Do you think GW2 will ever get official addon support?

Do you think GW2 will ever get official addon support?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think GW2 will ever get official addon support?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

While technically possible, I don’t see Anet opening up the game to potential issues by having supported mods. 

If Anet does support a mod, and the mod does something deemed required, does Anet then have to balance around that? Or modify the game to incorporate it?  

Thinking back to Deadly Boss mods and how that shaped WoW development.  DBM was developed to help with Boss calls during an encounter.  At first WoW changed boss fights knowing that players used DBM but that meant that players had to use DBM for new boss encounters….  should players be in a position where they may feel forced to use a mod?  Over the years Blizz took away mod functionality to reduce the reliance on 3rd party mods for their players. 

While there are unsupported mods for this game that I have dabbled with (mount wheel, DPS meter, post processor shaders), and am totally okay with ‘legal’ unsupported mods for any game, I’d rather have all the tools in game. And/Or a developer who can work on QoL updates to improve usability. 

Edited by Mungo Zen.9364
For clarity
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

At first WoW changed boss fights knowing that players used DBM but that meant that players had to use DBM for new boss encounters

This is a really interesting point and a great post, thanks for the thought 😄

Part of me thought about how it could potential affect the social space, but I didn't even think about how it could alter design long-term. It's an interesting case and point.  

Though the mount wheel is a much need QoL. We need to evolve from the square to the wheel! 😛

I don't think it's likely that GW2 will get mods beyond what's already possible. I'm sure Anet have been aware some players will want it since before GW2 was released (it's a safe assumption that someone out there will want to mod any software, not even just games) and they've never indicated any intention of supporting it beyond the very limited things which are possible now.

I will use mods in other games and if more were available I'm sure I'd use them in GW2, but I also have mixed feelings about allowing them. In addition to the problem mentioned above of developers designing the game around the assumption that everyone is using certain mods I think it can also lead to the assumption that they don't need to address certain problems because there's already mods which do it, in some cases literally claiming it's great that they keep the games features limited because it allows room for modders to add to it.

It can be fun to find and try out new mods and see how that changes your game, but if you're using them to fix things you find annoying it can also be annoying to have to seek out mods and make sure they stay updated (especially when the people making them stop playing or stop updating it so you have to find a way to do it yourself or find another mod).

• Like 1

I do not think so. Any function that they might decide its useful they will just implement the feature in game. Any 3rd party addon to be made official would need more overhead and active monitoring to be guaranteed it does not create issues with the game, either technical or in terms of player behavior. 

Edited by Turin.6921
  • Like 2

As far as mentioned addons go I don't think that they will ever get official support.

I could see somewhen down the line AN making a dedicated infrastructure to support people creating addons to the game with limited functionality to what AN would seem ok (like for texture swappers, or UI customisations), but that would be it, and big if on wether or not they will actually do it at any point.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 8:13 PM, SirRocket.3516 said:

-Mount Wheel

-ArcDPS

-TocO

How do you feel about these addons and do you think they will ever be 'officially' recognized? 

There is a huge difference between recognizing and supporting.

Trying to equate one to the other is pretty bad misdirection.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 2:01 AM, Khisanth.2948 said:

There is a huge difference between recognizing and supporting.

Trying to equate one to the other is pretty bad misdirection

I tried to keep the question as broad as possible for discussions sake.

It was less of what I wanted and more to gain the general opinion on the topic.