Opening bags, do you still do it on a lower level?

So I've never done it and have heard it a few times, about opening bags on a level 53. Do people still do it? Is it worth it?

Coming to the point where I want to make a legendary so I would like to maximise the gold I can make from opening bags, I have xp boosters e.t.c. so I'm planning on leaving one of my 10 alts with a xp booster on just to open my bags.

If it's worth it, can anyone tell me exactly which bags to open on a lower level? The PSA's I've read about opening bags have people saying all different things and I'm a bit of a perfectionist so they don't help me at all really.

Is there some kind of foul proof way to opening the bags? Also anything different with the new PoF bags?

• 2 weeks later...

Because the economy is not static, the level with the best loot changes based on the current supply and demand of the various tiers. Unless you want to use 2-3 character slots to cover multiple options, it's best to just pick one and just stick with it (unless the price variation is so large that deleting and releveling makes sense).

@mtpelion.4562 said:Because the economy is not static, the level with the best loot changes based on the current supply and demand of the various tiers. Unless you want to use 2-3 character slots to cover multiple options, it's best to just pick one and just stick with it (unless the price variation is so large that deleting and releveling makes sense).

i should give it a shot.I have all classes and 1 free slot ( mostly for birthday boosters ) which i can use in order to get better drops.

So, is lvl 50 the best range?

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@mtpelion.4562 said:Because the economy is not static, the level with the best loot changes based on the current supply and demand of the various tiers. Unless you want to use 2-3 character slots to cover multiple options, it's best to just pick one and just stick with it (unless the price variation is so large that deleting and releveling makes sense).

i should give it a shot.I have all classes and 1 free slot ( mostly for birthday boosters ) which i can use in order to get better drops.

So, is lvl 50 the best range?

49-53 is the same range, currently the best range is 54-57. Weapons/Heavy armor are slightly worth more 54-57 than 49-53 currently (a few copper), so getting a character to 49-53 is fine.

The PoF unidentified gear is not affected by level but is by magic find, for those I tend to save up the rares and open them when I reach a stack or so on a character boosted up for it. The blues and greens I just open as I get them (more just out of personal laziness, that'd be a bit too much bag management for me lol). Remember that also applies for pvp reward track bags as well (if you do any of that game type as well for rewards).

• 5 months later...

This is recent news to me, and I haven't found much specific info yet. I originally heard about it with regard to Silverwastes bags, but does this apply to everything? If not, what are the exceptions? For example, I read elsewhere that unidentified gear is best opened by a level 80 character. Those aren't bags of course, but it's easy to consider this effect might apply to them as well. In addition, is it best to open the bags on a lower-level character and have that same character salvage the items, or is it best to have a level 80-character salvage items gained from bags opened by a lower-level character.

If you were to apply this approach to all containers, it would get out of hand quickly because of the variety of conainers (coin purses, bags of X gear, see pouches, seed pods, caches, etc. etc.).

For those confused by the last few posts.... this is relation to Champ bags, which ARE aware of the player's level, and drops level appropriate gear. Its currently the only reliable way to target specific level of gear in order to get specific tiers of materials as salvage. Most Material farms and Material Bags (like trader caches in POF) are organized by type, but randomly output different tiers.

So if you want to specifically get Linen or Rugged Leather (T4 mats), material bags are still a gamble. But in the case of champ bags on level mules, you get the majority of your gear in the right level range, but have an equal chance of any given gear type (staff, sword, heavy armor, leather armor, etc). The Champ bag method tends to output less of a specific material you are targeting, but is partially offset by the fact that most materials in a specific tier share similar value scales. However, T6 leather is an odd ball due to its history in crafting changes.

There's an easy rule of thumb: just open everything on your lowbie toon. If it matters, then you'll get the benefit of the higher-value, mid-tier common mats; if it doesn't matter, then, well, it wouldn't matter anyhow, so you might as well just open everything on the same toon.

The sole exception is unidentified gear: you should always sell, unless (a) you have time to open and efficiently process all the gear and (b) time to boost your MF to 650% or more (higher is better). Otherwise, you'll extract more income per time spent from selling it on the TP. (Never salvage any of it regardless.)(While some bags are affected by MF, the number is so small that it is not worth the time spent to worry about it, except the Lunar New Year's envelopes.)

Following up on @"starlinvf.1358" with additional specifics:

Included
  • Champ bags
  • Gear bags, including Gear, Masterwork Gear, Rare Gear, etc
  • Containers from PvP/WvW reward tracks that simulate foe drops — this is the vast major of reward track bags, including the ones from dungeon & HoT/LS3 tracks, and mostly everything but the PoF/LS4 tracks
Not Included
  • Bags that do not drop gear, such as Bags of Skritt Shinies or Ritual Bags or various others mostly with icons resembling a burlap sack.
  • Bags of Unidentified Gear (Blue, Green, or Rare): these are always L80, regardless of who opens.
  • PoF/LS4 Reward Track boxes, including Desert Hunter, Kournan, Awakened Caches; Istani, Highlands, Crystal Oasis Strongboxes; Kournan Coffers (mostly because these drop gear indirectly via UnID containers).

