Guild Wars 1 Back to Life? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Guild Wars 1 Back to Life?

To start off I know this is a Guild Wars 2 forum but, there seems to be a ton of people using this forum so I thought it might get a bit more attention on here.

I'm sure many of you have enjoyed Guild Wars 1 in some way shape or form but a huge part of the Guild Wars 2 community grew up with Guild Wars 1 as I did and we truly loved that amazing game. I still constantly find myself thinking about all the great memories I had ranging from things such as doing Droks run's for fellow players, Running Desert tours, Farming Ecto's, playing loads of PvP, and just straight up enjoying the story line missions. I myself have always considered Guild Wars 1 to be a masterpiece of a game and I am upset to see that there just aren't many people left playing this wonderful game. I realize that people have gone to Guild Wars 2 but I just don't seem to be pulled into that game as I was in the first one. I think that the art style in the game is absolutely beautiful but I feel that the focus was to much in the art and not enough in the game play. For Guild Wars 1 the art was pretty good, but the game play was far superior and that is what grabbed a lot of us.

I know this is truly a shot in the dark in asking this question but is there any way ArenaNet that we could perhaps see a remastered version of Guild Wars 1? I know this is a huge question to ask and I honestly don't really expect it to happen, however if it does I know that there is a huge community that you would be bringing back if it were to happen myself included. The world and the music were just the perfect combo and I know that I have found myself getting lost in the cities just day dreaming about lands of Tyria. I really felt for all the characters and was sad to see something bad happen to any of them. It was just spectacular in every way.

I don't wish to be mean at all but I just feel that Guild Wars 2 went downhill from Guild Wars 1. I think that it could have been done a lot better. We have seen the talent that you have from the creation of your first game and we know the talent is there. If there are any others who agree with me or disagree please let me hear about it and perhaps if this makes enough attention they may possibly consider taking on this project.

Anyways thanks for all the amazing work you have done and I hope to see it continue on for many years.

Comments

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't understand what you're actually asking for here. How would a remastered version of GW1 work? Would it be a separate game, or use the same servers as the existing game?

What would be the same and what would be different? Are you just asking for updated graphics, or more changes?

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

• Danikat,
    I'm not to sure exactly how it would work, I suppose this is just a lot of nostalgia coming from myself. I just think it would be really neat to see the world of Tyria in Guild Wars 1 to be heavily populated again. It would be nice to see a huge update to the game perhaps artistically and a bit of floor map editing (such as when walking close to a rock you don't just run into a wall when you are not that close to it.)

Illconceived Was Na,
    You have a lot of very interesting points. Your absolutely right that if it were to get remastered it could in fact make me think worse of it. We all have different views of the game and your correct in saying that what one approves of may not approve with others. I also wouldn't want the developers to be incredibly unhappy with what they are doing and I would never want to ask them to do something that is incredibly time consuming and tedious. It's true that rather then revising what has been done it is a much greater feeling to have created your own work of art from scratch rather than edit what has already been made. I suppose I didn't put as much thought into this as I should have. It looks like all the nostalgia just took me over haha.

I love what you both had to say!

• don't think there has ever been a remaster mmo.

• i just load up normal its just as good gfx maybe not but gw1 was never about gfx from the get go.

Tarnished Coast resident for 6 years. Teknowledgy/Engineer, Teknowledge/Ranger, Warlord Of Ascalon/Warrior, Massari Kundalini/Revenant, Semmi Ghostep/Thief, Lord of Deth/Necromancer, Beasty Cabbage/Guardian, Mesmarista/Mesmer, Lei Moon/Elementalist, Guild: Legion of Deth (DETH)

• Opopanax.1803Opopanax.1803 Member ✭✭✭

Would buy!

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Chrios.1408 said:
    I know this is truly a shot in the dark in asking this question but is there any way ArenaNet that we could perhaps see a remastered version of Guild Wars 1?

This has been asked many times, and the answer has always been "No."

P.S. I miss many aspects from GW1 in GW2 as well, so I share your sentiment.

• PopeUrban.2578PopeUrban.2578 Member ✭✭✭

It'll never happen, but I'd happily pay full price for a visual remaster of GW1, for each expansion, even without new audio.

All the perks, none of the responsibilities.
    PopeUrban - The Papacy [POPE]
    Dude in Charge, Chief Financier, and Cave-Polisher
    It's really just a club for lazy people! Join today and get big-guild services with no-guild schedules!

