Official Feedback Thread about Build and Equipment Templates

I would like the option to disable build templates.

This system was not implemented to help players switch between builds, it was put in place to milk $$$ from players in the form of expansion tabs.

Well played NCSoft, people may blame anet but this is standard korean gaming practice. Taking the path of your sisters Nexon and NSquare is only going to drive players away.

That pricing....

It’s only somewhat reasonable if you have one char you play. If you have multiple alts then per character unlock at those prices is waaaayyyyy to much. Which means I’ll never buy any as I don’t have a main but multiple alts I switch between. If there are new elite specs you get more value for your money if you buy a new char slot than to buy a set of templates for an old char. A whole new char slot shouldn’t cost less than buying the same amount of build upgrades.

Other than that I never used Arc so I don’t have that to compare it to. Seems to work well enough and for a casual like me useful for out of combat weapon swaps.

Edit: and removing separate WvW/sPvP/PvE autoswitch. That’s not an upgrade.

I actually kind of like this. But I have one complaint: Why is the limit on max tabs so low? While I don't have a crapload of builds, I have a character with a crapload of outfits made of basic equipment-more than six.

Edit: I have a second complaint, actually. Anytime you clear a build, it gives you the specializations tutorial again. Um, I've been playing this game for two years now, I know what a specialization is.

PvP Equipment Issue / Duplicate Bug

I can't equipped the shield that is stored in my equipment storage for PvP.

Also, I suddenly have one more Legendary Sigil in my inventory. Very confusing as I have no idea where it belongs. This could be used to duplicate an infinite number of legendary upgrades, I suppose (!).

Edit: I have made a video of the bug and will post it shortly.Edit 2: The video can be found on Page 4.

(Best not to enter the PvP lobby until these bugs got fixed.)

Build template storage is ok and all but what we really NEED is an equipment template storage which allows you to have access to account bound gear on another character! PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN as it provides ease of access to account bound gear across multiple characters, equipment templates are basically meaningless as one would still need to unequip each piece of gear and transfer it to another character and then equipping it piece by piece. Which ultimately ruins the whole point of equipment template making switching gears seamless and less tedious across different characters!

Funny thing: I entered PvP thinking you kept my PvP build (when going to PvP, the game used to, before this patch, use the build I've set up for PvP), but nope. Nope nope, it went in with my PvE build. That's... an interesting feature. Will this happen every time now that I enter PvP from PvE?

Dear Arenanet

Great work I realy love this templates but I have two negative points.

1. It is not possible to create equipment templates on different accounts with the same legendary parts at the same time.Example I cant create a equiment template with my elementalist and one with a necromant with the same legendary staff (bisfrost) means the advantage of a legendary part (weapon, armor, runes ect.) is with the templates gone or lets say just reduced to the skin. And legendary armor skins are not my favourit ones, runes dont even have skins means they are usless because you just buy for way less money some equipment gear and you put them to the different characters no need for the legendary.Legendary parts should be used on all account equipment templates together at the same time to keep the advantage of the legendary status.I hope you will read this first point and think about this.

2. A little bit expensive to be honest but thats up to you, hope compaired to the time you needed to create this its a fair priced item.

Greatings Kampfbaer

Sharing gear between characters is my biggest concern. If you have more than one build template you can no longer swap in account-bound items from shared inventory by just double-clicking, because the item gets absorbed into the system and you have to remember to open up hero panel, switch to build tab, equip character's item, drag shared item back to shared inventory. 1 double-click vs, well, I lost count. Every. Time. I. Switch. Characters. The only† work-around is to not use multiple build templates. Oh right... I play more than one game type.

Case 1: Swim speed infusions on ascended breathers. It's bad enough we have to farm for swim speed infusions for 3 different armor classes, now we have to farm for them for every single character because swapping takes so many steps.Case 2: Switching ascended amulets based on game type. (For magic find, karma, exp boosts / stats / etc)Case 3: WvW. I do play fairly often. However, I use different elite specializations in WvW vs PvE. The previous system wasn't perfect as I still had to double-click to equip the appropriate weapons. Templates would be nice to fix this, but see the swapping WvW amulet issue above. Also, auto-switching is fewer clicks than manually switching, I'm just saying...
Case 4: Legendaries. If you want to use multiple specs on a legendary, this means multiple build templates, which effectively means no more sharing it between characters.

What I would like to see is having account-bound items be available to all characters for templates. To answer those who say "but you can't have items on multiple characters", this just automates the shared-inventory process, which you could indeed do in the past.

† OK, so I could make enough ascended equipment so everyone has copies of everything in their own template inventories, but that defeats the purpose of 'Account Bound'.

@Omnicron.2467 said:

@Omnicron.2467 said:As others have said, the limit to two equipment slots also feels strange give the three trait slots, and I need to change Runes a lot on my guardian depending on the build, so it will be even more confusing what runes are now saves and when I need to swap

There is no confusion. They just didn't add template, they unhid the previous pve/pvp/wvw template.Before you had 3 hidden templates, one for pve, one of pvp, one for wvw.

