Mastery Point Scam

Rikimaru.7890

Ok some people are offering others an easy way to reach the 3 mastery points that require the Griffon in return for tips.It's nothing but a scam because not only is it possible to reach all 3 without the Griffon if you have Gliding, but also you don't need them if you can't get the Griffon yet.To fully master all the mounts except Griffon you need 52 mastery points and there are 40 insights in PoF, without those 3 it's 37 you can reach with other mounts alone.Then you get 1 point for each mount you unlock so thats a total of 4 (5 if we include Griffon), next you get 12 from doing story missions first time.So that's already 53 points, but there are a few other you can get easy. By easy I mean they don't involve any scavanger hunting. There are 8 alone in Domain of Vabbi, which involve fighting or solving djinn riddles. There are also a few in the other areas that don't require much effort like the Forgotten puzzle in the Riverland, in total you can get 3-6 additional points with little effort. And once you do unlock the Griffon you can get those 3 insights on your own.

These people that "help" you are just too lazy regain the money they spent on getting the Griffon so they want you to give them yours.The only reason why people would do this is because they ran into a stone wall while training the other mounts because they don't do it properly.Well if that's the case then you are in luck as I have made a guide on how to train the mounts fast and efficiently, you can see it here:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/4111/mount-training-crash-course-spoilers#latest

So don't get scammed, you need those "tips" for your own Griffon, not to mention they won't even port you there but you need to use Teleport to Friend yourself.

1. I don't see how it's a scam. Unless the LFG specifically says something like "This is the ONLY way to get here without griffon", then the person isn't scamming.
  2. You're not required to tip anyone. If someone joins a squad for the purpose of teleporting to them, then they can simply do that and leave without tipping.
  3. Sometimes people just want the fast route to reaching a goal, and there's nothing wrong with that (as long as no cheating is involved).

Now, ignoring the "scam" talk, the rest of your post is quite helpful and makes good points, and your guide is also very good. Hopefully players see the guide and use it.

Don't sound like a true scam just a salty deal lol. Yea most mps ive seen thus far i found creative ways to say the least to get to. Don't wanna spoil the exploring side for others now. lol Plus theres a duffy guide if people want to shortcut. Google that if you wish i know of it, i prefer not to use it. I like doing things without having my hand held but each to their own. I've got the time to waste, so I'm not judging.

@Haishao.6851 said:It's not really a scam if you do get the mastery point.I definitely wouldn't pay for this and would most likely offer it to do it for free if I saw someone asking money for it though.

agreed same here personally I don't offer stuff like this for many reasons. i do like help people but I have other ways of doing that. I'm just strange about certain things. People would have much more fun getting them on their own make content last longer to, I feel. l guess thats why i wouldn't directly help em get MPs. Though at the same time, the people that really want to figure it all out will regardless, if one offers or not. Kinda like guides it's a choice of personal preference.

Don’t think I’ve ever used a single TP to friend. I have quite the stash of them in my bank. I never really understood how they were used. Since I know now, I think I’ll finally be able to get that one JP mastery in VB. (Tried that accursed thing maybe 30 times so far.) The mastery points for PoF have been the easiest to get outside of the central Tyria ones they added a couple months ago, in my opinion.

I've never been required to pay anyone for anything I've ever joined on for.. and due to alts, I am swimming in TP to friends. I'm bad with things that require sharp reflexes and precision jumps due to disability (seriously... it's not fun when I'm crying in frustration because I don't have the ability and can't react fast enough. There's a vista in Vabbi that ruined the whole fun of map completion for me) so I do appreciate all players who offer quick ports not just to certain MPs but also JPs, vistas, and POIs. I'd never get them otherwise.

Tipping is something that's up to you - do it or don't. No "scam" here, just players taking advantage of the fact not everyone has the patience or ability to get to certain things.

I havn't got PoF yet, due to lack of money atm, but if these groups are operating anything like how some of the JP Teleport groups work... There is absolutely potential for scam. Some of the JP teleport groups will stand at the start of the JP and advertise their group and wait for everyone to tip them before going to the end of the JP for others to teleport to them. Sometimes they will even leave the party after they have got their tips and leave the zone. This sort of behavior actually started back on GW1 with runner scams, where runners would request payment up front and then ditch everyone who they were supposed to be running after getting payed.

I didn't tip as I didn't know you needed to, and that was on the 2nd day the expansion came out.I knew nothing about the Griffon, I didn't know how much masteries I needed for mounts as I remember the pile of putrid essense known as HoT masteries that up to now I don't have enough so I wanted to get as much masteries as I can get.After learning I was kind of forced to do the story to get the hidden Griffon, was when I started to get more masteries than needed...Then I remembered they will probably add more masteries later so I started getting more bit by bit.