• If the effort was made to visually remaster just to bring it slightly into the future awesome, but yes unlikely. Spyro finally got his, so i,ll retain some hope it could happen. I cannot say I would want them to touch much else than that anyway. its a golden classic for all time and its skill system is what kept me at it for many many years, whilst i didn't quite attach myself to gw2 it's still well built just like its soul that begun it all.

• I'd love to see a remastered/reworked GW1. I don't think it will happen. As mentioned earlier at what point do you limit "improvements"? Do you update movement to include jumping? I know Anet would love to disable point and click movement (it makes bot movement easier). Do you include any features from GW2; TP, dye system. gliding, mounts, rez system, multiple currencies, Magic Find....? One misstep that Anet made was not finding a way to create an environment similar to Pre in GW2. Pre was and appears still to be a very popular feature in GW1.

But we'll probably never see a remade GW1, one of the traps with reminiscing is we forget the warts, standing around a city trying to sell something and having little idea of the value, shouting for hours the items you hoped to sell, the MM that warped out leaving his minions to turn on the party, the over eager Wammo who needed constant rezzing....

• I'd love to see a remastered/reworked GW1. I don't think it will happen. As mentioned earlier at what point do you limit "improvements"? Do you update movement to include jumping? I know Anet would love to disable point and click movement (it makes bot movement easier). Do you include any features from GW2; TP, dye system. gliding, mounts, rez system, multiple currencies, Magic Find....? One misstep that Anet made was not finding a way to create an environment similar to Pre in GW2. Pre was and appears still to be a very popular feature in GW1.

But we'll probably never see a remade GW1, one of the traps with reminiscing is we forget the warts, standing around a city trying to sell something and having little idea of the value, shouting for hours the items you hoped to sell, the MM that warped out leaving his minions to turn on the party, the over eager Wammo who needed constant rezzing....

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

I would like events to get AB parties or JQ/FA. I miss them so much, I often wish we had something like it (not wvw)
    But a re-make? You wanna re-make perfection?
    won't happen.

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

@PopeUrban.2578 said:
    It'll never happen, but I'd happily pay full price for a visual remaster of GW1, for each expansion, even without new audio.

The question is: how many more players would be willing to pay full price for a visual remaster, and if they would be enough to justify the gigantic cost of such an update, plus keep the game well populated for a long time afterwards.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

The question is: how many more players would be willing to pay full price for a visual remaster, and if they would be enough to justify the gigantic cost of such an update, plus keep the game well populated for a long time afterwards.

Personally, i think the visuals are one of the last things in need of remastering for GW1 (apart from the giraffe necks perhaps). Which is, by the way, one more point to the argument that remastering is not likely to make everyone happy. All the people that would like it would really want something different out of it.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• @minion.1987 said:
    don't think there has ever been a remaster mmo.

Except FFXIV i think ? But that was a very special case.
    I'd love to see a small team at Arenanet (and not just one guy ^^) devoted to make a visual overhaul, like reworking animations, textures, add graphical effects, etc.
    But how likely is that kind of thing to happen ?

Doug Warobaz - Norn To Be Alive [NtbA]

• perilisk.1874perilisk.1874 Member ✭✭✭✭

Maybe they need to release a mobile version of GW1, heh heh.

• Mathias.9657Mathias.9657 Member ✭✭✭

GW1 does not need enhanced graphics, just a team of developers. GW2 team don't care about the original GW and probably have no clue how its mechanics works. All the original devs left for some stupid zombie game I remember seeing them leave ANet like every other week on gwguru..

That game was totally abandoned by all its devs for whatever reason. It's really a waste of top tier mechanics, if GW existed in current esports with how big streaming is now it would be #1 pvp game guarantee'd. Too bad all GW pvpers had to move on to LoL or w/e moba for decent pvp.

MESMER MAIN SPOTTED

• @Mathias.9657 said:
    GW1 does not need enhanced graphics, just a team of developers. GW2 team don't care about the original GW and probably have no clue how its mechanics works. All the original devs left for some stupid zombie game I remember seeing them leave ANet like every other week on gwguru..

That game was totally abandoned by all its devs for whatever reason. It's really a waste of top tier mechanics, if GW existed in current esports with how big streaming is now it would be #1 pvp game guarantee'd. Too bad all GW pvpers had to move on to LoL or w/e moba for decent pvp.

