One week without elites would completely change the face of the leaderboard

Make no mistakes about it : HoT/Pof elites are Pay to win , you may decide to keep living in denial or embrace the truth that many players are not that good to sit in gold...let alone platinum and above. All I would need is one week without access to elites to completely rewrite the leaderboard to what it should really be...one week to show the potential of PvP in this game...one week to restore PvP in this game to its former glory.

@Arheundel.6451 said:Make no mistakes about it : HoT/Pof elites are Pay to win , you may decide to keep living in denial or embrace the truth that many players are not that good to sit in gold...let alone platinum and above. All I would need is one week without access to elites to completely rewrite the leaderboard to what it should really be...one week to show the potential of PvP in this game...one week to restore PvP in this game to its former glory.

Sure, let's go back to before HoT when you still had to buy the base game.

@Crius.5487 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:Make no mistakes about it :
HoT/Pof elites are Pay to win
, you may decide to keep living in denial or embrace the truth that many players are not that good to sit in gold...let alone platinum and above. All I would need is one week without access to elites to completely rewrite the leaderboard to what it should really be...one week to show the potential of PvP in this game...one week to restore PvP in this game to its former glory.

Sure, let's go back to before HoT when you still had to buy the base game.

Fair point. He got you there.

@Arheundel.6451 said:Make no mistakes about it : HoT/Pof elites are Pay to win , you may decide to keep living in denial or embrace the truth that many players are not that good to sit in gold...let alone platinum and above. All I would need is one week without access to elites to completely rewrite the leaderboard to what it should really be...one week to show the potential of PvP in this game...one week to restore PvP in this game to its former glory.

1. Pre-HoT GW2 PvP was nothing. There was no there, there. Barely anyone played, far less than the current numbers of at the height of population which was Season 5. There's no former glory to return to.

2. I do genuinely agree that in SPvP only the elite specs should be freely available. One of the things that is cool about GW2's PvP is the removal of gear and stat based advantages. No one is going to show up in a match with the fucking Warglaives of Azzinoth and there's nothing you can do about how much more damage they're able to bring to the fight. It's all about how well built your character and build are which you have free control over. I really can't imagine the number of sales they'd lose out on would be that drastic for sPvP only.

Still aside from a lot of Chronomancers getting carried by the build most SPvPers would be exactly where they are now on the leaderboard give or take a little time to relearn a build. There's an obvious difference in capability between high rated and low rated players and you can feel this just in how they move around. People in Legendary and Plat 3 would continue to be there regardless of what the meta looked like.

@mortrialus.3062 People in Legendary and Plat 3 would continue to be there regardless of what the meta looked like.People get to legendary and plat 3 BECAUSE they play meta specs. yes while some do play other specs once they get there and maintain their positions, they still played those specs to carry them in the first place and still need to play them to maintain that position. Find me a legend player or plat 3 player who mains scrapper for example, reaper, revenant just to name a few. Again, that doesn't mean players who are that high ranking cant play them in ranked and do well, it means that if they played only those classes, they would inevitably lower their rank by a noticeable amount given enough games played from their current standings with the meta specs.

@Jalal.6783 said:@mortrialus.3062 People in Legendary and Plat 3 would continue to be there regardless of what the meta looked like.People get to legendary and plat 3 BECAUSE they play meta specs. yes while some do play other specs once they get there and maintain their positions, they still played those specs to carry them in the first place and still need to play them to maintain that position. Find me a legend player or plat 3 player who mains scrapper for example, reaper, revenant just to name a few. Again, that doesn't mean players who are that high ranking cant play them in ranked and do well, it means that if they played only those classes, they would inevitably lower their rank by a noticeable amount given enough games played from their current standings with the meta specs.

Rank five on eu has been playing nothing but rev, myself and another core guard in top 10 has been playing only core guard.

@Jalal.6783 said:@mortrialus.3062 People in Legendary and Plat 3 would continue to be there regardless of what the meta looked like.People get to legendary and plat 3 BECAUSE they play meta specs. yes while some do play other specs once they get there and maintain their positions, they still played those specs to carry them in the first place and still need to play them to maintain that position. Find me a legend player or plat 3 player who mains scrapper for example, reaper, revenant just to name a few. Again, that doesn't mean players who are that high ranking cant play them in ranked and do well, it means that if they played only those classes, they would inevitably lower their rank by a noticeable amount given enough games played from their current standings with the meta specs.

WoodenPotatoes is currently plat 3 maining reaper with a little bit of Power Herald off the top of my head. Dunno about scrapper and revenant because I'm generally not good with remembering account names but I'm certain there's some.

But here's the thing. If you nuked the current meta, there would end up being a new meta. And the best players are going to zero in on the most effective tactic available and be highly rated. A lot of the best player have continued to be the best players as the meta shifts.

Bunkerchrono is currently the biggest exception because it's so braindead easy and it's really hard to just fuck up your job on that build.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

WoodenPotatoes is currently plat 3 maining reaper with a little bit of Power Herald off the top of my head. Dunno about scrapper and revenant because I'm generally not good with remembering account names but I'm certain there's some.

But here's the thing. If you nuked the current meta, there would end up being a new meta. And the best players are going to zero in on the most effective tactic available and be highly rated. A lot of the best player have continued to be the best players as the meta shifts.

Bunkerchrono is currently the biggest exception because it's so braindead easy and it's really hard to just kitten up your job on that build.

