Necromancer spec-ulation

Kodama.6453

Many people believe that the flask icon belongs to the necromancer spec with some kind of plaguedoctor theme.

I am not sure about that, I think that the bullet icon might be for necromancer. And that maybe this elite spec is used to bring back a skill thematic which got removed.

In the past, deadeye had a skill called "cursed bullet". It got removed in favour of "death's judgement", the new stealth attack for their rifle.

Looking at the bullet icon, there are these shapes around it and the swirl. I think these could indicate that the bullet is infused with dark magic, even curses specifically.

Cursed bullets make so much sense for necromancer, considering that they are the one true class which originally deals with curses. So maybe it is less of a plaguedoctor and more along the lines of a "hexslinger".

This would not be the first time that anet removed skills from the game just to bring them back later in a different form... it happened with guardian's tomes, which were removed as elite skills for the class and then reintroduced with the firebrand elite spec.

25 minutes ago, Nimon.7840 said:

I was also thinking at first that the bullet icon was the necro spec, but it could be the bomb/flask as well.

Could be, but I personally interpret the last icon to be the engineer. It references the core class symbol, which is also a bomb/flask.

And I think the cursed bullet mechanic just makes so much sense for necromancer.

I think there are many icones that fit the necromancer so it might be better to take a wait and see stance.

- The wrathful/demonic face fit the necromancer

- The thing that everybody believe is the revenant symbole could also be the necromancer's

- The bullet is obvious but nothing say that other professions won't get riffle or pistol and it lack "ominousness".

- The flask got the ominousness of the necromancer and there are clues on the shaded picture ANet gave us so it's a possibility as well.

And for all we know, the arrowhead/shield that look like an animal face might be the symbole, ANet releasing the specs in the order of the symboles they gave...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I think there are many icones that fit the necromancer so it might be better to take a wait and see stance.

- The wrathful/demonic face fit the necromancer

- The thing that everybody believe is the revenant symbole could also be the necromancer's

- The bullet is obvious but nothing say that other professions won't get riffle or pistol and it lack "ominousness".

- The flask got the ominousness of the necromancer and there are clues on the shaded picture ANet gave us so it's a possibility as well.

And for all we know, the arrowhead/shield that look like an animal face might be the symbole, ANet releasing the specs in the order of the symboles they gave...

I know, nothing is official and yada yada.

But I can't imagine how someone could think that 6 is possibly not revenant.

It literally has the "third eye" symbol in it. There is no way for Anet to make this more obvious to be revenant.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

I know, nothing is official and yada yada.

But I can't imagine how someone could think that 6 is possibly not revenant.

It literally has the "third eye" symbol in it. There is no way for Anet to make this more obvious to be revenant.

Deadeye symbole is an eye, yet it didn't end up being a revenant's spec while renegade's look like a sword yet isn't a warrior's spec. Scrapper is a hammer yet isn't a warrior spec. Reaper is a hood yet isn't a thief's spec.

We can make educated guesses based on what we see, but we can't say for sure that those guess are spot on. Not even for the 6th symbole.

11 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Deadeye symbole is an eye, yet it didn't end up being a revenant's spec while renegade's look like a sword yet isn't a warrior's spec. Scrapper is a hammer yet isn't a warrior spec. Reaper is a hood yet isn't a thief's spec.

We can make educated guesses based on what we see, but we can't say for sure that those guess are spot on. Not even for the 6th symbole.

You misunderstand. It isn't any eye. It is "the third eye" the official symbol of the revenant.

If it would be just any stylised eye, I would agree. But this one is taking direct revenant imagery. 

I guess we have to wait for the rev spec to get shown here, but I would bet 200g that this icon is rev, there is no way around it.

I'm just pumped to get a pistol for the Necro. I dislike most of the main weapons for Necro, (I really only like Scepter). I generally love all the pistols for other classes and have been hoping to get one for Necro. It will be fun to see how it pairs with the dagger and warhorn, my preferred off-hands.

I wonder what spin they're put on the Spec so it isn't just a basic condi pistol...

If the Bullet is the symbol I'll request it changed because I likely wont be switching off Scepter and the necromancer is not mechanical bound to such a weapon.

