Getting REAL sick of traits that encourage builds to stack CC.

Ovark.2514

@Vancho.8750 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Tbh some classes are just a mess right now. What I mean is that mechanically, their designs have tipped way too much into random AoE effects that are either completely passive, or once actively used they last way too long. Eles are the worst offender right now. They currently spit out a completely inordinate amount of animation stacked effects that last way way too long, half of them completely passive, with no real telegraphs until AFTER the skills are used.

I mean, imagine that vs. what it looks like when a Spellbreaker fights a SD Thief as example. <- The animations on these classes make sense and the combat still flows like a game with mechanics that is worth playing.

Holos has very deffined skills but ppl still dislike itThis kitten is also carried by random passive proc so no dice here.

Without passivr stuff pll would still complain about holo trust me

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Tbh some classes are just a mess right now. What I mean is that mechanically, their designs have tipped way too much into random AoE effects that are either completely passive, or once actively used they last way too long. Eles are the worst offender right now. They currently spit out a completely inordinate amount of animation stacked effects that last way way too long, half of them completely passive, with no real telegraphs until AFTER the skills are used.

I mean, imagine that vs. what it looks like when a Spellbreaker fights a SD Thief as example. <- The animations on these classes make sense and the combat still flows like a game with mechanics that is worth playing.

Holos has very deffined skills but ppl still dislike it

It was originally due to shockwave CC being waaaay too big for how it worked. It was OP.

Now it's because it has passive hard and soft CC for dodge rolling. It's too much.

Take away Flashbang and the class is fine.

Ye i agree with u but ppl will still complaim trust me xd

@wevh.2903 said:

Holos has very deffined skills but ppl still dislike itThis kitten is also carried by random passive proc so no dice here.

Without passivr stuff pll would still complain about holo trust meOf course they will cause it is PoF speck and PoF Specks are bad for pvp.

@Vancho.8750 said:

Without passivr stuff pll would still complain about holo trust meOf course they will cause it is PoF speck and PoF Specks are bad for pvp.

That makes 0 sense

@wevh.2903 said:

That makes 0 senseWhy is that, most PoF specks are not made with PVP in mind, they are bad for the mode.

@Vancho.8750 said:

That makes 0 senseWhy is that, most PoF specks are not made with PVP in mind, they are bad for the mode.

Why is holo bad for the mode? All well designed skills that u can dodge , scourge maybe but holo without flashbang is not a bad design

@wevh.2903 said:

Why is holo bad for the mode? All well designed skills that u can dodge , scourge maybe but holo without flashbang is not a bad design

To put it into perspective, taking a look at Flashbang from a standpoint of before people became used to it on Holo, imagine this:

1. Holosmith is already strong and always a top viable meta selection.
  2. Developers come up with the idea for Flashbang trait.
  3. Imagine what it could do if it were given to a Warrior or Revenant vs. other classes.
  4. Imagine what it could do if it were given to a Thief or Ranger vs. other classes.
  5. Imagine what it could do if it were given to a Necro or Mesmer vs. other classes.
  6. imagine imagining how powerful this trait is, and how much it would bolster any class it was given to, regardless of the build running it.
  7. Now imagine a developer looking at the current patching's class tier list. He notices that Holosmith is already a top 3 performing meta that crunches other classes/builds in 1v1s, has the most versatile utility by far out of any class in the game, and can hybrid job role no matter what position or situation it is in. Imagine the developer thinking this over very carefully, and still choosing to give Flashbang to the Holosmith.

Imagine balancing the game so that it was purposely imbalanced, and getting paid to do it.

@"Ovark.2514" said:I just fought a ele who did nothing but CC me and almost all the damage came from lightning rod. Why are you encouraging this type of "gameplay" anet?

Probably encouraging people to not treat PVP like a duel and add just a dash of strategy to their play. True, stunlock isn't fun and it's pretty crap ... but there are ways to beat it in most games ... and GW2 isn't an exception.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@"Ovark.2514" said:I just fought a ele who did nothing but CC me and almost all the damage came from lightning rod. Why are you encouraging this type of "gameplay" anet?

Probably encouraging people to not treat PVP like a duel and add just a dash of strategy to their play. True, stunlock isn't fun and it's pretty kitten ... but there are ways to beat it in most games ... and GW2 isn't an exception.

