Make pets perma-stowable in combat in WvW only [Simple request after so many years]

kappa.2036

As everyone knows, pets are a downgrade in WvW gvg/zerg. No matter how good you position yourself, pets simply can't dodge anything and die to random aoe damage. Also dead pets always follow you and can reveal your team's position to the enemies after a veil . Someone can simply say "Just play soulbeast", and i indeed play it already, but i think both druid and maybe a future elite specialization can offer nice utilities but they simply can't be played at higher levels cause of the pet.

My suggestion is simple: allow pets to be perma-stowable in wvw only and allow them to be stowed also when fighting. This will allow rangers to make pets appear only when needed (for example for an F2) and then make them disappear again. Of course you will not get any benefit from traits or skills while your pet is stowed, but atleast it will be available when needed.

Please Anet.

Edited by kappa.2036
  • Like 6

38 minutes ago, Some Call Me Tim.2319 said:

Problem solved.  

No.

"just swap pet" ... homeless people?! Just buy a house.

From time to time i really think that people working on this game think just like this guy and then i understand y several decisions were made.And that small idea suddenly makes sense.

Next time i see a bs change made to the game ill go: " Good job Tim,nice f*** balance patch" lol

Edited by ilMasa.2546
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, ilMasa.2546 said:

No.

"just swap pet" ... homeless people?! Just buy a house.

From time to time i really think that people working on this game think just like this guy and then i understand y several decisions were made.And that small idea suddenly makes sense.

Next time i see a bs change made to the game ill go: " Good job Tim,nice f*** balance patch" lol

Not sure I understand the flippant response.  Swapping pets is exactly what I’ve done in those situations and it works just fine.  If that’s not something you can manage I’m sorry, but really there’s no reason for that response.  

I support this change. Tim doesn't know what he's talking about honestly (no offense)...

Just being able to stow them and not have them come out when they want to is already a good change especially when coming off a mount as a druid/core ranger (why run this lol). If it's broken and they pop up with full health then it would be an issue , but if health is saved then it isn't. Swapping pets has a cooldown after all and you cannot control when you are receiving stealth sometimes : "We Heal as One" only copies boons and stealth isn't a boon.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

I support this change. Tim doesn't know what he's talking about honestly (no offense)...

Just being able to stow them and not have them come out when they want to is already a good change especially when coming off a mount as a druid/core ranger (why run this lol). If it's broken and they pop up with full health then it would be an issue , but if health is saved then it isn't. Swapping pets has a cooldown after all and you cannot control when you are receiving stealth sometimes : "We Heal as One" only copies boons and stealth isn't a boon.

I’ve played ranger for years. I know how it works. I don’t understand the attitude really. 

Frankly I actually think the requested change would be nice, and I support  the idea as well.  In the meantime I do know what I’m talking about and seriously there’s no reason to fire shots when this is apparently suppose to be a forum where ideas are shared... Yes?

You wrote in a WVW forum section : just swap pets. How is that a solution for anyone running a non-soulbeast ranger? It's a comment that shows utter lack of understanding of the fundamental problems addressed in detail in the first post.

Also if you were playing ranger for years in WVW you are doing it wrong, I've had this debate with a ranger on my server that refuses to swap from druid and then wonders why nobody wants them in squad or even near their squad. They then get super offended when told that their full commander's druid adds little to no value to any squad. I wouldn't have wrote that you don't know what you were talking about if 1. this wasn't the WVW subforum 2. your first reply is not in support of the suggestion but "just swap pets. problem solved" (a non solution with no added value input to the thread).

P.S. playing druid in PVE instances or in openworld PVE "for years" is not a substitute for WVW experience in a WVW subforum

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 2

In the past I've suggested a skill that would do this but no one ever seems to listen.

"Good boy!"
Command.
Lure your pet to come in close so you can slit its throat and eat its heart to gain power. Your pet wont return until you die. 20% chance of failing and instantly dying due to the pet killing you instead.

• Haha 5

18 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

In the past I've suggested a skill that would do this but no one ever seems to listen.

"Good boy!"
Command.
Lure your pet to come in close so you can slit its throat and eat its heart to gain power. Your pet wont return until you die. 20% chance of failing and instantly dying due to the pet killing you instead.

Lmao, this made me chuckle.

In response to the OP, I really don't see why this can't be an option, even in PvE if somebody desires. Would be a really nice QoL. 

2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

"Good boy!"
Command.

you do know that you can press F3 and have your pet stay right with you instead of attacking.  If you really don’t want the pet to attack and be away from you then press F3 and have him just follow you around like a nice little puppy dog. 

