Ranger Pet Skins

I'd be fine with just a few on rare occasion, but I worry it would be milked too much. Additionally, I would be concerned if these skins ever became any more than skins like the juvenile black/pink moa. I imagine a tiny animation difference could provide an advantage. Just look to gathering tools to see the difference this can make.

It would be a nice addition, I could see Necromancer Minion and Ranger Pet skin themes.

The Asura Necromancer could Frankenstein/cyborgish type minion skins, while the Asura Ranger could have bionic pet skins. Point is, there are a lot of theme ideas that could also fit in with already GW2 established themes that mounts/gliders/outfits currently provide.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:I'd like to answer this, but I feel I'm so Ranger-focused I might not have a truly logical reaction to the question. :)

That's why my vote is listed under "other'. I'm very biased when it comes to Rangers. The poll is just based on a thought recently while playing. Though I'd probably be happy if you guys were able to even just add a dye system, but I'm not really sure where in the interface it would need to be. The Pet panel seems logical, but I'm guessing that on the code side it's not the same animal as the hero panel.

Would probably be a cool thing, but I'm 100% sure that it won't happen. Mainly, because this Gemstore item would only be of use to Rangers and no-one else. This means that it would be an investment for a relatively smaller part of the community. Those who are willing to spend gems and the sub-group in that those who are also playing Rangers. So yeah, no way it will happen.From a balance point of view, sometimes it's already hard to see pets in all the visual effect when in any type of PvP. Giving them new looks would just make it even harder for someone new.

I like the idea and I'd probably buy some, depending on how they look. But I agree that there would need to be an option to use the default skins in PvP and WvW. There's already several pets which look similar but have important differences in their abilities. It would be even more confusing if each one could have 2 or 3 different models.

Somethign I am suggestign already for a long time in form of SKILL SKINS... this would at least enable already the ability to change Minions how they look.

SKILL Skins should naturally be deactivatable for every player in the options menu, so that if you want it, that you will see everywhere in the game still the normal skins.But Skill Skins woudl be a great way for players to incdrease their individuality and make yourseld look more unique and different, than other players.

Ncromancers with their Minins and Elementalists with their Elementals would be such great options for Skill Skins to change the look of these created minions and elementals.But also other classes with certain skilsl woudl come into question. .guardians and their spiritual weapons, rangers and their nature spirits/pets, thieves and their called thieves, for exampel to maske them look rather like shadow doppelgangers of you ... and os on.. theres much unused potential in SKILL SKINS.

If you mean pet skins like we have mount skins, that would be pointless. We have different versions of pets that we can charm. It's basically a different skin and some different pet skills. Various spiders, wolves, bears, lizards, and even a couple wyverns, for example.

If you're talking about selling new ranger pets in the gem shop that rangers don't already have a variation of, I'd be cool with that.

For example, I would pay gems for a Hound of Balthazar ranger pet. We had 1 available in GW1, but in GW2 it only exists as a human racial elite skill where it summons a couple hounds for 30 seconds or until dead.

Another example would be a Jahai Rat or Albino Rat that we had in GW1. In GW2 rangers don't have any giant rat pets at all. And I'm sure there's at least a few other GW1 ranger pets we don't have in GW2.

The only way for a ranger pet skin system to work would be a complete overhaul of the system first. They would have to reduce it to 1 type of each animal, where we can choose which skin we want. For example: instead of having 4 or 5 different bears we'd only have 1 bear, but be able to choose which bear skin to use. Either the pet skills/attacks would be tied to the skin, or we would need to not only be able to choose the skin, but which F2 skill for that animal type we want to use. And it could be an issue with pet swap. As it is, you can't equip a juvenile brown bear in both slots, but can equip 2 different bears.

They would have to do an overhaul of the ranger pet system before they can even begin to sell "pet skins". The only way for it to work as is would be to sell completely new pets.

The thing is though, new ranger pets have always been free. HoT and PoF gave us new pets to charm at no extra charge. You only need to own the appropriate expansion to gain access to the pets.

To be honest........what I'd rather they did was bring back the Zaishen Menagerie. It could be a gem shop purchase. We go there and have pets we've charmed added to the menagerie so we can charm them on other ranger characters. Then they can sell new ranger pets in the gem shop that are added to the menagerie so they're account unlocks. Of course, it would have to be restricted where you can't take other players in a party with you to charm pets you have unlocked (to avoid players gaining access to pets they didn't buy, or aren't available to them since they didn't buy an expansion).

