Pay to win grindfest MMO version of Guild Wars 2.

@Veprovina.4876 said:Also - potions!!! HAHAA, totally forgot those existed! Dekaron also had potion healing, but also a dedicated healer class so if you played that one, you were never looking for a party, they were looking for you! :wink: And of course, half decent potions were cash shop exclusive! :smiley:

i forgeted potions also lol.

Ppl say Gw2 is too easy, but they forget every other MMo is just a matter of how many potions u have to life forever and kills anything. u dont even need learn dodge, just drink the heal potion!.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@kenny.7236 said:Just copy & paste from Runes of Magic

Yeah, except two especially annoying things are missing:

• You can expand your mini-inventory with additional bad slots through gem store, true. But it's not buying, it's time-based renting.
  • The good loot is always soul-bound when you pick it up. There is of course an item in the gem shop to unbind it so you can sell it in TP.

At least that's how I remember it from eight years ago. I think there is an option to buy some bag slots now instead of only rent, but it's bundled with other stuff in a really expensive package.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:i remembered also most of these game the loot is "world wide"(i didt know exact words for this), i mean, when a mob drop loot, the players have to catch item from ground, and the loot will only for the 1st to catch it..... them some guilds that organize farm expensive items and sell and divide the profit,,, lolz.

Ah yes! The things we take for granted lol! I completely forgot how loot works in other games. :smiley:Yeah, i also don't know what to call it, but i know what you mean, someone can steal your loot basically.I mean, even gathering in some games is "global" as in, nodes don't spawn for each person separately, who gets there first gets the node.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:Also - potions!!! HAHAA, totally forgot those existed! Dekaron also had potion healing, but also a dedicated healer class so if you played that one, you were never looking for a party, they were looking for you! :wink: And of course, half decent potions were cash shop exclusive! :smiley:

i forgeted potions also lol.

Ppl say Gw2 is too easy, but they forget every other MMo is just a matter of how many potions u have to life forever and kills anything. u dont even need learn dodge, just drink the heal potion!.

Especially if there's a cash shop version of the potions. I know some game that have potions have cooldowns on them so you can't spam them. But the cash shop potions don't have a cooldown lol. And then some allow potions in PvP lol. Especially if there's open world player killing in the game. The one with the potions is unkillable lol.

@yoguil.7320 said:

@"kenny.7236" said:Just copy & paste from Runes of Magic

Yeah, except two especially annoying things are missing:
  • You can expand your mini-inventory with additional bad slots through gem store, true. But it's not buying, it's time-based renting.
  • The good loot is always soul-bound when you pick it up. There is of course an item in the gem shop to unbind it so you can sell it in TP.

At least that's how I remember it from eight years ago. I think there is an option to buy some bag slots now instead of only rent, but it's bundled with other stuff in a really expensive package.

The bolded part... LOL this seriously exists? :sweat_smile: That's basically a hidden "gem to gold feature". You pay premium currency to be able to sell it for in game one lol.

@"kenny.7236" said:You can invite buyer to your dungeon party to buy boss loot that is inspected but before greed or need phase.

True, but it's a very limited window of opportunity before the loot vanishes. And it's a matter of trust to get your gold/your item. And it doesn't take away the matter of nice gear dropping you'd like to transfer to another toon of your own... I have fond memories on Runes of Magic, but stuff like this drove me away. GW2 is so much more relaxed money-wise.

Edit: I have a friend still playing RoM and not willing to come over to GW2 - the sunken cost thing, you know. He spends about 50 EUR per year for this "free2play" game, mostly bag slot rentals and these unbinders. Well, it's his money...

@"yoguil.7320" said:Edit: I have a friend still playing RoM and not willing to come over to GW2 - the sunken cost thing, you know. He spends about 50 EUR per year for this "free2play" game, mostly bag slot rentals and these unbinders. Well, it's his money...

That amount doesn't even sound that bad, but i mean... Renting bag slots. LOL :sweat_smile:

You forgot the entire grindfest of upgrading gear.

I.e. chance-based upgrading gear tier from rare to exotic to ascended to legendary, requiring expensive upgrade materials for an enhancement process that improves chance on failed enhancement and takes a lot of gold and mats per enhancement try.

Thanks BDO....

Oh, can I ever play this game...

