Final nail in the coffin - No WvW updates

devastoscz.9851

I used to use excel solver to optimize every build I use in wvw, bring out the best combination of gear to squeeze out 1 more effective power.passionate gaming days are over. just can't stick with any content I get my hands on nowadays but lingered cuz wvw roaming meant so much for me.Not anymore. I guess this is the timing in my life when I should start paying more attention on grades and build up for a future. Anet just made it clearer for me.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:WvW Restructuring will come when it's ready.

It'll either never come or will come when there's no longer anyone around to care

I mean, come on now...

@"Dawdler.8521" said:We expected zero WvW announcements and got... a tiny bit. Now people complain about that.

lol, speak for yourself. Pleanty of us expected something more substantial than "yes, there will be a LW season 5" when they hype it for weeks and rent a venue.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:It was billed as an announcement about Living World. It was an announcement about Living World.It was entirely unsurprising that they barely mentioned anything else.

WvW Restructuring will come when it's ready. They aren't going to push an announcement for it to suit the Living World release schedule, or delay hyping LS5 until it's ready.

I'm not happy that Restructuring is taking so darn long. I just am not hanging my hopes on any single moment of ANet's marketing campaigns, especially since they tend to go ga-ga over stuff that I think barely matters and barely mention stuff that I think will be incredibly engaging to fans.

Alliances is literally a project to give a data science intern 2 months and a machine running MATLAB to finish. Back when they announced alliances, they acknowledged that they basically have the tech to implement it, they just need to understand how to do it right. That makes alliances a data science, modeling, and simulation challenge, not a development project.

Give any competent data scientist a dump of the last 18 months of WvW metrics, 2 months, and some modeling tools. They'd be done. The fact that alliances are still "oh we'll talk about it in a couple months" means that they haven't worked on it. At all.

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:It's almost like completely redesigning a game mode takes a very long time and a lot of work or something..

Ah.. I’m sorry then.

I didn’t realize we were getting a full redesign. I thought it was just a population restructure.

My bad

They're redesigning how WvW effectively works, taking away the current server structure, making a whole new one, adding new features like alliances, testing constantly, adding new ideas, taking others that don't work away.. etc all without destroying what people love about the game mode.

Effectively pairing servers down to 9-12, and relinking.

Anything else is speculation.

Because we haven’t been told anything else.

I don't have much experience with game design or coding but even I know that this sort of thing is a huge job that is going to take a lot of time.

19 months (at least) and counting without even a projected release date or an update in 10 months. LS seasons take 9 months.

I can sympathize with those who only play the game for WvW even though I don't understand why anyone would buy a MMO purely for the pvp.. but this kind of thing is one of those, it'll be done when it's done kinda things.

It’s END GAME CONTENT. Period. We have to play a lot of the rest of the game to enjoy our end game content, but then get no significant changes to that end game content.

We just have to wait, and when Anet has something to show or information to disclose they will.

Really? You think?

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:It's almost like completely redesigning a game mode takes a very long time and a lot of work or something..

Ah.. I’m sorry then.

I didn’t realize we were getting a full redesign. I thought it was just a population restructure.

My bad

They're redesigning how WvW effectively works, taking away the current server structure, making a whole new one, adding new features like alliances, testing constantly, adding new ideas, taking others that don't work away.. etc all without destroying what people love about the game mode.

I don't have much experience with game design or coding but even I know that this sort of thing is a huge job that is going to take a lot of time.I can sympathize with those who only play the game for WvW even though I don't understand why anyone would buy a MMO purely for the pvp.. but this kind of thing is one of those, it'll be done when it's done kinda things.We just have to wait, and when Anet has something to show or information to disclose they will.

No, no they are not.

Almost all of the backend linking ability is there already, and as someone posted above, anet has even stated almost everything for this exists in the game already, they just wanted to "collect data" to make sure it was balanced right. Which I saw a bit as BS, and people told me I was wrong, as WvW is not new, they should already have had years worth of server and population data. Along with how scarce real info is on the matter, I honestly don't think they have been working on it at all, and I do believe at this point will probably never be released, it will be postponed with "soon" over and over again, as it has been for over a year now, until people either give up on it or forget about it.

However, every time something comes up about WvW and lack of communication on what is being done and why promised updates or fixes take so long or never happen, it's always some hyperbole about it needing a "full redesign" of the game, or something just as ridiculous. Yet they push out LS updates often that contain more content (and work) in a single update than WvW has seen since the release of the game.

@Etterwyn.5263 said:This is the way the game endsThis is the way the game endsThis is the way the game ends

Not with a bang but with a whimper.

Yeah, like all 5 people that play WvW leave and the game ends. SHURE!!

