Legendary Sigils, Runes, or another weapon?

Currently have nothing to make, so I'm looking into Legendary Runes and Sigils. I also want to double check if I have this right. My choice of content is pretty narrow, so I understand and accept that many options won't work for me.

*  I'm somewhat interested because none of these seem to require mystic coins. Mystic Clovers won't be a problem for me and I want to use those up anyways

* It would seem to me that sigils seem better, as a lone rune is pretty useless. But there aren't too many interesting sigils I think.

* I won't do PvP or raids. (mostly WvW)

* I do not care for the l earrings or amulet atm. Already have L rings/backpiece.

Alternatively, I could also go for a legendary weapon. I have no more gifts of exploration and don't feel like getting one, so I would probably buy it directly with gold. I do have an unused Gift of Maguuma though. Also, I guess there are also the post-HoT Gen 2s that require lots of t5s but I don't know much about those.

* I mostly play guardian, necro, and engineer, but play almost anything besides warrior.

* I already have a legendary staff, scepter, and shield.

* Possibly a greatsword, but I don't really care for sunrise/twilight skins. I just seem them around and find them obnoxious.

* I already have legendary armor.

* I have basically HoT done. I don't like PoF and have done very little of it. (have up to a fully leveled rabbit) and would rather avoid it. I can't stand anything from IBS. So basically, I'd like to stick to Core Tyria (and HoT if needed). I have nothing against fractals. All of Living Story is unlocked.

Finally, I'm most curious about...

* If you have either legendary runes or sigils, how is it? Also what was the toughest or most annoying thing about getting them?

* Would you recommend getting them?

* Are there other QoL items you would prefer instead?  (I already have bank, vendor, gathering tools, salvage kits covered)

* Can you quick customize all the runes at once to one type of rune, or do you have to select them each individually?

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

8 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

I wouldn't bother with runes unless you want to share monk runes between scrapper/healbrand/heal tempest/heal spellbreaker in WVW.

Sigil is probably your best bet here because if you ever need to stat swap a weapon you can remove it for free.

Hmm account bound runes can be pretty annoying, especially the ones that require dungeon currency like Monk. But yea I guess that's not that important and I have too many of them anyways.

I'm of the opinion that actually, runes and sigils are probably the best Legendaries to start with, as they can be used by all characters across your account, and are not as expensive or involved as the legendary trinkets.

They offer the best "bang for your buck", so to speak.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Well how much gold and mats do you have? I built 2 sigils the other day at ~250g a piece and selling some random stuff in the bank got me back another 250g. The clovers is big chunk if one already have that its not so much. Its the limited tokens that take a while - if you dont already have them, just stack the cheapest trade-ins and take a month with a quick daily walkabout for that.

2 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

I'm of the opinion that actually, runes and sigils are probably the best Legendaries to start with, as they can be used by all characters across your account, and are not as expensive or involved as the legendary trinkets.

They offer the best "bang for your buck", so to speak.

I kinda regret not crafting them yet honestly.

If you do WvW and just cycle through the Gift of Battle reward track the runes and sigils are basically free. The Mystic Clovers are most of the cost and as long as you have a constant source of them its not an issue.

If you're limited to PvE you'll find the clovers absolutely horrible, and they're better invested in weapons.

3 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

If you do WvW and just cycle through the Gift of Battle reward track the runes and sigils are basically free. The Mystic Clovers are most of the cost and as long as you have a constant source of them its not an issue.

If you're limited to PvE you'll find the clovers absolutely horrible, and they're better invested in weapons.

Unless you have 16 weapons ready xD

• Like 1

Unless you play over 4 hours a day in WVW that's actually not true because the minimum time for a reward track is 4 hours or so with boosters. An hour or so of fractal CMs or T4+recs you can get 2 clovers from PVE vendor and maybe 5 minutes tops for Ley Line anomaly = 3 clovers a day.

I made 6 runes and 4 sigils right before legendary armory.

With the new expansion coming with 9 new elite specs, these will be invaluable for you to play around with all sorts of new builds that will be coming. Especially since you have armor already and some weps/trinkets/backpiece.

Even just now, you don't realize how convenient leg. sigil/runes are until you have them. 🙂

I don't think having to reset every legendary sigil every time you switch a weapon is something I'd call convenient. So as of now, I'd stick to regular sigils and ascended weapons, at least until the armory interactions are updated.

