How can people enjoy WvW?

Lenti.3189

On 12/20/2020 at 10:18 AM, Dawdler.8521 said:

Well, you have over 1500 hours of PvE.

Was that great the first couple of hours? Where you able to jump from map to map and find some dragon boss killing action? Was people tagged up for level 80 metas in the starter zones? Did you know where every heart, waypoint and event was or did you have to run and find them? Did you know how to build your character for open world performance?

Come back when you have over 1500 hours in WvW and we can discuss the more detailed experience.

Since you're the one espousing the idea someone play 1500 hours in some trashy game mode maybe swing this ball back at you.

I hope this answers your question @XenesisII.1540

• Confused 4

Didn't realize this was a necro thread, was pretty sure we had a more recent fun in wvw thread around here...

51 minutes ago, Lunarwolf.5698 said:

Since you're the one espousing the idea someone play 1500 hours in some trashy game mode maybe swing this ball back at you.

Dawdler wasn't stating it takes 1500 hours to figure out wvw.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Didn't realize this was a necro thread, was pretty sure we had a more recent fun in wvw thread around here...

Dawdler wasn't stating it takes 1500 hours to figure out wvw.

In context to the OP and discussion at large there is little else to assume otherwise. I mean he did directly state Play 1500 hours then we'll talk unlike mesmers you aren't warping or twisting anything here the language is there read it. 

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, Lunarwolf.5698 said:

I did as the topic fit the sentiment I wanted to share in my post. Irrespective of time I see little reason to make a new thread where one has been established. Cheers.

I do not blame you because what is the point of creating hundreds of the same threads when History is already there to point the way that nothing changed and it is the same old kitten like last time.

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

7 hours ago, Lunarwolf.5698 said:

I probably have 1500 more hours in WvW three years after that post, but I'm not sure OP has. Maybe he'll answer three years after he made this topic, that he's still playing WvW and maybe even got good at it. You can grow and learn quite alot in three years.

I mean I cant be the only one with a WvW fetish and stick around here just to keep posts on top of play hours 🤔

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

I probably have 1500 more hours in WvW three years after that post, but I'm not sure OP has. Maybe he'll answer three years after he made this topic, that he's still playing WvW and maybe even got good at it. You can grow and learn quite alot in three years.

I mean I cant be the only one with a WvW fetish and stick around here just to keep posts on top of play hours 🤔

Or he completely quit the game entirely I choose not to assume either way. You did point toward reaching 1500 hours game play in wvw and I will 100% disagree with that sentiment as you will know if a mode is for you or not within a few hours of trying it out. 

Before someone asks, Yes I like pvp but Escape from Tarkov is entirely different kind of pvp I wouldn't push anyone to play 1500 hours of just to validate their opinion like you did.

Edited by Lunarwolf.5698
  • Confused 4

9 minutes ago, Lunarwolf.5698 said:

"as you will know if a mode is for you or not within a few hours of trying it out."

Fortunately not everyone has the quitter's mentality that you do, so please do keep your projections for yourself.

We get it already. You don't like WvW, as you've mentioned in the only 5 posts you've ever made on the forums which are all contained in this thread. Maybe go do something else for an hour and decide you know everything about it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

And you're assuming I am a quitter thanks considering I dabbled with wvw through all the ten years since core launched and never once seen the appeal if that's quitting? Fine, not that I wanted to play 1500 hours of it in the first place which is entirely the point I was making which I'll reiterate. Its okay to not like a game or a mode within a game.

WvW lovers are like Bungie fanatics from Destiny 2 say one ill thing about their game or any of their modes send in the white knights armed with cudgels.

Lastly how I spend my time isn't of concern to you or anyone for that matter, maybe your time would be better spent elsewhere but thank you for taking the time to spend it here. Cheers.  

Edited by Lunarwolf.5698
  • Confused 3

I'm not sure why this thread needed to go on like this.  

If you login to the wrong server at the wrong time, then WvW has no competition exactly as the OP pointed out.  Either you're smothered, or the map is empty.

The reason many of us play is that we've logged in at other times when it was competitive, and at those times I find it the most excitement I can have in an MMO. 

To the OP, if the times you login suck, that's your answer.

• Confused 1

On 8/13/2023 at 10:46 AM, Lunarwolf.5698 said:

Its okay not to like a game mode. Everyone seems to forget this simple truth. I don't see the appeal in wvw and only here because I am weary of hearing left right and center about how great wvw is and I simply don't see it at all.

Wait, people talk about WvW?

