Arena Net Future Endeavors, "Improving the systems that are already there."

What would be the purpose? With the exception of warrior (since the removal of regen on banners, yes, I'm still salty over that), there is a viable healing build for every class. There are viable DPS builds for every class, and there are viable support builds for every class. So, what would be the point to being able to be a chrono/weaver or a tempest/berserker? Outside of a niche skill here and there, like portals for mesmer, you can do everything every other person in the game can on whatever class you are playing. And you can have as many characters as you can afford to buy character slots for, if you want more than just 5.

This isn't like a regular D&D game, like Pool of Radiance and Secret of the Silver Blades (I really miss those games, even if I had to swap floppies) or Baldur's Gate. In those games you really did need a party member that was a thief, one that was a tank, one that was a healer, and so on.

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:Yeah, at best I could see Ascension allowing you to change classes in the same weight category (now that we have 3 of each armor weight).

Which is a low value add with the number of default character slots, level up tomes, and ease of getting more of both.

Except selling character slots is a subtle, but significant element of their business model and revenue stream. What you see as low value, is a mid cost, high effort dev project that results negative returns in revenue; unless your idea includes selling it like crafting slots, and priced to account for the fact that its supplanting both a character slot and up to 4 bag slots.

They are definitely counting on the fact that, over time, you will get the urge to roll a different class, and have to spend the time, effort and gold to gear that character, and then open yourself to cosmetics from the gem store to make that character look nice, as well as reward skins (ie the gold sinks) for similar reasons.

Archived