Please add fishing. It doesn't have to be amazing.

Honestly, 95% of what I do in Guild Wars 2 is wander around collecting stuff I'll never use and participating in whatever events happen to be going around me, because just hanging out in the world is what I've loved about the game these last eight and half years. Yes, yes I really would enjoy logging and just standing in Caledon Forest fishing my time away. As is, there are already times I stand there staring into the distance for no reason at all... it's just a nice place to be...

Really, it would be more than enough for the fishing system mechanics to be exactly like those found in Stardew Valley; simple, elegant, entertaining. That's definitely something I could program, debug, and release in a week as a mod for SWGEmu, so I really don't think it's "too much work" for a studio of professionals to achieve using their professional tools and their intimate knowledge of their systems. Not already having a fishing system in Guild Wars 2 has definitely been a "will vs. skill" issue! 😄

Anyway, it's the little things, right? Like all those thousands of magic moments that are found throughout this amazing game that didn't need to be there, but are there anyway, because someone cared. Maybe all those people are gone now, I don't know. But even someone like me, who never played the original game, was able to, from the first time I made a character, see that the people who made this game really cared about the emotional impact their creations would have on the players. Guild Wars 2 is a nearly fathomless cascade of human accomplishments, wrapped up in a truly beautiful world of sight, sound, and heart. Thank you for making it. Please let us go fishing. 😉

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Options:

1. [Reuse/Recycle] Why not go to sandswept isles and do fishing? Atleast the locals won't go hungry. 😂🤣. for ppl who wish to use the game's existing features rather than make it pointless to spend dev resources on something trivial.
  2. [Relax] And those who like to consider fishing as a way of relaxing and not associated with loot or anything, pliz go stand in a corner or a cliff in caledon forest and IMAGINE you're holding fishing rod , fishing and just stare at the screen and drool at the landscape 🤭. for more added effect unlock the fishing rod skin and use it on weapon and draw the weapon occasionally if it goes to stow mode after idle time 😆.
  3. [Reward] And those who want to be rewarded for standing still and gawk at the screen, pls go do dragonstom and afk there .. u get some gold at the end 😁🤣😂.

I like these fishermen... we need these fishermen to be part of playerbase 😋

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

But fishing is cringe in general, it is cruel and the oceans struggle with the problem of overfishing nowadays.

It may seem like an abstract comment I know - but if you think about it - why promote that even more? Of course it may not be fish harvesters, just a rod - but principle is the same. I know I have a storm coming but at least I laid it off my chest after seeing countless topics like this 🥵

• Haha 4
  • Confused 14

1 hour ago, Mik.3401 said:

But fishing is cringe in general, it is cruel and the oceans struggle with the problem of overfishing nowadays.

It may seem like an abstract comment I know - but if you think about it - why promote that even more? Of course it may not be fish harvesters, just a rod - but principle is the same. I know I have a storm coming but at least I laid it off my chest after seeing countless topics like this 🥵

Not trying to be rude or combative, but your comment is the definition of virtue signaling. Video games have plenty of activities and concepts that are unacceptable in the real world (killing for example), so saying that GW2 shouldn't have fishing because it causes a lot of harm in the real world (only when done en mass) is not a valid argument.

Personally I couldn't care less either way if they added fishing or not.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I'd like fishing as an activity that could be done in almost any watery part of the game (exclusions of course being instances or other areas where the activity might interfere annoyingly with map mechanics/events, etc.) Fishing has always struck me as a good way to revitalize old maps and simply appreciate how beautiful various areas of the game are in between whatever other content we might be doing.

The opinion I have on adding fishing to GW2 as well as how they could comfortably monetize it is summed up pretty well on page one of this thread. I'd recommend you give that whole thing a read if you're interested in fishing, since my ideas weren't the only ones.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, jwaz.1908 said:

Not trying to be rude or combative, but your comment is the definition of virtue signaling. Video games have plenty of activities and concepts that are unacceptable in the real world (killing for example), so saying that GW2 shouldn't have fishing because it causes a lot of harm in the real world (only when done en mass) is not a valid argument.

Personally I couldn't care less either way if they added fishing or not.

I am glad you can differentiate between virtual and real life virtues, however kids/most people I guess who play this game do derive in some way their consumption patterns and virtues from online content (including games) and this is a fact.

And regarding fishing - at the present nearly all fish available in the market stem from extremely harmful sourcing activities - normalising eating fish is not something what is right morally in any way.

I appreciate your disapproval and pointing out my argument is invalid, I do know the game promotes other harmful acts/consumption patterns - but adding one more will not make it better no?

Why not having racism introduced to the game or make female characters unable to play most classes? It is just a game right?

• Haha 3
  • Confused 9

3 minutes ago, Mik.3401 said:

I am glad you can differentiate between virtual and real life virtues, however kids/most people I guess who play this game do derive in some way their consumption patterns and virtues from online content (including games) and this is a fact.

And regarding fishing - at the present nearly all fish available in the market stem from extremely harmful sourcing activities - normalising eating fish is not something what is right morally in any way.

