Grow the PVP Population and Lower Toxicity in Ranked All in One Step - Here is How

psyt.9415

One of the best things Arenanet can do to grow the game and increase population in pvp is to allow people to have fun but still be rewarded.

I propose we give the Unranked Queue 5 pips per win as opposed to 10 in Ranked and 1 per top stat. Put all the maps back in rotation on Unranked. Courtyard, that one that used to have the underwater point forget its name etc. etc. and just let people screw around and have fun! I keep seeing Anet devs mentioning the concern for "splitting the population" whenever there is talk of adding game modes or beefing up Unranked. Its actually pretty sad if they don't look at these ideas as a way to "increase" the population. Somethings wrong when they look at it as a stagnant mode to "maintain" rather than to "grow." You lower toxicity because people that don't want to be in ranked wont be in Ranked.

Stagnating Population

• PVP population is stagnating due to balance but there is no true balance in PVP MMOs and they all suffer from imbalance, its something we accept to a degree
  • PVP MMOs enforce a strict adherence to the "meta" which poses an unfriendly barrier to entry, you cant play whatever you want have fun or you face toxicity
  • Most games combat this by having an Unranked queue, unfortunately GW2 is different from other games because it doesn't incentivize Unranked (you get no pips)
  • This forces people that dont really want to be in ranked to join Ranked and those that just want to play for fun but still want to be rewarded to also join Ranked
  • This breeds a toxic game, you cant have fun and still progress in reward pips at the same time

The Benefits

• You grow the population, look at WoW you get some pve folks trying out BGs just for fun and rewards but with out the pressure of being mentally abused in a Rank queue
  • In most games arena is for the ones that want to do Arena
  • Eventually some folks decide they like Unranked enough they want to step up to 10 pips a win or they want a title or MMR rank so they graduate to Ranked queue, this grows the game and increases the level of competition in Ranked because people will spend more time in unranked before they make the jump
  • You lower toxicity because people that don't want to be in ranked wont be in Ranked
  • You grow the population because people get a more diverse range of maps in the Unranked queue than the pure conquest maps which frankly are stale

Grow the PVP game mode! Vote add Pips 2018

So the big problem with unranked has been talked about many times, and is not going to be solved here. Unranked is absolutely horrible to learn in because no one knows how to play, and you get groups of 5 running around together capping points, ignoring mechanics, ect. You literally un-learn how to actually play. I do however think that adding pips may be a good idea. I've had several games clogged with people that would run crap builds, duo-que on horrible rangers, literally starting a match by seeing in chat "Just so you know, I'm useless in a fight", ect. In ranked. The common advice on the forums is to learn in ranked as you actually have more teammates that are not learning, and you can see what to do. When you want to see if a build works, you test it in ranked, because unranked doesn't include meta builds usually, so how will you know if it's any good. I've had teammates that came into ranked saying things like "I can't play thieves, but I'm here for the backpack". This is all good intentions from Anet to get people into PvP, and it has got some people in, but it's also ruined a lot of the competitive nature of ranked because they just want the rewards. Unfortunately other than moving backpack things to unranked, and adding pips to unranked, I don't see the scene growing from much on that. Growing the community through existing reward attempts has cause a small increase in population, and also losses because those of us there to learn the game mode and win are getting matches with people that are just there for rewards.

TLDR: I agree that we need pips in unranked and also think that we should move backpacks to unranked to bring people in, but we need to make ranked matches exactly that. People who are there to learn and win, and run the best builds to win. Unranked should be everything else. Crap builds, reward farming, and letting people see if they are interested in the idea before moving to ranked, and not a place to grind to rank 20 to farm more rewards by playing badly.

Also, the name of the map with underwater was Capricorn. We won't get that back, because it came back with a Revenge. See what they did there?

@thatdarnkatz.7168 said:So the big problem with unranked has been talked about many times, and is not going to be solved here. Unranked is absolutely horrible to learn in because no one knows how to play, and you get groups of 5 running around together capping points, ignoring mechanics, ect. You literally un-learn how to actually play.

That's the biggest issue of PvP at the moment. People trying the mode can easily be put off of the difficulty curve and never come back. Give motives to people so that the PvP population grow but also give them the tools to accommodate themselves easier and faster.