4 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

You wrote in a WVW forum section : just swap pets. How is that a solution for anyone running a non-soulbeast ranger? It's a comment that shows utter lack of understanding of the fundamental problems addressed in detail in the first post.

Also if you were playing ranger for years in WVW you are doing it wrong, I've had this debate with a ranger on my server that refuses to swap from druid and then wonders why nobody wants them in squad or even near their squad. They then get super offended when told that their full commander's druid adds little to no value to any squad. I wouldn't have wrote that you don't know what you were talking about if 1. this wasn't the WVW subforum 2. your first reply is not in support of the suggestion but "just swap pets. problem solved" (a non solution with no added value input to the thread).

P.S. playing druid in PVE instances or in openworld PVE "for years" is not a substitute for WVW experience in a WVW subforum

The fundamental problem outlined in the OP, and I quote part of it: 

"Also dead pets always follow you and can reveal your team's position to the enemies after a veil"

The issue is that "dead pets follow you".  

Hitting the swap pet key and allowing the new pet to appear beside you instead of the other one limping along the field IS a solution in the current way this game is set up.  Frankly it's the only solution to a limping pet... for those that aren't soulbeasts.  For a soulbeast you just hit the merge key and poof he's gone.  

I haven't done it wrong before soulbeast and I'm certainly not playing my soulbeast wrong since I seem to know how to handle the pets.  

I agree with the OP though that it would a great QOL for rangers to have a "stow pet" option.  I support it.  But what I'm saying in the current game play is not wrong and frankly you can continue to disagree if you wish, I don't mind.. but don't insult me by telling me I don't know what I'm talking about when I have PLAYED it that way long before soulbeast came out and had it work perfectly fine.. for me... maybe your keys don't work the way mine do?

6 hours ago, Some Call Me Tim.2319 said:

Not sure I understand the flippant response.  Swapping pets is exactly what I’ve done in those situations and it works just fine.  If that’s not something you can manage I’m sorry, but really there’s no reason for that response.  

Jokes aside,swapping pets doesnt help you in a zerg situation.
When u have a 30+ vs 30+ fight you dont want a pet because you dont need a pet:
- dies instantly
- cannot kill a single thing (cos zerg sustain)

- puts you in combat if gets caught on an AoE

So being able to perma stow pets is a huge thing and honestly im baffled u still cannot doing ti in Gw2 in 2021: WoW did this in 2006.

* My response was spicy but fair: Infusion's following posts explain the spiciness

Edited by ilMasa.2546
  • Like 2

Again, shows clear lack of understanding. If a pet is not stowed, even if it is near you it is a liability. Why? Since the beginning of the game in WvW we have had stealth pushes in some fashion (veil,mass invis, blasting smoke) AND boons/heals whether directly or indirectly (via blasting water fields). If you don't understand that I don't know what to tell you.

A pet, dead or not eats into your squad's boons and profession specific bonuses (auras, soothing mist, superspeed,etc) even if it is not dead while providing negligible or negative benefit to your squad. It reveals position because if you blast stealth it has one of the lowest priorities and adds extra targets for stealth combos which may result in people needing stealth not getting it.

Not to mention it puts you in combat if it even hits a trap or something akin to that. Meaning you can't even waypoint if an enemy force three times your size shows up.

If you played rangers for years before soulbeast came out... yeh... this is why people hate rangers. Mind you, squads in WvW didn't exist until HoT (2015).

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, gebrechen.5643 said:

Why not learn to pet management? It's not that ranger is hard to play or so has many buttons to press. 

I'd prefer "if your pet is dead, you deal 50% less damage overall" as a ranger buff.

The suggested changes would give more options to  pet management, as current options are limited, buggy, and a liability that ruins gameplay for other players other than the ranger (as Infusion stated)

It has nothing to do with the difficulty of the class, and the current best tactic is just to play Soulbeast and ignore the problem entirely. That would give some evidence that its current state is pretty poor.

And this may be an issue because we may get another elite spec that doesn't just merge.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ilMasa.2546 said:

Jokes aside,swapping pets doesnt help you in a zerg situation.
When u have a 30+ vs 30+ fight you dont want a pet because you dont need a pet:
- dies instantly
- cannot kill a single thing (cos zerg sustain)

- puts you in combat if gets caught on an AoE

So being able to perma stow pets is a huge thing and honestly im baffled u still cannot doing ti in Gw2 in 2021: WoW did this in 2006.