Agree. However, many will agree that scourge + mesmer meta is nowhere near the hambow or spirit ranger meta. There are matchs where you're forced to play sides, and end up winning 500-450 against people who didn't do anything..

@mortrialus.3062 said:

, you may decide to keep living in denial or embrace the truth that many players are not that good to sit in gold...let alone platinum and above. All I would need is one week without access to elites to completely rewrite the leaderboard to what it should really be...one week to show the potential of PvP in this game...one week to restore PvP in this game to its former glory.
  1. Pre-HoT GW2 PvP was nothing. There was no there, there. Barely anyone played, far less than the current numbers of at the height of population which was Season 5. There's no former glory to return to.

???? Barely anyone played before HoT????Wtf are you talking about? HoT was released in 23th Oct 2015. Before that in 2013/2014 There were like 10 consistent different ESL teams who participated in tournaments, a LOT OF players who used to play ESL 2v2 weekly, ESL 5v5 weekly and Go4-cups and hundreds of people who aimed for competitive pvp and ESL, forming new teams ect. The population of amateur teams alone who used to play on monday AGs was higher than the popuation of all the wannabe tryhard AT-teams who are 10 times worse than every single AG-Team back then.Even Season 5 was a joke compared to soloq in 2013/2014 because half of all the good players had already left the game.

@"Arheundel.6451" said:
  1. I do genuinely agree that in SPvP only the elite specs should be freely available. One of the things that is cool about GW2's PvP is the removal of gear and stat based advantages. No one is going to show up in a match with the kitten Warglaives of Azzinoth and there's nothing you can do about how much more damage they're able to bring to the fight. It's all about how well built your character and build are which you have free control over. I really can't imagine the number of sales they'd lose out on would be that drastic for sPvP only.

bad point, f2p is a permanent trial mode, they have to not be allowed in any of the "competitive" formats: ranked ATs

I don't fully agree that HoT/PoF elites are pay to win. There are some that are viable sidegrades, like Daredevil, Druid etc. Sure, Scourge is meta and you might mention that as pay to win, but it's not that bad, especially now.

As for the no elite week, then I'd be more than happy to participate in it. As someone who's been a core power engineer for 5 years, I'm gonna have so much fun dominating core engineers since they're so used to playing Holosmith. Either that or give players the option to fight against core players so that we're all on an equal playing field.

@Poelala.2830 said:

@"Coolguy.8702" said:I call BS, thieves guards rangers warriors and eles all have viable f2p builds for pvp. Its just that you’re too cheap to pay $20 to help support the devs

Ele has no viable ftp build

Yeah I'm not really sure that's 100% true, its just still massively underground.

When PoF hit, obviously Scourge and Spellbreaker were monstrous, but yet Fresh Air core Ele was able to carry hard when played right, it kind of exploited how kite-able the Scourge and Spellbreakers were at the time.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJArdhcMokhdOwnB8RM0AYSFIA8BrC5VIKQHhiwPA-jJRHABZXGQgTAwP7PAwDAAAA

This is Phanta's PoF launch build, which he had the most success on in ranked queue, even more so than Sage's/Avatar Sword Weaver. Now we have more thieves around, I'd say it's... less useful. But when you're versus no thieves, specifically Condi or power S/D, I'm sure it's viable at the least.

@dominik.9721 said:

???? Barely anyone played before HoT????kitten are you talking about? HoT was released in 23th Oct 2015. Before that in 2013/2014 There were like 10 consistent different ESL teams who participated in tournaments, a LOT OF players who used to play ESL 2v2 weekly, ESL 5v5 weekly and Go4-cups and hundreds of people who aimed for competitive pvp and ESL, forming new teams ect. The population of amateur teams alone who used to play on monday AGs was higher than the popuation of all the wannabe tryhard AT-teams who are 10 times worse than every single AG-Team back then.Even Season 5 was a joke compared to soloq in 2013/2014 because half of all the good players had already left the game.

A few ESL people were sniffing around the game but among the general player base? Yeah dead.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@"Arheundel.6451" said:Make no mistakes about it :

???? Barely anyone played before HoT????kitten are you talking about? HoT was released in 23th Oct 2015. Before that in 2013/2014 There were like 10 consistent different ESL teams who participated in tournaments, a LOT OF players who used to play ESL 2v2 weekly, ESL 5v5 weekly and Go4-cups and hundreds of people who aimed for competitive pvp and ESL, forming new teams ect. The population of amateur teams alone who used to play on monday AGs was higher than the popuation of all the wannabe tryhard AT-teams who are 10 times worse than every single AG-Team back then.Even Season 5 was a joke compared to soloq in 2013/2014 because half of all the good players had already left the game.

A few ESL people were sniffing around the game but among the general player base? Yeah dead.

Did you even read what I've written?Normal playerbase in 2013/2014 was like twice as high as it is now and the "normal" playerbase aimed for competitve tournament play.

@dominik.9721 said:

Did you even read what I've written?Normal playerbase in 2013/2014 was like twice as high as it is now and the "normal" playerbase aimed for competitve tournament play.

Objectively not true according to statements by Arenanet. According to their stats, season 5 had the highest population playing SPvP.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

Objectively not true according to statements by Arenanet. According to their stats, season 5 had the highest population playing SPvP.

Their stats iirc were relative to the seasons before leaderboards.

Archived