ASURA? CHARR? HUMAN? SYLVARI? NORN?

Drizzt.1796

The backbone of the High Legion Charr is probably Warrior, Engineer, Ranger, Thief, and more recently Revenant (among the high legions). Anything that doesn't heavily rely on magic, because magic is for cowardly mice like Flame Legion and Humans. Flame Legion seem to have all of the professions common to the legions, but also train spellcasters like Elementalists since they don't have the same taboo on magic.

I feel as though the majority of Asura we see in-game are Elementalists, Engineers or surprisingly Warrior (peacekeepers). Pet tamers exist (asura have a weird fixation on training Moas, I think), but they aren't very Ranger-y. I feel as though most asura want to fight on the back lines, and want to put a pet/subordinate/golem between them and the enemy.

Krytan Humans are known to have knowledge of all professions (besides Revenant), but seem to have a disproportionally high number of Mesmers (perhaps the home city of the mesmer collective?). Guardian and Warrior seem common enough in the Seraph and Ministry Guard, while priests of grenth will obviously opt to study Necromancy (more for rituals and funeral rites than actually raising the dead). Thief seem to be common too, for obvious reasons.

I feel as though you can't really place a class on Sylvari or Norn. Sylvari seem to pick up their class from the Dream, although the time they are spat out seems to affect their class and personality. A Sylvari born in the night seems to opt for darker professions, like Necromancer, Thief, or professional traitor.

Norn have Shamans (Necromancers), but seem otherwise fair game. They live between Humans and the Charr, and generally hold an approachable, if not neutral, reputation among both. I don't think I have ever seen a norn Mesmer, but I am sure they must exist since Raven, Owl and Eagle seem to be heavily themed around the mind (tactics, knowledge and wisdom).

That's my opinion, anyways.

I don't really think there's a "best" choice for any of them. The professions are deliberately designed not to be race-specific, and when you're creating a character, you can definitely justify any combination you pick.

As Westenev pointed out, among NPCs there are certain trends as to which professions are common for each race. I think the most extreme of these is for Revenant, since as far as I know there are only two NPC Revenants, both charr.

@Westenev.5289 said:Norn have Shamans (Necromancers), but seem otherwise fair game. They live between Humans and the Charr, and generally hold an approachable, if not neutral, reputation among both. I don't think I have ever seen a norn Mesmer, but I am sure they must exist since Raven, Owl and Eagle seem to be heavily themed around the mind (tactics, knowledge and wisdom).

There are a couple of norn mesmer NPCs: Vilnia Shadowing in Snowden Drifts, and (if I recall correctly) Ayla Piersdottir in one of Vigil story instances. I think there's another one somewhere else in core Tyria, but I don't remember where.

@Westenev.5289 said:The backbone of the High Legion Charr is probably Warrior, Engineer, Ranger, Thief, and more recently Revenant (among the high legions). Anything that doesn't heavily rely on magic, because magic is for cowardly mice like Flame Legion and Humans. Flame Legion seem to have all of the professions common to the legions, but also train spellcasters like Elementalists since they don't have the same taboo on magic.

Just a note, Charr have eles, mesmers and necros as well. One of the starter selections for your partner is an ele and you can recruit both a necromancer and a mesmer at one point in the story.

I agree that they've generally done a good job making it so any race/profession combination can fit, which makes it difficult to list typical choices for each race because I always feel like I'm artificially limiting it. For example I'd say the sylvari's defining trait is their curiosity about the world so they're more likely to choose something experimental like a necromancer or engineer and less likely to pick something straight-forward like a warrior. But then maybe their priority is on exloring or their Wild Hunt called them to defend a specific place and they just wanted straight-forward combat skills to use in the process, in which case a warrior makes perfect sense.

The only combination I think could be a bit of a stretch is a charr elementalist who isn't Flame Legion. But even then it could work. I imagine the Ash Legion especially would be opposed to totally abandoning fire magic because it's important to understand your enemy and what they can do, and it's a useful tool to have. Besides it wasn't actually the Flame Legion's use of fire magic that made them a problem, it was their attitude towards all the rest of the charr. So as long as a charr ele isn't trying to take over they wouldn't be a problem.

