Potentially serious problem with claiming.

Endilbiach.4132

Last night I was playing, we captured a camp on EBG as you do and I went to claim it, AS YOU DO.
It asked me if I wanted to release my guild's claim on another point in EBG, Pangloss Rise to be specific, and since I didn't know what the hell it was talking about I said yes and checked it out, because we're blue this week and Pangloss doesn't matter that much to us.
I repeat I was blue this week.
It was red.

I was able to unclaim a wvw point held by an opposing server that another member of my guild had claimed.  Now these were just camps, no catastophe there, but imagine this had been Bay on one of the Borderlands and I'd had it claimed for 55 minutes, we were about to drop T3 tactics on it, and suddenly a sleeper in my guild (big guild) claims a camp, unclaiming Bay out from under us, resetting the claim timer, and 10 minutes later it's under attack with no hope of T3 tactics.
The only conceivable fix I can imagine is letting a guild claim multiple points on a map BUT keep it to 1 per side.  I'm honestly really surprised this is a problem that is currently unaddressed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, Endilbiach.4132 said:

Last night I was playing, we captured a camp on EBG as you do and I went to claim it, AS YOU DO.
It asked me if I wanted to release my guild's claim on another point in EBG, Pangloss Rise to be specific, and since I didn't know what the hell it was talking about I said yes and checked it out, because we're blue this week and Pangloss doesn't matter that much to us.
I repeat I was blue this week.
It was red.

I was able to unclaim a wvw point held by an opposing server that another member of my guild had claimed.  Now these were just camps, no catastophe there, but imagine this had been Bay on one of the Borderlands and I'd had it claimed for 55 minutes, we were about to drop T3 tactics on it, and suddenly a sleeper in my guild (big guild) claims a camp, unclaiming Bay out from under us, resetting the claim timer, and 10 minutes later it's under attack with no hope of T3 tactics.
The only conceivable fix I can imagine is letting a guild claim multiple points on a map BUT keep it to 1 per side.  I'm honestly really surprised this is a problem that is currently unaddressed.

that is why most of the guilds that do WvW have their members in the same server,  and restric who can claim objects,i mean , you are probably talking about a Pvx guild that have members in mutiples servers. the only way to help  you if the same guild are in mutiple servers is to restric who can put a claim in an estruture for you guild or at least let the members from the guild know who the claims works

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Endilbiach.4132 said:

Seems like an easily exploitable problem.  Counting on guilds to structure themselves in ways that insulate against this?  Woefully insufficient.

It’s completely up to the owner of the guild to restrict, or not, use of the claiming privileges etc. This is NOT a game issue, it’s a user issue. 

Edited by Some Call Me Tim.2319
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Endilbiach.4132 said:

Seems like an easily exploitable problem.  Counting on guilds to structure themselves in ways that insulate against this?  Woefully insufficient.

Certain freedoms come with certain responsibilities. If Anet already has a system in place to fix it, a system in the hands of players, its hardly their fault when playerd choose not to use it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

It is fine as it is, if your guild have players on multiple servers, it is your own responsibility to check before claiming/unclaiming something. 

I actually use a traitorous guild  (i said traitorous because later they log in to my server and flip what they had flip on enemy server) claiming activity on enemy server to successfully defend Stoic Rampart this week, the guild is a guild on my server, they play on borderland and would flip the whole map when they see an opportunity,  when I see that guild had claimed our Red borderland Blistering Undercroft, I knew they are up to no good. I would not had known if they had not used the same guild to claim. I was able to stop them from taking everything from my beautiful desert borderland 😛 

• Like 1

I think others have successfully explained the difference between Guild and Server (team color) and the claim release message makes it obvious what was about to happen.

The good news is this "wrong color" situation won't occur when Alliances becomes active because all your guild members will be on the same team. Of course, you can still get the warning message if your guild has already claimed an objective, and it will still be your decision whether to go ahead and change the claim.

4 hours ago, Endilbiach.4132 said:

It's a guild perk, if the guild doesn't care enough to limit who can claim that is their own fault and something that needs to be handled internally if there is an issue or the person doing it should have their rank changed to something that can't place claims. This is a non-issue with a number of ways to mitigate it.

What you are saying is "my guild can't be bothered to manage it's own members, so could anet please restrict the ability of everyone else playing the mode?"

That's going to be a no for me.

• Thanks 1

I don't think it's just about not caring enough to manage the claiming rights. A couple of guilds I'm in give members the right to claim stuff, but as you suggest, claiming is a responsibility and I'll only change a claim if I know I'm the only one of us on a map.

2 hours ago, Yuffi.2430 said:

I think others have successfully explained the difference between Guild and Server (team color) and the claim release message makes it obvious what was about to happen.

