Will EoD add a new type of mount to work toward?

What do you think, will there be a special mount for the expansion? I sure hope so, and I hope it is a lore filled story filled journey like the griffon mount. IMHO griffon had the most wonderful storyline that kept me interested. So can we expect a new mount and what will it be if they do one? Im thinking a flying cloud would be cool.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather thinking about what kind of mount that would look cool, think about what the mount could bring to the table. They can always be repurposed as gemstore skins anyways

The flying cloud mount sounds like what a Skyscale is. And you can already get a flying cloud as a glider anyways.

a completely new mount type? i believe it is unlikely as mounts were one of PoF's features as gliding was HoT's... EoD would probably have something new on the table for us.

a new mount skin for existing mounts that we can unlock ingame via collections + with some Canthan lore background on it? yes please.

a new mount or interactable (like the charr cars/tanks) that you can only use in a specific instance (forging steel) or meta (drizzlewood)? more likely than adding a new mount type. maybe a story instance thing or a new meta will likely have us riding and using something Canthan made just for that though

EDIT:

also this

@runeblade.7514 said:Rather thinking about what kind of mount that would look cool, think about what the mount could bring to the table. They can always be repurposed as gemstore skins anyways

we've got all the movement types covered by the existing mounts, as said.

we have:5 land based mounts (raptor,jackal,warclaw,springer,beetle)1 speed mount (beetle)1 surfing/diving mount (skimmer)2 aerial mounts (skyscale, griffon)1 jumping/vertical mount (springer)

i dont see how they can add more to what's already on the list. new mount skins are more than likely though just like how we got lots of new glider skins in PoF's time.

@runeblade.7514 said:Rather thinking about what kind of mount that would look cool, think about what the mount could bring to the table. They can always be repurposed as gemstore skins anyways

The flying cloud mount sounds like what a Skyscale is. And you can already get a flying cloud as a glider anyways.

An airship then. Something out of the ordinary, why shoot it down, we dont know what they are planning. For all you know they may add copters and siege machine mounts in the expansion. We dont know, but one thing I do know developers read these forums, and every once in a while they read an interesting idea and go with it. Its great to discuss, because they may be thinking , hmm that would be a cool thing to add. I just want something that has a journey with an amazing story to acquire, like the griffon.

@Astyrah.4015 said:a completely new mount type? i believe it is unlikely as mounts were one of PoF's features as gliding was HoT's... EoD would probably have something new on the table for us.

a new mount skin for existing mounts that we can unlock ingame via collections + with some Canthan lore background on it? yes please.

a new mount or interactable (like the charr cars/tanks) that you can only use in a specific instance (forging steel) or meta (drizzlewood)? more likely than adding a new mount type. maybe a story instance thing or a new meta will likely have us riding and using something Canthan made just for that though

PoF introduced mounts, there is no law that says they cant continue them in the next expansion going forward. This is an expansion, not a LWS anything is possible. I dont understand why these forums are so quick to say..no anet wont do that. Maybe they wont do it because people are so negative about it, if you support it they may think about it.

The Canthan skin set will be for gems if it exists at all when EoD is released. I hope that they do a new mount but my hopes are pretty limited. Mounts was the selling point of PoF, Masteries was the selling point of HoT. My bet is that Tengu will be the selling point for EoD.

@Zuldari.3940 said:PoF introduced mounts, there is no law that says they cant continue them in the next expansion going forward. This is an expansion, not a LWS anything is possible. I dont understand why these forums are so quick to say..no anet wont do that. Maybe they wont do it because people are so negative about it, if you support it they may think about it.

it's more about the possible new mount - if they will ever make one - not being redundant. there's nothing more they can add to the list -- maybe a speed type underwater mount just like the beetle was for land based mounts, maybe we can get one underwater but that may just make the skimmer completely obsolete just like what skyscale did to springer (not in all cases but yeah)

@MokahTGS.7850 said:The Canthan skin set will be for gems if it exists at all when EoD is released. I hope that they do a new mount but my hopes are pretty limited. Mounts was the selling point of PoF, Masteries was the selling point of HoT. My bet is that Tengu will be the selling point for EoD.

Well my hope is they add a new race/class/ thing for the expansion, but can also add a new mount themed to the zone.