Elementalist: Human, Norn, Charr (Essentially Fire/Ice magic)Mesmer: Human and Norn (Just don't see an asura, a charr or a sylavri mesmer)Necro: All races (basically, you study it, and you can do dark arts after 2 lessons)Engineer: Charr, Human and Asura (Through agree turrets design aren't adapted)Thief: Human and Charr (Think about thieves, ash legion)Ranger: Sylvari and Norn (connection to nature)Warrior: Charr, Norn and Human (don't really see a sylvari or asura as warrior)Guardian: Sylvari and Asura (I think about their peaceful behavior generally, the peacemakers)Revenant: Norn and Sylvari (connection to the mist, but kinda all seeing the mist troops in dragonfall)

This is just how I see each class. I see more asura as guardians, they aren't warrior. When Quora Sum and when Rata Novus fell, they acted the same way, special troops stayed until last breath to allow citizens to flee. They protect, they don't fight, they just hold a place. They have golems to fight.

My main is an Asura and she's a Reaper. Odd you might think but I didn't have much knowledge about the game when I created her, however, one of the Hero Points in Metrica Province told me about Oola, who was trying to combine Necromancy with Golemancy. It's not100%, but that fits me as a valid background :)

On topic, I have all but Charr. And it's not because I dislike them — although it's true I felt wonky when playing as a Charr (like during Urban Battleground Fractal) — but, in fact, it's because I couldn't make a decent name for a Charr that wasn't already taken.

@magnusthorek.8027 said:My main is an Asura and she's a Reaper. Odd you might think but I didn't have much knowledge about the game when I created her, however, one of the Hero Points in Metrica Province told me about Oola, who was trying to combine Necromancy with Golemancy. It's not100%, but that fits me as a valid background :)

On topic, I have all but Charr. And it's not because I dislike them — although it's true I felt wonky when playing as a Charr (like during Urban Battleground Fractal) — but, in fact, it's because I couldn't make a decent name for a Charr that wasn't already taken.

Try Cinnia Noonwaker, Urva Toothbreaker, or Clecani Boreholde. Those were female charr names i just thought of off the top of my head honestly.

Obviously, a good RP idea can make any race work with any class. But some combinations do seem to come more naturally than others.

Ranger: Sylvari (obviously), Human (Melandru), Charr (Blood Legion was the first to tame devourers), Norn (hunters of legend), Asura (they love their dancing moas).

Engineer: Charr (they invented the profession), Asura (they love to tinker).

Thief: Sylvari (Night Bloom), Human (lower class + circus = daredevil), Norn (Snow Leopard), Charr (Ash Legion).

Necro: Human (Grenth), Charr (Ash Legion has a long history with necros), Norn (Raven), Asura (Oola, Synergetics, etc.).

Mesmer: Asura (Synergetics experimenting with reality), Human (Lyssa, Jennah, Anise, Kasmeer...), Norn (Raven).

Elementalist: Charr (Flame Legion shamanism), Asura (Magic + Explosions = MAGIC EXPLOSIONS!).

Warrior: Every race has its grunts. Pick your poison.

Guardian: Asura (they like magic with their melee), Human (gods), Sylvari (idealistic defenders following Ventari's code).

Revenant: Asura (quick to study a weird new form of magic), Human (gods, connections with history and the Mists, etc.), Norn (Raven, legends, defending the Mists).

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:● HumanWarrior, Guardian, Revenant, Ranger, Thief, Engineer, Mesmer, Necromancer, Elementalist.

● CharrWarrior

● NornWarrior, Guardian, Ranger

● AsuraThief, Engineer, Necromancer, Elementalist

● SylvariRanger, Elementalist

Adjustments to your comment :● HumanEverything● CharrWarrior● NornWarrior, Guardian, Ranger● AsuraThief, Engineer, Necromancer, Elementalist● SylvariRanger, Elementalist

@Drizzt.1796 said:Type in what race goes best with each profession.

It doesn't matter at all as races in GW2 are merely cosmetic. The personal stories till Level 40 (?) differ, and that's the only real RPG content the game offers since it gives you choices and makes each character feel special, but afterwards it is the same for everyone (especially once you have reached Level 80, which goes quickly). So it's really up to you what you enjoy looking at the most.