Swimsuits; The Gold Standard [Merged]

Swimsuit Poll!  

386 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Anet should add the Faren and Kasmeer swimwear outfits from Southsun?

• Yes.
    • Si.
    • Ja.
    • Sí.
    • No - Sike, just kidding, of course they should.

57 minutes ago, Ezikeo.5047 said:

Not sure why this hasn't happened, does Anet/NCsoft not like money?

This is the million dollar question. There's no downsides. No gameplay/balancing issues, no one is going to leave the game over it, and it generates more revenue through the Gemstore. Like I'm not even arguing 'blahblah i wanna go to beach on character', this is literally, money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Altonese.6542 said:

This is the million dollar question. There's no downsides. No gameplay/balancing issues, no one is going to leave the game over it, and it generates more revenue through the Gemstore. Like I'm not even arguing 'blahblah i wanna go to beach on character', this is literally, money. 

Dont we already put on a swimsuit when we do those diving goggle things? I don't see any immersion breaking at all.

1 hour ago, Ezikeo.5047 said:

Dont we already put on a swimsuit when we do those diving goggle things? I don't see any immersion breaking at all.

depends on your character. If you play human female? It's -hideously- yellow. I might have been able to actually stomach no swimsuit outfits if the human female underwear was black, white, silver - Anything but this mustard yellow.

Tyhe fact is, Kasmeer is a human female model with a swimsuit. It's do-able.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, anninke.7469 said:

No. That's underwear and I still can't understand how that is acceptable and swimsuits are not.

Yeah this exactly. Sorry let me clarify, my point is adding new swimwear wouldn't hurt the game because theres already some swimwear in the game. So immersion wise its OK and should be a thing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ezikeo.5047 said:

Not sure why this hasn't happened, does Anet/NCsoft not like money?

I think it might even be cultural because Anet are in America and they are "family oriented" so they might have to consider their customers there. I personally think that they are worried about children and behind them their moms that might feel negatively about their kids playing this game when they would see many people in bathing suits. If the company would've been in Europe, this wouldn't be an issue at all really, though they might have to consider their customer base in the US as well. Just my opinion but I've lived on both sides of the pond and I've experienced that there is this weird duality in the US when it comes to topics like this.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I think you'll find that it's because they are in America and they are "family oriented". Which is kinda weird because there are a lot of looks that could be considered to be sexy already, but I personally think that they are worried about all the children and behind them their moms that might feel negatively about their kids playing this game when they would see many people in bathing suits. If the company would've been in Europe, this wouldn't be an issue at all really, though they might have to consider their customer base in the US as well. Just my opinion but I've lived on both sides of the pond and I've experienced that there is this weird duality in the US when it comes to topics like this.

I find this highly unlikely to be the reason for the very fact that you yourself bring up: there already are several armors and outfits that show skin and characters can be stripped down to their skivvies at will.  Think what you want about Americans, but we aren't a monolith when it comes to views on licentious clothing (or anything really), especially on the West Coast where Anet happens to be located.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I find this highly unlikely to be the reason for the very fact that you yourself bring up: there already are several armors and outfits that show skin and characters can be stripped down to their skivvies at will.  Think what you want about Americans, but we aren't a monolith when it comes to views on licentious clothing (or anything really), especially on the West Coast where Anet happens to be located.

Well, I did say that there is a weird duality about it, but I will say instantly that I could be wrong. It's the only thing I could think of because as soon as the words "family oriented" are uttered...well, you can fill in the rest.

Edited by Gehenna.3625

Maybe it has nothing to do at all about Anet being in America (which I find to be a highly questionable premise in the first place): rather, they have already considered swimsuits and the financial numbers don't add up to enough RoI for their investors.  Or, perhaps, there are other things that they plan to implement that will make more profit because at the end of the day, satisfying the investors is the final arbiter of practically every business decision.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Maybe it has nothing to do at all about Anet being in America (which I find to be a highly questionable premise in the first place): rather, they have already considered swimsuits and the financial numbers don't add up to enough RoI for their investors.  Or, perhaps, there are other things that they plan to implement that will make more profit because at the end of the day, satisfying the investors is the final arbiter of practically every business decision.

I can't imagine there's a huge amount of work left to implement them as outfits. Models are already there for the NPCs that should fit everyone except Charr. It's gotta be less work than went into the "Magical Outfit" recently released, and I would think would meet at least as much demand (I expect a lot more demand, actually).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I'd rather Arenanet spend resources on other things©.

It's August 26th and sometimes I wonder if I'm in heck.

6 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I can't imagine there's a huge amount of work left to implement them as outfits. Models are already there for the NPCs that should fit everyone except Charr. It's gotta be less work than went into the "Magical Outfit" recently released, and I would think would meet at least as much demand (I expect a lot more demand, actually).

This always kills me. 'They don't have T I M E to work on outfits! Now! Check out this magical girl outfit, -AND- 17 piece weapon set!'.

Basically, there's absolute no good reason to not release them. Easy to do. Money. Not game changing, nothing. 'I don't like swimsuits because jesus make-a sad' isn't a reason.

(Again, sorry Lord to bring you in to this. I know you're cool.)