Here you can get an idea of the average profit on savaging equipment of that level.

http://silverwastes.loltools.net/

A lv 49 character will do, its the same as one lv 53 but its safer to get your character to the lower best level because you may never know if this mechanic changes or you accidentaly end somehow leveling up your character, as there is no way to de-level a character.

I was skeptical about it at first, but while leveling up some crafting on alts I realized I had very little T2-T4 mats, and it was so expensive on the TP. Sure I went Iron/Plat ore farming and Seasoned/Hard wood collecting, but then I realized I had a crafter / mule toon at LV 53, and as I do several meta events on a daily basis, I just collected all the bags and sent them to him to open. Never had a problem with Iron, Plat, Seasoned / Hard wood, or Linen since.

Thanks for the useful info!

A followup. How does opening bags on a lower-level character affect the odds of getting gear that's useful to the level 80 charcter? If someone is hoping for that rare ascended gear drop, rather than accumulating gold, would they want to be opening these bags on their level 80? I'm curently focused on accumulating cash, but it occurred to me that this might be a consideration.

I found a wiki page on Champion loot bags , but haven't found an overview of such things as Dragon chests, Wyvern caches, etc.

@"Corax.7692" said:A followup. How does opening bags on a lower-level character affect the odds of getting gear that's useful to the level 80 charcter? If someone is hoping for that rare ascended gear drop, rather than accumulating gold, would they want to be opening these bags on their level 80? I'm curently focused on accumulating cash, but it occurred to me that this might be a consideration.

These are things that drop for L80, but won't drop for lowbie "bag opener":

• Bloodstone Dust
  • Random Exotics, including precusors
  • Ascended gear

These are the things that still would drop:

• Named Exotics specific to the bag.
  • Fine/Rare mats (e.g. vials of blood)
  • Gemstones (e.g. crystals or orbs)

Note that the chances are so low of getting exotics that you'd have to open something like 50000 champ bags before you'd lose out on enough of such drops that it would affect your overall income. For the numbers that even Silverwastes/Istani farmers deal with, it's just not a significant number.

I found a wiki page on Champion loot bags , but haven't found an overview of such things as Dragon chests, Wyvern caches, etc.

The names aren't particularly meaningful. "Champ bag" is the name the community gave to the guaranteed drop that ANet added for all foes of champion level, as part of one of one of their reward-improvement updates. Since then, ANet has included the same exact bags (plus other similarly-named ones) to ground-chests, event-chests, bouncy chests, and other rewards. Thus the term "champ bag" is both a misnomer and harder-to-define than original.

However, again, use the same rule of thumb:just open everything on a lower-level toon: for level-adjusted loot, you'll get the gear with more valuable salvage materials. And for other bags, you'll get the same loot as you would anyhow, e.g. UnID gear bags.

I know there's a lot of people who still open bags at lower levels but I'm not sure if it's that profitable?? I don't do it myself, I have glyphs of the tailor and leatherworker so I get my lower tier mats just by gathering in lower maps. It's defenitely a good investment to get those 2 glyphs on infinite gather tools!

• 6 months later...

Treasure Chest and Salvage Levels

Mithril = 54+Platinum Ore = 49 - 62Iron Ore = 19 - 53

Linin Scrap = 44 - 63Cotton Scrap = 31-50Wool Scrap = 16-35

Rugged Leather Section = 46-63Coarse Leather Section = 31-50Thin Leather Section = 16-35

Hard Wood Log = 43-63Seasoned Wood Log = 31-48Soft Wood Log = 16-35

Sweet Spots = 36 and 53

@Pamy Laveux.1580 said:Treasure Chest and Salvage Levels

Mithril = 54+Platinum Ore = 49 - 62Iron Ore = 19 - 53

Linin Scrap = 44 - 63Cotton Scrap = 31-50Wool Scrap = 16-35

Rugged Leather Section = 46-63Coarse Leather Section = 31-50Thin Leather Section = 16-35

Hard Wood Log = 43-63Seasoned Wood Log = 31-48Soft Wood Log = 16-35

Sweet Spots = 36 and 53

dont you mean 35 since none of the materials start or stop at 36

It's nice if you like feeling self-sufficient about crafting materials, but there's nothing wrong with having to buy lower tier materials off of the market. You can save a few coins, here and there, by posting up buy orders instead of buying them directly. New people who are late coming into the game are going to see that their materials are selling very rapidly. Otherwise they think no one's here to even buy them, so they probably aren't needed...

Also I suppose you could just inadvertently sell the materials you collected on the market, too :)

• 1 month later...

@"Rukario.1695" said:It's mainly a means for profit in large quantities. If you have an available alt character in the level range or a Instant Level 50 scroll from a past birthday, it's worth using this method.

https://silverwastes.loltools.net/As April 2019 rolls into May, an average champ bag opened by an L80 is worth around 2.07s, while an L53 toon would be generating 4.13s (nearly double), which amounts to an extra 5 gold per stack of champ bags.