I'm not seeing how this is a scam though. People see a master and/or a bit of a completionist (I am in selective ways). They see a mastery, hard to get it, want to get it. They see someone offering a way to get it, they go get it. Simple.Also, not everyone have gliding.

Heh, I just got that VB mastery point yesterday. I was making star charts for Astralaria, and when it said one had to be made by the MP on a canopy airship, I naturally assumed they were sending me to the impossible JP. So I spent hours getting to the top of it....only to discover I was supposed to be on the other airship with the easy-to-reach MP. Oh, well--I got my impossible MP, and so did four of my guildies with teleports.

Back to topic, as long as they are delivering what they promise, it isn't really a scam. I almost never tip (Not-so-secret JP was an exception) and certainly avoid people offering portals for a fee, but there's no reason to prevent people who would rather spend the gold for an easy way up. And people who've put in the work and expense of getting a griffon probably feel entitled to make some loot from their new abilities.

They are asking for tips because they are using their own time to help you. They are not demanding you pay them. Can easily use them then leave. This is not scam.

It's the same as mesmers who ask for tips for JPs. You don't have to pay them, but if you feel like they did help you then you can tip.

Like the Ember Bay JP. I have tipped mesmers who helped with that because it is bloody hard and annoying as certain spots and they are taking their time to help for free and just ask for tips if you can afford it and feel like they earned it.

For what I know, in the policy of the game: To ask for money - even as a "tip" - for activities like porting up a JP, gathering nodes in home instance or equivalent is scam and can lead to be banned. I must say honestly that I have not know and heard first about it in old forum, when reading a thread about a player who had been banned for asking "tips" for gathering at his home instance. Following that, an answer has included all details to clarify the rule. Unfortunately, I can no more find it. Maybe someone know where to look for that?

@"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:For what I know, in the policy of the game: To ask for money - even as a "tip" - for activities like porting up a JP, gathering nodes in home instance or equivalent is scam and can lead to be banned. I must say honestly that I have not know and heard first about it in old forum, when reading a thread about a player who had been banned for asking "tips" for gathering at his home instance. Following that, an answer has included all details to clarify the rule. Unfortunately, I can no more find it. Maybe someone know where to look for that?

Most of time time they don't ASK for tips. I see them saying "tips welcome". That should be perfectly fine imo. I don't see why/how that would be a bannable offense. Crazy.

@Saraneth.6021 said:

@"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:For what I know, in the policy of the game: To ask for money - even as a "tip" - for activities like porting up a JP, gathering nodes in home instance or equivalent is scam and can lead to be banned. I must say honestly that I have not know and heard first about it in old forum, when reading a thread about a player who had been banned for asking "tips" for gathering at his home instance. Following that, an answer has included all details to clarify the rule. Unfortunately, I can no more find it. Maybe someone know where to look for that?

Most of time time they don't ASK for tips. I see them saying "tips welcome". That should be perfectly fine imo. I don't see why/how that would be a bannable offense. Crazy.

Hum... Not sure if it is fine. You are playing with words. At the end, this is a way to ask for money. Anyhow, sorry, this is not my point. As said, it is only that I recall about this from previous forum and would be glad if someone could put again here the complete answer. Should have marked it. I would like to know the official text about that.

@Dreamy Lu.3865 said:

@Saraneth.6021 said:

@Dreamy Lu.3865 said:For what I know, in the policy of the game: To ask for money - even as a "tip" - for activities like porting up a JP, gathering nodes in home instance or equivalent is scam and can lead to be banned. I must say honestly that I have not know and heard first about it in old forum, when reading a thread about a player who had been banned for asking "tips" for gathering at his home instance. Following that, an answer has included all details to clarify the rule. Unfortunately, I can no more find it. Maybe someone know where to look for that?

Hum... Not sure if it is fine. You are playing with words. At the end, this is a way to ask for money. Anyhow, sorry, this is not my point. As said, it is only that I recall about this from previous forum and would be glad if someone could put again here the complete answer. Should have marked it. I would like to know the official text about that.

Not really playing with words. A single word or punctuation can change the meaning entirely.

Like: "Wife not getting any better, come home soon," vs, "Wife not getting any, better come home soon."

How is this a scam? "Tips appreciated" doesn't mean they ask you for money, but if you feel like it you can send them some :P I used several tp to friends to reach a few masteries, and didn't feel like tipping whoever I teleported to. I mean, reaching a MP, posting in lfg and going afk isn't exactly a lot of effort lol. I'd do the same if I would leave the game running and do other things, but I'm usually to busy playing to stand around.

Archived