I only have 1 ranger character, but I'm assuming ranger pets aren't account unlocks and if I were to create a second ranger I'd have to go all over the game to re-charm the animals all over again. A menagerie would make things easier (and make a few bucks for ArenaNet ;) ).

A tentative maybe for me. I like the idea, but I have so many pets it would probably bankrupt me to buy any. I'm also not too crazy about the mount skins I've seen-- which also seem expensive to me on top of it all. That said, the right skin for my favorite pets priced just right might get me to change my opinion.

Another fun upgrade might be the ability to purchase an unlock to dye your pets. I'd be all over that in a second.

Edit: ...and I just said that because I didn't see this:

@Neural.1824 said:

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:I'd like to answer this, but I feel I'm so Ranger-focused I might not have a truly logical reaction to the question. :)

That's why my vote is listed under "other'. I'm very biased when it comes to Rangers. The poll is just based on a thought recently while playing. Though I'd probably be happy if you guys were able to even just add a dye system, but I'm not really sure where in the interface it would need to be. The Pet panel seems logical, but I'm guessing that on the code side it's not the same animal as the hero panel.

Sorry!

(Others) then.If that mean another feature to pay for... I'm out, I have enough since some things should be free and not buyable. I'm speaking about transmutations a few free mount/glider skins, living season maps/stories, that's my opinion, I agree with the concept of gemstore but he has gone too far. The most aberant example is mount dye channel, you should be able to use the four dye slots without buying a skin on the gemstore.And rangers pets or why not engie turrets skins should be free. I regret to say this but, if all features in the future are hidden behind a gem paywall, I would rather prefer to pay a monthly fee.

I'm happy for peoples who like this idea and spending gems, but i'm not in it.

Rather than having each pet as a separate skin-skill combination, all pets of the same type should be actually just 1 entry in the list of pets. Then you would select the pet type, its skill and its skin.The same skin and skill would not be usable in both slots, though.For the Soulbeast bonuses, the selected skill would be used to determine which one you get, instead the pet skin.So enemies can still see which skill they have, it will appear as an effect in their effect monitor.

Each skin and skill would be unlocked whenever the corresponding pet is charmed.

So, for instance, you could charm a Krytan drakehound to unlock the drakehound skin and Intimidating Howl skill, and a black wolf to unlock the black wolf skin and the Terrifying Howl skills, then you could be able to equip two Canine pets, and give one of them the drakehound skin and the black wolf skill, and the other one the black wolf skin and the drakehound skill.

Once it works like that, all existing skins would be usable, and new ones could be made available in the gemstore.

@"hugo.4705" said:(Others) then.If that mean another feature to pay for... I'm out, I have enough since some things should be free and not buyable. I'm speaking about transmutations a few free mount/glider skins, living season maps/stories, that's my opinion, I agree with the concept of gemstore but he has gone too far. The most aberant example is mount dye channel, you should be able to use the four dye slots without buying a skin on the gemstore.And rangers pets or why not engie turrets skins should be free. I regret to say this but, if all features in the future are hidden behind a gem paywall, I would rather prefer to pay a monthly fee.

I'm happy for peoples who like this idea and spending gems, but i'm not in it.

I don't really see why any of that "should" be free (except the Seasons). They are all cosmetics. And you are forgetting part where you can actually buy gems with Gold. And if you don't mind farming, then it's relatively cheap too. I bought both Seasons with Gold that way as well as several other items.Additionally Transmutation is available without Gem. Just go play some PvP and you will have more charges than you will ever need.

1~ I don't do pvp, I have enough charges, what I said is you should change your look like you want without consumming anything.2~ Yup they are cosmetics, but as exemple, pof with only 1 basic skin/mount is very light for me, the only reason I bought it was for the Living story I guess.3~ gems was cheap 5 years ago, a time where I could got 800 gems for 50 golds. I feel like I ruin myself now, I recently bought the shrine jackal, I regret it, it don't worth 2000, maybe 1200.

They are no reasons to force people to pay if they simply want to look different than others. In every aspect of it. Everyone have his/her own opinion on this subject I think.

Archived