Suggestion: Buy Each Mode Separately

Halan.8951

The game isn't a black box you buy without knowing what's inside. Every little feature it has is transparent to anyone interested in knowing about it so making the conscious choice of not playing a mode, any mode, falls on the individual. Asking for segmentation makes no sense and just reeks of what has been strongly criticized recently with AAA game developers that wish to squeeze money out of players.

I can't speak much about not playing a particular game mode because I have played every single one of them at least a bit and found enjoyable things on all of them, but it would be my prerogative if I didn't.

@Halan.8951 said:My reasoning for this is that people who don't play some modes won't feel like they don't get their money worth. Paid for whole game, plays only 70% of it.Each mode would have more quality to justify purchase.Raiders and ranked pvpers act like some sort of demigods in some threads and look down on other players. Let them put their money where their mouth is, and see if they can support development for those modes without leeching off general populace.

I'd gladly threw more money at ANet if I could get MORE Living World episodes and maps. Maybe other people would finance development of other aspects of the game.

Comparisons to EA don't tell me anything, I mostly buy single-player games from GoG.All of us on this forum already supported development, we bought the game and most likely its expansions. I fail to see your point unless you want something like $15 raid DLC 10 times a year not available to PvPer in which case, yes you want to it to be like EA/Activision-Blizzard does it etc.

Many of us keep supporting GW2 because Anet is sticking to the traditional method of game + expansions that doesnt split the communities and destroy the game in the long run. I dont wish that on GW2. I dont want a lesser game.

That raiders act like asshats is irrelevant, they would do it either way.

Please no. All that would accomplish is fragmenting the playerbase to an unreasonable level. Patching and tech support would be a nightmare. Also are you proposing crowdfunding every single update then? Or having micro DLC for every update?

You also fail to account that currently, raids are considered part of PVE. So buying separatly wouldn't change you paying for and not playing raids. Just how far do you want to separate content: JP? Lots of people complain about them. Collections? Achievements? Story instances? I personally dislike the story but love JP and open world. Do i get to separate them?

This is an MMO that you share with other people, just because you dont like that content doesnt mean its not worth funding and not a valuable part of the game. Its your choice if you play it or not, dont make the game worse because of that.

@Halan.8951 said:My reasoning for this is that people who don't play some modes won't feel like they don't get their money worth. Paid for whole game, plays only 70% of it.Each mode would have more quality to justify purchase.Raiders and ranked pvpers act like some sort of demigods in some threads and look down on other players. Let them put their money where their mouth is, and see if they can support development for those modes without leeching off general populace.

I'd gladly threw more money at ANet if I could get MORE Living World episodes and maps. Maybe other people would finance development of other aspects of the game.

Comparisons to EA don't tell me anything, I mostly buy single-player games from GoG.

That's your PERSONAL opinion, mine is I paid my money for the game and expansions, and I play what I paid for 100%(even if that means I don't set foot in PvP, WvW and Raids/Fractals/Dungeons[which by the way I didn't bother with since launch, though I have been inside all of them in another method]).

@Halan.8951 said:My reasoning for this is that people who don't play some modes won't feel like they don't get their money worth. Paid for whole game, plays only 70% of it.Each mode would have more quality to justify purchase.

Therein lies the problem. There are two modes that couldn't justify purchase as they currently stand, so this move would kill them off permanently without any chance of improvement.

@Halan.8951 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:If such a thing existed, would one have to pay before such content was created? Would it be a sort of crowd-funding? If not, how would the Devs know what content to create that would pay for itself? Or would it be a case of having the Devs create content that may or may not sell, and waste the resources?How would it differ from story or feature DLC for single-player game? Or even GW Bonus mission pack or EotN? Or ordering separate dishes in restaurant instead of some bundle with foods that you don't like.Some buy it, some don't. Make the product good, it'll increase the chance of buying. Because now you get constant complains from PvPer/WvWers that their mode is abandoned.Since it's about different playstyles, maybe use either ingame poll or internal metrics to decide if it's even profitable to do.

It would be something like - base expansion is Open World, Story and Living World releases.Additional packs - new Raids, new side Stories not connected to main storyline, but rather "horizontal" lore expansion, new PvP maps and modes like CTF.

Make a slight discount if you buy all the packages at once.

Great, then just as it is now as far as resources go. No extra resources for this mode or that mode. I'm wondering what kind of PR it would engender. Surely it would not cost only $30 for everything if it was a la carte, considering it would take more resources to split content and make changes to the client.

@Halan.8951 said:

@"Cronospere.8143" said:So splitting the game would be useless, you would still pay for the "Guild Wars" games. How do you think the Original guildwars servers are funded?It would stimulate developers to make each mode as good as possible to make more people buy them all, instead of half-a$$ing them.Also raids would HAVE to be done with general populace in mind (or even LFR added), otherwise most people simply won't buy them.

It's a nice fantasy to believe that charging a la carte is going to generate more revenue or a better allocation of resources. The truth is that a strong management team is going to do well without enough people and do great with more. Whereas a weak team can stuff things up even worse if they have more to waste.

It's also not likely that raids would be redesigned: the raid team is a tiny team relative to ANet's other PvE teams and either they'd design something much more niche, to appeal wildly to an enthusiastic crowd or they'd disband the team and save money by not offering it at all. It would do non-raiders no good at all.

Only thing they should add in a modular design is a Heart of the Mists unlock. At a very low price allow players to unlock all elite specs and gear and play structured PVP as it was meant to be, instant max level, all gear/skills available, only skill matters. As it is now, elite specs are overpowered and PVP is kind of P2W, you need the, very expensive if you only PVP, expansions in order to be competitive.

Similar thing existed in Guild Wars 1 so there is a precedent for this, by the same company.

@maddoctor.2738 said:Only thing they should add in a modular design is a Heart of the Mists unlock. At a very low price allow players to unlock all elite specs and gear and play structured PVP as it was meant to be, instant max level, all gear/skills available, only skill matters. As it is now, elite specs are overpowered and PVP is kind of P2W, you need the, very expensive if you only PVP, expansions in order to be competitive.

Similar thing existed in Guild Wars 1 so there is a precedent for this, by the same company.They already did. For the low price of $50 you get to unlock all of HoT and PoF PvP stuff and you get all their PvE content as a bonus!

Or did you think that $10 to unlock one elite tree on a single class, $20 to unlock a story in one expansions, $10 per additional LS every other month and $5 to join a PvP season was going to get cheaper?

@"Dawdler.8521" said:They already did. For the low price of $50 you get to unlock all of HoT and PoF PvP stuff and you get all their PvE content as a bonus!

That's not a low price and it still has PVE content included. I'm talking about having just the elite specs for pure PVP players.http://store.guildwars.com/store/gw/en_IE/pd/productID.305585700In Guild Wars 1 you unlocked all PVP-only content for an actual low price of $18 which includes 3 campaigns and 1 expansion worth of skills.

Archived