New player observation after reaching lvl 80 on a few characters.

EyzKold.8247

I’m still new and the games is really fun always an event to get into. The puzzles are really good and finding trouble is not a problem. So, I’ll dive into the classes that I have at 80 and some specializations.

1. Elementalist. I’ve played this class the longest and been having a great time with it. I’ve enjoyed using the Weaver with fire and air and healing with water. I hardly use earth but it does come in handy at times. The burst damage on single target is great but targeting/line of sight ranged skills are hit or miss. I would make a change to water pets...have them heal instead.. Fire/Air pets damage, Earth protective shields, and water pet for health. Tempest is pretty good but I haven’t put a lot of time into it.
  2. Necromancer. Core Necromancer is ok but lackluster damage. Reaper is good with survivability. Can’t go wrong with Necromancer but it is slow. Los is questionable. Same problem with Elementalist. I’ve tried camera view with skills and it has helped, but not completely accurate.
  3. Thief. Thief is fun to play pp/dd. Once a player progresses to harder pve content it becomes a matter of kill or be killed. Daredevil is basically hit and run..more running than anything else. Deadeye for that long range damage...it’s lackluster. Can’t really see a use for thief in hard pve content..one hit..dead.
  4. Engineer is a fun class to play. Average damage but not as survivable as Necromancer. Lvl 80 working on holosmith.
  5. . Mesmer and guardian are at lvl 20 and seem to be easy to use. Mesmer has ok damage but squishy. Guardian has good damage and looks like a good class to play. My fighter will be deleted soon. The Revenant seems sturdy and needs more damage.

For new players Necromancer. For fun and laughter the engineer. If a players wants more damage go Weaver/tempest. Ranged damage Mesmer and in your face guardian or revenant. The fighter ..well good luck.

@EyzKold.8247 said:Can’t really see a use for thief in hard pve content..one hit..dead.

You can do tons of damage as Staff Daredevil, with good reflect uptime, reasonable breakbar capability, and decent personal evasion. Also thieves are great for skips (stealthing the whole group past speedbump monsters without fighting them) and some raid bosses give you really amazing stolen skills.

• 2 weeks later...

Thief is one of those classes that doesn't need to weaponswap, unless you need the utility of another set. Usually I pick a "main weapon", and a utility weapon like sword/pistol (cc) or shortbow (shadow steps / blast finishers).

Staff is the only weapon that will fit every circumstance, so my offhand weapon set will generally change accordingly.

You want lazy dps with good cleave damage for Invigorating Precision? Pick a staff.Are you not a daredevil? Pick up d/d or learn to play a rifle.Want to mash 3 for single target ranged damage, or headshot spam for cc? Pick up p/p.You want on demand stealth and headshot (hard cc) spam? Pick up d/p.You want cc + evade and don't mind trading dps? Pick up sword/pistol.Do you want on demand blast finishers and shadowsteps? Pick up a shortbow.

1 hit...dead? Dude thief can have one of the best self healing in top pve content (raids) with 3.5-6k healing per second ( depending on ur dps ) and im not even talking about the evades! You simply just dodge around and dmg stuff. U want a 1 hit dead thing? Look at warrior's self heal in raids/fractals

Elite ice elemental heals for 7k on its skill, while also having hard cc on it (and aoe chill field every once in a while).

You can make every class tanky (some require more knowledge about class and build craft, some have it "for free") and still do high enough damage for soloing stuff.

Fun how you say thief is one hit dead over weaver when one comes with high damage from evades/strong long range damage with kiting (both practically untouchable in full glass gear) and the other is go full melee and hope you dont get hit or go tempest/tanky condi build.

Engi has among the highest bursts in pve as holo.

Out of all mentioned classes, only ele struggles with buffing itself with more than 2/3 boons and it's the most reliant on boons it cant get to deal very high damage. In solo scenario you can outdamage it with all of the mentioned classes.

