expand the mailbox limit?

Hex.2579

• ArenaNet Staff

@Dante.1763 said:I would like this alot and i dont know why.

If I recall properly, I asked about this a long time ago. I believe that it was explained to me that there is a lot involved in the mail system, and expanding the capacity of the mailbox isn't a simple change, in part because it impacts every single account in the game. (Which is, what, 11 million? :) ) I'll see if I can find out a few details about this. I don't believe that a change is in the works, but feel it would be interesting to share more about the mailbox in general, if that's possible.

My solution is to screenshot any mail I want to keep, and then save the screenshot. Mostly it's nice or funny messages from other players, but some of the automated ones too since I'm not sure how long they stay. My oldest mail is about 4 years old, but that's no where near the oldest I've received.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

If I recall properly, I asked about this a long time ago. I believe that it was explained to me that there is a lot involved in the mail system, and expanding the capacity of the mailbox isn't a simple change, in part because it impacts every single account in the game. (Which is, what, 11 million? :) ) I'll see if I can find out a few details about this. I don't believe that a change is in the works, but feel it would be interesting to share more about the mailbox in general, if that's possible.

And that translates to each mail potentially holding 5 items, gold, target, sender and a message body of 512 characters? Looking at at least a Gigabit or two of server storage space per mail added to capacity not to mention the coding issues that might arise from increasing the limit as gemstore delivered items count towards that limit.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Danikat.8537 said:My solution is to screenshot any mail I want to keep, and then save the screenshot. Mostly it's nice or funny messages from other players, but some of the automated ones too since I'm not sure how long they stay. My oldest mail is about 4 years old, but that's no where near the oldest I've received.

I do exactly that, as well. The GW folder holds all in-game screenshots, so if I need to retrieve one, I find it in that folder. It's fast, it's effective -- it works great.

@Tyger.1637 said:

And that translates to each mail potentially holding 5 items, gold, target, sender and a message body of 512 characters? Looking at at least a Gigabit or two of server storage space per mail added to capacity not to mention the coding issues that might arise from increasing the limit as gemstore delivered items count towards that limit.

That's a very interesting set of stats there! Yep, it's not a trivial amount, for sure.

ANet isn't really in the "communication" business. Mail in GW2 is meant to be a way to send items/coin, quick messages, and in-game alerts. It's not meant to be a full-fledged system that makes it easy for people to hoard their favorite thank you notes.

Fortunately, there are plenty of third party sites out there, Discord among them, which is in that business. These days, if I want to stay in touch with someone in a world where people come & go from this game without warning, I make sure we have each other's Discord contact info. Bonus: they don't have to return to GW2 to say "hey."

@Danikat.8537 said:My solution is to screenshot any mail I want to keep, and then save the screenshot. Mostly it's nice or funny messages from other players, but some of the automated ones too since I'm not sure how long they stay. My oldest mail is about 4 years old, but that's no where near the oldest I've received.

System and Game generated mail does not count against the 10 count limit(that would those messages you get for map completion, anything from ArenaNet etc., I still have all of the original messages you receive from doing the story(and all subsequent ones as well). I'm pretty sure the 10 message limit is for mail from other players, though hopefully Gayle will be able to confirm this with more insight.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

System and Game generated mail does not count against the 10 count limit(that would those messages you get for map completion, anything from ArenaNet etc., I still have all of the original messages you receive from doing the story(and all subsequent ones as well). I'm pretty sure the 10 message limit is for mail from other players, though hopefully Gayle will be able to confirm this with more insight.

I know they don't count against the limit, but I think they can expire. Unless I actually deleted my original Deluxe Edition email (with the Hero's Band, banker golem and other stuff) which I meant to keep forever. The oldest one I've got now is the HoT Ultimate message.

@Danikat.8537 said:

I know they don't count against the limit, but I think they can expire. Unless I actually deleted my original Deluxe Edition email (with the Hero's Band, banker golem and other stuff) which I meant to keep forever. The oldest one I've got now is the HoT Ultimate message.

Not sure, but I know I deleted those myself after taking them...and every new character gets one too, so there's really no need to keep them(that is if you keep making new characters). I'd have check my oldest character, which basically sits in Ebonhawke as my Leatherworker and Tailor to see what the oldest message is, not sure which ones I kept on that one.

