No novelty/droppable items zones

Hi ArenaNet's staff do you remember my old thread about those violations of the TOS that are still happening today? Aviator Box and other items placed under chests purposely to annoy/prevent players from looting - Guild Wars 2 Discussion - Guild Wars 2 Forums

I have had the perfect idea to prevent players placing items close to the treasure chests used to harass other players, a Disabling Zone which renders the player unable to place merchants, portals, aviator boxes and similar tools used to harass players and have a laugh at the expense of others. The idea is rendering these things unusable in a large area where treasure chests spawn after a Meta is successfully done. It's still happening today.

I am wondering how hard it is for your staff to solve this problem exactly?

Are you going to allow disruptive behavior to happen in EoD content as well or are you doing something to put an end to it?

Regards

Edited by Touchme.1097
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I honestly don't agree with this at all, i just see this as another thing some one wants to remove out of the game for personal taste this isn't really an issue. In a game where we have been removing things for awhile it needs to stop somewhere.

Edited by Genesis.5169
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

It wouldn't even have to be a large area tbh.. could be as small as a large AoE ring around chests.

I actually think this isn't a bad idea at all.
We already have areas where gliding is disabled and where mounts are disabled.. even chairs quality for that one I think as well.

I don't see any downsides to this at all.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Teratus.2859 said:

It wouldn't even have to be a large area tbh.. could be as small as a large AoE ring around chests.

I actually think this isn't a bad idea at all.
We already have areas where gliding is disabled and where mounts are disabled.. even chairs quality for that one I think as well.

I don't see any downsides to this at all.

That's what I was thinking too. It's only a problem if the other item is right on top of the chest, and then only if it's roughly the same size or bigger so it's difficult to click on the chest. So the 'exclusion zone' only needs to be the size of the chest. But it's probably easier to make it a circle so it might end up being slightly bigger.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

That's what I was thinking too. It's only a problem if the other item is right on top of the chest, and then only if it's roughly the same size or bigger so it's difficult to click on the chest. So the 'exclusion zone' only needs to be the size of the chest. But it's probably easier to make it a circle so it might end up being slightly bigger.

I think an easier solution would to be making the click boxes of chests bigger.

Basically think of it this way.

Clickbox of the novelties is like 120 radius, right?

Clickbox of chests should be changed to 240.

This makes the click the chest strat work 100% of the time even if the novelty 100% covers the model of the chest.

2 hours ago, Genesis.5169 said:

I honestly don't agree with this at all, i just see this as another thing some one wants to remove out of the game for personal taste this isn't really an issue. In a game where we have been removing things for awhile it needs to stop somewhere.

Less personal taste and more kittening annoyance, nothing pisses me off quite as bad as someone who drops something on a chest.

10/10 support a small radius around chests/lootboxes that prevents items and even portals being dropped inside them.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

I think an easier solution would to be making the click boxes of chests bigger.

Basically think of it this way.

Clickbox of the novelties is like 120 radius, right?

Clickbox of chests should be changed to 240.

This makes the click the chest strat work 100% of the time even if the novelty 100% covers the model of the chest.

This would work too.

I can see why people get annoyed, and I've been caught out more than once by a Black Lion Trader / Aviator's box / Bobblehead Lab.

But at the same time, I like a bit of harmless mischief in multiplayer games.

Such as being a mesmer at a jumping puzzle and portalling people somewhere other than the chest. Or my character Magnificent Chest using an Infinite Shiny Chest tonic in starter areas (I usually mail any noobs I sucker this way a gold piece for giving me a chuckle).

I never begrudge people this fun, 'cos I like a bit of it myself, and as long as I'm paying attention, it doesn't catch me out.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

Just now, Mungrul.9358 said:

I can see why people get annoyed, and I've been caught out more than once by a Black Lion Trader / Aviator's box / Bobblehead Lab.

But at the same time, I like a bit of harmless mischief in multiplayer games.

Such as being a mesmer at a jumping puzzle and portalling people somewhere other than the chest. Or my character Magnificent Chest using an Infinite Shiny Chest tonic in starter areas (I usually mail any noobs I sucker this way a gold piece for giving me a chuckle).

I never begrudge people this fun, 'cos I like a bit of it myself, and as long as I'm paying attention, it doesn't catch me out.

Its all fun and games until some troll ports you to your death. I didnt take mesmer portals most of the time anyways cause i enjoy jumping puzzles, but now i dont take them at all.

Its also not harmless when you prevent someone from looting a chest.

"Harmless fun" is doing what you do with the chest tonic as it doesnt take away anything from the other player, and in fact you give them stuff.

Are you going to send gold to every person who cant interact with an actual loot chest?

• Like 4

Ah, come on, none of the things being complained about prevent you from interacting with chests 100%.

As noted, after you've made the first mistake, it's easy enough to make sure you target the chest itself.

Myself, I don't drop Aviator's Boxes or Bobblehead Labs on chests, but I have dropped the occasional Portal Entre on one. Those only last a few seconds anyway, and again, don't prevent people from targetting the chest and looting.