And not sure if runes are worth it either, considering you have a rather limited choice of optimal runes for every role, I'd rather invest in multiple ascended sets or legendary armor at this point, because you will most likely need to switch gear pieces anyway to compensate for stats when picking a particular rune.

7 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Well how much gold and mats do you have? I built 2 sigils the other day at ~250g a piece and selling some random stuff in the bank got me back another 250g. The clovers is big chunk if one already have that its not so much. Its the limited tokens that take a while - if you dont already have them, just stack the cheapest trade-ins and take a month with a quick daily walkabout for that.

Not too much. 600g in actual gold and 1800g worth of material storage (but I doubt all of that can be liquidated, and some is probably required). (Although I did convert 2400 gems for August sales from gold) But that's not really a problem. I can wait, and haven't explicitly farmed for gold in years. And even in WvW, Memories of Battle are so expensive and I don't need them anymore so I can sell those.

6 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

I sorta lied. I grossly underestimated the clovers required.

I don't have enough clovers (64). But I do mostly WvW and usually get 2-3 of those daily potions.

It takes 20 per rune (20x7 =140) and 30 per sigil (30x4=120), for a total of 260 required (!)

How much does the Gift of Battle reward track give?

According to this it only gives 2: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Clover

and other reward tracks also give 2, so don't see the point in the GoB one.

I haven't done some non-repeatable ones like

Bjora Marches Reward track (11)

Grothmar  (9)

Drizzlewood (14) !

I hope these are easy to unlock.

But that would only be 64+34 =98. What about from the chest of loyalty? 7. Yikes. That's terrible. But that takes me pretty close to getting sigils

1 hour ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Unless you play over 4 hours a day in WVW that's actually not true because the minimum time for a reward track is 4 hours or so with boosters. An hour or so of fractal CMs or T4+recs you can get 2 clovers from PVE vendor and maybe 5 minutes tops for Ley Line anomaly = 3 clovers a day.

Leyline anomaly seems easy enough. I definitely can't play the game for 4 hours every day. Usually I reach the Platinum chest, and finish diamond in a good week. (Mithril Rank).

21 minutes ago, Kondor.2904 said:

I don't think having to reset every legendary sigil every time you switch a weapon is something I'd call convenient. So as of now, I'd stick to regular sigils and ascended weapons, at least until the armory interactions are updated.

And not sure if runes are worth it either, considering you have a rather limited choice of optimal runes for every role, I'd rather invest in multiple ascended sets or legendary armor at this point, because you will most likely need to switch gear pieces anyway to compensate for stats when picking a particular rune.

Already have legendary armor. So the Sigil resets to nothing every time you take it out?

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

11 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Already have legendary armor. So the Sigil resets to nothing every time you take it out?

Every time you take out a weapon from the template, sigils go back to the armory and you have to choose them again, yes. So very inconvenient if you constantly switch weapons on a single template. 

Edited by Kondor.2904

4 minutes ago, Kondor.2904 said:

Every time you take out a weapon from the template, sigils go back to the armory and you have to choose them again, yes. So very inconvenient if you constantly switch weapons on a single template. 

Oh I know about that, that's why I keep ascended weapons for that purpose.

But I'm just surprised to learn that sigils have the same behavior if you pop them out.

They way I look at is most sigils I swap are cheap (less than 10g) and its easy to swap into legendary weapons. Also, I already have to redo them each time I swap weapons into a tab anyway. Same with runes, but I think I would get more use from a set of runes over sigils personally. Im working on my 2nd ring right now, then I will only be missing either more weapons or runes & sigils. I have a pretty good coverage for most weapon sets so I plan to make runes first, who knows maybe I will change my mind and do sigils. =p

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

They way I look at is most sigils I swap are cheap (less than 10g) and its easy to swap into legendary weapons. Also, I already have to redo them each time I swap weapons into a tab anyway. Same with runes, but I think I would get more use from a set of runes over sigils personally. Im working on my 2nd ring right now, then I will only be missing either more weapons or runes & sigils. I have a pretty good coverage for most weapon sets so I plan to make runes first, who knows maybe I will change my mind and do sigils. =p

Cost isn't really a problem. It's more that there are account bound sigils/runes and it's annoying if I replace them and have to make them again.