As for some of the clues the devs gave. "We're breaking a lot of conventions with the professions" has a lot of implications for necromancer.

Some possibilities:

1. The F keys could be the Elixirs themselves. This is an unusual concept that we haven't seen before. Profession mechanics don't have utility skill types except for engineer so this could offer a lot of unique rune design space for some interesting customization.

2. Shroud itself could be built on a charge system with the shortest duration in shroud we've seen yet which could have some unique synergy with enter and exit traits.

3. We could see life force being used with Utility skills and or endurance bar and Shroud skills being fueld by health instead.

4. We could see base skills for weapons replaced or even shroud replacing each weapon skill while in shroud as a sort of "awakened" skill to increase potency or add synergy from in shroud traits to skills.

All of these would break the normal mold of necromancer and offer something unique. I'm pessimistic though and more hoping the theme and mechanics are at least fun. Scourge already massively broke the necromancer's mold and inspite of its balance challenges for it necro is a better class for that massive break.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Lily.1935 said:

If the Bullet is the symbol I'll request it changed because I likely wont be switching off Scepter and the necromancer is not mechanical bound to such a weapon.

That's a lost cause for you. They also made a hammer represent scrapper as their symbol even if the weapon is not mechanically bound to the class and is purely optional.

Which is even weirder if you think about how they could have made a gyro the icon.... since function gyro is not optional.

If it's the bullet, then they won't change it just because you don't have to take the pistol.

• Like 1

I know this isn't proof of anything and is simply based on speculation, but the bullet icon looks almost too clean/refined to be a Necro e-spec icon. I also see a cat-like iris in the bomb/flask icon and the flame behind it looks kinda spooky so...my gut is saying Necro for it. I am also guessing Necro won't be using pistol quite so literally (plague magic, alchemical concoctions, etc), and the icon looks like a much more literal interpretation of a bullet.

My guess is that the bullet icon is for either War or Guard. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Za Shaloc.3908 said:

I know this isn't proof of anything and is simply based on speculation, but the bullet icon looks almost too clean/refined to be a Necro e-spec icon. I also see a cat-like iris in the bomb/flask icon and the flame behind it looks kinda spooky so...my gut is saying Necro for it. I am also guessing Necro won't be using pistol quite so literally (plague magic, alchemical concoctions, etc), and the icon looks like a much more literal interpretation of a bullet.

My guess is that the bullet icon is for either War or Guard. 

I agree that the bullet icon is too clean and linear for a necro icon.  I had originally thought that it was a warrior icon (can see guardian too), but can now also see the shapes either side as being stylised lightning bolts, so ele would fit as well?

Regardless, the weapon is clearly quite important to that spec as it's central to the icon.  In the case of necro specs, I'd argue that their specs' weapons have been of relatively lower importance compared to the shroud mechanic;  IMO this makes it less likely that the bullet icon relates to necro.

Edited by Jijimuge.4675
typo

I would say I am about 95% confident that the bullet icon is the Necromancers.
Some people say Ele but I am extremely confident that the Ele will be some kind of Longbow Mage based on the fire icon which to me looks like an oncoming flaming arrow.
And after Braham's new fighting style in IBS I can't justify any icon other than bottom middle being the new Guardian spec.. a hand to hand brawler, hell even the huge shoulder pads scream guardian on that icon lol

So Ele has to be the flaming arrow looking icon to me which leaves Necro with either the bullet icon or the demon mask which are the only two i'd be comfortable assigning it to and the mask one I think fits Warrior or even Thief significantly better.
So Bullet for Necro.. i'm very confident in that.

Necro we know is getting Pistol based on it's artwork but much like Path of Fire I am not confident we'll be getting a new shroud again this time.

My speculation for the new life force mechanic now having time to think about it maybe skill enhancement.
Rather than entering shroud, getting a whole new life bar and new weapon skills we will instead use our life force as a means of empowering all our weapon skills, making them stronger, possibly even giving them new effects.
This is what I think the green glowing effect represents in the art work, life force infused abilities.

The potions/grenades.. could perhaps be life force bombs.
I think these will either be new F skills that use a % of your life force to throw them like grenades/elixers.
Or more likely I think they will be our new utility skills, Necros basically getting offensive variants of Engineers elixers.