You guys need to get a reality check. WvW isn't as important to the longevity of this game as you want to think. Sure, WvW players would leave at this continued rate. That would simply mean Anet could focus on developing the parts of this game that don't drag it down.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Etterwyn.5263 said:This is the way the game endsThis is the way the game endsThis is the way the game ends

You guys need to get a reality check. WvW isn't as important to the longevity of this game as you want to think. Sure, WvW players would leave at this continued rate. That would simply mean Anet could focus on developing the parts of this game that don't drag it down.

Wow... I don’t really think you could be more smug. And people call raiders and sPvPers elitist.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Wow... I don’t really think you could be more smug. And people call raiders and sPvPers elitist.

Nothing smug about it. If WvW isn't generating enough revenue and it's not a loss leader, then it should go away so they can focus on what is working for them. That's how business works.

Why do you think car makers are dumping sedans for SUV and crossovers? It's no different.

@Obtena.7952 said:

Nothing smug about it. If WvW isn't generating enough revenue and it's not a loss leader, then it should go away so they can focus on what is working for them. That's how business works.

Why do you think car makers are dumping sedans for SUV and crossovers? It's no different.

Nothing smug? Ha! Says the one who thinks wvw is something from the age of the dinosaurs that needs to go away!

@Obtena.7952 said:

There's no WvW only gemstore, we buy and farm the same shit as everyone else, it's why I always see a bunch of WvW players and guilds I know plowing through a map whenever a new LW episode drops and we're all right back in WvW once we got whatever we needed, and those maps are pretty much dead after a month so I can't go back to take my time on them. The difference is now WvW is noticeably taking a hit in activity and most of those players aren't just going to be suddenly cool with only farming Silverwastes and crying in newer maps for lfg if WvW dies.

@JTGuevara.9018 said:

Nothing smug? Ha! Says the one who thinks wvw is something from the age of the dinosaurs that needs to go away!

That's not what I said ... I said if it's not making them revenue or a loss leader, THEN it should go away. if you don't understand the difference, you should probably not continue to reply to me.

@kash.9213 said:

There's no WvW only gemstore, we buy and farm the same kitten as everyone else,.

That doesn't matter. I can assure you, Anet can measure who is playing what mode, for how long and how much they are spending. if WvW players are not the majority of the revenue, WvW won't be the majority of the investment. The decision on what to focus development on is a business one, not an emotional one.

"Character Build and Gear Templates—In the near future, you’ll be able to easily share your builds and swap between different equipment loadouts with ease!Competitive Updates—Swiss-style tournament support is almost here! Special tournament support, mini-seasons, and world restructuring are in progress, and we’ll be able to talk more about them in the coming months."

That is from their official website, Soon®™More like stringing what people have wanted for a long time now is not in their planning schedule.

@Obtena.7952 said:

There's no WvW only gemstore, we buy and farm the same kitten as everyone else,.

That doesn't matter. I can assure you, Anet can measure who is playing what mode, for how long and how much they are spending. if WvW players are not the majority of the revenue, WvW won't be the majority of the investment. The decision on what to focus development on is a business one, not an emotional one.

We have to take time away from WvW to play those other modes and we're spending money on the same stuff, I shouldn't have to say that a second time so soon. If Anet knew what to do with their measurements LFG wouldn't be a glorified Silverwastes port.

@Obtena.7952 said:

You still have no data, just speculation, in business that's...... What we have is ANet telling us we're 'important' and change is 'coming'. However, our 'update' didn't even make the show today, but plastic trinkets did. We got a consolation post on the forums hours later and all it really says is we're trying really hard, but just can't. THAT is reality. Check it. From a business perspective, this is when you pick up your money (and time) and walk away from the table and look for another investment.

If they came clean and said you're not important, you don't make enough money, and nothing is coming I'd venture a guess the tone around here would change greatly.

The car lot doesn't say, 'come look at all of our sedans!' with no sedans on the lot.

@Tinnel.4369 said:

You still have no data, just speculation, in business that's......

It's not speculation that businesses invest in areas where they get their revenues from.

@Obtena.7952 said:

You still have no data, just speculation, in business that's......

It's not speculation that businesses invest in areas where they get their revenues from.

Then prove the gap between PvE and WvW with more than speculation.

@kash.9213 said:

We have to take time away from WvW to play those other modes and we're spending money on the same stuff,

You're saying it because you it don't understand it doesn't matter WHAT you spend your money on because everyone is buying the same thing: GEMS.

@Tinnel.4369 @kash.9213 @Etterwyn.5263 @JTGuevara.9018

Given the poster you are exchanging with states that

and that makes you four, me, and @sephiroth.4217 , which brings the total to 6, they are conceptually wrong.

It also means that the poster in question, by his own admission in numbers doesn’t play the mode,

Which in turn means the poster in question is likely here to farm infractions,

I can only think back to the lyric from Motley Crue that started ‘Girl, don’t go away mad, just go away.’

The poster is trying to rile you up. They aren’t worth your time.