Edited by Altonese.6542
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

You may be right, but there is no way that we can know.  Outfits being released now may have been on the planning board for months (or more b/c COVID).  Only Anet knows the amount of work and whether or not it is worth the investment.  To date, it would appear that it is not.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

You may be right, but there is no way that we can know.  Outfits being released now may have been on the planning board for months (or more b/c COVID).  Only Anet knows the amount of work and whether or not it is worth the investment.  To date, it would appear that it is not.

Something can be worth the investment, which swimsuit outfit definitely is, but not be implemented. Anet is at the end of the day, a group of people, and people in general like to trip over coffee tables metaphorically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Just because posters on a forum believe that this would be worth the investment doesn't make it so.  None of us have any metrics or data to support that claim.  Perhaps it is on the development schedule and we don't know?  Or, perhaps it has been discussed and discounted as not worth it?  We don't know that either.  I can only speculate that, currently, it is not else it would have been implemented due to (arguably) popular demand much like capes were.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Just because posters on a forum believe that this would be worth the investment doesn't make it so.  None of us have any metrics or data to support that claim.  Perhaps it is on the development schedule and we don't know?  Or, perhaps it has been discussed and discounted as not worth it?  We don't know that either.  I can only speculate that, currently, it is not else it would have been implemented due to (arguably) popular demand much like capes were.

Never said it wouldn't take a bit of work. Also not trying to say forum posters know better than Anet. There's a ton of stuff in the background that we have no idea about.

That said, Swimsuit Outfit is worth the effort so it is indeed a coffee table to discount it.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Altonese.6542 said:

Never said it wouldn't take a bit of work. Also not trying to say forum posters know better than Anet. There's a ton of stuff in the background that we have no idea about.

That said, Swimsuit Outfit is worth the effort so it is indeed a coffee table to discount it.

Worth the effort in your opinion.  😉   It isn't in mine.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I can only speculate that, currently, it is not else it would have been implemented due to (arguably) popular demand much like capes were.

"If it were profitable we'd have it" would closed down almost every thread on the forum if it were true.

Your example is an interesting one. The earliest thread I can find asking for capes is from December 2017.  

Capes were added in the December 2019 update.  Someone could have said in December of 2017 that ANet metrics said they weren't worth the development time, but they showed up two years later. I'm pretty sure 2018 didn't see a massive influx of cape lovers that changed the picture.

I'll add that I remember people asking for capes long before that, but there's no way of telling with the forum reset that happened.

So, here we are asking for swimsuits. Maybe we'll see them in August 2023. They could be the 11 year birthday gift! If it comes with another Delectable Birthday Dye I can have a tangerine speedo!

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Worth the effort in your opinion.  😉   It isn't in mine.

That's why I made the thread. You should make a thread about what's in your opinion, like; Why I'm A Debbie Downer or No One Enjoy The Game or Do I Have Glaucoma. Whatever you want.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

15 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

"If it were profitable we'd have it" would closed down almost every thread on the forum if it were true.

Your example is an interesting one. The earliest thread I can find asking for capes is from December 2017.  

Capes were added in the December 2019 update.  Someone could have said in December of 2017 that ANet metrics said they weren't worth the development time, but they showed up two years later. I'm pretty sure 2018 didn't see a massive influx of cape lovers that changed the picture.

I'll add that I remember people asking for capes long before that, but there's no way of telling with the forum reset that happened.

So, here we are asking for swimsuits. Maybe we'll see them in August 2023. They could be the 11 year birthday gift! If it comes with another Delectable Birthday Dye I can have a tangerine speedo!

Did you check the archive for the original GW2 forum?  Cause we certainly were asking for capes much earlier than 2017.

13 hours ago, Altonese.6542 said:

That's why I made the thread. You should make a thread about what's in your opinion, like; Why I'm A Debbie Downer or No One Enjoy The Game or Do I Have Glaucoma. Whatever you want.

So only people that agree with you should post here?  Dude, no.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Did you check the archive for the original GW2 forum?  Cause we certainly were asking for capes much earlier than 2017.

So only people that agree with you should post here?  Dude, no.

Yeah, my memory is that they were being asked for back in betas, but I have no proof, as I'm not really sure how to go about checking the archive. I should look into that. It'd be fun to find the earliest cape request as well as earliest swimsuit. Maybe there's a six year turnaround on these things or something.

I could also have brought up mounts. That was definitely something requested from the very earliest days. I remember all the "screen clutter" and "trivializes content" arguments over mounts for years, and then, one day, we got an incredibly well-designed set of mounts. The desire was there, but it took ANet some time to decide it was right to introduce them, and by the constant stream of skins it's clearly been profitable for them. The argument, "if it was profitable it'd be in the game," didn't work for mounts either.

Mounts and capes both undermine  the "Oh noes, my eyes!" and "But the immersions!" and "If it were profitable we'd have it" arguments.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Altonese.6542 said:

You made a thread in a public forum which is designed to harbor discussion and debate.  I am merely engaging in such discourse.  Sounds to me like you want to shut me down from dissenting with your proposal.  That's not how this works.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1