How can people enjoy WvW?

Lenti.3189

6 hours ago, KrHome.1920 said:

1. You don't look like a mod, so don't tell me what to answer and what not! Thanks.

2. The WvW situation is exactly the same, if not worse, today.

Let me try that again since my word choice did not convey the proper point. I wouldn't recommend trying to reply to people's points that were made three years ago if you want them to reply since they might not be around to continue the conversation. You might better be served by replying to current replies since this post was necro'd from three years ago. Hope that makes more sense then my briefer attempt at saying it.

That said, I agree our sandbox needs more sand. As far as playing and don't enjoy, why don't you if you don't me asking? I do still enjoy the game mode else I wouldn't play. I also play due to the people and friends as well. But if I didn't enjoy the game mode, I wouldn't be posting nor playing. Do we need more changes, yes. Are they extremely slow in changes to the game mode, yes.

To get to those changes though we need more of the why, where and what. Personally, we need maps, we need more reasons to win, we need new options in fighting be that in siege options, more tactics that be deployed, review of exiting tactic and replacements for those not used, improved guild missions, a better more active goals and bounties and better rewards. I leave rewards as last as they are trying that currently, just not sure I agree with the first pass so far. I don't state balance for a number of reasons and would need a post all on its own versus a 2 minute clarification.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Burnfall.9573 said:

Burn...can we get some details here? I admit I have asked Mez to not use this still on toons before because it takes a bit to understand you didn't revive due to a kill/relay and have an illusion of life which means your rotation may need to be vastly different depending on what just happened. I don't put this on any of my Mez toons for the same reason. So what point are you trying to make exactly? The video did not convey any that my tired mind could see. So what is the point on he link you would like to convey?

5 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Burn...can we get some details here? I admit I have asked Mez to not use this still on toons before because it takes a bit to understand you didn't revive due to a kill/relay and have an illusion of life which means your rotation may need to be vastly different depending on what just happened. I don't put this on any of my Mez toons for the same reason. So what point are you trying to make exactly? The video did not convey any that my tired mind could see. So what is the point on he link you would like to convey?

I do not think it is healthy for WvW  and should be removed. 

• Confused 2

18 hours ago, Burnfall.9573 said:

I do not think it is healthy for WvW  and should be removed. 

Unless used in a zerg versus a small group it quite often results in a death for the player that its applied to. Players will often assume they rallied and or were revived and then not realize they are on a timer to get a kill and therefore fall back down. I think this one has enough tradeoffs and it effective range is low enough, its not that much of a BiS personally. But I appreciate the reply and detail. Good hunting!

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2023 at 5:41 PM, TheGrimm.5624 said:

To get to those changes though we need more of the why, where and what. Personally, we need maps, we need more reasons to win, we need new options in fighting be that in siege options, more tactics that be deployed, review of exiting tactic and replacements for those not used, improved guild missions, a better more active goals and bounties and better rewards.

Completely agree with what you are writing and I would add other small updates to give something more to this community of players. Hence the reflection is, but why has development decided to run aground with alliances? that will not carry even one of the small suggestions you mentioned. And why again and again do players ask for alliances when? What will you ever achieve with this infamous alliance? A purpose? A reason to get involved? to participate? Please enlighten me.

Because I believe that the little time available for development, should go to what is needed in WWW and perhaps not in alliances.

Edited by Mabi black.1824

In trying to get the Warclaw, it is actively making me hate the game mode because it takes so long, and you basically have to hope that your fellow players took the reward track for speed.  Even with speed boosts, you feel left in the dust.

It's actively making me regret starting the whole process.  Which I'm sure isn't the developer's intentions.  It's just the time from A to B on a track takes way way too long.  I have no problem unlocking things, but when it feels like the bar doesn't move when I progress in the game, you kinda failed to hide your treadmill.

2 hours ago, PeterRedhill.3182 said:

In trying to get the Warclaw, it is actively making me hate the game mode because it takes so long, and you basically have to hope that your fellow players took the reward track for speed.  Even with speed boosts, you feel left in the dust.

Most players I've run with seem to be well over the 1.2k WvW rank you need to max every trait line so I don't think that is as big of an issue as you may think. The real issue is that the buff is only shared if you stay near them for some duration of time (like 5-10s), remain by them, and stay out of combat. So you often find that even if you get the boost they may double lunge (or you get tagged by an enemy npc) and you are suddenly out of range with no way to keep up. Most groups I've run into though will slowdown and avoid the other movement skills if you let them know you are working on warclaw

Edited by Aetheros.4203
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

Completely agree with what you are writing and I would add other small updates to give something more to this community of players. Hence the reflection is, but why has development decided to run aground with alliances? that will not carry even one of the small suggestions you mentioned. And why again and again do players ask for alliances when? What will you ever achieve with this infamous alliance? A purpose? A reason to get involved? to participate? Please enlighten me.