@Arcaniaxs.4519 said:1 hit...dead? Dude thief can have one of the best self healing in top pve content (raids) with 3.5-6k healing per second ( depending on ur dps ) and im not even talking about the evades! You simply just dodge around and dmg stuff. U want a 1 hit dead thing? Look at warrior's self heal in raids/fractals

The 1 hit dead is a reference to my character not the target

@EyzKold.8247 said:

@"Arcaniaxs.4519" said:1 hit...dead? Dude thief can have one of the best self healing in top pve content (raids) with 3.5-6k healing per second ( depending on ur dps ) and im not even talking about the evades! You simply just dodge around and dmg stuff. U want a 1 hit dead thing? Look at warrior's self heal in raids/fractals

For the most part your observation just isn't true and is "an l2p issue" :p

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

@"Arcaniaxs.4519" said:1 hit...dead? Dude thief can have one of the best self healing in top pve content (raids) with 3.5-6k healing per second ( depending on ur dps ) and im not even talking about the evades! You simply just dodge around and dmg stuff. U want a 1 hit dead thing? Look at warrior's self heal in raids/fractals

For the most part your observation just isn't true and is "an l2p issue" :pAlready know that

@EyzKold.8247 said:

For the most part your observation just isn't true and is "an l2p issue" :pAlready know that

Since you wnat to play guardian soon: guardian isnt squishy because of low hp.

@EyzKold.8247 said:I’m still new and the games is really fun always an event to get into. The puzzles are really good and finding trouble is not a problem. So, I’ll dive into the classes that I have at 80 and some specializations.

1. Elementalist. I’ve played this class the longest and been having a great time with it. I’ve enjoyed using the Weaver with fire and air and healing with water. I hardly use earth but it does come in handy at times. The burst damage on single target is great but targeting/line of sight ranged skills are hit or miss. I would make a change to water pets...have them heal instead.. Fire/Air pets damage, Earth protective shields, and water pet for health. Tempest is pretty good but I haven’t put a lot of time into it.
  2. Necromancer. Core Necromancer is ok but lackluster damage. Reaper is good with survivability. Can’t go wrong with Necromancer but it is slow. Los is questionable. Same problem with Elementalist. I’ve tried camera view with skills and it has helped, but not completely accurate.
  3. Thief. Thief is fun to play pp/dd. Once a player progresses to harder pve content it becomes a matter of kill or be killed. Daredevil is basically hit and run..more running than anything else. Deadeye for that long range damage...it’s lackluster. Can’t really see a use for thief in hard pve content..one hit..dead.
  4. Engineer is a fun class to play. Average damage but not as survivable as Necromancer. Lvl 80 working on holosmith.
  5. . Mesmer and guardian are at lvl 20 and seem to be easy to use. Mesmer has ok damage but squishy. Guardian has good damage and looks like a good class to play. My fighter will be deleted soon. The Revenant seems sturdy and needs more damage.

For new players Necromancer. For fun and laughter the engineer. If a players wants more damage go Weaver/tempest. Ranged damage Mesmer and in your face guardian or revenant. The fighter ..well good luck.

Earth is mostly sustained tool and it comes in handy when needing onyx skin, but it does have some bleeds at least tempest wise here is where i am talking about.

Tempest is in fact the elite i played the most of ele and i love it, so far after nec ele.

@"Armen.1483" said:Most of this is wrong, lol. What is the point of this post already ?

If we actually teach the OP something by adding 2-3 explanatory sentences after our "lol nope," then we will have made it a useful thread anyway.

@Armen.1483 said:Most of this is wrong, lol. What is the point of this post already ?

What's the point of replying if you aren't going to say how it's wrong? The OP says he's a new player. This is an oppotunity for veterans to share their knowledge with a new player and teach them something. What's the point of your post exactly?

@ASP.8093 said:

@Armen.1483 said:Most of this is wrong, lol. What is the point of this post already ?

If we actually teach the OP something by adding 2-3 explanatory sentences after our "lol nope," then we will have made it a useful thread anyway.@Vayne.8563 said:

What's the point of replying if you aren't going to say how it's wrong? The OP says he's a new player. This is an oppotunity for veterans to share their knowledge with a new player and teach them something. What's the point of your post exactly?If I start teaching them the game, you would come and ask why am I doing it. Anyway I see nobody who asks for help/suggestion or advise, there are no polemics, nothing to discuss here... All I see there is some misleading information that can confuse actual new players, so I don't understand what is the point of this post. And I wrote mine to warn players that the new player's observation is far from the reality. Is it wrong what I said ? Is it wrong why I said that ? Is it offensive ?