When they switched, they revealed all 3, but pvp doesn't have an equipment template, because we have the pvp interface instead. This is why there are 3 build templates and 2 equipment templates. The "third" one is the PVP amulet/rune/sigil panel.

Guys, the only thing we got from this was the 6 account-bound build storage slots. Everything else was already ingame.

Yes, exactly what I am saying, and the new system of doing it is more clunky at times since it saves any changes you make as part of the template

@"MoXAriApph.3650" said:I think my main concern is the fact that any and all upsides to the idea of templates have been turned upside-down in this implementation.

Features expected of templates:

Build templates should promote freedom in building your character.
This is currently the main issue everyone has, you have a limit to build templates and it's so
arbitrarily low
that it's ridiculous.
There shouldn't be a limit on how many templates a person can have. The price should also be lowered to match the unlimited templates.
If Arenanet/NCSoft is looking for monetization, this is a full on win win for both parties, the data for a template/build is relatively nothing compared to a full new character and data storage is unbelievably cheap. This just seems like the most inane and archaic way to go about this system.

Templates will SAVE a build, not BE your build.
Traits are saved to the template, rather than your build, this isn't how it should be designed whatsoever.It defeats the purpose entirely and makes swapping less convenient for small trait swaps.

Game modes should be split.
You guys dropped the ball on this one the most.Just the other day you dropped two new teams for PvP and WvW, that way you could coordinate and design properly, but in build templates you actively go against that design philosophy.By making it so that templates are not split across game-modes, you make people have to buy an entirely new character or manually swap literally everything.

Example:
Player X likes playing PvE, he has 2 builds on one character. This is entirely fine for normal gameplay.Player Y likes playing Raids and WvW, she has 3 builds for raid and 3 builds for WvW on one character. This is also fine for normal gameplay.

Lets Assume Player Y has a Guardian.PvE has Healbrand, Condi Quickbrand and Tankbrand as viable options, but Player Y doesn't use Power Quickbrand or DH in Raids, due to her own reasons, doesn't matter.Player Y in WvW uses Healbrand, TankHealbrand, and uses the last slot for a DH roaming/dueling meme/fun build.

Overall this is 6 builds, none of them are excessive and the traits/gear are massively different between each iteration.

What if Player Y wants to play PvP? Thats an entirely new build/gear template that is entirely different than the 6 builds mentioned beforehand.Why is Player Y being punished suddenly for actively enjoying and purchasing slots?

Legendary Armor should have upsides compared to Normal Gear.
Templates currently turn this idea around, you're punished for using legendaries on multiple characters and

Monetization should make sense and be productive for both the consumer and provider.
As it stands right now, buying build storage is absolutely useless, notepad will literally store your build for you.This makes absolutely no sense from any standpoint,
you're actively preying on people who will just press buy because it's an option and they don't know better.

Overall I'm glad that build templates are finally in-game, i'm not glad that it came in such a messed up and backwards way.
This is genuinely a letdown for any hardcore / semi hardcore player, which, by the way,
are the communities who will use this the most.
Count me out for promoting or liking this system, it has so many flaws I'm just turned off by it entirely at this point.

Leading me to my last point, you guys have consistently in the past year been shooting yourselves in the foot.If you want to genuinely understand what the community wants, actually ask them and be transparent, this is ridiculous.Stop pretending you understand your players and stop sitting in a bubble, because it only goes downhill from here,
you're not immune to backlash because you've survived it so many times before.

Thank you for articulating this so well, I agree totally

I'm glad it's here, but I'm disappointed at how it's being marketed and launched.

You guys are the same Arena Net who launched GW1. I get that this game is functionally and philosophically different than its predecessor. However, being in essence the same company that launched a better and free version of this feature is a great shame.

I sympathize with being under NCsoft's unyielding yoke to a point. I'm just sad to see you guys compromise with them on your marketing strategy.

Edit: Actually, I just realized that a ton of people who were originally with the company are no longer here, not even including the layoffs. However plenty of them have stayed, Mike Z for example has been with a net since 2006, a good chunk of Guild Wars 1 is known to him. So... yeah. Not a good look here.

I will try to be matter of fact but here is what I see

1. You need to provide 3 equip tabs for 3 build tabs that is what you had when swapping between wvw, pve, and pvp. anything less means you actually took something away when you gave the basic build
  2. you need to be able to designate one build for each game type wvw, pve, and pvp. if you don't you basically took away a QOL and made it more work than not.
  3. You need to be able to link build and equipment tabs otherwise again you took away a function that was used when swapping between game types.
  4. You need to not auto save changes to builds when testing. builds are there to be static I need to know when I swap to a build that its what I started with. basically saved template changes can only be saved by a save button.
  5. its completely over priced even your combo is not put together, and for the record no one cares about the following items, transmutation charges, heroic boosters, makeover kits. what you put in as bonus' are almost as bad as if you gave us a blacklion ticket scrap.

overall its clunky it doesn't provide anything new to players who use different game types and actually stole functionality from it

I as a general rule would open between 100 and 200 black lion chests a month, make cosmetic purchases, but what I can tell you is that you thought short money not long money. I will use up the rest of the Gems I have on these templates and it will work out to about $30 per character to get them where they should be and then you will never, ever get another dime out of me. I would rather pay a subscription fee and get good content and QOL upgrades.

