The Ancient Humans before Tyria?

Captain Wesker.1892

This can sound pretty stupid or pretty awesome depending how it's done, It would be awesome to think the Guild Wars universe takes millions of years after Man Kind and Technology. Nuclear war devastated the world and nearly wiped out the population, millions of years later Tyria was born along with new race of beings and completely changed continents and the structures from the old world have long been buried in time.

After the event's of Guild Wars 2 Path of Fire, explorers search an underwater cave just off the coast of Lion's Arch, as they venture further down into the cave they stumble upon a large ruin statue of a lady with a spiked crown and they look to the left of the statue, there is a big broken piece and an inscription that says on it "JULY IV MDCCLXXVI" (July 4, 1776). I could go on for hours and make a book out of this but you get the general idea, it would be awesome for the next expansion to be about the Ancient Humans before Tyria.

Placing spaces before the start of a line puts them in that annoying text area that does not break lines.

@"Captain Wesker.1892" said:This can sound pretty stupid or pretty awesome depending how it's done, It would be awesome to think the Guild Wars universe takes millions of years after Man Kind and Technology. Nuclear war devastated the world and nearly wiped out the population, millions of years later Tyria was born along with new race of beings and completely changed continents and the structures from the old world have long been buried in time.After the event's of Guild Wars 2 Path of Fire, explorers search an underwater cave just off the coast of Lion's Arch, as they venture further down into the cave they stumble upon a large ruin statue of a lady with a spiked crown and they look to the left of the statue, there is a big broken piece and an inscription that says on it "JULY IV MDCCLXXVI" (July 4, 1776). I could go on for hours and make a book out of this but you get the general idea, it would be awesome for the next expansion to be about the Ancient Humans before Tyria.

Humans are all over the place in most fantasy settings. And in fiction there's many 'portal crossroad worlds' like Sigil in D&D, the mists in GW2, The Dark Tower, or the many places called "Nexus".

So they could have come to Tyria from basically anywhere. It could have been from a version of Earth saved by the gods before annihilation, or from any manner of worlds.

And because of the atemporal nature of the mists, they could have also come from anytime.

Humans come from another world in the GW setting, so Tyria is 100,000% not "future Earth" nor would there be something like the statue of liberty under Lion's Arch.

Humans also came to this world alongside the gods whom are humanoid, possibly some or most being ascended humans, and most likely alongside the Forgotten - and by extension, titans as the titans are "nearly" as old as the Forgotten. Based on how fast they advanced, they were Bronze/Iron Age equivalent in their technology - were they from future Earth, they'd be much further along than just swords and arrows for 1,500 years.

You're not the first to suggest such a thing, but I'm highly doubtful about that kind of plot twist. Nor do I think it would add much if anything to the game's lore, really.

NO GOD PLEASE NO! I am so SICK of earth in EVERYTHING! I don't want more of real life, I want something interesting! It's why thor and guardians movies are my favorite out of marvel and why marvel is basically the only major thing I like set in earth. How are people not tired of this?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

That ruined statue is likely an Easter Egg put in by the developers rather than a canon lore

Have you ever watched the original 1968 version of Planet of the Apes? If so, then you'd know the reference of a ruined statue of a lady with a crown and another piece with Roman numerals of that particular date (which happens to be part of a tablet or tabula ansata).

I don't want to spoil the movie - if you haven't seen it, give it a watch! Remember, not the remakes, the original one :)

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Humans come from another world in the GW setting, so Tyria is 100,000% not "future Earth" nor would there be something like the statue of liberty under Lion's Arch.

Humans also came to this world alongside the gods whom are humanoid, possibly some or most being ascended humans, and most likely alongside the Forgotten - and by extension, titans as the titans are "nearly" as old as the Forgotten. Based on how fast they advanced, they were Bronze/Iron Age equivalent in their technology - were they from future Earth, they'd be much further along than just swords and arrows for 1,500 years.

You're not the first to suggest such a thing, but I'm highly doubtful about that kind of plot twist. Nor do I think it would add much if anything to the game's lore, really.

Given that Dhuum was one of the six at the time and he created Titans, their timeline is explained rather easily

You may notice that the Ascalonian alphabet is the same as the Phoenician, albeit with some adaptation. Tyria is an alternate name for the dominions of Tyre; Ascalon is also known as the modern city of Ashkelon in Israel. Maybe this gives clues about the plane and time where the first humans came from.

Orrians clearly were the first of the human kingdoms. Ideas of architecture they must have learned from Achaemenid Persia are evident. I seem to recall the gods bringing humanity over from another world.

@"Noia.9413" said:You may notice that the Ascalonian alphabet is the same as the Phoenician, albeit with some adaptation. Tyria is an alternate name for the dominions of Tyre; Ascalon is also known as the modern city of Ashkelon in Israel. Maybe this gives clues about the plane and time where the first humans came from.

By that line of thought, djinn are from Saudi Arabia, charr are ancient Romans, and norn come from Finland, Scandinavia, and Norway.

Those are just references and easter eggs, nothing more. Supremely common in all forms of fantasy fiction. Same way Kurzicks have Germanic names, Gothic European structures, and Japanese/Geisha clothing. Or how the term "asura" comes from Hindu mythology and a lot of asuran location names are Latinized.

@"The Greyhawk.9107" said:So, you want to turn Guild Wars into the Shannara series? Look, while I was a big fan of Shannara when I was a kid, and do still love the first few novels, this isn't where I think GW should go (especially after seeing that abortion of a TV adaption). I think its better for GW to say away from that kind of concept.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the OPs idea sounds exactly like the Shannara series. It's a cool idea - I'm not sure if it has a name but I called it post-post-apocalyptic on the basis that a post-apocalyptic story is set in the wreckage of a former civilisation, but the Shannara series and things like it (probably one of the best known now is Horizon Zero Dawn) are after that - when things have gone back around to a reasonably healthy world and new civilisations largely independent of what came before.

