Is Petey a reference to Red Dwarf? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Is Petey a reference to Red Dwarf?

As soon as the Asura mentioned his name as Petey I giggled as the first thing that came to mind was Pete the bird in Red dwarf that gets de-evolutioned into a T-rex. Just wondered if it was a reference to that.

Comments

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

You could ask in the current AFC; the Devs might answer.

Good luck.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

Unlikely to be honest given red dwarf isn't big in the US and there isn't much of a link in this case. I agree tho, ask in the AFC.

I do find myself riding through Elona going "everybody's dead" though...

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Tails.9372Tails.9372 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's supposed to be a reference to Tom Petty iirc.

• RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Tails.9372 said:

Really? Did they say that in the reddit AMA or something?

Oh look. I have a signature now.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

@Tails.9372 said:

It's somewhere in here:

• Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2018

@Tails.9372 said:

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

@Tails.9372 said:

It's somewhere in here:

~super long video~

Can you be more specific? Point out a time reference? An hour is far too long to sit through for a reference.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn | Zeena

Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

Around 48:00. And they don't say he's named for Tom Petty; they say he's the "fifth Beatle."

edited July 4, 2018

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:
    they don't say he's named for Tom Petty; they say he's the "fifth Beatle."

"I remember why we named Petty Petty, because he's the fifth Beatle."

Now how many Petty's could this have been referring to?

edited July 4, 2018

@Tails.9372 said:

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:
    they don't say he's named for Tom Petty; they say he's the "fifth Beatle."

"I remember why we named Petty Petty, because he's the fifth Beatle."

Now how many Petty's could this have been referring to?

Tom Petty wasn't in the Beatles. Also, the roller beetle's name is Petey, not Petty. It's probably a pun because "Beatle"/"Beetle" and (maybe) a reference to Pete Best, the Beatles' original drummer.

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

has to be a Pete Best reference then.

• Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ashen.2907 said:
    has to be a Pete Best reference then.

That's what I was thinking.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn | Zeena

Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

• From this Reddit post by U/Cyberskunk:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/8udujj/on_beetles_and_naming/

On beetles and naming....[Lore]spoiler
    "Gorrik: Do it fast. Those scarabs were first generation, but Pestilentix termitroxus has a very quick reproductive cycle."

Pestilentix Termitroxus

P.T.

Petey.

(Credit to Sayerra for pointing this out on discord and making half the guild angry.)

@Finngarad.9746 said:
    From this Reddit post by U/Cyberskunk:

"Gorrik: Do it fast. Those scarabs were first generation, but Pestilentix termitroxus has a very quick reproductive cycle."

Pestilentix Termitroxus

P.T.

Petey.

(Credit to Sayerra for pointing this out on discord and making half the guild angry.)

Now that definitely makes sense. Thanks for that!

• Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2018

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

@Finngarad.9746 said:
    From this Reddit post by U/Cyberskunk:

Pestilentix Termitroxus

P.T.

Petey.

Now that definitely makes sense. Thanks for that!

It does make sense, BUT, we don't know if Anet started with the Beetles name being Petey, named for whoever, or the Entomological term for the Scarab Plague, Pestilentix Termitroxus. One would mean they named the beetle for someone and created the Scientific term around it, or it could be the other way around. ^^
    Chicken meet egg. We don't know until a Dev confirms it, so could this be posted in the AFC? X)

Better get a wriggle on.

• Klowdy.3126Klowdy.3126 Member ✭✭✭

I'm just confused why someone thought a bird that turned into a dino was referencing a beetle.

• artemis.6781artemis.6781 Member ✭✭✭

I'd go with Pete the magic dragon!

• Ashabhi.1365Ashabhi.1365 Member ✭✭✭

@Klowdy.3126 said:
    I'm just confused why someone thought a bird that turned into a dino was referencing a beetle.

It's not that the bird was referencing a beetle, it was that the beetle's name was an Easter egg about the comedy scifi series "Red Dwarf" (which although it wasn't a US creation, I loved it! Thank you UK!)

I am with the above posters, though, in that I think it's more of a Pete Best reference, a la "5th Beatle (Beetle)"

Cheers for that, ANet!

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2018

It's still a reference to Pete Best, aka the 5th Beatle, as Peter Fries stated; they just used these lines to get there to make it fit in game more:
    Pestilentix Termitroxus

P.T.

Petey.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• Since Pete(y) was the Sparrow/T-Rex in Red Dwarf S8, wouldn't it make more sense for it to have been aimed at a raptor, rather than a beetle?
    So, no, I honestly don't see a refference, and not many yanks have seen some of our classic comedies anyway.

@Ashabhi.1365 said:

@Klowdy.3126 said:

It's not that the bird was referencing a beetle, it was that the beetle's name was an Easter egg about the comedy scifi series "Red Dwarf" (which although it wasn't a US creation, I loved it! Thank you UK!)

I am with the above posters, though, in that I think it's more of a Pete Best reference, a la "5th Beatle (Beetle)"

Cheers for that, ANet!

The OP says the first thing he thought about was a bird named Pete, that was turned into a dinosaur. I'm confused why this would be a reference to this mount. I'm not seeing any connection at all. I understand the whole Beatles thing, I'm just wondering why the OP was even a thought at all.

• Manasa Devi.7958Manasa Devi.7958 Member ✭✭✭

I thought it was a reference to P T Barnum, who was once caricatured as a bug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._T._Barnum#/media/File:Barnum_Humbug.jpg

• @Klowdy.3126 said:

@Ashabhi.1365 said:

@Klowdy.3126 said:

Cheers for that, ANet!

The OP says the first thing he thought about was a bird named Pete, that was turned into a dinosaur. I'm confused why this would be a reference to this mount. I'm not seeing any connection at all. I understand the whole Beatles thing, I'm just wondering why the OP was even a thought at all.

Because the guy had a PET named PETEY that's why

@slayerking.3581 said:

@Klowdy.3126 said:

@Ashabhi.1365 said:

@Klowdy.3126 said:

Cheers for that, ANet!

Because the guy had a PET named PETEY that's why

Oh lol, that's a bit of a far reach. The first thing I thought of was American Pie where Jim was pretending to be a "special" band geek named Petey, but I didn't assume it was a reference to that.

• thehipone.6812thehipone.6812 Member ✭✭✭

@Ashabhi.1365 said:

@Klowdy.3126 said:

Cheers for that, ANet!
    @RoseofGilead.8907 said:
    Around 48:00. And they don't say he's named for Tom Petty; they say he's the "fifth Beatle."

Did they confirm that it is named after Pete Best? YES!, I KNEW IT. https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/8udujj/on_beetles_and_naming/e1frqob/

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.