I am not going to quit the game because I have a lot of friends in the community and actually get some enjoyment out of it but you just lost the support of one big whale. great job ANET

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:First I want to give Arenanet a sincere Thank You because we've been asking for this for a very long time. The template system is great.

Secondly I want to say to the player base Calm Down. Right now everyone is logging in and freaking out after the first 30 seconds that they view the new system. I've heard a lot of comments that pretty much add up to: "It's not what I expected!" Well what did you guys expect? Do you even know?

At any rate, I think that by the end of the week after everyone has grown accustomed to the new system, they'll be glad it was implemented.

As far as direct feedback goes:~ I'm not seeing anything wrong with this system. Everything about it seems really convenient for the way I play the game.

Lmao u take every prize in this game in a bad way

As much as I agree with the build templates, I think the equipment storage needs work, if you want to move a legendary armor piece to another character, you need to INDIVIDUALLY remove each equipment piece per build template equipment slot. I just think if you manually drag the armor piece to inventory it removes it from every template while removing runes from said templates.

The biggest thing I'm having an issue with is switching between PvE and PvP. Got to play my first match since this update with my PvE build because, I didn't realise the auto switch wouldn't happen anymore. This is a major hassle as I mostly queue from PvE, so I can do ting whilst I'm waiting.

Also noticed that if a weapon was part of an equipment template, it became invisible to the specific PvP build menu, unless you removed it from the template.

I have played this game since launch, very much enjoy it and often speak highly of Arenanet and Guild Wars 2.

I cannot do either today. This system has been implemented in an extremely lazy and offensively monetised fashion. I am more than happy to pay towards the upkeep of this game (I bought 2000 gems to day in preparation for spending some money on templates) but I am not at all happy about giving you guys any kind of financial endorsement for this. It's really ruined my enthusiasm to play today as it feels like you've vandalised a game I enjoy.

• For someone like myself who plays PVE, PVE and WVW I've actually gained nothing. The three 'free' build slots are now occupied by one of my PVE builds, my PVP build and my WVW build. I now have the added hassle of having to manually switch between them whereas I didn't before. Backwards step.
  • You really should have given people three equipment tabs to go with the three build tabs. This is an offensively brazen cash grab.
  • Triple layer paywalls is greedy and extremely unfriendly to your customers. The high prices just makes this worse; even you got a build slot and an equipment slot as one 500 gems would be really pricey. Buy this, and this, and this! All to achieve one effect? That's awful design. I'd expect this of EA but it's really disappointing to see you guys stoop so low.
  • Your whole game encourages alts, and part of the fun is playing different builds and different classes. People who have supported the game in the past and bought extra character slots have been punished here, not rewarded as the cost of applying the upgrades to each of them is astronomical.

I am more than happy to pay for extra slots on some of my truly excessive characters. I thought 2000 gems to give some love to my main three would be sufficient but this greedy system isn't even good.

What was the point of giving us a preview if not to get feedback from the player base? Why get feedback if Anet is just going to ignore it? I mean ffs, they didn't even increase the max number of slots, the topic of so many forum posts. It's absurd. Same story with the outrageous pricing.

The obtuseness of these decisions is dumbfounding. This is truly the first time I'm absolutely irate at Anet. No more money for you guys. You lost a loyal customer today.

The biggest problem from my point of view are useless equipement templates, which cannot be saved and I need to destroy every one whenever I want to move my account bound equipement to other character. I don't really care about saved inventory slots, as this is not QoL really. With ArcDPS I was able to unequip items, move them to another character, them move them back and load whole build with all the items in place when they were in my inventory. Now this is completely not possible.

At first I tought that the system was just overpriced but now I'm realizing that it's really really bad. It's been divided in 3 parts for outrageous monetization:

1. The "build templates" are not templates, they are "snapshots", a temporary instance of what should be a template
  2. The "account templates" are what a template should be: saved and fixed, loadable on a need basis on a build templates
  3. "Gear templates", that should be the most important feature, can't be saved to a fixed state and reloaded!

Its complete kitten regarding to everyone that wasted their time and gold for crappy legendary gear.I should have stayed with my multiple ascended gears.

Gear-Templates = not that goodAccount-Wide build templates = complete garbageCharacter build templates = would be ok if PvP-Templates would be seperate and wouldnt waste a slot