But it's not GW2. For a start we already have our apocalypse cycle with the Elder Dragons rising, consuming most of the magic (which kills off a lot of the life on the planet) and going back to sleep for thousands of years. For another thing when you've already set up an elaborate high fantasy world with it's own history, mythology and magic reverting to "oh but actually it's Earth" is a bit lame. The Shannara series could get away with it because it was the first fantasy story to do that, and because otherwise it would be even more of a blatant copy of Lord of the Rings.

@Noia.9413 said:You may notice that the Ascalonian alphabet is the same as the Phoenician, albeit with some adaptation. Tyria is an alternate name for the dominions of Tyre; Ascalon is also known as the modern city of Ashkelon in Israel. Maybe this gives clues about the plane and time where the first humans came from.

Orrians clearly were the first of the human kingdoms. Ideas of architecture they must have learned from Achaemenid Persia are evident. I seem to recall the gods bringing humanity over from another world.

There's also a city called Tyria in Valyria in A Song of Ice and Fire. So maybe the humans came from there and the gods lead them away when Valyria was destroyed. That would explain why there's so few people able to do magic in A Song of Ice and Fire - they all came to Tyria where magic is an every day occurrence. It would also explain the reverence for dragons in ancient Cantha in spite of their destructive tendencies in Tyria.

Or maybe both series borrowed ideas from the same places, particularly real life. It's incredibly difficult to come up with anything truly original, the vast majority of fiction of any kind borrows from what's come before, whether that's previous fiction or folklore and mythology, or religion or real life, or (most likely) a mix of them all.

Sylvari culture is heavily influenced by Celtic and Gaelic language and the folklore and culture of medieval Britain. That doesn't mean the mysterious cave where the Pale Tree's seed was found must have actually been on Earth and she subconsciously learned all about the culture around her before being brought to Tyria. It just means Anet's writers borrowed ideas from real life and in this case they picked that time and place to borrow most stuff from.

I'd love to find out where Tyrian humans came from originally. I'd love to have a whole storyline exploring how and why they left and what happened to their home world afterwards. But I think Earth before, after or during present day is the least interesting possible answer. However you spin it it's already been done. (Even if they said the gods are actually humans sucked into their computers and teleported to Tyria where they suddenly find they actually have the powers they just pretended to have in a game and must use them to save humanity - that's the Ultima series.)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

@"Captain Wesker.1892" said:This can sound pretty stupid or pretty awesome depending how it's done, It would be awesome to think the Guild Wars universe takes millions of years after Man Kind and Technology. Nuclear war devastated the world and nearly wiped out the population, millions of years later Tyria was born along with new race of beings and completely changed continents and the structures from the old world have long been buried in time.After the event's of Guild Wars 2 Path of Fire, explorers search an underwater cave just off the coast of Lion's Arch, as they venture further down into the cave they stumble upon a large ruin statue of a lady with a spiked crown and they look to the left of the statue, there is a big broken piece and an inscription that says on it "JULY IV MDCCLXXVI" (July 4, 1776). I could go on for hours and make a book out of this but you get the general idea, it would be awesome for the next expansion to be about the Ancient Humans before Tyria.

The Ancients ascended. Some of them stayed in the mortal world and helped the primitive beings to evolve. Some of them build cities (now ruined) becoming beacons of civilization for the primitives. The humans are the creation (and the descendants in the same time) of the Ancients.

The time passed. False Gods deceived the humans to worship them. Then, using the (StarGates) sorry - the Mist they brought the humans to Tyria.The humans started to doubt their (false) Gods. They fought them and two of the Gods are now dead. Taking Dhuum into account we can say that three original False Gods are now MIA.A horrible treat appears: The merciless Elder Dragons (Orri). Invoicing the non intervention rule, the "gods" seems to prefer to let Tyria to perish rather than to stop the Orri.The SGC (our guild) is the only humankind hope. Along with new allies: The Jaffa (Norn+Jotun), Furlings (Charr), the funny but smart little Asgard (Assura) race and the VOX race (Sylvari), and under the guidance of the Force they boldly goes where nobody stepped before.I think the story deserves a happy end: The enemies are defeated and he marries with the Princess. The exact time of the wedding is: JULY IV MDCCLXXVI" (July 4, 1776). This hints to an independent family. Also hints the he will not become a king, but rather the Princess will become a business women.

End.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:the Cliffside Fractal is describe as something about "early Tyria" https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cliffside_Fractal

I never knew this, that's fascinating. When I first stepped into the Bastion of the Penitent I got a Cliffside feel from it as if they could be in the same area. Also given the weird things that were going on with time and the fact that some of the objects eluded to some connection to the mists and the general floaty mist-like nature of cliffside I always wondered if that area and the woodland cascades/isles of janthir were somehow more connected to the mists than the rest of Tyria.

Although I love the idea of Cantha more, I do look forward to possibly someday exploring more from this part of Tyria.

Also, that makes me wonder who the blue giant is in Cliffside. Could that be Janthir whom this area is named after?

I just hope for more lore on Norn then Charr, as the other races has had a lot of focus. I did enjoy the Olmakhan stuff last episode, which originally I thought were remnants of the charr invasion force that attacked Orr and retreated south. Though thinking back I don’t think any charr survived the Cataclysm.

Archived