Any word on game performance improvements?

Hey, 

did they say something about engine/performance improvements? 

The game should really run better with nowadays hardware. My spec is 3700x/RTX 3070 and the game is running like its either from the future or my pc is broken 😄

Im hoping for native DX12/Vulcan support, if that helps. And most friends/guild mates said "its not doable bc engine etc etc", i dont believe that excuse works.

Other similar aged games also improved their engines over time and they run fantastic in similar situations - FFXIV and Warframe to name some.

I really understand that they'd want to get more content into the game but honestly new players are gonna be turned off by the performance before they get there. 

Especially since if you want to make money in the game to progress you need to do metas/infusion trains and i'd like to have more then 60 fps (100+ if possible) in any situation.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Blocki.4931 said:

The game runs fine. Adjust your settings or use the easily found workarounds.

A much bigger issue were the insane skill lag problems on some maps + wvw, which since have been completely removed it seems.

No it doesn't. I don't know what in your books means fine but constant fps drops and unstable are not fine. 

Let's compare it to FFXIV where I can run in the hub which has a lot more people around and this is a single server mind you, not mega. I don't get any sudden frame drops, smooth ride all over. 

While as in GW2 when I run around the hubs fps drops, goes up, drops again constantly causing annoying tiny freezes. 

With modern rigs we should be nearing +100 frames without drops. Instead we have 20-60 jumping around without DXVK 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blocki.4931 said:

A much bigger issue were the insane skill lag problems on some maps + wvw, which since have been completely removed it seems.

I have adjusted my settings with some guides here and there but even with those improvements it still isnt where i'd feel comfortable. The game is almost 10 years old, and runs worse then modern AAA titles. 

Here is a picture that describes everything:

https://i.redd.it/8613vstms4i51.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jin.8501 said:

No it doesn't. I don't know what in your books means fine but constant fps drops and unstable are not fine. 

Let's compare it to FFXIV where I can run in the hub which has a lot more people around and this is a single server mind you, not mega. I don't get any sudden frame drops, smooth ride all over. 

While as in GW2 when I run around the hubs fps drops, goes up, drops again constantly causing annoying tiny freezes. 

With modern rigs we should be nearing +100 frames without drops. Instead we have 20-60 jumping around without DXVK 

Sounds like a you problem.

I'm not dipping below 30, ever. If you do or if 30 is "unacceptable" to you, maybe that's a different topic.

• Confused 6

50 minutes ago, Blocki.4931 said:

I'm not dipping below 30, ever. If you do or if 30 is "unacceptable" to you, maybe that's a different topic.

Just saying high end system from 2018 shouldn't dip to 30 in 2012 game lol when it can run BDO high/ultra with better frames. 

And Internet is full of topics how GW2 is famous for kitten performance. So the only problem here is that you accept poor performance as norm when actually Anet should fix their game. 

• Like 3

On 5/10/2021 at 6:19 PM, Blocki.4931 said:

Why are you defending the game lol, it should not run this bad on a high end system.

These are my specs:
Ryzen 3700X (oc'd with Ryzen Master)

RTX 3070 (slightly oc'd)

32 GB 3200 MHZ RAM

Samsung SSD.. not sure which one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 5/10/2021 at 6:19 PM, Blocki.4931 said:

This game run like kitten on newer computers i don't know why u defend the game run like kitten

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Reliance.5471 said:

Why are you defending the game lol, it should not run this bad on a high end system.

These are my specs:

RTX 3070 (slightly oc'd)

32 GB 3200 MHZ RAM

Those specs are extremely identical to my own setup, and I completely agree with you. This game's current performance is totally unacceptable and they really should REALLY work to vastly improve the performance in the game so that current rigs have NO problem whatsoever running this game. I doubt that will ever happen, though, since it's been neglected for this long 😕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Short answer: No

Longer answer is that I do not hope they will.
GW2 (and GW1) has always been a game that runs very well on low end systems.  It is how I got into gaming and into the genre. It was very easy accesible as it didn't need special hardware for me to run. Many people in my surroundings and in that of guildies started playing like this.

The way they do this is by relaying more on the CPU and less on the GPU. This means that the high end systems benefit less from the expensive GPU, but you ar enot the audiance.

The main thing isn't the performance, but it is the artwork itself. With GW1, the newer campaigns also had improved artwork. To be honest, HoT and PoF do the same thing and also the living world maps are with improved artwork. The core game however is almost 9 years old (which is older then GW1 was when GW2 launched).

I hope with EoD or with the project after that they will counter this and make GW2 ready for the future by adding new levelling maps (so for level 0-15, level 15-25, etc). I think releasing such content will make the game refreshing and also allows for an upgrade of the graphics.

The way I envision this is that the core game maps remain, but owners of the latest release can choose to level in the new maps instead. This could be the base for a lot more improvements on the new character experience (e.g. early access to elite specs and stats

Last of all a remark about the tone of the OP. It sounds very entitled. As if you are entitled to have better performances cause you spend on a high end system. That is very wierd in my opinion. I would work on the tone. If I was a developper I would say absolutly not when someones adressed me in such a way.

Check this thread: 

The performance difference when using d912py or dxvk is gigantic. On AMD GPUs dxvk is better than d912py you can try to both to see what happens on nvidia GPUs. 