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@Zuldari.3940 said:PoF introduced mounts, there is no law that says they cant continue them in the next expansion going forward. This is an expansion, not a LWS anything is possible. I dont understand why these forums are so quick to say..no anet wont do that. Maybe they wont do it because people are so negative about it, if you support it they may think about it.

it's more about the possible new mount - if they will ever make one - not being redundant. there's nothing more they can add to the list -- maybe a speed type underwater mount just like the beetle was for land based mounts, maybe we can get one underwater but that may just make the skimmer completely obsolete just like what skyscale did to springer (not in all cases but yeah)

Hmm that seems very limited, think about cantha what mount theme would fit? Doesnt have to be an animal.

@Solanum.6983 said:I could see a fast underwater mount since we have both practical and fast versions for land and air but only skimmer for underwater but I guess a need for a mount like that all depends on how much of the jade sea we'll be traversing in EoD.

Isnt the Jade sea crystalized? I never played GW and im still new to this game in a way.

@Zuldari.3940 said:Hmm that seems very limited, think about cantha what mount theme would fit? Doesnt have to be an animal.

but sure i'll play along, for something fast underwater, an eel like dragon that can dash like the beetle underwater might be something Canthan-ish.

my knowledge of marine biology sucks so i have few ideas which fish or marine animal or fantasy marine animal would swim the fastest.

for something not animal... a new charr+asuran tech submarine! lol

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@Zuldari.3940 said:Hmm that seems very limited, think about cantha what mount theme would fit? Doesnt have to be an animal.

but sure i'll play along, for something fast underwater, an eel like dragon that can dash like the beetle underwater might be something Canthan-ish.

my knowledge of marine biology sucks so i have few ideas which fish or marine animal or fantasy marine animal would swim the fastest.

for something not animal... a new charr+asuran tech submarine! lol

What about the moving structures that the Luxons use? Thats why airships or landships come to mind, i was reading the history of the zones.

@Zuldari.3940 said:

@Astyrah.4015 said:a completely new mount type? i believe it is unlikely as mounts were one of PoF's features as gliding was HoT's... EoD would probably have something new on the table for us.

PoF introduced mounts, there is no law that says they cant continue them in the next expansion going forward. This is an expansion, not a LWS anything is possible. I dont understand why these forums are so quick to say..no anet wont do that. Maybe they wont do it because people are so negative about it, if you support it they may think about it.

This topic comes up frequently enough (search forums to see). The suggestion to consider how the mount works is most important.

HoT introduced new travel options with gliders, wallows and mushrooms. PoF introduced mounts as travel options. Assuming EoD introduced more travel options one might expect them to be unique to EoD and include new or different takes on existing travel methods.

So what unique space is available for the devs to explore in EoD? Will it work outside of the EoD zones?

As an aside, I get the general feeling that rehashing existing mounts or other content will be a let down for a lot of the community looking for something totally new.

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:

This topic comes up frequently enough (search forums to see). The suggestion to consider
how
the mount works is most important.

HoT introduced new travel options with gliders, wallows and mushrooms. PoF introduced mounts as travel options. Assuming EoD introduced more travel options one might expect them to be unique to EoD and include new or different takes on existing travel methods.

So what unique space is available for the devs to explore in EoD? Will it work outside of the EoD zones?

As an aside, I get the general feeling that rehashing existing mounts or other content will be a let down for a lot of the community looking for something totally new.

I agree it needs to be able to work in all the zones maybe a spider mount that can skitter/climb straight up. Because while we have the skyscale it still can run out of juice and its a laborious process climbing up sheer mountains/ cliffs / structures. Plus the spider or arachnid special ability could be web and pull enemies and afflict them with venom, or web and pull its self from peak to peak wall to wall, be able to walk on any surface even upside down.

I agree that the biggest barrier to adding a new mount is trying to think of something it could add to the existing options, instead of just being a slight variation on something we've already got. I think the only idea I've seen which hasn't been done is a slow mount with high health that can act a bit like a tank. (Real life tank, not the RPG group role.) That could fit with the Canthan theme because in GW1 there were siege turtles which were literal living tanks - the Luxons attached canons to their backs to use in battle. But they'd have to come up with some excuse for making them smaller because the GW1 versions were also huge.

The other suggestion I've seen is two-player mounts, but apparently there's technical problems in making that work. (If I remember correctly mainly the fact that the second player would lose all control of their character and there isn't an easy way to let them get off when they want.)

It wouldn't surprise me if they want to do something new and different instead of just more mounts. It might even be something other than movement options, since I think the game has those pretty well covered. I'm not sure what that new system could be however. I'm trying to think what other games have that GW2 doesn't (because it's easier for me to think of it like that and I don't want to spend all day on this post, not because I think GW2 couldn't or shouldn't have original ideas) and I can't think of anything which could fit. There's systems like housing of course, but I don't think that would work as the 'big' expansion feature like mounts or gliding because it's usually pretty self contained and only likely to appeal to certain people. Maybe a new content type, or some form of 'hard mode'?

