Anet; what is your goal for elementalist?

Chasind.3128

Just legitimately wondering, what is anets vision for the elementalist class for all play modes.

What do you expect from the elementalist in PvP? Are they only meant for 1v1 or team fights? Both?What is your vision for elementalists in WvW? With the upcoming nerf to their only long ranged weapon, what do you hope for the elementalist? What will their role turn to?How about elementalists in PvE & Raids?

What do you guys think about elementalist in its current state and soon to be future state?Please share your thoughts/ suggestions and opinions!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If meteor is needed by 60% staff weaver/ele will be pointless

Other classes will do more damage safer...it’ll become a glass cannon without the cannon

The recent nerfs hit ele pretty hard from what I’ve seen but they were able to stay relevant with the bugged meteor, without it there’s not enough damage to justify the low health pool

I do think they need to fix meteor, it’s ruining wvw right now...but they really need to undo these nerfs when they do it

They're trying to reduce it to it's pitiful state before the Celestial meta in 2015.They won't read this because they don't want to own up to their bad decision by nerfing their only long range dmg.60% IS WAY OVERDONE. They said it's not performing as intended so they're putting it to it's intended dmg- when those are false words for hiding a nerf.They do not want Ele to have a place in any game modes. WvW commanders are using them with their "bug" atm but ele will be no more in DPS groups- and I pray they aren't forced into a healing corner again when FB and Scrapper heal better than ele atm.This is a bad decision on Anet's part and they know it but have no clue how to fix it.People cry for nerfs on ele because they don't play ele and are too stupid to avoid their meteor and then cry because they can't figure out how to sustain or dodge.Ele will be pure glass after this with no damage. Anet's "wise" decision. They need to buff their other weapons in this case with dmg and shorter CD.

I mean, Ele is undoubtedly the worst class in PvP now so I'd be curious to hear it too. If I were to rank all the specs from 1-27, 25, 26, and 27 would be Weaver, Tempest and Core Ele respectively. Maybe Core Rev would vie for worst position somewhere down there, but I'm inclined to give it spot 24 and call it good.

Literally everything in the game (except for maybe Revenant) can kite you at this point. Ele hasn't been this unpleasant to play since I started the game so I've just stopped playing it in PvP entirely until it gets some major buffs.

Actual buffs at that, not whatever Anet thinks they're doing when the bug "fix"/nerf 3 of its main traits and skills.

Both Meteor Shower (before the scaling) and Lava Font were fine to begin with. This is just classic GW2's ANet - messing with skills that were fine in the first place.The whole profession needs a rework, scrap some damage modifiers, scrap the dependancy on Water, up the base damage and so on. Until then no nerfs/buffs will fix anything.

@Chasind.3128 said:What do you guys think about elementalist in its current state and soon to be future state?Please share your thoughts/ suggestions and opinions!

I think that the elementalists' current state is still good even for core fresh air elementalist. I play core professions for the most part and I still managed to reach platinum 1 this season as a core elementalist. It's not an easy profession to play especially core elementalist, but it's certainly one that is satisfying when played right.

Unfortunately, ArenaNet doesn't seem to like the elementalist a lot. A few balance patches ago core elementalist got nerfed, not so much that they made the profession unviable, but rather not as strong as it used to be. It's definitely a profession that is located at the bottom of their favorite professions list, mesmer being at the top.

I think it's clear Anet is trying to balance the game around raids which is the worst possible thing to do since that game mode sees the least amount player activity. Meteor and lava font were never a problem in general PvE, PvP, or WvW, but apparently it was in raids against large hit boxes? The solution, wreck both skills making the ele nothing more than a water-bot in competitive play.

Ele isn't the only victim, all classes got hit except mesmer and warrior (and for whatever reason, warrior continually gets buffed when in actuality it should get gutted).

At this point Anet is better of off just reverting all these "changes" back to their original state when PoF was launched, THEN just remove raids from Gw2 completely.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@Chasind.3128 said:What do you guys think about elementalist in its current state and soon to be future state?Please share your thoughts/ suggestions and opinions!

I think that the elementalists' current state is still good even for core fresh air elementalist. I play core professions for the most part and I still managed to reach platinum 1 this season as a core elementalist. It's not an easy profession to play especially core elementalist, but it's certainly one that is satisfying when played right.