You can check my posts about the performance difference:

Vanilla:

D912PY:

and DXVK:

The game runs terribly. Yes you can reduce settings to make it run a bit better, but for such an old, and by today's standards rather ugly game, we shouldn't have to lower settings to play the game at acceptable frame rates. If I make the game look like it's from 2006 then yes it does run better, but why should I make it look like it's from 2006 instead of 2012?

To whomever says the game runs fine, shut up. That is a terrible conclusion you have drawn up. I shouldn't have to put model limit and quality to lowest in order to get above 30 fps in lions arch or any content for that matter when I'm running a 10600k and 6700xt. That is ridiculous. And to say "you just have to turn off half of the settings" to make it work is stupid when talking about a modern machine. I was used to the crappy frames for awhile but now I just have to turn off the ability to see the other players which completely ruins the immersion, and my favorite thing in mmo's is decking out my character and seeing how other people customize theirs but thats impossible to do at a decent frame rate. 

My only problem with the dx12 proxy is that the last time i used it it broke with an update and something got wacky and I had to reinstall gw2 all over again and tbh I'd rather it just play crappy then to have to redownload it every time the dx12 proxy breaks on me. But I honestly can't handle playing the game for too long anymore cuz it performs like an n64 so I only do short bursts now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ScottBroChill.3254 said:

To whomever says the game runs fine, shut up. That is a terrible conclusion you have drawn up. I shouldn't have to put model limit and quality to lowest in order to get above 30 fps in lions arch or any content for that matter when I'm running a 10600k and 6700xt. That is ridiculous. And to say "you just have to turn off half of the settings" to make it work is stupid when talking about a modern machine. I was used to the crappy frames for awhile but now I just have to turn off the ability to see the other players which completely ruins the immersion, and my favorite thing in mmo's is decking out my character and seeing how other people customize theirs but thats impossible to do at a decent frame rate. 

My only problem with the dx12 proxy is that the last time i used it it broke with an update and something got wacky and I had to reinstall gw2 all over again and tbh I'd rather it just play crappy then to have to redownload it every time the dx12 proxy breaks on me. But I honestly can't handle playing the game for too long anymore cuz it performs like an n64 so I only do short bursts now. 

Try dxvk. It doesn't break when the game is updated and on AMD cards (At least on my old R9 390) gives much better frame rates than d912py.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, maddoctor.2738 said:

Try dxvk. It doesn't break when the game is updated and on AMD cards (At least on my old R9 390) gives much better frame rates than d912py.

So I got DXVK. Drizzlewood cost has higher fps, but with a lot of hiccups and hangups. LA crashes every time I try to turn the camera and has terrible fps. Don't really know what I'm doing wrong here or if it doesn't play well with intel. Used the HUD to make sure it was on, and it is so idk. 

Edit: letting it sit for a second and load has made it more stable and smooth so far, don't know if it's giving me much of an upgrade though. 

Edit2: Nah DXVK is broken for me. very laggy when using, less fps drops without it. 

Edited by ScottBroChill.3254

1 hour ago, Reliance.5471 said:

These are my specs:

RTX 3070 (slightly oc'd)

32 GB 3200 MHZ RAM

I'm using a pretty similar system, with the only difference being that I have a 3080 instead of a 3070. It runs fine, I'm not getting massive frame dips or anything noteworthy and I play in 4k. Turn the Character Model Limit and Quality down to Medium, and I'm running fine even in extremely large events like Tequatl or Auric Basin where other people are talking about the game being a slideshow.    

It runs better with the dx912pxy wrapper, but that broke for me about a month ago and I can't run the game with it installed without it crashing anymore for whatever reason.

On 5/11/2021 at 9:48 PM, tclark.8956 said:

It runs better with the dx912pxy wrapper, but that broke for me about a month ago and I can't run the game with it installed without it crashing anymore for whatever reason.

I use dx912pxy for month now. Get the addon updater for GW2 and use it to...
..update the addons after each patch (one click)
..or in the rare case the addon updates are a day late disable the addons for a day or two (two clicks)

I never had to reinstall gw2 even if it crashes. just launch the addon updater and disable the addons.

Or wait a day.

On 5/10/2021 at 2:41 PM, Blocki.4931 said:

what? We shouldnt have to "adjust our settings" on game thats 7 jears older then our hardware.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Kontrolle.3514 said:

what? We shouldnt have to "adjust our settings" on game thats 7 jears older then our hardware.

Yeah, thats like saying the fallout games and elder scrolls games are fine on steam because you can make them almost 100% stable with heavy modding. I shouldn't have to go out of my way to make a game that old be stable, thats on the company.

• Like 2

This game will never have consistent good framerate at max settings. It's always had issues since beta event weekend 1. It's not gonna change. The problem is GW2 engine is a heavily modified GW1 engine. And GW1 Engine started in 2000. So even by the time GW2 came out, it was 12 years out of date. So the engine can only perform so well with it's limitations. Here's my advice.

1. Set both Model Quality and Model Limit to Low
  2. Set Shadows to low
  3. Set reflections to Terrain and Sky
  4. Turn off Depth Blur
  5. Turn on Limit Effects LOD

This will definitely help with better framerate and stable framerate. It won't look quite as pretty but there's really nothing you can do unless you want more framerate spikes.