Also regarding the ranked mode there should be a more advanced system of rating players, one that takes account their game performance and hit them more when underperforming. That should both motivate dedicated PvPers and also should send the casuals (farmers) to a lower rank so that they wouldn't interfere with people playing seriously.

Issue with population is NOT THAT SIMPLE

1. You can't compere NA and UE population - most I hear that in NA is worse and in china it's disaster.
  2. Most population issues are about: not enough people in plat+1 that force's game to search for players in lower divisions creating frustrating matches.
  3. Most of the best players left because of pro-league silence and death of ESL. It was their end game and monthly at's didn't provide enough to get them back to gw 2 and try hard again.
  4. Those wanted to get to proleuage level after number 3. left or stopped improving deciding gw 2 is a dead game.
  5. Many casual's left after gutting rewards after season 5.
  6. Although we can say that population is fine in middle of ladder gold +/- (at least in EU) and ques are enough fast but we can say this only when it's prime time - weekends, nights and mornings naturally cause large population drops making mmr and matchmaking completely crazy.

Balance is minor problem at best as true issue is - being good gw 2 pvp is not worth it...we don't get anything unique or prestigious. If i would get God of PVP title - nobody would give a s.I might not also not give s about ranked cause anet can't remove titles, it's mine forever so I don't have to play to maintain it.

If would magically won monthly At - nobody would say about me ,,i wish i was that good"...no he would say ,,oh you won 500 gold fighting the best in eu..My friend, do you know how much i earned gold doing chest's on silverwaste's while watching tv? Ow what's c**p over your head? Those skin's you earned in pvp look like rags, compere them to my legendary armor from raids earned by clicking same button combinations over and over vs npc...I think Anet clearly thinks i am superior player then you."

The problem is:there is no pride in being good in pvpthere is no prestige in being the best in pvpthere is no reason to be good, to improve, to practice for sake of being good.Anet need's to give people reasons to play pvp seriously...that's all.

@psyt.9415 sorry man - you have good intentions... but to be completely honest with you nobody who seriously care or would care about playing pvp and hard trying give's s**t about pips. I would personally would remove any pips for loosing because you lost! How you would ever want to improve even as causal if the game treat's you like a carebear. There should be something when match is close ok...but rewards for 0-500 matches?

Sorry but nothing you proposed would change anything....

@Griever.8150 said:I'm really not following the logic about how removing incentives to play ranked would help with the player population, unless you guys want ranked to only be a Plat+ player country-club or something?

Who said anything about removing anything re-read my post. Also if its proven to be effective in every other MMO with PVP, why is GW2 the only one it wont? Id like if some of you could provide some sort of real life factual examples of giving rewards in non ranked causing ranked to flounder in other MMOs. Anyone can drive by post with no basis..

Show me where it hasn't worked in real life application. Sometimes Arenanet needs to swallow their ego and see what their competitors are doing and build on that and make it better. Blizzard has been doing it for years. WoW - has taken things from EQ and even WAR and made it better. They took Magic and made it more accessible in Hearthstone. Blizzard has been doing it for years and their games pvp is super popular because people are allowed to have fun and there is a low barrier to entry. Games should have a low barrier to entry to start earning rewards and having fun but should be hard to master.

WoW suffers from the same issues as GW2 they are both mmos but one is designed to attract people the other is designed to be insular and maintain rather than to grow and so it has a huge barrier to entry thats extremely off putting to those starting out. Wouldn't win trading and pub stomps also be a concern in WoW/MMOS/ PVP Fps in general, how did they solve it or slow it down? Use that industry knowledge? Think about it folks you don't need to reinvent the wheel sometimes you can just take good ideas and take the easy win on solving these issues. GW2 isn't the only one. It is the only one with a stifling barrier to entry that doesn't allow new folks to get in and enjoy themselves simply because of a lack of industry knowledge.

@"Mr Godlike.6098" said:Issue with population is NOT THAT SIMPLE

1. You can't compere NA and UE population - most I hear that in NA is worse and in china it's disaster.
  2. Most population issues are about: not enough people in plat+1 that force's game to search for players in lower divisions creating frustrating matches.
  3. Most of the best players left because of pro-league silence and death of ESL. It was their end game and monthly at's didn't provide enough to get them back to gw 2 and try hard again.
  4. Those wanted to get to proleuage level after number 3. left or stopped improving deciding gw 2 is a dead game.
  6. Although we can say that population is fine in middle of ladder gold +/- (at least in EU) and ques are enough fast but we can say this only when it's prime time - weekends, nights and mornings naturally cause large population drops making mmr and matchmaking completely crazy.