@Armen.1483 said:

@ASP.8093 said:

If we actually teach the OP something by adding 2-3 explanatory sentences after our "lol nope," then we will have made it a useful thread anyway.@Vayne.8563 said:

What's the point of replying if you aren't going to say how it's wrong? The OP says he's a new player. This is an oppotunity for veterans to share their knowledge with a new player and teach them something. What's the point of your post exactly?If I start teaching them the game, you would come and ask why am I doing it. Anyway I see nobody who asks for help/suggestion or advise, there are no polemics, nothing to discuss here... All I see there is some misleading information that can confuse actual new players, so I don't understand what is the point of this post. And I wrote mine to warn players that the new player's observation is far from the reality. Is it wrong what I said ? Is it wrong why I said that ? Is it offensive ?

Saying someone is wrong without saying how they're wrong is the post with no value. The statements made by the OP start a conversation. Saying they're wrong with no context is absolutely meaningless. If you don't say how they're wrong why would anyone believe you?

As far as I'm concerned a post that's well thought out and detailed is far more likely to be believed than a post that just says "that's wrong". Not sure why anyone would think otherwise. Therefore, I still don't see the value of your post. You saying it's wrong, with no context gives no one any reason to accept your version of the truth.

Sorry for the lack of updates of what I'm doing as a new player. Thought I would make a quick reply. I'm currently sticking with Necro/Reaper atm. It has good survivability and I can work with it for solo play. I'm working toward the Skyscale and having fun doing it. I had set some goals previously and obtained the Dark Harvest Greatsword and Warpblade. My next great adventure / acquisition will be the Incinerator Dagger 1. I have three fractals left to do but I'm holding off due to funds for infusions.

The overall game is really well done but it needs something for new players. I'm not very well attuned to some of the mechanics of the game (puzzles) and sometimes a "hint" feature would be nice to have around when something goes in a different directions...getting lost, etc. At times I find myself saying, "what the effff?" or have a good laugh and saying, "NO way man!" I probably need a sign to pop up on the map "go this way fool!" hehe.

My elementalist/Weaver and Necro/Reaper are what I enjoy playing the most. I can switch over to their counterparts but seems like more button smashing. The thief is maxed out on skills as well but on the back burner. I do like the idea of what the mesmer can do...teleport. I'm still working on the other professions (rev, guardian, etc). They are between lvl 20 - 40 atm. I like testing them out on hard content to see how well they perform.

My overall goal was to find a profession for doing all pve content and survive while limiting the number of deaths. I don't have any legendary/ascended armor yet but it's on the list of things to obtain in the coming months. I find myself looking at youtube or wiki for information on how to do things....

@EyzKold.8247 said:My overall goal was to find a profession for doing all pve content and survive while limiting the number of deaths.[...]IMHO, you should stick to necro Reaper : reliable DPS, good surviving ability, easy to play and to understand

Weaver Elem is squishy if you are doing it by a pure DPS fashion. Still, it can become tanky with some hybrid stats.

I found core engie was trash, but Holo Engie is awesome ?.

Guardians can do everything good, by switching between FB and DH.

In 15 days I leveled up to 80 and geared a staff daredevil and a Revenant with a power set and a condi one.I deleted both due how bad they are.The daredevil has less dps than a reaper with half the survival, so theres no reason to play it. At least in PVE.The reve played with power build do decent damage but the problem is if you use all your energy in DPS then you dont have enery to heal or protection utilities.The condi reve succs. Torment is one of the worst conditions, dont do a good burst, its slow, and has the same problem of energy, if you invest all in attacks then you cant heal.

@Armen.1483 said:

@ASP.8093 said:

You definitely didn't write your post to warn new players. If you cared about "warning new players" you would have posted something constructive. Regardless of whether or not you are right or wrong, you wrote your post to be a jerk. Let's not lie

@Arcaniaxs.4519 said:1 hit...dead? Dude thief can have one of the best self healing in top pve content (raids) with 3.5-6k healing per second ( depending on ur dps ) and im not even talking about the evades! You simply just dodge around and dmg stuff. U want a 1 hit dead thing? Look at warrior's self heal in raids/fractals

r/nocontext

when you get oneshotted just remember you have 6k heal per sec! it totally helps!