Edited by Teratus.2859

56 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

And after Braham's new fighting style in IBS I can't justify any icon other than bottom middle being the new Guardian spec.. a hand to hand brawler, hell even the huge shoulder pads scream guardian on that icon lol

Another point to consider about this: many people think that this icon belongs to engineer "because it looks techy and like a mecha suit".

What these people tend to ignore is that Anet stated that Dragonjade Tech will play a role in multiple elite specs. So even if this is supposed to be a Jade Tech suit.... this could still be a warrior or guardian getting one, for example.

The icon clearly reads "tanky, melee, power bruiser". Which is the absolute opposite of what engineer needs.

Both our elite specs were power focused. Both of them were melee. One of them already has been a tanky bruiser (scrapper).

What engineer needs is range and condition damage.... both not showcased in this icon.

These things make me confident that icon 7, the bullet, belongs to necromancer.

Icon 8, the dude with big arms and pauldrons, will be the guardian.

And icon 9, the flask, will be engineer.

2 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Another point to consider about this: many people think that this icon belongs to engineer "because it looks techy and like a mecha suit".

What these people tend to ignore is that Anet stated that Dragonjade Tech will play a role in multiple elite specs. So even if this is supposed to be a Jade Tech suit.... this could still be a warrior or guardian getting one, for example.

The icon clearly reads "tanky, melee, power bruiser". Which is the absolute opposite of what engineer needs.

Both our elite specs were power focused. Both of them were melee. One of them already has been a tanky bruiser (scrapper).

What engineer needs is range and condition damage.... both not showcased in this icon.

These things make me confident that icon 7, the bullet, belongs to necromancer.

Icon 8, the dude with big arms and pauldrons, will be the guardian.

And icon 9, the flask, will be engineer.

Yeah I also believe the last icon to be the Engineer as well although I don't have any current ideas on what it's spec will be.
I will admit though this is largely down to being pretty confident about assigning all the other icons to a profession and the last unassigned icon and profession being put together for that reason.

Finished making H.O.P.E. for my gunslinger necromancer to be.  I had enough materials to finish it outright together  with goldconverting 3k of the 4000 gems from the ultimate edition of EoD purchase.

Its a most absolutely obnoxious set of collections, H.O.P.E. IV in particular.

Astralaria was far more enjoyable to do in comparision.

8 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

Finished making H.O.P.E. for my gunslinger necromancer to be.  I had enough materials to finish it outright together  with goldconverting 3k of the 4000 gems from the ultimate edition of EoD purchase.

Its a most absolutely obnoxious set of collections, H.O.P.E. IV in particular.

Astralaria was far more enjoyable to do in comparision.

Was it the Hylek poison or bugged event in blazeridge edge? It's been so long since I made this weapon...

2 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Was it the Hylek poison or bugged event in blazeridge edge? It's been so long since I made this weapon...

None of them bugged for me at all. But what was arrgh inducing was the M-pec parts, where you had to remember clicking an item prior to defeating a monster. But, the effect did not persist through death, and it had a chance on clickie to burn out the item. Meaning you had to go for a replacement in that case.  The Emperor Mushroom in middle lane of dragons stand being the main offender.

On a positive note however, it looked like you would have to do 3 runs of dragons stand to get each of the lane boss cores from the blightning towers fight. But you only need contribution in all 3 fights and you will get all 3 at once when the event completes as long you kill something in each lane.

Edit:

I had intended to go for a generation 3 legendary. But after seeing that samey Aurene style legendary set, I went meh and chose H.O.P.E. instead.

Edited by LucianDK.8615

Hints of potions and Engi tech could simply be the "jade tech" elite themes. Much like PoF, I expect a jade technology or scientific theme on most professions.

What looks like a potion bottle in the off hand could easily be a weapon skin. Armor and weapon skins with various jade tech and other new area themes will definitely show up, as will legendary weapons.

Edit

While war horn and torch tend to havez some commonality in design, focus designs are more divergent and could be represented by anything that is not one of the other weapon types.

Edited by Anchoku.8142