Balance is minor problem at best as true issue is - being good gw 2 pvp is not worth it...we don't get anything unique or prestigious. If i would get God of PVP title - nobody would give a s.I might not also not give s about ranked cause anet can't remove titles, it's mine forever so I don't have to play to maintain it.

If would magically won monthly At - nobody would say about me ,,i wish i was that good"...no he would say ,,oh you won 500 gold fighting the best in eu..My friend, do you know how much i earned gold doing chest's on silverwaste's while watching tv? Ow what's c**p over your head? Those skin's you earned in pvp look like rags, compere them to my legendary armor from raids earned by clicking same button combinations over and over vs npc...I think Anet clearly thinks i am superior player then you."

The problem is:there is no pride in being good in pvpthere is no prestige in being the best in pvpthere is no reason to be good, to improve, to practice for sake of being good.Anet need's to give people reasons to play pvp seriously...that's all.

@psyt.9415 sorry man - you have good intentions... but to be completely honest with you nobody who seriously care or would care about playing pvp and hard trying give's s**t about pips. I would personally would remove any pips for loosing because you lost! How you would ever want to improve even as causal if the game treat's you like a carebear. There should be something when match is close ok...but rewards for 0-500 matches?

I believe it would. You are looking at this from a point of view thats basically "Why would anyone do ranked If pips were not exclusive to Ranked?" Why does anyone do anything in CS Go, Overwatch, WOW PVP or League of Legends. Its for the competitive play and bragging rights. If you increase the pool of people playing pvp by making rewards accessible in unranked by extension you increase those that realize they enjoy it and want to take it to the next level to ranked for the bragging rights and the rating. When people get to Plat in League of Legends its not for the points to get a new champ...... they earn those anyway in unranked which is how it should be in GW2. Its for the higher level of competition and the bragging rights. Are we really decreasing the amount of Plat players from Ranked by doing this or are we scooping out a huge pile of new bronze and silver players that you don't want to play against any way? Everyone pisses and moans they get paired up with these players in ranked. Take them out of the queue problem solved. When people get bored of Unranked and want more challenge they will naturally gravitate to Ranked. This increases quality of competition and gives us a bigger pool of new players that will eventually graduate to Ranked. Why is GW2 any different than any other pvp game on the market? Its not.

Tweak the reward balance to the point Ranked is definitely better but its still value added to do Unranked. 5 pips a win, 3 pips a win whatever find the balance but give something.

@psyt.9415 said:

@"Mr Godlike.6098" said:Issue with population is NOT THAT SIMPLE

Balance is minor problem at best as true issue is - being good gw 2 pvp is not worth it...we don't get anything unique or prestigious. If i would get God of PVP title - nobody would give a s
.I might not also not give s
about ranked cause anet can't remove titles, it's mine forever so I don't have to play to maintain it.

I believe it would. You are looking at this from a point of view thats basically "why would anyone do ranked If pips were locked off?" Why does anyone do anything in CS Go, Overwatch, WOW PVP or League of Legends. Its for the competitive play and bragging rights. If you increase the pool of people playing pvp by making rewards accessible in unranked by extension you increase those that realize they enjoy it and want to take it to the next level to ranked for the bragging rights and the rating. When people get to Plat in League of Legends its not for the points to get a new champ...... they earn those anyway in unranked which is how it should be in GW2. Its for the higher level of competition and the bragging rights. Are we really decreasing the amount of Plat players from Ranked by doing this or are we scooping out a huge pile of new bronze and silver players that you don't want to play against any way? Everyone pisses and moans they get paired up with these players in ranked. Take them out of the queue problem solved. When people get bored of Unranked and want more challenge they will naturally gravitate to Ranked. This increases quality of competition and gives us a bigger pool of new players that will eventually graduate to Ranked. Why is GW2 any different than any other pvp game on the market? Its not.

Tweak the reward balance to the point Ranked is definitely better but its still value added to do Unranked. 5 pips a win, 3 pips a win whatever find the balance but give something.