-Each account has a limited supply of Energy. Entering into any map, dungeon, raid, or instance costs 15-25 Energy. Energy replenishes at a fixed rate of 1 per hour. "Restore 10 Energy" items can be purchased in the Store, or claimed from "Special Promotions".-Additional Professions, functionally and visually the same but numerically more powerful than existing professions, are available by purchasing Class Tickets. Trade 10 Class Tickets to perform a Class Pull, which have a chance to provide you with Professions rated on a scale of 1 to 5 (but actually 7, or 9) Stars. Fuse 6 lower Star rank Professions into a FREE Class Ticket! Be sure to equip them on your favorite Characters! because they're Character Bound!-Raiding and Questing reward only special Blueprints! Single-use items that let you spend your hard-earned cash and materials, as well as 8-72 Hours to unlock, with only a 33% chance to fail and return nothing! Unless you buy a special Crafting Booster, which reduces the fail rate to only 10%! Make sure you collect all five Blueprints, plus the rare Master Print to create your item!

(Please never ever EVER do this, ANet. Thanks!)

Raids are locked to one per week per raid, but this is per character rather than per account. In a raid, one legendary will drop off one boss. There is a small loot table so you often get the same legendary drop week after week. A need before greed is implemented, as all legendary drops are character-bound. The thief rolls need before greed on the healing gear you have run that raid over and over again to get. The thief gets the legendary healing chest. Bonus points for having dungeons, where you can build up a legendary set by doing multiple dungeons where each boss drops a different set piece. The boss drops the same set piece for all classes. Run the dungeon over and over and only have the thief, warlock, and warrior gear drop. Each time you do the dungeon and the warrior gear drops, you happen to be running with a warrior who doesn't have that item. You also need that gear as the gear for your class isn't dropping. Fail to get a complete set of legendary gear after 100 runs of each dungeon. Become the guild meme of someone who hasn't completed their gear set.

Introduce a legendary chest piece that requires you to complete a very long quest chain, including a raid that randomly drops one item needed. Everyone doing the legendary chest piece requires the same drops in the same amounts. You finally get your legendary chest piece after 3 months of doing the story/dungeons/raids.

Have a 40-person raid that only large guilds can do. It requires a certain amount of fire resistance in order to not die at the start. Run a dungeon/raid over and over just to get a specific piece of gear with fire resistance because you desperately need it in order to get your overall fire resistance to minimum. Finally get the gear.

Expansion comes out two months later. The second quest in the expansion has a common item reward that has better stats than your legendary chest piece. Your fire resistance gear is also useless.

So basically Black Desert? xDJust one thing tho:Infusions are a 0.000257% rare drop. < We're kinda already there xD (well at least we can still work towards some of them)

There sure are many things gw2 could improve on, but man what horrible games are out there.Black Desert for example had an IMMENSE potential and got totally screwed by greed, and like that one so many others. Sigh.

My mmorpg experience will probably end with Anet, so I really hope that they'll be around as long as possible and produce games with a similar approach about monetization in the future.

What's scary is I've encountered most of OP's P2W ideas in other MMOs. At the time I encountered them, I did think it was overly restricting but if everybody else had the same restriction it was OK. Upon finding much better MMOs like GW2 or FFXIV I realized how slower the pace of P2W games are if you're playing free-to-play. I remember playing Fiesta Online and after playing for a year or so I was only like level 30 or something by the time I quit.

Don't forget the fashion wars aspect of the game!

We don't have to use wardrobe space to be able to share dyed cosmetics across all characters, and either make do with the few measly spots you get to start, or buy more space in the cash shop.

We don't have to buy special dye for our mounts either, that are not account-wide but per character and sold in groups of four so that you can't just buy the color you want but have to buy the whole pack (looking at you, LOTRO).

@"Trise.2865" said:Oh, can I ever play this game...

-Each account has a limited supply of Energy. Entering into any map, dungeon, raid, or instance costs 15-25 Energy. Energy replenishes at a fixed rate of 1 per hour. "Restore 10 Energy" items can be purchased in the Store, or claimed from "Special Promotions".-Additional Professions, functionally and visually the same but numerically more powerful than existing professions, are available by purchasing Class Tickets. Trade 10 Class Tickets to perform a Class Pull, which have a chance to provide you with Professions rated on a scale of 1 to 5 (but actually 7, or 9) Stars. Fuse 6 lower Star rank Professions into a FREE Class Ticket! Be sure to equip them on your favorite Characters! because they're Character Bound!-Raiding and Questing reward only special Blueprints! Single-use items that let you spend your hard-earned cash and materials, as well as 8-72 Hours to unlock, with only a 33% chance to fail and return nothing! Unless you buy a special Crafting Booster, which reduces the fail rate to only 10%! Make sure you collect all five Blueprints, plus the rare Master Print to create your item!

