Best Way To Get Hero Points For Alts

hey everyone. So my necromancer is maxed out on hero points and been working away at my guardian. just wondering whats the most efficient way to get the hero points for your alts? i dont bother with getting the Tyria ones since HoT and PoF has the 10 points each sets. is there a fast way or some hidden way to get them either in gem store or say trading across HP on my necro which is in credit to another character?

thanks folks:)

If I remember right, I've been told you can get them from WvW vendors? I don't quite rightly remember if that's true or not. Other than that there is no gem store or HP trading. You either get them from leveling or doing the points. I actually go after the Tyria points as well so it gives me a nice cushion so I'm not scrambling to do the next set of hero points if they release another elite spec. That and having them done means it's easier to get the map completion done as well if I need some GoE for a Legendary.

If you play WvW pretty often you can trade your Testimonies of Heroics currency to the Heroics Notary vendor and buy a random Hero Point challenge from either the Heart of Maguuma region or the Crystal Desert region (for HoT and PoF). These are called "Notarized Scroll of Maguuma/Desert Heroics" and will give you 10 hero points for the character you're playing on when you purchase it from the WvW vendor, so if you buy 5 of them, you'll get 50 hero points for that character.

This just means that the challenges will be completed for you in the open world and you didn't need to travel there to do them yourself. The follow up to this is if you've completed every hero challenge in one of the expansion regions, you can't buy any more hero points there from the WvW vendor since there aren't any left anymore in that region (you've done them already ;) ).

You can also use this to buy Core Tyria Hero Point challenges, but if say, you don't like the HoT or PoF ones because they're too challenging or just time-consuming, then this is a way to get them done easier.

Granted you'll need to do some WvW and earn pips to get the Testimony of Heroics from the reward chests, but if you casually play around following a Commander's group and choose them every time in the reward chest (instead of something like a random dye or transmutation charges), you'll acquire a lot to use on any alts you'll make in the future.

This is just one way to get the Hero Points that you need; there may be better ways. Personally I just like doing them in the open world with that character when it comes time for them to face that challenge, but hey, not everyone's choice. :)

There’s another way, but it has to be done on that char, can’t do on one char and give to another.

There are people who run Hero Point trains in HoT and sometimes in PoF. They advertise on Reddit and lead a zerg of players across the expansion getting all hero points on those maps and also WPs and most POIs. One run takes a couple of hours. You can message this guy, Emikadon, on Reddit and see if he’s still doing the HoT Hero Point runs or if he knows of anyone else.

As mentioned the WvW Testimonies are the fastest if you already have some banked up.The fastest without them is cherry-picking the easier ones in the HoT and PoF maps. There are a few easy communes in Verdant Brink and Auric Basin, then jump over to the desert maps and do the easier ones there.Using this method should fill out an elite spec in less than two hours even solo.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:Easiest way?Get to tier 6 in wvwThen afk until you have enough writs.10 for PoF or HoT points, 1 for Core points

Edit: writs = Proof of Heroics

Testimonies are awarded for WvW
ranks
. Semi-afk'ing to keep participation ticking is going to generate testimonies
very
slowly.

You can also get them from Skirmish Chests so you're afking for pips not ranks

@meowtier.1364 said:

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:Easiest way?Get to tier 6 in wvwThen afk until you have enough writs.10 for PoF or HoT points, 1 for Core points

ranks
very
slowly.

Ah, forgot those! That, though, depends heavily on how many pips you get. A low-rank player really needs an Outnumbered map to make a decent headway - getting 3-6 pips per tick doesn't exactly make the skirmish chests flow rapidly ;)

It's absolutely a good supplement, but if you're not interested in playing WvW in a fairly active way (large-ish fights or fairly fast capture of many objectives), or you're already somewhat high rank, it's not really going to be a fast method of getting Hero Points.

The main strength of WvW when it comes to HPs is that you can "pre-earn" the Testimonies while you're just playing regularly, and thus have them available instantly when making a new alt.

@InfiniteRetro.9865 said:i dont bother with getting the Tyria ones

Well there's your first mistake. Most Tyria HPs are so easy to get, being just a matter of arriving at the location and communing.

When I level an alt, I grab every HP. By the time I'm lvl 80, this means I have not only maxed out my regular slots, but also have 165-185 HPs to put towards an elite spec. Then I grab a very easy 8 or so HPs in PoF which takes maybe 30 minutes tops.

The only reason I could see for not doing this is if you use a lvl 80 boost, in which case you have maxed regular slots anyway. Then I'd just run the necessary HPs in PoF (you can get about 200 points with very little effort solo, and pick up the remaining 5 in HoT, using basically the communable ones and maybe one or two that need a fight.