Games you mentioned are the worst possible examples you could make (expect WoW) simply because they don't pve modes attached to it rewarding you for being brain dead grinder and keyboard clicking machine.

Dude I played quake II and arena, CS when it was just half-life mode in primitive Internet cafe spending all my pocket money. It was amazing back then...You know why? Because I could kick my friends a**es and it feel amazing to be just better then somebody! To feel that you are good!

And what's gw 2 expirance? I play this game 5 years...i have seen bunker meta, turret engies, perma stealth condi thief , times when nobody knew in pvp what necro is...and i feel empty...i feel nothing when I win, i feel nothing when lose...sometimes i feel just tired when i feel about doing some matches to be just visible on ladder. There is no satisfaction...cause nobody give's a crap and i don't give crap too.

I don't think i am alone...i think there are a lot people in this game like me who spend so much time in pvp... experienced players but not good in prologue sense...and feel that improving in spvp was just waste of time there is no real purpose of that. Internet cafes era is looong over for me and I am now adult...so i know i can just uninstall this game and play something that is fun! And you know gw 2 is really old game if you think about this...and in larger world people still don't know it's still alive...so i have now really crazy idea...that 80% pvp gw 2 middle skilled pvp players thinks like me...and we might be even 50% overall spvp population...Now when you know what is on my mind...you know why ,,pips in unranked save pvp" sound like it sounds.

I might surprise you but i don't want casuals to leave ranked - I want them to stay...i want them loose... and learn from it...To think ,,maybe something is wrong with my attitude...maybe i should ask people what is pvp build and what's viable on or not...watch good pvp streamers...understand what's mystical ,,rotation" is...

But how that people will ever get any motivation if ex-proleauge players don't have reason to hard try, deleting titles or even win trading even if they could easily get the titles by just playing fair!?

But you know what...let's not be so much grim so my few ideas:-make 1v1 arenas in unranked so people will have safe space to test their builds-we have every class npc in HoFM and default pvp builds presets - why those npc couldn't run updated meta builds so people could learn what this class does and what does not-stop rewarding looseing, better rewards for close games even if you loose '-improve At monthly rewards - more unique pvp rewards like skin's mounts, finishers ( Ben already told that is unlikely but idea feels amazing)-I think after so many seasons since season 5....ranked title's didn't do it's job in rewarding players...or really motivating players...anet needs to rethink this...-anet should stop making elite spec's that reward no real effort...like DH in HoT or Scoruge....on all classes real EFFORT should reward with results...it' simply re**** what good ele or rev gains by being good when you compere to re-roll scourge player that just got into gold...because he played scourge. NOT BY NERFING MECHANICS...But making THEM A CHALLENGE.

Will my ideas will make revolution in pvp? Probably not...but i think it would be little be better overall.

@Mr Godlike.6098 said:quake II and arena, CS when it was just half-life mode in primitive Internet cafe spending all my pocket money. I
t was amazing back then...You know why? Because I could kick my friends a
es and it feel amazing to be just better then somebody! To feel that you are good!And what's gw 2 experience? I play this game 5 years...i have seen bunker meta, turret engies, perma stealth condi thief , times when nobody knew in pvp what necro is...and i feel empty...i feel nothing when I win, i feel nothing when lose...sometimes i feel just tired when i feel about doing some matches to be just visible on ladder. There is no satisfaction...cause nobody give's a crap and i don't give crap too.

Your proving my point actually. Best thing about Ranked in competitive games is the feeling of beating a skilled opponent. That is what you said yourself. I dont know if you skimmed my post but nobody is saying take away pips from ranked. Im saying give SOME to Unranked. We need to get more players into playing pvp in general , and get those that don't want to be in ranked out of ranked to increase the quality of competition. You can do that by incentivizing new players to get into the game mode in the first place with a lower barrier to entry before you thrust them into ranked to be heckled and smack talked for trying builds.

It works on the same theory that free to play and buy to play work on. I'm sure Arenanet is keenly aware of this business model. You attract a large amount of people by putting a low barrier of entry to your game.... eventually people like it enough to buy the Expacs, gems and skins..... you now have attracted someone that probably wouldn't have bought a box and paid a sub to TRY your game. For every free player x amount will graduate to buying gems and expacs and some will become whales. Profit!

