Suggestion: Allow us to use gliders and mounts in our home instances

Personally, I don't see the point. There is no distance big enough to justify that. Already in explorable, I don't re-mount if the distance between two nodes is small, and I can regularly witness how faster I am running than a player who re-mount and re-dismount on same nodes than me. I arrive first. All in all, I have nothing against it, but if it comes, I will not use it.

@"Solvar.7953" said:I'd like this. It seems fairly low risk - there isn't really anything in the home instance that I would imagine this breaks. Even if there is some remote possibility of breaking out of the map, that sometimes happens on other maps also.

Breaking "out" I'm not sure about, but it's quite feasible to break "in" to the Salma District terrain on a glider. It's very strange, because all the buildings and stuff are there, but there are no story NPCs, no quaggans blocking the Oyster node, and no nodes for them to block either.

(Um. Sorry. It was easy. I haven't tried recently to see if it has been fixed.)

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Solvar.7953" said:I'd like this. It seems fairly low risk - there isn't really anything in the home instance that I would imagine this breaks. Even if there is some remote possibility of breaking out of the map, that sometimes happens on other maps also.

Breaking "out" I'm not sure about, but it's quite feasible to break "in" to the Salma District terrain on a glider. It's very strange, because all the buildings and stuff are there, but there are no story NPCs, no quaggans blocking the Oyster node, and no nodes for them to block either.

(Um. Sorry. It
was
easy. I haven't tried recently to see if it has been fixed.)

Last I checked, Springer can simply jump over the fence NW of the portal.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

(Um. Sorry. It
was

OK, that answers that question. Does that get you to the noble street where the basic copper/silver/gold nodes are?

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

(Um. Sorry. It
was

OK, that answers that question. Does that get you to the noble street where the basic copper/silver/gold nodes are?

Exactly! (Of course, no nodes or vendors available)

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

(Um. Sorry. It
was

Last I checked, Springer can simply jump over the fence NW of the portal.You can springer-jump into the charr home instance as well, and I would imagine the grove one should work, too.

As for what it could break, the home instance is not only the place for daily gathering, but also for several of the race story missions. I'm not sure what would happen with those if you could use your mounts and gliders in there. Plus ANet has mentioned before that they try to prevent any breaking out of maps since there's a potential for messing up your character's location data to the point where it's unsaveable.

off topic a bit but for all those that are commenting simply about breaking into home instances

Charr: Springer/Griffon can quite easily get you in hereHuman: simply glide or use any mount to go over any wallNorn: Springer here is a bit harder as you have to make two jumps from just a bit past the toothAsura: Griffon is about the only way I know to reliably get to this place as it's in the far NW side of the mapSylvari: don't even need mounts there is this little fence balcony/Terrance above some water and to the side of it is a bit of grass you can jump from onto this balcony/Terrance

Alternatively, if you have time I uploaded a video just over 2 minutes showing how I do it

It's a technical limitation related to the stuff that supports it being an instance, so it is highly unlikely that it will become possible: big investment of effort, big risk of new bugs, fairly small payoff.

You can use mounts and/or gliders in other instances (including the story instances in HoT and PoF) so I very much doubt it's a huge investment in effort, more likely it's setting some gliders_allowed and mounts_allowed flags to true somewhere.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@"wrathmagik.3518" said:Thoughts?

It's a technical limitation related to the stuff that supports it being an instance, so it is highly unlikely that it will become possible: big investment of effort, big risk of new bugs, fairly small payoff.

You can use mounts and/or gliders in other instances (including the story instances in HoT and PoF) so I very much doubt it's a huge investment in effort, more likely it's setting some gliders_allowed and mounts_allowed flags to true somewhere.

IIRC you can use "current and older" stuff in instances - core story instances allow neither gliding nor mounts; HoT instances allow gliding but not mounts; and PoF instances allow both. Home instance is a Core Story instance, even when no story is taking place in it.

Archived