Thinking back on it, I think myself, I only got caught out once by each of those, and ever since, have known to watch out for them.

It's a lesson I learned really quickly, and had a good chuckle at 😄

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Ah, come on, none of the things being complained about prevent you from interacting with chests 100%.

As noted, after you've made the first mistake, it's easy enough to make sure you target the chest itself.

Myself, I don't drop Aviator's Boxes or Bobblehead Labs on chests, but I have dropped the occasional Portal Entre on one. Those only last a few seconds anyway, and again, don't prevent people from targetting the chest and looting.

Thinking back on it, I think myself, I only got caught out once by each of those, and ever since, have known to watch out for them.

It's a lesson I learned really quickly, and had a good chuckle at 😄

Glad you find it funny, i dont.

I shouldnt be delayed or even get killed while getting my stuff by some kitten who wants to laugh at others expense.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I tend to think it's probably falling on deaf ears anyway. Just look at how the Aviator's Box works:

Unless you click on the box again, the effect is permanent as long as you remain on the same map. You can't remove the effect as if it were a novelty or bundle.

To me, that indicates that ANet are fully aware that the box would mostly be used for light trolling.

• Confused 2

I don't find it a big problem, I always take a second to look at what the interact prompt says before I use it. For example if I'm trying to open a chest I'll check it's yellow and says 'Open' and if not I'll click on the chest then press to interact with it. It's almost subconscious at this point.

But I don't think it could hurt to have a small 'exclusion zone' directly on top of chests, bankers and other static interaction points so other objects can't be dropped directly on top. No need to make it bigger than the object itself, there's no harm in something next to a chest because you can still select the right one.

As for mesmer portals I'll only trust them in a situation where I know the person who is putting it down and know they wouldn't mess with players (at least not in that situation), like a guild officer during missions, or someone with the [PINK] tag at a daily jumping puzzle. At any other time I'll only use it if I'm willing to risk that it could take me anywhere on the map...but I'm the kind of weird person who is often ok with taking that chance.

54 minutes ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

I tend to think it's probably falling on deaf ears anyway. Just look at how the Aviator's Box works:

Unless you click on the box again, the effect is permanent as long as you remain on the same map. You can't remove the effect as if it were a novelty or bundle.

To me, that indicates that ANet are fully aware that the box would mostly be used for light trolling.

I don't know, a lot of those things are very inconsistent. (Just look at all the different places a 'remove' skill can appear on a novelty - it could be on the weapon swap button, on the elite, on skill 5, on a special action...) It could just be that the person who made this one imagined it being used in a way where interacting with the box again wouldn't be impractical and there's never been enough of a push for it to be updated for someone to actually get assigned the work.

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Fun is subjective.  I'd wager that there are a lot more players who don't find this practice to be fun than do.

Indeed.

Sure you might think the first couple of times.. Ahh damnit gg whatever.
But when this happens constantly over months if not years (whether you fall for it or not) it becomes asinine and annoying.

It's like that dumb joke where someone pokes you in the chest and asks what's that? so you look down and they flick you in the face.. yeah first couple of times it's like whatever, no biggie.
But when that happens daily over the course of years at some point you get so sick of it you want to punch the next person who pokes you in the chest.

Now if people only did this kind of thing on April fools.. that would be a whole different story and nobody would care.

But this is constant, every day there someone out there dropping these things on everything they can with the sole purpose of pissing people off.
It's not a joke at that point, it's not even trolling.. it more akin to passive aggressive/anti social behaviour.

• Like 2

I still think people try to make a bigger deal out of it than it really is. I don't even know when was the last time I got caught by unwanted novelty/portal.

BUT in case for some reason this goes through, make sure to also change the "background npcs" routes in the cities so they don't stop near actually useful ones (like banker/tp). Seems to be the same principle to me.

• Confused 2

38 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I still think people try to make a bigger deal out of it than it really is. I don't even know when was the last time I got caught by unwanted novelty/portal.

BUT in case for some reason this goes through, make sure to also change the "background npcs" routes in the cities so they don't stop near actually useful ones (like banker/tp). Seems to be the same principle to me.

Or in WvW when the synth nodes are right next to a repairable wall...the wall says "click me first"...Southwest Tower being especially notorious for this.

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

I mean, if we remove portals in JPs, now you can't use portals from friendly mesmers (or people with a portal device) to get to the end.

You took it waaaay farther than whats asked for. A small radius around chests(say 3 or 4 of whatever metric they use to measure distance), wouldnt remove the ability of mesmers to portal, along with preventing people from dropping troll items inside the chests themselves..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dante.1763 said:

You took it waaaay farther than whats asked for. A small radius around chests(say 3 or 4 of whatever metric they use to measure distance), wouldnt remove the ability of mesmers to portal, along with preventing people from dropping troll items inside the chests themselves..

But that also wouldn't stop troll portals at JPs that aren't around chests.