Are we getting Kurzick and Luxon human skins?

The Luxons and the Kurzicks were just vassal states of the Canthan empire, they aren't a "type" or a race.  Underneath the face paints and/or tattoos they looked just like any other Canthan.  As for classes, Anet's (probably) not going to added anymore to the game, only elite specializations.

• Like 4

As Greyhawk said the Luxons and Kurzicks didn't look any different to other Canthans (who are based on people from North Asia). They dressed differently and the Luxons often had tattoos but that's all. It's possible they'll give us some new faces and hair styles like they did with PoF but it wouldn't require a new type of human. 

Factions (GW1 Canthan expansion) added 2 professions: the assassin and the ritualist, but the key features of both are already in GW2. Thieves are basically assassins with more options and the professions unique mechanic of chain attacks is now available to everyone. Ritualists summoned spirits to fight for them, either attacking directly or buffing allies. Thematically they're most similar to the revenant but in terms of mechanics I think a turret engineer or mesmer is close, or even a spirit ranger since their spirits only affect allies in GW2. 

At most I'd expect elite specs (probably for the thief and revenant) based on them, although they didn't do that with the paragon and dervish from Elona. 

If we get a new race Tengu seems the most likely, but I think Anet might have already said they're not doing one? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

As Greyhawk said the Luxons and Kurzicks didn't look any different to other Canthans (who are based on people from North Asia).

Sorry to nitpick, but north Asia is Russia (Siberia to be more specific), Canthans are going to be more East Asian or Southeast Asian.

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If we get a new race Tengu seems the most likely, but I think Anet might have already said they're not doing one? 

Hah!  More like "least unlikely".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Sorry to nitpick, but north Asia is Russia (Siberia to be more specific), Canthans are going to be more East Asian or Southeast Asian.

Hah!  More like "least unlikely".

Thanks for the clarification. I normally only see people say Asian or South Asian and I couldn't think what the precise term would be, other than 'not South' so I went with North. 

Edited by Danikat.8537

5 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Thanks for the clarification. I normally only see people say Asian or South Asian and I couldn't think what the precise term would be, other than 'not South' so I went with North. 

I personally think of India when I think of South Asia, so that's why I use the terms I did.

OP might be interested in this post about the upcoming livestream:

12 hours ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

It's been really difficult not to jump into this thread this week, and it made me impatient for today! I want to point you to the last section of today's post, mentioning the July 27 livestream: "new trailer, feature reveals and information, news about elite specialization beta events, and details about the story, characters, art, event design, and more."

It's only 25 days away and it will be worth the wait, I promise. We'll also have some things between now and then to help tide you over, so hang in there with us a bit longer!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Sorry to nitnitpick, but North Asia includes Kazakhstan, Mongolia - and even Siberia as you mentioned are natively inhabited by peoples related to Asia, not to Europe. The fact Siberia and the NE Asia region belong to Russia is as deceiving as saying Greenlanders would look like Danes because Greenland is a possession of Denmark.

• Like 1

New faces and hairs, maybe.  That would be really nice, especially if they were for ALL the races, and preferably unique among races.

As for professions from Cantha from GW1, most have been folded into the current professions.  Assassin is basically equivalent to the Thief profession.  As much as I'd love to play a Ritualist in GW2, I think the general agreement when it's come up in the more distant past was that the functionality was divided up among Revenant, Necromancer, and Guardian (did I miss any?) and it wasn't very likely to happen.

3 hours ago, Perisemiotics.4579 said:

Sorry to nitnitpick, but North Asia includes Kazakhstan, Mongolia - and even Siberia as you mentioned are natively inhabited by peoples related to Asia, not to Europe. The fact Siberia and the NE Asia region belong to Russia is as deceiving as saying Greenlanders would look like Danes because Greenland is a possession of Denmark.

But my point was that Cantha and Canthans are based off of East and/or Southeast Asians.

13 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

But my point was that Cantha and Canthans are based off of East and/or Southeast Asians.

The Kurzick look pretty European to me and even had European names:

Brauer is German and means brewer. Petra and Ruprecht are also German names.

Durheim is the name of a Swiss lithographer, Karl Durheim. Sandra is a German version of Alexandra (the female version of the Greek name Alexander). Kommandant is German for commander.

And that are just examples from two of the big houses of the Kurzick.

There architecture also looks distinctly European to me.

So, not all Canthans are based on Asians.

But they can always change that, just like most Krytans are now white, despite the majority of them being brown in GW1.

Edited by Fueki.4753

16 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Durheim is the name of a Swiss lithographer, Karl Durheim. Sandra is a German version of Alexandra (the female version of the Greek name Alexander). Kommandant is German for commander.

But they can always change that, just like most Krytans are now white, despite the majority of them being brown in GW1.

That's interesting, because while their culture is admittedly Germanic, the character models look Asian to me, implying that they are of the same ethnicity and ancestry as the mainland Canthans.

Demographics in Kryta has an in-universe explanation:  the Kingdom has become a melting pot with people from Elona, Cantha, and Ascalon making up a sizable portion of the population.  Cantha however has been in isolation for generations, so they don't currently have an explanation for whatever changes you may think has occurred in the Canthan population.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107

17 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

That's interesting, because while their culture is admittedly Germanic, the character models look Asian to me, implying that they are of the same ethnicity and ancestry as the mainland Canthans.

Demographics in Kryta has an in-universe explanation:  the Kingdom has become a melting pot with people from Elona, Cantha, and Ascalon making up a sizable portion of the population.  Cantha however has been in isolation for generations, so they don't currently have an explanation for whatever changes you may think has occurred in the Canthan population.

Even if they intermingle, in my experience darker skin is far more common in children of "mixed ethnicity" (for a lack of a better term).

And I know a lot of those people in real life.

So it doesn't make much sense that the handful of Ascalonian refugees that came with us or the Canthans would cause most of the Krytan population to become pale within mere 250 years.

I think that was more of an "artistic" decision to make them look like pale Europeans, not something based on Kryta having become a melting pot of ethnicities. Similar decision-making could happen to the Kurzick.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 9:06 AM, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

The Luxons and the Kurzicks were just vassal states of the Canthan empire, they aren't a "type" or a race.  Underneath the face paints and/or tattoos they looked just like any other Canthan.  As for classes, Anet's (probably) not going to added anymore to the game, only elite specializations.

Just wanted to point this out:

„The Luxon and Kurzick tribes did not emerge from the Canthan people and arrived separately at a later time, in unclear circumstances“

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cantha

so while they may or may not be partly canthan nowadays after being forcefully integrated into canthan society, it wasn‘t always the case. Their origin is still unknown.

Edited by Raknar.4735
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

They came across as a blended fantasy culture to me. They had those Germanic influences to them, but their faces/makeup/hair seemed more styled after Japanese kabuki and noh theater.

I always thought it was like someone at Anet was inspired by the dramatic makeup on pale skin with black hair, mentally linked it to a gothic style, and then to a Gothic style.

12 hours ago, Raknar.4735 said:

Just wanted to point this out:

„The Luxon and Kurzick tribes did not emerge from the Canthan people and arrived separately at a later time, in unclear circumstances“

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cantha

so while they may or may not be partly canthan nowadays after being forcefully integrated into canthan society, it wasn‘t always the case. Their origin is still unknown.

Oh thats interesting, indeed. Perhaps they are not humans from the gods after all.