Sorry, that's the least believable part of your post. And if you are weary of hearing positive opinions about it , then I can't see how coming here would have helped.

I've never really understood the point of referencing to years old posts made by people that probably aren't around to defend or explain themselves. Well guess Dawdler still exists though. 🤣

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Lunarwolf.5698 said:

I did as the topic fit the sentiment I wanted to share in my post. Irrespective of time I see little reason to make a new thread where one has been established. Cheers.

You followed policy, the question is whether or not that policy fits all subforums, to me it doesn't. Old posts just confuse issues.  What's worse is this seems to have started in general 3 years ago. General was the appropriate place for non-WvWers to ask for means to obtain something that can only be obtained in WvW since they were saying they wanted a way to gain that item outside of the mode. Moving it to this subforum was more than likely a questionable call at best. From general they might have had a better discusssion since here WvW players will point out that GoBs are easy and quick since all you have to do is play the game mode they enjoy. Where as in general they might have had more people to bounce ideas off of and had more potential to come up with other avenues for example a currency exchange system. In WvW players instead would return well how do they gain GoE or GoM and such by just WvWing and back and fourth. PvE is getting OW Leggo gear after many years of back and fourth. In a previous version of the forums WvW had to do the same. The downside to using a necro thread versus making a new point is that it just lends to confusion and additional back and fourth, plus for any poster in the prior thread it doesn't mean that their point wasn't valid then due to the environment even if it means they may feel different now due to whatever (yes peanut gallery I know limited mind you) changes might have occurred since then in the environment.

So new OP, what is your points? Or are you claiming that this is just an account change and you are the original OP with a new account name? If not, please make your own points versus trying to use another poster as a target for replies since people will often start at the top of a thread and move threw it.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Lunarwolf.5698 said:

Or he completely quit the game entirely I choose not to assume either way. You did point toward reaching 1500 hours game play in wvw and I will 100% disagree with that sentiment as you will know if a mode is for you or not within a few hours of trying it out. 

Before someone asks, Yes I like pvp but Escape from Tarkov is entirely different kind of pvp I wouldn't push anyone to play 1500 hours of just to validate their opinion like you did.

Maybe he just didnt enjoy WvW then and I'm pretty sure nobody asked about Escape from Tarkov 🤷‍♂️

44 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Maybe he just didnt enjoy WvW then and I'm pretty sure nobody asked about Escape from Tarkov 🤷‍♂️

No but someone did say if you like PVP of any form wvw is for you. How is that 1500 hours ridiculousness holding out for you? I gave wvw a try plenty of times and I don't even need to soak hours learning a game mode that doesn't fascinate me the way that a different genre of pvp excites me I had more fun in a single extraction in Escape from Tarkov over all the combined hours I did pay toward wvw. I know how dastardly it is for me to use another game here but preferences are that. Something that seems to escape the lot of you who commented with exception to MedievalThings.5417 who answered best.

Edited by Lunarwolf.5698
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Lunarwolf.5698 said:

No but someone did say if you like PVP of any form wvw is for you. How is that 1500 hours ridiculousness holding out for you? I gave wvw a try plenty of times and I don't even need to soak hours learning a game mode that doesn't fascinate me the way that a different genre of pvp excites me I had more fun in a single extraction in Escape from Tarkov over all the combined hours I did pay toward wvw. I know how dastardly it is for me to use another game here but preferences are that. Something that seems to escape the lot of you who commented with exception to MedievalThings.5417 who answered best.

The question is, what are you looking for though? The people here that do find it fun can share those details. The people that have issues with it can also share those. There will be people that can do both. WvW is a sandbox where you create your own fun. 

The original poster was trying to grind their way thru GoBs, is that the issue here? 

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

The question is, what are you looking for though? The people here that do find it fun can share those details. The people that have issues with it can also share those. There will be people that can do both. WvW is a sandbox where you create your own fun. 

The original poster was trying to grind their way thru GoBs, is that the issue here? 

Maybe a less convoluted means to duel someone that doesn't require one enter a wvw map or other instance like in most other mmos. maybe a fresh coat of paint (retexturing assets) and making the landscape a little more visual aesthetic. What ever it is, it isn't there in wvw for me.

This one may cut but with so many assumptions about me I figured why not throw some salts out there. When has the last time wvw been even touched in terms of released content? If wvw is such the bastion of great gameplay and a defining feature to gw2 and so popular why is it so neglected? Perhaps it isn't as popular as you all like to think it is. As I stated before I am weary of the cringe that distorts my face anytime someone suggests wvw to me either in discord or guild chat. maybe is it conceivable that perhaps some over promote a promising concept and have the inverse affect. Here I am the inverse effect to state my opinion that runs counter to all the chatter and anyone that wishes to stand there arguing semantics and what I should like and how many hours to play instead of respecting my opinion and leaving it be.

