Q? What is the correct pronounciation of 'Bjora Marches'? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Q? What is the correct pronounciation of 'Bjora Marches'?

KGUN.8374KGUN.8374 Member ✭✭
edited January 27, 2020 in Lore

Bjora Marches

1. ' B-aura ' ?
  2. ' B'-Jora ' ?
  3. ' Jora Marches ' ?

4. Other (please say/reply)

I wasn't sure really. I think it's said in game but I could of swore I Heard it pronounced another way somewhere.
Thanks.

Comments

• Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭✭✭

One of the devs during the recent guild chat pronounced it with 'b'.

Some people pronounce it with 'b' silent, so it depends, either way it's obvious reference to Jora, so I guess it's not a big deal.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

H. P. Lovecraft

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think its pretty obvious that the "correct" pronounciation would be Jora Marches, but I don't think anyone says that.

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay (formerly Jade Quarry) | Mains Mariyuuna/Tempest(PvE) & Terakura/Spellbreaker(WvW) | ♀♥♀

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020

hard to say: "J" is also a trick letter in many languages. im my mother language is the "j" of "jungle" only, in many other languages the "j" is read as "io" or "eo".

main pvp: Khel the Undead(power reaper).

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020

@Arden.7480 said:
    One of the devs during the recent guild chat pronounced it with 'b'.

Some people pronounce it with 'b' silent, so it depends, either way it's obvious reference to Jora, so I guess it's not a big deal.

It is not a reference to Jora at all - the map existed in gw1

B-yora is likely correct but most just pronounce what they see and go with b-jora

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• KGUN.8374KGUN.8374 Member ✭✭

ok, Thanks for letting me know the correct / official way of saying it :)

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020

If we go with norse pronunciation, I think it would be pronounced "b-yora". J's are treated akin to y's in norse, and the b would be said akin to the b in "boy". Best way to see would be if there's spoken dialogue in-game, but I would expect it'd be pronounced "bjora" that way, since ANet devs aren't as focused on non-English pronunciation as they once were.

@Valandil Dragonhart.2371 said:
    and Jora hadn't yet established her legend; the most influencial thing she did in EotN, was kill her corrupted brother, Svanir. Her legend's strength grew long after GW1 was done.

And Bjora Marches was named such before Jora killed her brother. However, Bjora Marches is where Jora's homestead was located (which is where Jora's Keep was built). So there is a curious relation presented despite Jora's lack-of-legend in GW1.

All these squares make a circle.

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

I pronounces it as Biora (i as in internet) Marches.
    It's Norn area, so it's pronounced as a Germanic term, which means Germanic j and the B is not silent.