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:There’s another way, but it has to be done on that char, can’t do on one char and give to another.

There are people who run Hero Point trains in HoT and sometimes in PoF. They advertise on Reddit and lead a zerg of players across the expansion getting all hero points on those maps and also WPs and most POIs. One run takes a couple of hours. You can message this guy, Emikadon, on Reddit and see if he’s still doing the HoT Hero Point runs or if he knows of anyone else.

No need to check reddit ... at least for NA. I see HP trains starting in VB multiple times a day.

@Biff.5312 said:

Well there's your first mistake. Most Tyria HPs are so easy to get, being just a matter of arriving at the location and communing.

When I level an alt, I grab every HP. By the time I'm lvl 80, this means I have not only maxed out my regular slots, but also have 165-185 HPs to put towards an elite spec. Then I grab a very easy 8 or so HPs in PoF which takes maybe 30 minutes tops.

The only reason I could see for not doing this is if you use a lvl 80 boost, in which case you have maxed regular slots anyway. Then I'd just run the necessary HPs in PoF (you can get about 200 points with very little effort solo, and pick up the remaining 5 in HoT, using basically the communable ones and maybe one or two that need a fight.

Many of the HoT and PoF ones are also just arriving and communing. The fighting ones in PoF are also just veterans ... except for the one where officially it is one djinn but in reality it is 1 djinn, 1 hydra, 3 sand lions plus 5 forged and then maybe another hydra wanders in to join in on the fight.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:Easiest way?Get to tier 6 in wvwThen afk until you have enough writs.10 for PoF or HoT points, 1 for Core points

ranks
very
slowly.

Ah, forgot those! That, though, depends heavily on how many pips you get. A low-rank player really needs an Outnumbered map to make a decent headway - getting 3-6 pips per tick doesn't exactly make the skirmish chests flow rapidly ;)

It's absolutely a good supplement, but if you're not interested in playing WvW in a fairly active way (large-ish fights or fairly fast capture of many objectives), or you're already somewhat high rank, it's not really going to be a fast method of getting Hero Points.

The main strength of WvW when it comes to HPs is that you can "pre-earn" the Testimonies while you're just playing regularly, and thus have them available
instantly
when making a new alt.

I'm a casual WvWer, but I have 250 Skirmish chests in my bank, and I can't abide the idea of starting a second stack, so I just open them up as they come and take the testimonies. I have almost 1000 in my wallet, which is enough to complete 4 elite specs. They add up pretty fast.

@Biff.5312 said:

Whether you use a L80 Boost or level naturally, you would 'max out the regular slots'. It's probably even easier to obtain those 165-185 Hero Points in Core Tyria with a boosted character. One method may offer more ease, the other speed.

Each Elite Specialization requires 250 Hero Points to unlock fully. So only 25 HoT/PoF HPs for one or 50 HPs for both.

If you choose pursuing an Open World route for your HPs, with both HoT and PoF you can find in LFG groups who will be doing HP Trains in their respective maps. But many of these maps also contain a lot of HPs that you can channel, though this often first requires clearing out nearby mobs, and some of these are tough (see Balthazar's HP in Auric Basin).

HoT has more HP per map: Verdant Brink (11), Auric Basin (11), Tangled Depths (11), and Dragon's Stand (7).

In comparison with PoF maps: Crystal Oasis (5), Desert Highlands (7), Elon Riverlands (8), Desolation (6), Vabbi (3).

As you can see, you only need 25, but there are 40 options in HoT and 39 in PoF.

PoF does tend to be more soloable, but HoT is typically more efficient since there are more HP per map in much more comparatively smaller maps. I would recommend doing an initial set of HP trains for the HoT maps. There are a lot of HPs you can skip. If no HP train is running, do the easy ones that you can channel. The one exception is Dragon's Stand. You kinda need to do the map wide meta. But if you do the meta, then the map mostly clears for 7 easy mode HP plus map rewards. You can easily get the HPs you need for BOTH of your elite specializations in less than a day.

Another option worth considering is mix and matching the Open World and WvW method. Do the easy HP stuff in Open World and then do WvW for the rest. That way when you randomly unlock a HoT or PoF HP, it will be likelier that you unlock one of the more challenging map HP rather than something you could have done in less than two minutes of time. This also makes map completion easier should you decide that you would need that later (e.g., map rewards, legendaries, etc.).

Once you have mounts unlocked and trained up, several of the commune-only HPs become significantly easier to reach and cap. In addition, virtually all of the PoF HPs are designed to be soloable. For the harder ones in HoT, I recommend tagging along with an HP train. You can also use the WvW testimonies, but to maximize the efficiency, I recommend only spending those after manually unlocking the easier ones first. That way you don't accidentally waste them on something you could have easily obtained.

Archived