@Zuldari.3940 said:I agree it needs to be able to work in all the zones maybe a spider mount that can skitter/climb straight up. Because while we have the skyscale it still can run out of juice and its a laborious process climbing up sheer mountains/ cliffs / structures. Plus the spider or arachnid special ability could be web and pull enemies and afflict them with venom, or web and pull its self from peak to peak wall to wall, be able to walk on any surface even upside down.

Apparently they considered a spider mount for PoF which would do exactly that and some combination of being unable to get the movement working right and the fact that arachnophobia is relatively common (compared to other phobias) meant they decided not to include them. Now I think it's even less likely because while it might not be the fastest process the skyscale (sometimes in conjunction with the springer) can climb most things to the point where you run out of objects with collision to climb or hit an invisible wall/ceiling.

@Zuldari.3940 said:

This topic comes up frequently enough (search forums to see). The suggestion to consider
how
the mount works is most important.

I agree it needs to be able to work in all the zones maybe a spider mount that can skitter/climb straight up. Because while we have the skyscale it still can run out of juice and its a laborious process climbing up sheer mountains/ cliffs / structures. Plus the spider or arachnid special ability could be web and pull enemies and afflict them with venom, or web and pull its self from peak to peak wall to wall, be able to walk on any surface even upside down.

A Spider that could wall climb is an interesting start. It's dismount attack could be snaring mobs in place. It's special movement ability could be a 'web hop' using its web to shoot out a thread and pull you along or up a short distance. Similar to Oakheart but with lower range. It could have slower vertical climbing than a Springer or Skyscale, but it doesn't require a ledge to stop on.

You would want to balance it so it doesn't make another mount unnecessary, and doesn't trivialize other content like JP.

@Zuldari.3940 said:

@Solanum.6983 said:I could see a fast underwater mount since we have both practical and fast versions for land and air but only skimmer for underwater but I guess a need for a mount like that all depends on how much of the jade sea we'll be traversing in EoD.

Isnt the Jade sea crystalized? I never played GW and im still new to this game in a way.

My bad, I meant Unending Ocean since we'll be dealing with the Deep Sea Dragon but also maybe jade sea too depending on what they want to do with that area.

New mount? Unlikely, but considering how well the mount skins sell (for some unfathomable reason), 100% sure there will be more of those. Of course, the fact that they are so popular and sell well means that PoF will not be the only expansion which requires mounts to progress, or at the very least are required for some masteries. They will probably add PoF and HoT along with EoD for the same price as soon as it's released.

Unlikely.. and tbh I hope not.Leaving mounts as a PoF era thing is probably the best option but I would not be against expanding the existing mounts with new abilities in future content.Much like the Skimmer got that whole underwater ability which finally filled in the much needed role of an underwater mount, negating the need for a new mount to fill that role.

I don't really see anywhere they can really justify whole new mounts now.. not since we can expand the abilities of the old ones to do those same jobs without creating a superior/inferior issue between new and old mounts.

I'd like End of Dragons new thing to be just that, something entirely new and innovative that doesn't replace what came before.. not just a cut and paste rehash of an old mechanic like mounts.. that's not fun.

@Teratus.2859 said:Unlikely.. and tbh I hope not.Leaving mounts as a PoF era thing is probably the best option but I would not be against expanding the existing mounts with new abilities in future content.Much like the Skimmer got that whole underwater ability which finally filled in the much needed role of an underwater mount, negating the need for a new mount to fill that role.

I don't really see anywhere they can really justify whole new mounts now.. not since we can expand the abilities of the old ones to do those same jobs without creating a superior/inferior issue between new and old mounts.

I'd like End of Dragons new thing to be just that, something entirely new and innovative that doesn't replace what came before.. not just a cut and paste rehash of an old mechanic like mounts.. that's not fun.

Mounts are not old mechanics, they are fun and interactive. I mean you dont have to use your mounts, you can run everywhere, not use them to attack mobs. Mounts are an addition to a game.

if a new mount my bet is on a full extreme high speed flying mount with great air mobility but very very slow on land.

And starting time need quite long that way it will be new fly mount for long distance and skyscale for when u search ur way and griffon when u exactly know where u want to be.

EOD will follow the trend of less waypoints