Same with growing PVP. You set a low barrier to entry by giving SOME pips in unranked (not as much as ranked) and creating a large rotation of fun maps (maybe some GW1 remakes). This attracts a larger amount of people that might not of bothered with PVP and they don't feel forced into Ranked where they will be humiliated and face toxicity for learning to PVP..... eventually X like it enough they crave higher quality of competition. They move into ranked. Profit, population grows and interest in the mode grows. You bait them to try pvp with pips.

In both cases you attract a large pool of people and from that pool people get hooked then graduate to Gems/ Ranked. Versus right now only serious pvpers will try the pvp because they know if they go to Ranked they will probably be embarrassed and a lot of people wont commit to something they have a sour experience. Or they go to Unranked and get nothing which isn't enough of carrot to get a non pvper hooked on pvp.

I believe conquest mode itself is also to blame. I think instanced BGs 8v8 would probably attract more folks to, with out capture circles, but capture areas. People like to blend in and not be singled out generally when new to pvp. Having more players helps with this. Conversely 8 is also not a big enough number to be a mindless zerg blob.

@"psyt.9415" said:One of the best things Arenanet can do to grow the game and increase population in pvp is to allow people to have fun but still be rewarded.Unranked players are already being rewarded - it's called reward tracks. In addition, it's 15s for a loss and 30s for a win. You make it sound like unranked has absolutely nothing to offer.

• PVP MMOs enforce a strict adherence to the "meta" which poses an unfriendly barrier to entry, you cant play whatever you want have fun or you face toxicityYou can play whatever you want as long as you are effective. Many of the mistakes made in sPvP are tactical, like people chasing a bunker spellbreaker around the map instead of capping nodes or feeding mid because "surely if I rush in for the 5th time 1v4 I'll definitely win this"
  • Most games combat this by having an Unranked queue, unfortunately GW2 is different from other games because it doesn't incentivize Unranked (you get no pips)But you still get rewards from reward track and gold for participation (which is more gold than WvW players get) as mentioned above.
  • This forces people that don't really want to be in ranked to join Ranked and those that just want to play for fun but still want to be rewarded to also join RankedThere is no mechanic that "forces" people into anywhere. Some rewards are pvp exclusive, many are not - players can choose how they acquire them.
  • You lower toxicity because people that don't want to be in ranked wont be in RankedSurely if you don't want to be in ranked - then it's down to you to avoid somehow appearing in ranked matches - e.g don't que for ranked.
I'll be honest, I respect your intention to make PvP a nicer place. However, whenever there is an element of competitive gameplay (especially team based), there will always be "toxicity". Personally I've seen people flamed just as hard in unranked as ranked (though probably not as often).Consider this - by adding "5 pips per win" into unranked, you would be just making it into "Ranked Light" with lower rewards and no ranking - any "toxicity" will continue.  Much of this "toxicity" doesn't come just from losing rank but also from the fact that a loss means far less progress in terms of pips. I would say more than 40% of those in lower tiers don't care about rank but **do** care about finishing the pip/season tracks quickly - if they feel that their team has let them down and therefore slowed that progress - that's why they get angry.  If you think I'm wrong, please show an example of **any** competitive PvP game with win-based rewards and no ranking which does not suffer from **any** toxicity.  A good example for my argument is DOTA2 - a great game, I used to play it a lot but was never interested in ranked competition. Rewards for winning were close to non-existent but I'd say at least half  of losing matches somebody would kick off and have a rant at the team. Being angry/upset isn't always about rank or reward - players just don't like the feeling of being beaten - especially if they think it's not their fault.

I'd rather have more PvP-modes for more fun like Capture the Flag or stuff like that for more diversity in PvP. Some more balance (nerf bunker-nonsense, supporters are meant to support their team; enough with the near instakill stuff) and better matchmaking (PvP-matchmaking needs to adjust to trinity-gameplay; having a good healer in your team is a huge advantage) would also help.

@"psyt.9415" said:One of the best things Arenanet can do to grow the game and increase population in pvp is to allow people to have fun but still be rewarded.