(Please never ever EVER do this, ANet. Thanks!)

Oooh, the "better more powerful classes" thing is looow lol, does this really exist in some game or did you come up with it yourself? Cause that's blatant pay to win lol, and exactly perfect for this thread! :smiley: Good addition! :smile:

@Hesione.9412 said:Raids are locked to one per week per raid, but this is per character rather than per account. In a raid, one legendary will drop off one boss. There is a small loot table so you often get the same legendary drop week after week. A need before greed is implemented, as all legendary drops are character-bound. The thief rolls need before greed on the healing gear you have run that raid over and over again to get. The thief gets the legendary healing chest. Bonus points for having dungeons, where you can build up a legendary set by doing multiple dungeons where each boss drops a different set piece. The boss drops the same set piece for all classes. Run the dungeon over and over and only have the thief, warlock, and warrior gear drop. Each time you do the dungeon and the warrior gear drops, you happen to be running with a warrior who doesn't have that item. You also need that gear as the gear for your class isn't dropping. Fail to get a complete set of legendary gear after 100 runs of each dungeon. Become the guild meme of someone who hasn't completed their gear set.

Introduce a legendary chest piece that requires you to complete a very long quest chain, including a raid that randomly drops one item needed. Everyone doing the legendary chest piece requires the same drops in the same amounts. You finally get your legendary chest piece after 3 months of doing the story/dungeons/raids.

Have a 40-person raid that only large guilds can do. It requires a certain amount of fire resistance in order to not die at the start. Run a dungeon/raid over and over just to get a specific piece of gear with fire resistance because you desperately need it in order to get your overall fire resistance to minimum. Finally get the gear.

Expansion comes out two months later. The second quest in the expansion has a common item reward that has better stats than your legendary chest piece. Your fire resistance gear is also useless.

Haha, i quite enjoyed the story lol, it feels very... Personal. :tongue: Like it happened to you. Did it? :smile:Cause i feel like i know a few (a lot) MMOs that would fit the description. :tongue:The ending was perfect!

@"Erick Alastor.3917" said:So basically Black Desert? xDJust one thing tho:Infusions are a 0.000257% rare drop. < We're kinda already there xD (well at least we can still work towards some of them)

There sure are many things gw2 could improve on, but man what horrible games are out there.Black Desert for example had an IMMENSE potential and got totally screwed by greed, and like that one so many others. Sigh.

My mmorpg experience will probably end with Anet, so I really hope that they'll be around as long as possible and produce games with a similar approach about monetization in the future.

I got BDO for free with some promotion one time, and the moment i found out you can minimise the game and automate your "training" in the background, that was a bit of a downer for me lol. Like, how about instead of making it a grind that you have to literally afk on the game to achieve, just make it organically increase while playing? Lol... I didn't even open the cash shop but i imagine there's a lot of "stuff" to talk about there as well, right?The game looks nice and the combat is pretty good but i just couldn't get into it.

About infusions, i meant to imply that ALL infusions (even required fractal ones) are a drop, not just the shiny ones. :smile:

And i've been thinking about my MMO experience as well. I too think mine will end with GW2, as sad as that may be. GW2 is the only MMO that i could find that tried to be a game first, then a business model second. I never felt like i had to keep buying something to not be behind. Hell, i even went on a long-ish hiatus after PoF, came back and just picked up where i left with no catching up. Sure it has its "problems" but compared to what's out there, they're negligible in the grand scheme of things. Doesn't mean they have to be overlooked, but you know...

@"LolLookAtMyAP.8394" said:What's scary is I've encountered most of OP's P2W ideas in other MMOs. At the time I encountered them, I did think it was overly restricting but if everybody else had the same restriction it was OK. Upon finding much better MMOs like GW2 or FFXIV I realized how slower the pace of P2W games are if you're playing free-to-play. I remember playing Fiesta Online and after playing for a year or so I was only like level 30 or something by the time I quit.

Haha, you think i came up with that on my own? Sure i exaggerated some points, but those are basically all the "business practices" and "game features" i too encountered in my previous MMO experiences. :wink: And yeah, it's scary what's out there. GW2 ruined me for what i look for in other MMOs and realistically, i don't think i'm going to find it anywhere else.