• Like 1

I recommend Runes over Sigils, to be honest. It's convenient to be able to get any stats you want on each of your legendary armor sets across your whole account.

Of course, if you are only going to make one, then a Sigil makes more sense than just one single Rune.

Edited by LadyEden.7519

I am in the process of crafting my 4th legendary sigil. Just made the other 3 within the past week. Loving them so far. My logic is this:

- I already have legendary light/medium/heavy armor so swapping out normal runes is no issue.

- I have multiples of a lot of rune sets because I have a ton of alts, which means for a lot of the more used ones (like Monk), I can just keep them in my inventory for each character.

- I only have a handful of legendary weapons. For all my other ascended ones, the legendary sigils are a godsend because I don't have to worry about using an extractor or deleting them. It is more realistic for me to invest in a set of 4 leggy sigils than it is to invest in a bunch of leggy weapons.

- Ascended trinkets are IMO the worst value considering how easy the ascended versions are to get via LW/IBS/WvW/etc.

I feel like I made the right choice. Pre-armory I thought they were ridiculously overpriced, but now I think they are definitely worth the investment. Really eager to get my 4th.

Make 4 sigil and 6 runes is the best RoI. All your characters benefit.

Then legendary armor, each peice will benefit a 3rd of your characters if you have 1 of each profession.

Weapons are currently the worse. Things like greatsword or staves will benefit many characters, but this you have things like hammers and shields that may be useful to 1 character. I would consider legendary spear because i think every profession might use a spear. Again its uw.

Then i would work 1 more rune and 4 more sigils once i have the weapons i care about done for uw weapons.

16 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Not too much. 600g in actual gold and 1800g worth of material storage (but I doubt all of that can be liquidated, and some is probably required). (Although I did convert 2400 gems for August sales from gold) But that's not really a problem. I can wait, and haven't explicitly farmed for gold in years. And even in WvW, Memories of Battle are so expensive and I don't need them anymore so I can sell those.

I sorta lied. I grossly underestimated the clovers required.

I don't have enough clovers (64). But I do mostly WvW and usually get 2-3 of those daily potions.

It takes 20 per rune (20x7 =140) and 30 per sigil (30x4=120), for a total of 260 required (!)

How much does the Gift of Battle reward track give?

According to this it only gives 2: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Clover

and other reward tracks also give 2, so don't see the point in the GoB one.

I haven't done some non-repeatable ones like

Bjora Marches Reward track (11)

Grothmar  (9)

Drizzlewood (14) !

I hope these are easy to unlock.

But that would only be 64+34 =98. What about from the chest of loyalty? 7. Yikes. That's terrible. But that takes me pretty close to getting sigils

Leyline anomaly seems easy enough. I definitely can't play the game for 4 hours every day. Usually I reach the Platinum chest, and finish diamond in a good week. (Mithril Rank).

The Gift of Battle Reward Track is the only one that gives Mystic Clovers, regular tracks don't except in the end chest, while the GoB track gives both clovers in the track itself and the end chest. You can easily make anywhere from 4-12 clovers a day with boosters, since a fully boosted track takes about four hours to complete, and you can do this while only following  zerg (or even small groups) around and keeping your participation up.

The only superior source of clovers is the unrepeatable tracks, and Drizzlewood Coast, which gets extremely tiring to farm in comparison since it basically has no variation unlike WvW.

Fractals could, in theory, net you similar rates but it means dealing with CMs.

Keep in mind the reason to go for clovers by these methods instead of forging them (or waiting for monthly chest etc.) is because all other methods of obtaining them net you gold for the item itself, instead of taking gold away. For example, right now Memories of Battle in WvW are at their peak price, and although the gold-per-hour rates are still lower than PvE gold farms, you're still gaining rather than losing.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

The Gift of Battle Reward Track is the only one that gives Mystic Clovers, regular tracks don't except in the end chest, while the GoB track gives both clovers in the track itself and the end chest. You can easily make anywhere from 4-12 clovers a day with boosters, since a fully boosted track takes about four hours to complete, and you can do this while only following  zerg (or even small groups) around and keeping your participation up.

The Gift of Battle reward track has no end chest. The end reward is the GoB.

The total amount of mystic clovers from the GoB reward track is 2, just as for most other reward tracks. 

• Like 1