Thanks to you all for the feedback I will leave you all some peace and wishes toward happier gaming.

• Confused 4

10 minutes ago, Lunarwolf.5698 said:

As I stated before I am weary of the cringe that distorts my face anytime someone suggests wvw to me either in discord or guild chat.

Well at least you got it out of your system by latching on to my three year old post, glad to be of assistance.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Well at least you got it out of your system by latching on to my three year old post, glad to be of assistance.

Actually it was the thread's name sake that fit the mindset going in. Your post was kitten and I had to call out BS as I seen it. Don't flatter yourself you weren't any assistance except making yourself look like the kitten I suspected you were before but now verified.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

7 minutes ago, Lunarwolf.5698 said:

Actually it was the thread's name sake that fit the mindset going in. Your post was kitten and I had to call out BS as I seen it. Don't flatter yourself you weren't any assistance except making yourself look like the kitten I suspected you were before but now verified.

... you never actually read the OP did you?

This thread is a bad faith rant about the "hardships" of getting GoB while using his "1500 hours of PvE and some sPvP" as a weapon against WvW (by playing about 8h every day for 7 months straight apparently, pretty hardcore).

I made an appropriate response turning his 1500 hour weapon against him. This thread is the same as if someone posted a rant about how anyone can enjoy PvE raids and using 1500 hours of WvW as a weapon against that. Sorry if you cant see this thread for what it is.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 12/20/2020 at 10:18 AM, Dawdler.8521 said:

Well, you have over 1500 hours of PvE.

Was that great the first couple of hours? Where you able to jump from map to map and find some dragon boss killing action? Was people tagged up for level 80 metas in the starter zones? Did you know where every heart, waypoint and event was or did you have to run and find them? Did you know how to build your character for open world performance?

Come back when you have over 1500 hours in WvW and we can discuss the more detailed experience.

I don't see this distinction in your post and sorry I happen to know English. Try worming out of the ULTIMATUM you made no one else. Good bye and your bad faith argument BS.

• Confused 4

7 hours ago, Lunarwolf.5698 said:

I don't see this distinction in your post and sorry I happen to know English. Try worming out of the ULTIMATUM you made no one else. Good bye and your bad faith argument BS.

Ultimatum to who? If you would actually read the OP instead of twisting in a knot to intentionally misrepresent what I said by ignoring the context of this thread, you'd see that the OP never once responded. It was never about understanding why people enjoy WvW or engaging the WvW community in discussion. It was just a rant about getting GoB. It wasnt the first and I'm pretty sure it wont be the last.

This argument is the eqvivalent of someone going "hey, you're kitten!"someone else responding "oh yeah? Well you're kitten too!" and then a third person coming in years later going "is that a personal attack or something?!?!"

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

How can people enjoy PvE? PvP? Fracts? People enjoy what they enjoy. I find PvE boring af myself. WvW vibes with me so thats my mode. If you like it great, if not then great. 🙂

Exactly... there are not so much people that enjoy all game modes or activities, generally they stick to one or two game mode and/or activity and that's it.

Anet's fault (one among many) is to try to force people playing all contents and game mode to get stuff for gear like the GoB, most likely under the illusion that putting people in another game mode than the one they came to play will make them discover it and they will like it and keep on playing... except that it's a load of bull and it does not work this way.

@Dawdler.8521 is right way when he opposes 1500h of PvE to 1500h of WvW: ask any player doing almost exclusively WvW that has to do some PvE meta-events for gear (vision, aurora, etc...) and the first reaction is "WTF is this kitten???" and resent having to do it, same as the experienced PvEr that does not care for WvW having to play it for GoB.

And PvP, would that be the WvW or the sPvP brand can be harder for the PvErs to go in than PvE for WvWers to go in PvE, specially if they do it on their own, because they have to discover the do and dont by themselves, against players that know them and will not pause to check if you are a beginner or not (and ranks means nothing: the amount of veteran WvWers i know that have low ranked smurf account is quite important).

This obligation to do different game modes to be able to get some better gear is an idiotic idea from Anet and should never have been done.
Better have gear progression path available in all game mode and if you want to have ppl try a competitve mode, then do a special week once every 4 or 6 months with special rewards (they used to do that) so that player try it on their own choice rather than forced.