I see a lot of people comparing FFXIV to GW2. Are they really that similar?

@Kaliwenda.3428 said:Don't forget the fashion wars aspect of the game!

We don't have to use wardrobe space to be able to share dyed cosmetics across all characters, and either make do with the few measly spots you get to start, or buy more space in the cash shop.

We don't have to buy special dye for our mounts either, that are not account-wide but per character and sold in groups of four so that you can't just buy the color you want but have to buy the whole pack (looking at you, LOTRO).

Yeah, i have to say, the wardrobe system is pretty relaxed in here.Just recently, i found one youtuber that's new to GW2 and he was very surprised that he could dye his armor for free lol. Just goes to show that what we take for granted isn't really a thing in other MMOs.

@"Hesione.9412" said:Raids are locked to one per week per raid, but this is per character rather than per account. In a raid, one legendary will drop off one boss. There is a small loot table so you often get the same legendary drop week after week. A need before greed is implemented, as all legendary drops are character-bound. The thief rolls need before greed on the healing gear you have run that raid over and over again to get. The thief gets the legendary healing chest. Bonus points for having dungeons, where you can build up a legendary set by doing multiple dungeons where each boss drops a different set piece. The boss drops the same set piece for all classes. Run the dungeon over and over and only have the thief, warlock, and warrior gear drop. Each time you do the dungeon and the warrior gear drops, you happen to be running with a warrior who doesn't have that item. You also need that gear as the gear for your class isn't dropping. Fail to get a complete set of legendary gear after 100 runs of each dungeon. Become the guild meme of someone who hasn't completed their gear set.

Haha, i quite enjoyed the story lol, it feels very... Personal. :tongue: Like it happened to you. Did it? :smile:Cause i feel like i know a few (a lot) MMOs that would fit the description. :tongue:The ending was perfect!

Yep, I was the guild meme. It was a running joke - in a good-natured sense. It was a great guild, there was always at least four other people interested in doing something when you wanted to do something. Sadly it disbanded when the first expansion came out, there weren't multi-servers, and people went their own ways.

There is also: grind rep for multiple factions as you require exalted rep to purchase a specific item that you need for raids because it is best-in-class. Best case: you start off with neutral rep. Worse: you start off unfriendly. Unfriendly normally requires you to find one of the faction who won't kill you on sight, and then do "kill this mob" multiple times so you can become neutral. There are specific quests to do for each rep level. Each rep level requires you to gain more rep points. For gaining the higher rep levels, as well as diminishing returns on the previous rep level AND having to do more rep points, the tasks at the lowest rep level don't credit any more. You have a set number of tasks you can do, each day, to get rep. BONUS: each expansion shifts the goalposts so, just like the long-time-to-achieve armor, your faction-related items become useless. Have new factions introduced. Rinse and repeat.

You also spend your days farming and working the TP because each death costs you something in the order of 25 gold, as repairing costs increase with armour value.

Leave the game and never return.

@Hesione.9412 said:

@Hesione.9412 said:Raids are locked to one per week per raid, but this is per character rather than per account. In a raid, one legendary will drop off one boss. There is a small loot table so you often get the same legendary drop week after week. A need before greed is implemented, as all legendary drops are character-bound. The thief rolls need before greed on the healing gear you have run that raid over and over again to get. The thief gets the legendary healing chest. Bonus points for having dungeons, where you can build up a legendary set by doing multiple dungeons where each boss drops a different set piece. The boss drops the same set piece for all classes. Run the dungeon over and over and only have the thief, warlock, and warrior gear drop. Each time you do the dungeon and the warrior gear drops, you happen to be running with a warrior who doesn't have that item. You also need that gear as the gear for your class isn't dropping. Fail to get a complete set of legendary gear after 100 runs of each dungeon. Become the guild meme of someone who hasn't completed their gear set.

Yep, I was the guild meme. It was a running joke - in a good-natured sense. It was a great guild, there was always at least four other people interested in doing something when you wanted to do something. Sadly it disbanded when the first expansion came out, there weren't multi-servers, and people went their own ways.