Your post doesn't make sense, that doesn't encourage that at all, what you're looking for is player awareness, because it's the same sort of gameplay people complained about when Full Counter actually did damage or eating any sort of cc. Since people want to stick to the whole new Anet Balance philosophy why is CC allowed to do damage via Lightning Rod? Lightning Rod should be gutted to apply a big stack of vuln and weakness, and do double digit damage since everything else does. Even though the better fix here would be to just rework shocking aura to apply stacks of vulnerability, do a small hit of damage when it procs( On a 1s ICD per unique target) and remove the stun since that's a problematic part of Lightning Rod interaction.

@Lucentfir.7430 said:

Probably encouraging people to not treat PVP like a duel and add just a dash of strategy to their play. True, stunlock isn't fun and it's pretty kitten ... but there are ways to beat it in most games ... and GW2 isn't an exception.

Your post doesn't make sense, that doesn't encourage that at all,

So not wanting to get stun locked doesn't encourage 1 vs 1 encounters? I think it does ,... well put it this way ... if you want to win and think strategically ... it does.

@Obtena.7952 said:

So not wanting to get stun locked doesn't encourage 1 vs 1 encounters? I think it does ,... well put it this way ... if you want to win and think strategically ... it does.

You're the one that's saying "it's to not encourage duels (1v1s) in pvp" about stun locking and I'm telling you that doesn't deter that thought, mainly because CC spam/stunlock (by itself) is a real killer when in fights with more than 2 people and you get trained down by people who do damage. By itself you could be a CC warrior and deal absolutely no damage. His complaint is he's getting CC spammed and getting most of the ele damage done to him by a trait that does damage on hard cc. Which goes against that recent balance philosophy that Anet pushed out that makes all CC's being the purpose for only CC etc.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

To put it into perspective, taking a look at Flashbang from a standpoint of before people became used to it on Holo, imagine this:
  1. Holosmith is already strong and always a top viable meta selection.
  2. Developers come up with the idea for Flashbang trait.
  3. Imagine what it could do if it were given to a Warrior or Revenant vs. other classes.
  4. Imagine what it could do if it were given to a Thief or Ranger vs. other classes.
  5. Imagine what it could do if it were given to a Necro or Mesmer vs. other classes.
  6. imagine imagining how powerful this trait is, and how much it would bolster any class it was given to, regardless of the build running it.
  7. Now imagine a developer looking at the current patching's class tier list. He notices that Holosmith is already a top 3 performing meta that crunches other classes/builds in 1v1s, has the most versatile utility by far out of any class in the game, and can hybrid job role no matter what position or situation it is in. Imagine the developer thinking this over very carefully, and still choosing to give Flashbang to the Holosmith.

Imagine balancing the game so that it was purposely imbalanced, and getting paid to do it.

Skills team and pvp balance team aren't the same. The skills team thought flash bang was cool and fun thematically - and it is. It's still not a well designed trait and the skills team should need an OK from the balance team for ANYTHING they add to the game, but it seems it works the complete opposite way which is ass backwards

so what is the big deal with Lightning Rod anyway ... don't really play much PvP because I just don't find it enjoyable but as far as I know it was considered a meme tier trait since it was added some time during core and dealt almost 2x the damage it currently does, until maybe the start of PoF.

I don't play PvP at all because I only like my friends to kill me in any game usually. Keeps my delicate feelings from not getting hurt so much. Still, how does Stability play into this issue as counterplay? That is something I have noticed more from my experience in PvE, how much more of counterplay it has become.

@Lucentfir.7430 said:

You're the one that's saying "it's to not encourage duels (1v1s) in pvp" about stun locking and I'm telling you that doesn't deter that thought, mainly because CC spam/stunlock (by itself) is a real killer when in fights with more than 2 people and you get trained down by people who do damage. By itself you could be a CC warrior and deal absolutely no damage. His complaint is he's getting CC spammed and getting most of the ele damage done to him by a trait that does damage on hard cc. Which goes against that recent balance philosophy that Anet pushed out that makes all CC's being the purpose for only CC etc.

You can believe what you want .. but anyone that doesn't want to get stunlocked doesn't run around solo or fight stunlock classes 1 vs. 1 ... and that's not JUST GW2 PVP either. That's ALL MMOs.

@Obtena.7952 said:

You can believe what you want .. but anyone that doesn't want to get stunlocked doesn't run around solo or fight stunlock classes 1 vs. 1 ... and that's not JUST GW2 PVP either. That's ALL MMOs.

You can believe what 'you' want, but you still haven't dismissed, answered, reasoned or disproved my post. The OP is clearly directing his focus towards Lightning Rod, not so much that he's stun locked. So why don't you tell the OP what you really mean by "add a dash of strategy to their play." since that's just super vague of a comment, give us some examples.