Funny, I wonder who took their own time to update Guild Wars (One) in recent months, then. [Pro-tip: It was GW2 Dev(s).]
    Thus, it wasn't "totally abandoned".

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Warobaz.9543 said:

@minion.1987 said:

Except FFXIV i think ? But that was a very special case.
    I'd love to see a small team at Arenanet (and not just one guy ^^) devoted to make a visual overhaul, like reworking animations, textures, add graphical effects, etc.
    But how likely is that kind of thing to happen ?

FF XIV wasn't remastered. It was redone completely because of a very bad launch with some questionable design decisions. They went completely back to the drawing board to make the game viable. They didn't remaster the game. They rebuild the game from the ground up.

• I feel your sentiment. was sort of a gw1 addict, and loved it to death 8-)
    When i first played gw2 i actualy quit for more then half a year before picking it up again.

Dont think it needs any grafical updates, gw1 is a good game in its own rights.
    Must say last time i tried to do uw again (after years not playing it) with a group i failed hard because of pressing wrong buttons and stuff 8-)

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2018

Remasters are typically just bug fixes, rebalances, and graphic improvements to the original games. Rarely, it'd include new content. This makes it rather pointless to do for an online game that is still playing, by name at least, since by any other name it'd just be a balance patch or DLC.

GW1 incidentally did get a graphic improvement, in a way, a few months back in June. Probably not quite what OP wants, but likely the best that we'd get without money being required to access it.

• Henry.5713Henry.5713 Member ✭✭✭✭

@minion.1987 said:

Agreed. Even during the wave of remastered games and all of the milking of classics companies are doing these days that seems very unlikely. Coming out at a profit with a remastered MMORPG seems even more so unlikely. There is a reason why they usually pick RTS classics where this is far easier to do at a much lower cost and a far larger potential playbase.

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something. ~ Robert Heinlein

• I've been playing again myself with a few friends on stream and we enjoy the nostalgia a lot.
    Not so much to be asking for a remaster but still it's fun to play with friends, by yourself it could get a bit boring since there are almost no other people anymore in the cities or maybe 1 person if you are lucky.

Still we had a great time and if you would love to join us or get that nostalgia feeling back come join us on our stream.

some gw1 mission walkthroughs:

or youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3nV4fIKH2Ip1eYaKqg6L9Q

• BlueJin.4127BlueJin.4127 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019

Ah, yes. GW1. Love it. One of my favorite games of all time. A graphical update would be awesome even if it's just for players' characters.

Personally, the one thing I truly want for GW1 is better profession balance for heroes. I think the easiest way to do this is to let heroes use PVE skills (and nerf Save Yourselves to like 50 armor). I'd definitely use all heroes then. Right now, I just don't use W, A, and P heroes. R heroes, I only use when my party has a lot of martial buffs. When used by players, all professions are good, thanks in part to PVE skills. I've seen some players claim that some professions aren't viable for playing with heroes, but I went through WoC HM on all professions with only heroes and no cons and no profession stood out as unviable for playing with heroes. Players just need to play to their profession's strength. But I digress.

^^

• @SlimSmoking.8364 said:
    by yourself it could get a bit boring since there are almost no other people anymore in the cities or maybe 1 person if you are lucky.

Jump to the US servers which is where folk tend to play. During festivals cities can be rammed still!

• GW1 was my first MMORPG. It was very much a game that I played with my friends. There are aspects of it that I miss, but also some that I don't.

When GW2 came out we migrated to it and have been enjoying it ever since. I still log-in to GW1 every now and then to check out how things were, but keep coming back to GW2.

The crux of the situation is time. There's a saying that we only have two commodities: time and money, and we are trading one and/or the other for things we enjoy. I believe that we only have one commodity: time, which we use for everything we do. Fundamentally, we trade time for money, so our time is the only commodity that we actually have.

The most useful thing I gleaned from Economics is the principle of scarcity, which basically states having one finite item means not having other item(s). Time is truly finite - once spent we never get it back. As I have aged, I have learned to appreciate the time I have and be careful with how I spend it.