* My response was spicy but fair: Infusion's following posts explain the spiciness

Another reason to run Soulbeast with merged pet 😉.  

I do agree though that for the other Rangers this option would be very good!

Also, seriously, if you don’t want the pet in the way and don’t  want to run Soulbeast then why not just play another class???  Dragon hunter has good range and is a better zerg choice, for example

Edited by Some Call Me Tim.2319
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Some Call Me Tim.2319 said:

Also, seriously, if you don’t want the pet in the way and don’t  want to run Soulbeast then why not just play another class???  Dragon hunter has good range and is a better zerg choice, for example

Tim: you do love spicy reply tho

You cannot go for the "just play an other class then" without expecting a roast right?! 

So we are arguing here the fact that you cannot put away your pet permanently and your answer ,so far are:
- just swap pets
- play an other class

And then you have people on the forum generally complaining when u talk kitten about some mechanics/aspects of the game without giving proper suggestions.

BUT the moment someone actually do that and gives details and explain the logic behind it,he gets answers like yours.

I MEAN WTF.

"aN oTHeR rEAsON tO rUN sOuLBeSt wItH mErGEd pET" - mods can we moderate people like this.

Litterally a person is asking to a have a toggle to stop having pets being in the way and your suggestion is play soulbeast.

HOLY SHHHHenanigans i can get better answers from https://www.cleverbot.com/ than from you.  
All your 787 messages are like this one?!Pls stop.

#moderation 

Edited by ilMasa.2546
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Some Call Me Tim.2319 said:

If you’re not a soulbeast then simply swap pets. That will make the dead one disappear and the new one pop up beside you.  Problem solved.  

3 hours ago, gebrechen.5643 said:

But ranger, with soulbeast as an exception, is a class with a pet. You either use it, or you play soulbeast. You have enough options to swap it, stow it, retreat it.

Or if you want to be cool Legolas go Soulbeast or Deadeye.

Putting the pet in passive mode (so they just follow you) and swap them at the right time can be useful especially when the fight is on open-field. On the other hand, not every fight is on open field. The first examples that come to my mind are the fights in the middle of stonemist lord room, or inside keeps, towers, or chokes. I challenge you to stay sticked to your commander in those situations (equal organized groups, not your zerg 50+ vs 10 enemies) and make your pets survive for the entire encounter. I bet you will just get your both pets deleted in the first minute.

Also i am not interested on playing "Legolas", infact if you think longbow is the way to go in zergs/gvg's you probably don't understand anything about the class. Try to understand what the real role of ranger is instead of thinking about pewpewing (which probably will get a bit better after the retal removal) and maybe then you will be able to give a constructive answer. 😉

Edited by kappa.2036
  • Thanks 1

The fact about this whole discussion is that you want to play a ranger without having to deal with the "negative aspects" of the pet. You really don't expect a great and enlightening discussion, do you? I mean the whole ranger class is designed around having and making use of the pet. Soulbeast is the "mostly" pet-free version of the class.

If that doesn't fit into the zerg style, maybe zerg style is the wrong place for a pet class - similar to minion mancer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gebrechen.5643 said:

The fact about this whole discussion is that you want to play a ranger without having to deal with the "negative aspects" of the pet. You really don't expect a great and enlightening discussion, do you? I mean the whole ranger class is designed around having and making use of the pet. Soulbeast is the "mostly" pet-free version of the class.

If that doesn't fit into the zerg style, maybe zerg style is the wrong place for a pet class - similar to minion mancer.

Ranger had a skill called "Guard!" (right now the skill have a completely different effect) which allowed you to position your pet wherever you wanted (out of a teamfight, for example) but sadly that skill got reworked. Basically, with the years every micro-management and possible updates for pets got ignored in favor of a more simplistic playstyle. By this i mean that at the very beginning ranger wasn't just "the pet class" unable to manage the movements of their pet. Sadly after years this is their position, and if ranger didn't have the Soulbeast spec, it would still be a problem.

And btw having most of the damage tied to a pet and longer cooldowns on pet's death are already the "negative aspects". Having a perma-stowed pet would mean 1) overall ranger less damage and 2) less skills/traits interactions. So my solution don't remove negative aspects at all. It just solve the problems that i've mentioned in the first post.

Edited by kappa.2036
  • Like 1

A compromise would be:

If you stow away your pet, you can only get it back while out of combat and you get no boons/traits associated with it, while it is stowed away. No passive boons, no trait that say "when you have a pet you gain x" etc.

Anything else would be, as someone said, "not having to deal with the negative aspects" and cherrypicking.