Because I believe that the little time available for development, should go to what is needed in WWW and perhaps not in alliances.

I think Alliances will be introducing a new type of bandwagon personally and make them legit under the name of Alliances. I think Alliances will muster more of the, 'Can you get off the  map so we can have more of our own' mentality even more back that is still seen on some servers. The WR project itself has merit, and again as before I say this from the server pride side of the discussion, since its intent is to rebalance population and handle when servers were open too long or where servers were just left with low populations. The question is can the WR sorting system balance out the bandwagon aspect of the Alliance portion of the project? I don't have an answer for that.

I do dislike that everything else for the most parts waits behind the WR project, hence would prefer it get done or other things occur with it. Take the new events for fighting around objectives, positive changes but where is the rest of it and the bug fixes for the pieces that were released? Again still a big fan of the sandbox we have but the potential that's there is huge and left unanswered, and the clock ticks on. 

3 hours ago, PeterRedhill.3182 said:

It's actively making me regret starting the whole process.  Which I'm sure isn't the developer's intentions.  It's just the time from A to B on a track takes way way too long.  I have no problem unlocking things, but when it feels like the bar doesn't move when I progress in the game, you kinda failed to hide your treadmill.

On this one, they need to add a Warclaw rental. The previous change on reducing the time till Warclaw Blessing is acquired and expanding the radius were good changes though.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Aetheros.4203 said:

Most players I've run with seem to be well over the 1.2k WvW rank you need to max every trait line so I don't think that is as big of an issue as you may think. The real issue is that the buff is only shared if you stay near them for some duration of time (like 5-10s), remain by them, and stay out of combat. So you often find that even if you get the boost they may double lunge (or you get tagged by an enemy npc) and you are suddenly out of range with no way to keep up. Most groups I've run into though will slowdown and avoid the other movement skills if you let them know you are working on warclaw

That and the player on the WC needs to not double jump, which means they will fall behind. As the saying goes in different games, if the dodge on your Warclaw isn't on cooldown you aren't moving as fast as you can. 

17 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

I usually hang back with stragglers if I see them running on foot for a while...... then half the time you see them mount up and it's the hair pulling moment, why didn't you do that before instead of wasting my time and making me drop back from the pack too!

🤭

lol, I asked a few why you do this, and they said it was safer to clean my bag. I nodded to them as I rode off a cliff while cleaning my on the Warclaw. Oops, bye /wave

36 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

lol, I asked a few why you do this, and they said it was safer to clean my bag. I nodded to them as I rode off a cliff while cleaning my on the Warclaw. Oops, bye /wave

lol I don't have that problem as I have my inventory on the right side and not in the middle of the screen. 🤭

3 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

lol I don't have that problem as I have my inventory on the right side and not in the middle of the screen. 🤭

Wot!? Use sense! How dare you!  And not entertain your havoc while you ride off a cliff, it would be munity I say! Especially when you ask them why didn't they stay on tag and follow! Course just means I get to call for haybale practice while moving thru RBL. 

lol, recently saw a pugmander tag take their zerg over a cliff planning on them using the hay bales and needed to get to rezzing when 90% died in the fall. Shared that when we did the last haybale test and there was more laughter than groans. 😉 

2 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Wot!? Use sense! How dare you!  And not entertain your havoc while you ride off a cliff, it would be munity I say! Especially when you ask them why didn't they stay on tag and follow! Course just means I get to call for haybale practice while moving thru RBL. 

lol, recently saw a pugmander tag take their zerg over a cliff planning on them using the hay bales and needed to get to rezzing when 90% died in the fall. Shared that when we did the last haybale test and there was more laughter than groans. 😉 

Use the kitty to grapple the wall on the way down, roll a d20 and hope it hits some safe spots. 🤭

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Instead of opening a new thread I'll give my opinion here. I always have the impression, WvW was meant to be played differently than it is played. It feels like people play ist like.. work. Not for fun. It's only about running around in a huge group doing the things the commander does. I even joined the TS-channel of the group. It was so kitten boring. It was only run here, then run there. Then maybe you meet an enemy group, stay away from each other, but shoot aoe on the ground far away. If you are melee you have no chance to do anything but die or heal. You get your loot anyways so it doesn't matter. 