Unfortunately, ArenaNet doesn't seem to like the elementalist a lot. A few balance patches ago core elementalist got nerfed, not so much that they made the profession unviable, but rather not as strong as it used to be. It's definitely a profession that is located at the bottom of their favorite professions list, mesmer being at the top.

You're forgetting that player quality below platinum (or in general) is a joke and that people got to platinum on random builds. It doesn't mean that class/build that got you to platinum is good. It's same like saying power core necro is good in pve since it can do world bosses with no problems..

LAva font has no difference on little or huge hitbox ... it tikes one time per second no matter the target size ... so i don't get why they had to reduce that ... they just picked the skills that deals the most dmg on dps meter and nerfed it .In the order:

• Meteor Shower
  • Lava font
  • Glyph of storm (air)
  • Lightning hammer skill 4
  • Icebow skill 4

Easy to understand the nerf mechanics here ! Instead of putting effort into revamping old and cheesy mechanics (such as MS and conjures) they just toned down numbers. Easier and takes less effort and time. Maybe they are low on budget.

It seems like they don't envision ele being used in pvp at all. In wvw, it's meant to just stick with the blob. In pve, it's meant to attack inanimate objects so long as it has a babysitter nearby. In the forums, it's meant to be cried about for having relevant dps.

I can understand ppl are complaining cause they can't compete with weaver or ele in general in term of dps for years ... But rotation wise , those classes are miles away from ele's difficulty ... So nerfing the ele dps to normal classe dps feels pretty unfair

Especially when classes have more survivability (with their full dps spec i mean) and more utility than just dps. It feels sad to me tho. I kinda quit raids long ago ... but this changes won't make me come back to it. (still miss 2 armors pieces)

@Nath Forge Tempete.1645 said:I can understand ppl are complaining cause they can't compete with weaver or ele in general in term of dps for years ... But rotation wise , those classes are miles away from ele's difficulty ... So nerfing the ele dps to normal classe dps feels pretty unfair

Especially when classes have more survivability (with their full dps spec i mean) and more utility than just dps. It feels sad to me tho. I kinda quit raids long ago ... but this changes won't make me come back to it. (still miss 2 armors pieces)

I agree, I don't do raids at all anymore. I don't care for them, expecting people to understand the mechanics or you're accidentally with an elitist group that puts the elite back in the meaning of the word.I just WvW and that's pretty lackluster, but if there isn't some kind of useful buff within this useless nerf, ele won't have much of a place anywhere.

@Nath Forge Tempete.1645 said:I can understand ppl are complaining cause they can't compete with weaver or ele in general in term of dps for years ... But rotation wise , those classes are miles away from ele's difficulty ... So nerfing the ele dps to normal classe dps feels pretty unfair

I mean, just compare sword weaver with mirage. They do about the same damage and serve the same function, except sword weaver is MUCH more complex to play. But at least it can slot an elite skill for uber CC... oh wait, no it doesn't, mirage does. But at least it has high uptime on evade frames and superspeed. Oh wait, no it doesn't, mirage does. So ya...

In Raids/Fractals, I think most will have to go to sword/dagger (or another class)... Which is really unfortunate.

I mean, we get it anet, you want people to use the new weapon that goes with the spec, but the sword rotation has soooooo many AA chains. :anguished: It totally doesn't fit with the theme of an elite spec with 26 available weapon skills to be auto attacking so much.

Idk, I'd say it's pretty transparent by this point that ANet wants ele players to move away from using staff so much. Sounds like a good idea in a vacuum, having players use more of a class' weapons instead of just sticking with one, but not so much when there's other builds to compete with. For instance, deadeye.

@Arkaile.5604 said:Idk, I'd say it's pretty transparent by this point that ANet wants ele players to move away from using staff so much. Sounds like a good idea in a vacuum, having players use more of a class' weapons instead of just sticking with one, but not so much when there's other builds to compete with. For instance, deadeye.

I disagree with this. And seems quite a narrow viewpoint.

Staff is an AoE ranged weapon. It is still the best potential dps on large hitbox or groups.Deadeye is the best dps on single target. Seems fair.

Ele is not in a spot where you will be kicked out of raids (and if you are, either you are bad or the commander is a kitten) for not being good dps.