I appreciate your disapproval and pointing out my argument is invalid, I do know the game promotes other harmful acts/consumption patterns - but adding one more will not make it better no?

Why not having racism introduced to the game or make female characters unable to play most classes? It is just a game right?

Well. We do have racism in the game, so thats already present and its very visible in the lore too. 🙂

Regardless, while i dont personally want fishing in the game(i think it is pointless and doesnt add anything), im sure sone would enjoy it. *shrug*

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mik.3401 said:

You've changed my mind.
Anet please add fishing as soon as possible, thanks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

You've changed my mind.
Anet please add fishing as soon as possible, thanks.

Ok, I said what I believe is right, if the community does not agree and act like my post is full of crap then it gives me an indication you guys just don’t understand how important it is. You don’t need to understand - keep fishing ☺️

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

Well. We do have racism in the game, so thats already present and its very visible in the lore too. 🙂

Regardless, while i dont personally want fishing in the game(i think it is pointless and doesnt add anything), im sure sone would enjoy it. *shrug*

Let’s have more then! It is fun for some people no? It is just a game at the end of course no one will change the way their act in real life. 
the above is exactly the same logic you guys propose

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Mik.3401 said:

Ok, I said what I believe is right, if the community does not agree and act like my post is full of crap then it gives me an indication you guys just don’t understand how important it is. You don’t need to understand - keep fishing ☺️

I will. I've always fished from my local lake and won't be stopping. I eat the fish myself and nothing goes to waste since I make fish paste from the leftovers. I also pay for a fishing permit which supports keeping the lakes and fish populations healthy. All fishing activity is not nefarious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

I will. I've always fished from my local lake and won't be stopping. I eat the fish myself and nothing goes to waste since I make fish paste from the leftovers. I also pay for a fishing permit which supports keeping the lakes and fish populations healthy. All fishing activity is not nefarious.

I’m glad everyone have their local lake and permit to fish from - phew

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Mik.3401 said:

Let’s have more then! It is fun for some people no? It is just a game at the end of course no one will change the way their act in real life. 

Hilarious how you went from "IMAGINE IF THERE WAS RACISM IN THE GAME!" to "WELL SO WHY NOT INTRODUCE MORE?!" after your initial take was proven false 🙃 

Claim that adding fishing rods to the game would influence fauna irl is just nonsense. If I had to use wording you apparently prefer, I'd say your posts in this thread are

2 hours ago, Mik.3401 said:

cringe in general

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Mik.3401 said:

If the racism served a plot point and was done well, sure, otherwise i dont think it should be included.

See:

Canthans x Tengu(plot point going back to gw1 factions. Was big enough that Tengu got kicked out of Cantha.)

Canthans x Naga(see above, though i think they got killed off.)

Charr x humans(going back to even before gw1 started in the lore, still present to a minor degree in game.)

Asura x Sylvari(early sylvari ecspecially got treated horribly, not present as much outside a few story instances.)

Im almost certain that ive forgotten some though.

6 minutes ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

Thank you. Theres a huge difference between local fishing and massive ocean harvesting fishing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mik.3401 said:

I’m glad everyone have their local lake and permit to fish from - phew

I agree that industrial scale ocean fishing can be harmful. Often people do have the option to buy local and enviroment friendly products, but it takes more effort than just going to the nearest supermarket and they usually cost more. I cannot single-handedly fix the problems the world faces and I've done more than my share caring about the environment.

22 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

Thank you. Theres a huge difference between local fishing and massive ocean harvesting fishing.

Indeed. I think that hobby style relaxing fishing is what OP meant with the suggestion. Kinda like how Wow did it, which I found out to be oddly relaxing (altho I still like fishing irl more 😊).

If fishing is such an important feature and a good way t o retain and improve player influx, anet wouldve already done it...

The game's been going for how long? 7 years? Maybe anet considered fishing is not relevant for the way GW2 is going  towards right now and its in the best inerests of anet and majority of playerbase, that feature is not implemented...

Maybe if they consider it's relevant to the canthan theme, they might include it.. but ask yourself.. how many and for how long will ppl do fishing in an action packed mmo that expects you to participate for events success and rewards you handsomely for event completion

And think about the development time, bug fixing on fishing and reward system and economy adjustment if ppl QQ about "fishing rewards are so less compared t oRaid rewards, pls increase rewards" in forums... eeeeekhhhhh!

one worst possible outcome: if anet includes infusions or rare rewards and skins and extra gemstore items and features for fishing and ppl actually got attracted to fishing someway or other(reason could be anything)(even if fishing feature became so much profitable for anet thru gemstore and player influx and such), everyone would abandon all maps and jump into afk fishing... game would meet its doom we might as well rename the genre from "MMO" to "AFK gaming"

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Fishing like Stardew valley would be amazing.

Me and my friends can spent days just fishing because its so satisfying and challenging when its a legendary that you feel rewarded.

New world had something "similar" but the rest of mmo. I hope Palia will have it.