I propose we give the Unranked Queue 5 pips per win as opposed to 10 in Ranked and 1 per top stat. Put all the maps back in rotation on Unranked. Courtyard, that one that used to have the underwater point forget its name etc. etc. and just let people screw around and have fun! I keep seeing Anet devs mentioning the concern for "splitting the population" whenever there is talk of adding game modes or beefing up Unranked. Its actually pretty sad if they don't look at these ideas as a way to "increase" the population. Somethings wrong when they look at it as a stagnant mode to "maintain" rather than to "grow." You lower toxicity because people that don't want to be in ranked wont be in Ranked.

Stagnating Population

• PVP population is stagnating due to balance but there is no true balance in PVP MMOs and they all suffer from imbalance, its something we accept to a degree
  • PVP MMOs enforce a strict adherence to the "meta" which poses an unfriendly barrier to entry, you cant play whatever you want have fun or you face toxicity
  • Most games combat this by having an Unranked queue, unfortunately GW2 is different from other games because it doesn't incentivize Unranked (you get no pips)
  • This forces people that dont really want to be in ranked to join Ranked and those that just want to play for fun but still want to be rewarded to also join Ranked
  • This breeds a toxic game, you cant have fun and still progress in reward pips at the same time

The Benefits

• You grow the population, look at WoW you get some pve folks trying out BGs just for fun and rewards but with out the pressure of being mentally abused in a Rank queue
  • Eventually some folks decide they like Unranked enough they want to step up to 10 pips a win or they want a title or MMR rank so they graduate to Ranked queue, this grows the game and increases the level of competition in Ranked because people will spend more time in unranked before they make the jump
  • You lower toxicity because people that don't want to be in ranked wont be in Ranked
  • You grow the population because people get a more diverse range of maps in the Unranked queue than the pure conquest maps which frankly are stale

You forget that people can still form farming teams for unranked, if you add rewards to that...it's over...every unscropulous guild will be there

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@"psyt.9415" said:One of the best things Arenanet can do to grow the game and increase population in pvp is to allow people to have fun but still be rewarded.

I propose we give the Unranked Queue 5 pips per win as opposed to 10 in Ranked and 1 per top stat
. Put all the maps back in rotation on Unranked. Courtyard, that one that used to have the underwater point forget its name etc. etc. and just let people screw around and have fun! I keep seeing Anet devs mentioning the concern for "splitting the population" whenever there is talk of adding game modes or beefing up Unranked. Its actually pretty sad if they don't look at these ideas as a way to "increase" the population. Somethings wrong when they look at it as a stagnant mode to "maintain" rather than to "grow."
You lower toxicity because people that don't want to be in ranked wont be in Ranked.

Stagnating Population

The Benefits
  • You grow the population
    , look at WoW you get some pve folks trying out BGs just for fun and rewards but with out the pressure of being mentally abused in a Rank queue

You forget that people can still form farming teams for unranked, if you add rewards to that...it's over...every unscropulous guild will be there

A behold, we have guild groups fighting each other again!What a 'terrible' unintended consequence.

100% agree.

I just enjoy unranked more, but the rewards simply aren't worth it compared to Ranked. PvP has been getting a lot better, and players being able to get good rewards while playing with their friends in a chill enviroment would definitly bring in new players.

believe if they added a few maps to the rotation that are 8v8 you would see more players come back as well. Right now there is no medium between WvW and Spvp. Sometimes you want a larger battle but not a full on blob zerg. If we had 8v8 unranked I think you have a happy medium. It would pull in the old GW1 crowd as well if we added GVG 8v8 to the ranked queue on some remastered maps from GW1.

They need to show everyone's MMR on both teams after the match with no names attached. That would get rid of 99% of my anger. Until they can prove it to me by showing me more info I am not going to take there word on how they claim the matchmaking is working. There are too many games where I feel like I am playing exactly the same winning most of my fights yet the score in one of them is 500-300 W and the score in the other is 500-300 L. If I knew the match at least tried to put together people within a fairly tight MMR range I could live with it easier.

They need to just get rid of ranked. There is currently nothing good about it other than the rewards. That and when your rank depends 95% on the players you are paired with, it's not even doing what it's supposed to be doing. I'm in gold and getting paired consistently with players who spawn camp beast. How the hell am I supposed to climb the rankings when I get players on my team that don't even know basic map strategy? Then when you try to explain they aren't doing it right they tell you to get bent and you are the noob.

Please just put a season of gaining pips for unranked and just put ranked away until you can figure out a way of accurately gauging a player's true skill level.

Archived