The oldest message that I have in the in-box is on my second oldest character, and that is a game generated message from 4 years ago...so if there's a cut off for deleting those messages, it's more than 4 years.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:If I recall properly, I asked about this a long time ago. I believe that it was explained to me that there is a lot involved in the mail system, and expanding the capacity of the mailbox isn't a simple change, in part because it impacts every single account in the game. (Which is, what, 11 million? :) ) I'll see if I can find out a few details about this. I don't believe that a change is in the works, but feel it would be interesting to share more about the mailbox in general, if that's possible.

yayyy. thank you. if expanding sounds too troublesome, perhaps make a new tab for archived mails? or any work around would be nice and welcome in the future.i know i have some old friends that moved on to other MMOs, but i still keep some of their messages in my inbox. so that took away 1/3 of my mailbox already. but oh well.i should try the screenshot method you guys mentioned.i didn't know it'd involve a lot, to be honest. it's just the limit on 10 mails is just too little for everyone, especially if you're an officer of a guild or something of the like.not to mention whenever i send 2 mails, it'll suppress me for a bit.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:If I recall properly, I asked about this a long time ago. I believe that it was explained to me that there is a lot involved in the mail system, and expanding the capacity of the mailbox isn't a simple change, in part because it impacts every single account in the game. (Which is, what, 11 million? :) ) I'll see if I can find out a few details about this. I don't believe that a change is in the works, but feel it would be interesting to share more about the mailbox in general, if that's possible.

This really needs to be done, though. There are several things that do not fit the players' needs after six years, and this is one of them.

Other are, for instance:

• max number of guild slots
  • max number of chat tabs (and the addition of the ability to lock them or at least toggling the "X" to be hidden)

@sorudo.9054 said:my mail box is empty tho, never got why ppl hoard mails.....

I like to re-read them because they make me happy. They remind me of the stupid things me and my friends will mail to each other and how nice people can be to each other in this game - some are from times someone was nice enough to help me out with something I was saving up for, and responses when I helped someone else out.

@Hex.2579 said:

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:If I recall properly, I asked about this a long time ago. I believe that it was explained to me that there is a lot involved in the mail system, and expanding the capacity of the mailbox isn't a simple change, in part because it impacts every single account in the game. (Which is, what, 11 million? :) ) I'll see if I can find out a few details about this. I don't believe that a change is in the works, but feel it would be interesting to share more about the mailbox in general, if that's possible.

yayyy. thank you. if expanding sounds too troublesome, perhaps make a new tab for archived mails? or any work around would be nice and welcome in the future.i know i have some old friends that moved on to other MMOs, but i still keep some of their messages in my inbox. so that took away 1/3 of my mailbox already. but oh well.i should try the screenshot method you guys mentioned.i didn't know it'd involve a lot, to be honest. it's just the limit on 10 mails is just too little for everyone, especially if you're an officer of a guild or something of the like.not to mention whenever i send 2 mails, it'll suppress me for a bit.

But the entire point is they don't want to have to store those messages. From a technical perspective, theres nothing compelling that prevents them increasing the inbox size or archiving beyond the need for assigning arrays to house them..... but from a design and cost perspective, theres every reason to not let players have too large a box. More mails = more data = more database space requried = more disks to both run and back up the account data * number of accounts. From the UI design side, you also have to design the interface to comfortably navigate however many messages can be stored. In the case of archiving, which increases the limit beyond immediate visual inspection, you have to add several new functions to tag and organize the messages. Over a certain amount you also have to start considering things like assigning properties, sorting, search functions, conversation stings, sanity checks to make sure mail with attachments aren't forgotten by the user, and other management features "expected" by advanced messaging systems. The rabbit hole can run even deeper if the users start showing interest in UI aesthetics/layout; as I've seen people demand UIs be updated based on iphone principles, and those vehemently opposed to that style, or change in general.

@"sorudo.9054" said:my mail box is empty tho, never got why ppl hoard mails.....

if you're a recruiter for a guild. you gonna get messages throughout the day. or if you help others without asking for anything in return, they send you thank you letters and what not. my mail could just fill up in a day or two. and it exploded on my bday which was 2 days ago. then people who didn't know you can't send mails to someone who mailbox is full will receive some sort of messages. and that they think i unfriend/block them. lol.

besides that 10 mails in general is still too little for many people. even if they don't have the need to "hoard" like you said.

i'm glad Gaile said it's already been brought up. so it's a good thing it's got bringing up again. hopefully some work around with QoL will be implement in the future. doesn't have to be mail concerning. but a lot of us would be happy to just see that. or at least can send more than 2 mails away without a suppression.

Archived