In my mind it seems like it was meant that people roam freely and help each other out, build a few groups, raid a tower or something together.. but not this... zerg. What is this.. and if you don't have as many points as the others they run away with their mounts most of the time. If you are new you don't get anything. At best, you get that it is best to run with the huge group. And I do it every now and then. But it always gets boring so quickly. 

It's so weird, there are parts of GW2 I think are better and more exciting than in any other MMO or even game and then there are things that seem so.. messy and... just not fun. Like WvW. And it's so sad to me.. I hate what WoW has become, but I liked every part of WoW back then. But WvW is just.. a mess. PvP is also totally unbalanced. But playing a MMO only for the PvE part is also.. meh. and that's why I started with GW2 a lot of time and lost it again everytime. Some things are so amazing. And some things are just .. meh. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, michixlol.9340 said:

Instead of opening a new thread I'll give my opinion here. I always have the impression, WvW was meant to be played differently than it is played. It feels like people play ist like.. work. Not for fun. It's only about running around in a huge group doing the things the commander does. I even joined the TS-channel of the group. It was so kitten boring. It was only run here, then run there. Then maybe you meet an enemy group, stay away from each other, but shoot aoe on the ground far away. If you are melee you have no chance to do anything but die or heal. You get your loot anyways so it doesn't matter. 

In my mind it seems like it was meant that people roam freely and help each other out, build a few groups, raid a tower or something together.. but not this... zerg. What is this.. and if you don't have as many points as the others they run away with their mounts most of the time. If you are new you don't get anything. At best, you get that it is best to run with the huge group. And I do it every now and then. But it always gets boring so quickly. 

It's so weird, there are parts of GW2 I think are better and more exciting than in any other MMO or even game and then there are things that seem so.. messy and... just not fun. Like WvW. And it's so sad to me.. I hate what WoW has become, but I liked every part of WoW back then. But WvW is just.. a mess. PvP is also totally unbalanced. But playing a MMO only for the PvE part is also.. meh. and that's why I started with GW2 a lot of time and lost it again everytime. Some things are so amazing. And some things are just .. meh. 

The weird thing, to me at least, is that I completely agree that parts of GW2 are more exciting and fun than almost any other game Ive played...and those parts center around WvW. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, michixlol.9340 said:

In my mind it seems like it was meant that people roam freely and help each other out, build a few groups, raid a tower or something together..

That's exactly how I always played the game and its still happening often enough to make it worthy to roam. You probably just need to get a good solo roaming build, get good with it and accept that you will die alot!

Most servers have some dead times maybe you need a server more active when you usually play.

Despite the boring and frustrating moments WvW is still a great game!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michixlol.9340 said:

Luckily running with a tag isn't the one and only way to enjoy wvw. The difference is when people come in wvw and expect hand holding from a tag because that's all they got out of running map meta events in pve. But there's a multitude of roles to fill, roaming, clouding, pugging, small organized, zerg organized, guild organized, commanding, scouting, defending, capturing, upgrading, messing with players or groups with stuff like pulls, etc, with multiple specs to use for them.

Yeah balance is a total mess, just have to play around it, while the clowns in the basement figure things out. While you might think other parts of gw2 are fun, there's going to be someone that just as well finds wvw to be the fun part and pve totally boring snoozefest, some of us have been playing it for 10 years, so there's gotta be something fun in it somewhere. The moment to moment scenarios are constantly changing and random in wvw. Following a tag around like a champ train is bound to get boring, just mix it up to keep things fresh.

Edited by XenesisII.1540
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, michixlol.9340 said:

There's being in that group and there's trying to catch those people running to the group. You can call it roaming or whatever. This isn't open world pvp and the maps are triangles broken down into three smaller triangles. Everything's going to get funneled. It's not like there's any exploration or story stuff to do. That's how you get your bag in WvW.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, michixlol.9340 said:

Running in a Zerg or even a Warband (24 for those not familiar with the term) is not mandatory. Servers will vary mind you but Havoc groups and roaming solo are also still quite valid. Even if you choose to run in a Havoc doesn't mean you can't reconnect with your main groups if its needed. Even solo roaming there are lots of options and you can set your own challenge level. Sounds like what you may be looking for is a havoc group. 

As far as game mode, people still remain the most unpredictable game element so you never know what you will get in any given hour or day. Our sand could use some refreshing in the box but players still create new content daily. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, michixlol.9340 said:

This is the danger of using an old thread and I would recommend using a new one in this sub forum for topics. Over time these topics shift as players migrate across modes and games and topics shift. Using older threads might encourage new readers to review older posts that may no longer be the same as when posted at the time. 

Edited by TheGrimm.5624
Edit: double link issue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1