The good news is this "wrong color" situation won't occur when Alliances becomes active because all your guild members will be on the same team. Of course, you can still get the warning message if your guild has already claimed an objective, and it will still be your decision whether to go ahead and change the claim.

Remember you still have up to 5 guilds you can belong to.  Once you’re  in wvw I’m sure you’ll still be able to change to another guild to claim things, even in the new system.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yuffi.2430 said:

The good news is this "wrong color" situation won't occur when Alliances becomes active because all your guild members will be on the same team.

That's not true.  From the way world restructuring was originally described, you designate a single guild as your active WvW guild and are placed together with other members of that guild who also designated it as their WvW guild.  It is entirely possible for members of all your guilds to be on different teams depending upon who they committed with.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1

This will probably be fixed with alliances, but I do see the issue here. It's mostly the crummy way tacitivators work. And not to mention guilds without the buffs claiming stuff!

Once I was able to take the claim off BG's EB keep, and that went for about half an hour before anyone noticed, lol.

• Like 1

You're missing some of what is already happening using tactics.

In a matchup, red is the stacked blob this week.  Red flips green keep on EB.

Then, the red guild uses an alt on green to claim the keep when it is retaken by green.  Then, the next night when the red blob is doing their wvw run again, they turn off public tactics while attacking green keep again, so no one can use them.

That's right, the attacker, can turn off the enemies tactics because the attacking guild is the one that owns the structure they are attacking.

And yes, it happens.

Edited by Ubi.4136

26 minutes ago, Ubi.4136 said:

You're missing some of what is already happening using tactics.

In a matchup, red is the stacked blob this week.  Red flips green keep on EB.

Then, the red guild uses an alt on green to claim the keep when it is retaken by green.  Then, the next night when the red blob is doing their wvw run again, they turn off public tactics while attacking green keep again, so no one can use them.

That's right, the attacker, can turn off the enemies tactics because the attacking guild is the one that owns the structure they are attacking.

And yes, it happens.

lol, this is why with my guild I don't allow anyone at all to be able to claim etc unless they're on my server.  😉

• Like 1

btw this might be a big misunderstanding overall. since there tends to be a bug, where some objective stays the same color of the enemy but u claim it. u can see on depot color normally the real current "owner"

from my knowledge, members of one guild can claim multiple objectives, if they aren#t on the same server. i cannot guarantee that it works, but i was in the situation more than once, and i am pretty sure that i had it working.

it is however no big deal at all in the end. worst case, guildkick... people need to take responsibility for stuff like that. if it works as u think there. if the inital poster just had no rights given to claim... or the guild cannot claim stuff at all (both possibilities). well yeah.

10 hours ago, Justine.6351 said:

Guilds that restrict guild claiming are lame.

My suggestion is to have 2 toggles in the guild rank permissions tab that,

* allows for that rank to claim if no other objective is claimed for that map.

* allows for objective claim to be moved.

Don’t agree.  You have your main wvw guild you can claim with. If you want to claim with mine then be on my server, period.  All the guilds I’m in are on the server I run on.  Simple respect imo to not claim using a guild that you’re up against.  

• Like 1

although i am actually just repeating stuff others said, i aggree that this is not an issue. 

Just look at how big it is an issue that this is possible (Note, it´s not at all) and WHEN it becomes an issue. 

If your Guild has a focus on WvW, your guild also focuses on they players of ONE world. If they recruit for WvW, they recruit from players that are already on their world. So  for WvW-focused guilds, this is not a problem at all. 

If your guild does NOT focus on WvW: how likely is it, that you meet another member on your guild as an enemy? Playing at the exact same time as you, in the same matchup, with 15 Teams (scattered over 5 Tiers), of which you will face 2 per week, it´s very unlikely that you even meet another player of your guild as enemy (again, looking at non-WvW-specialized guilds). And even then: do you even have all the claim-buffs researched by your guild? because many PvE-guilds don´t even research all upgrades, because they simply don´t need it. 

Also, if you don´t have your guild at least-sub-organized for WvW, then why don´t do so? give a seperate Rank for active WvW-players, that then are able to claim, and no one else. This may not fix the "issue", but limit it to the active regular WvW-players. 

anyways, it has always been the best to search for a guild, that has a focus on WvW if you want to play with your guild in WvW. That´s what the megaserver-system brought to us. 

Edited by Custodio.6134

4 hours ago, Some Call Me Tim.2319 said:

Don’t agree.  You have your main wvw guild you can claim with. If you want to claim with mine then be on my server, period.  All the guilds I’m in are on the server I run on.  Simple respect imo to not claim using a guild that you’re up against.  

I am not sure how our comments are related but ok?