@Lucentfir.7430 said:

You can believe what 'you' want, but you still haven't dismissed, answered, reasoned or disproved my post. The OP is clearly directing his focus towards Lightning Rod, not so much that he's stun locked. So why don't you tell the OP what you really mean by "add a dash of strategy to their play." since that's just super vague of a comment, give us some examples.

Seems to me complaining about stacking CC IS what we are talking about here ... maybe you don't like I'm referring to that as stunlock; that's just a pedantic point. I really just don't feel like writing it all out everytime. I'm anticipating that people get the meaning and not hung up on exacting definitions. Examples of strategy to beat stunlock? Sure ... don't run around solo.

can you nerfs the attunements by a ton and increase the damage of ele autos? That'd be interesting. I wanna see an elementalist using a single auto instead of that sbsurd chain of CC and damage (direct if it's lightning rod, condi if it's earth/fire explosions) lolJust make them a tad weaker ok? Like you did to power mesmer, it can still one-shot looolll but it at least has no such absurd chain of invulnerability with CC

@Obtena.7952 said:

Examples of strategy to beat stunlock? Sure ... don't run around solo.

:lol: I said examples, as in more than one, but that's the sort of response I expected tbh since it seems like you're blowing smoke up people's chimney . What's to say you won't get stunlocked in a teamfight, then what other strategy do you have? :#

@Lucentfir.7430 said:

:lol: I said examples, as in more than one, but that's the sort of response I expected tbh since it seems like you're blowing smoke up people's chimney . What's to say you won't get stunlocked in a teamfight, then what other strategy do you have? :#

If you get stunlocked in a team fight, you are less likely to die than 1 vs. 1. Look, I'm not selling you a guarenteed way to not be killed from stunlock here. I don't know what examples you want to see ... I've PVPed plenty of times in teams where I got stunlocked and didn't die. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I've PVPed solo where I got stunlocked and it was a done deal for me. Draw your own conclusions; if you don't think grouping discourages stunlocks ... then don't. My experience suggests otherwise.

@Obtena.7952 said:

If you get stunlocked in a team fight, you are less likely to die than 1 vs. 1. Look, I'm not selling you a guarenteed way to not be killed from stunlock here. I don't know what examples you want to see ... I've PVPed plenty of times in teams where I got stunlocked and didn't die. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I've PVPed solo where I got stunlocked and it was a done deal for me. Draw your own conclusions; if you don't think grouping discourages stunlocks ... then don't. My experience suggests otherwise.

Then know what the heck you're spewing/typing before posting if you can't even give 'good' examples of what you mean. Maybe formulate a better post next time since all you've done is be vague with your posts and haven't backed up anything you've posted, and tried to be dismiss it with a simple "you can believe what you want". Take your own advice. This again wasn't a thread about getting stunnlocked, it was about how a trait(Lightning Rod) is doing a majority the ele's damage, even though CC doing damage is against Anet's whole February balance philosophy.

@Lucentfir.7430 said:

Then know what the heck you're spewing/typing before posting if you can't even give 'good' examples of what you mean.

I do know what I'm typing ... dying from being stunlocked is significantly reduced when you don't run around solo. My examples are the same as anyone elses ... not running around solo.

And to be fair, this thread is about the trait DPS and CC but if you don't think what I'm offering is real practical advice to address what the OP encountered ... well, I guess people can just keep believing that crying on the forums about losing is more effective solution.

Best moments I recall playing GW2 were in 2013 playing D/D thief into hammer warriors.Absolutely everything was telegraphed with clear visibility and almost no studying effects bars for random auras/abilities/minor trait passives/etc. such that the wins felt like you properly outplayed your opponent.

We have so much ability bloat and combat effect obfuscation today it's just crazy. Tack on the insane armor/infusion particle effects disco and it's hard to tell sometimes whether or not people are casting skills at all.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Ovark.2514 said:I just fought a ele who did nothing but CC me and almost all the damage came from lightning rod. Why are you encouraging this type of "gameplay" anet?

Then know what the heck you're spewing/typing before posting if you can't even give 'good' examples of what you mean.

I do know what I'm typing ... dying from being stunlocked is significantly reduced when you don't run around solo. My examples are the same as anyone elses ... not running around solo.

Apparently not if you can't even go in depth with your initial post's claim and you don't know what examples/reason to give, to further support your experience. You keep doing you though, since it's working out for you I guess.

@Ovark.2514 The real answer to that is Anet doesn't know how to balance.