There is also: grind rep for multiple factions as you require exalted rep to purchase a specific item that you need for raids because it is best-in-class. Best case: you start off with neutral rep. Worse: you start off unfriendly. Unfriendly normally requires you to find one of the faction who won't kill you on sight, and then do "kill this mob" multiple times so you can become neutral. There are specific quests to do for each rep level. Each rep level requires you to gain more rep points. For gaining the higher rep levels, as well as diminishing returns on the previous rep level AND having to do more rep points, the tasks at the lowest rep level don't credit any more. You have a set number of tasks you can do, each day, to get rep. BONUS: each expansion shifts the goalposts so, just like the long-time-to-achieve armor, your faction-related items become useless. Have new factions introduced. Rinse and repeat.

You also spend your days farming and working the TP because each death costs you something in the order of 25 gold, as repairing costs increase with armour value.

So which game was that?

@"Hesione.9412" said:Raids are locked to one per week per raid, but this is per character rather than per account. In a raid, one legendary will drop off one boss. There is a small loot table so you often get the same legendary drop week after week. A need before greed is implemented, as all legendary drops are character-bound. The thief rolls need before greed on the healing gear you have run that raid over and over again to get. The thief gets the legendary healing chest. Bonus points for having dungeons, where you can build up a legendary set by doing multiple dungeons where each boss drops a different set piece. The boss drops the same set piece for all classes. Run the dungeon over and over and only have the thief, warlock, and warrior gear drop. Each time you do the dungeon and the warrior gear drops, you happen to be running with a warrior who doesn't have that item. You also need that gear as the gear for your class isn't dropping. Fail to get a complete set of legendary gear after 100 runs of each dungeon. Become the guild meme of someone who hasn't completed their gear set.

I could add 100 things to that...but here's a few:

Dungeons with optional bosses that are much harder than anything else in the place, meaning that no-one will ever go there. And then put dungeon gear set pieces on it.Dungeons with "hard modes" that turn the bosses into raid bosses and give all the other mobs 360° cleaves, making it impossible for melee and non-CC classes to get runs. And then put raid attunements behind them. (at least initially)Raids with easy bosses that are behind hard bosses, meaning it takes an hour to clear all the way to the easy boss.An expansion where nearly all of the slow-swinging 1H raid weapons are main-hand only for no reason, meaning one class in particular can't get a suitable off-hand weapon until the hard boss mentioned in the above point.An achievement that involves fishing coins out of fountains, that everyone says is really hard but for some reason you complete it reasonably quickly. (and get whispers off guildies as a result)An achievement where you have to get killed by a big dragon. And it's hard.A "profession" that involves flying around and digging up pots, which is rigged so you can never collect the last item in each set.A "pet battle" system where the base RNG code is lazy/flawed, meaning that a 5% miss/dodge chance will occur 2-3 times in a row. A lot.*A "Bonus Roll" system for raids that you buy every week, and when you roll on a particular boss it'll give you either a negligible amount of gold or an item off the loot table that you already have. (unless you run it for months and get at least 8 copies of the item you already have before finally getting that OP class trinket that everyone else has)

@Veprovina.4876 said:

So which game was that?

I'm going to guess here: Neverwinter.

@robertthebard.8150 said:

So which game was that?

I got my answer in the private message, but i won't post it here for that reason. If the poster of that story wants to reveal it, they can post it here themselves, sorry. :wink:

@robertthebard.8150 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:So which game was that?

I took it to private as I feel that the specific game is unimportant to this public discussion, and would end up derailing the thread. The thread is about awful changes that could be made to GW2. My perspective is that the awful elements are the ones to focus on, not the particular game in which they occur.

In case anyone is thinking about this: no PMs to me about that game. Anyone who PMs me about it will be ignored.

@Hesione.9412 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:So which game was that?

I took it to private as I feel that the specific game is unimportant to this public discussion, and would end up derailing the thread. The thread is about awful changes that could be made to GW2. My perspective is that the awful elements are the ones to focus on, not the particular game in which they occur.

In case anyone is thinking about this: no PMs to me about that game. Anyone who PMs me about it will be ignored.

It's not an earth shattering event to not know, I just made a guess about what it might be. I understand completely what the thread is about, and didn't need any passive aggressive comments about PMs, I don't send unsolicited PMs, especially not about irrelevant stuff.

Kinda sounds like Allods online, ther adionaly you got 6 runes that increst your dmg/def, adional stat scrols, and much more xd

TP prices are in 750.000 gold range, ascended are tradeable and cost millions, legendaries cost billions of gold.
yep definitly Allods xd oh god thx i achived ther evrythink and run from it xd