The thing that, IMO, is wrong with the way the nerfs are coming is that staff ele is being pushed to burst without an option for sustain.If they increased the condi dmg on staff skills to (even partially) cover for the power nerfs, then maybe the ele could choose to go zerker on short (or phased) fights and hybrid (griever or whatever) on longer fights.

It would be nice to have options.

@lLobo.7960 said:

@Arkaile.5604 said:Idk, I'd say it's pretty transparent by this point that ANet wants ele players to move away from using staff so much. Sounds like a good idea in a vacuum, having players use more of a class' weapons instead of just sticking with one, but not so much when there's other builds to compete with. For instance, deadeye.

Staff is an AoE ranged weapon. It is still the best potential dps on large hitbox or groups.Deadeye is the best dps on single target. Seems fair.

Ele is not in a spot where you will be kicked out of raids (and if you are, either you are bad or the commander is a kitten) for not being good dps.

The thing that, IMO, is wrong with the way the nerfs are coming is that staff ele is being pushed to burst without an option for sustain.If they increased the condi dmg on staff skills to (even partially) cover for the power nerfs, then maybe the ele could choose to go zerker on short (or phased) fights and hybrid (griever or whatever) on longer fights.

It would be nice to have options.

I think it comes down to staff getting hit because of what weaver adds to it. Even though weaver gets duel skills that have good condi dmg core ele dose not for the most part it lacks any type of real condi effects so adding more condi dmg to staff may not work so well.

As for what Anet maybe saying is that they are going to keep buffing and nerfing ele base off of pve and not wvw even as we have other classes who are keeping there split skills that are getting balanced base off the different game types.

That what gets me the different treatment of the ele class vs other class in how the dev are allowed to balance there class. Or the ele devs have betrayed the ele class we cant tell because no one post on the ele forms and its out right impossible to have them post about ele on any other forms.

@lLobo.7960 said:

Seems fair to produce 30% higher damage output by using 1 weapon skill, auto attack and some utilities off cooldown? Yeah, no.

@lLobo.7960 said:Ele is not in a spot where you will be kicked out of raids (and if you are, either you are bad or the commander is a kitten) for not being good dps.

I dunno. Let's see the benchmarks tonight.

@Jski.6180 said:

That what gets me the different treatment of the ele class vs other class in how the dev are allowed to balance there class. Or the ele devs have betrayed the ele class we cant tell because no one post on the ele forms and its out right impossible to have them post about ele on any other forms.

So much this. As a returning player, it does seem that Anet's communication about balance is still trash. It's just REALLY showing RE: Elementalist atm. :(

@Chasind.3128 said:What do you expect from the elementalist in PvP? Are they only meant for 1v1 or team fights? Both?What is your vision for elementalists in WvW? With the upcoming nerf to their only long ranged weapon, what do you hope for the elementalist? What will their role turn to?How about elementalists in PvE & Raids?

What do you guys think about elementalist in its current state and soon to be future state?Please share your thoughts/ suggestions and opinions!

Elementalist in PVP is supposed to be a meme. There are some support builds that kind of work. The problem is other builds are doing what the Elementalist does, but better.I don't play Elementalist in WvW to comment on that.Elementalists in more general PVe, like exploration and story instances was already suffering. Harder boss fights can be a pain as an Elementalist while they are a breeze for nearly every other profession out there. Now it will only become even harder, because reasons.Elementalists in instanced PVE, Fractals and Raids will suffer because their rotation is more complicated than others, but I'm positive they will remain strong there. After all Elementalists shine when they have babysitters to revive them, heal them and buff them. And by shine I mean do good damage because that's all Elementalists are good for.

It's sad really. Arenanet only balances around the Elementalist being with enough allies to keep them alive. While in any situation that you won't have such allies available, WvW roaming, most cases in PVP, solo story instances and so on Elementalists keep getting worse and worse.

And because some Necromancer/Scourge will pop in, they always do when Elementalists get nerfed, quick reminder that Scourge is meta and Necromancer was meta, in nearly every aspect of the game outside Raids and high-end Fractals, while having the easiest time when going solo in any type of content.

@Nate.5109 said:

So much this. As a returning player, it does seem that Anet's communication about balance is still trash. It's just REALLY showing RE: Elementalist atm. :(

There are no ele devs.The only ele dev I saw almost died while just trying to show off tempest skills when the tempest 1st was introduced in a video.