Back to the topic, time spent playing GW1 means time spent not doing something else (e.g. playing GW2 or another game, eating, sleeping, relaxing, working, etc). In terms of nostalgia, I do miss playing GW1, but have found that I prefer playing GW2 (as do others who have moved on from there, hence the smaller player base). Also, ANet has limited resources - so they need to focus on what they think will the best of their time for the future of ANet.

As has been previously mentioned, GW2 has grown from GW1. I love how ANet has brought things from GW1 and incorporated them on to GW2. I hope that they do the same when they move onto GW3. Unfortunately, that will mean that the GW2 player base will decrease as players migrate to GW3.

So enjoy the nostalgia! Enjoy whatever version you happen to playing! Spend your time as you feel best!

• Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭

TBH GW1 was ahead of the curve in many ways and it will always have a place in my collection.. as for remastering, nah its a lot of undertaking which at the end of it could risk both games.
    But that said, an update to the character movement could be interesting, maybe adding jump and dodge, but hey even that takes a lot more work than it looks at first glance, a lot more.

Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

Ditto. <3

• TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭

I hope the OP knows that GW1 Did get a few very nice visual improvements last year.

Improved draw distance, new graphics settings, field of view controls and fixes for ultrawide displays, always use 3D models for distant objects instead of 2D textures. It looks amazing!

Ascalon Will Prevail!

GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

• Burnfall.9573Burnfall.9573 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:
    I hope the OP knows that GW1 Did get a few very nice visual improvements last year.

Improved draw distance, new graphics settings, field of view controls and fixes for ultrawide displays, always use 3D models for distant objects instead of 2D textures. It looks amazing!

indeed
    (I encourage everyone to take a look and to come and join us with the Legend)-you will not regret it

side note---
    Long Live The King Of Guild Wars

'-The Best 'DEAD' MMORPG Worth PLAYING in 2018! [Guild Wars 1]-'- Obviously--Yeah!!

'Over a decade old, and still one of the most unique and engaging MMORPGs out there. In an era where most MMOs coming out feel soulless and haven't changed up the formula a lot, the Guild Wars 1 Trilogy offers a world bursting with beauty and variety, all supported by an incredible story.'

• Please Anet listen to the fans . Listen to what the people actually like and bring back a remastered version. I totally am on the same page with the person who posted this !

• Grim West.3194Grim West.3194 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019

GW1 MOBILE! Do it!

Heheh. I'm sure it's harder to do than it sounds. Might even be next to impossible. But if they could put GW1 on mobile I would definitely buy a copy.

Would buy a remaster too. Loved GW1.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@sereniity seven.5603 said:
    Please Anet listen to the fans . Listen to what the people actually like and bring back a remastered version. I totally am on the same page with the person who posted this !

No, Anet, do not listen to the very small minority of players who want to re-allocate time, money and other resources to a game well past its prime instead of continuing to build content for the current iteration of the franchise. I am not even in the same bookstore as the person who posted this!

I understand the nostalgia, but no one here speaks for "the people" and what they "actually like". I'm a fan, too, but I don't want Anet going down the path that is advocated here.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• @kharmin.7683 said:

Please Anet listen to the fans . Listen to what the people actually like and bring back a remastered version. I totally am on the same page with the person who posted this !

No, Anet, do not listen to the very small minority of players who want to re-allocate time, money and other resources to a game well past its prime instead of continuing to build content for the current iteration of the franchise. I am not even in the same bookstore as the person who posted this!

I understand the nostalgia, but no one here speaks for "the people" and what they "actually like". I'm a fan, too, but I don't want Anet going down the path that is advocated here.
    your really ignorant . Some people Like gw1 and some like gw2 . Your point is ?

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:

Ok, first calling me ignorant is not a good way to bolster your argument. Also, it is quite crass. Please don't do that.

My point is that you are asking Anet to listen to "the fans" as if the only fans are those who like GW1. You do not speak for every fan of the franchise and certainly do not speak for me. I do not want them to spend any additional time or effort on GW1 because, as a fan, I enjoy GW2 and would prefer Anet to spend their resources on the current game.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Lincolnbeard.1735Lincolnbeard.1735 Member ✭✭✭✭

@minion.1987 said:

The Secret World

• Emberstone.2904Emberstone.2904 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019

@kharmin.7683 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:

Ok, first calling me ignorant is not a good way to bolster your argument. Also, it is quite crass. Please don't do that.

My point is that you are asking Anet to listen to "the fans" as if the only fans are those who like GW1. You do not speak for every fan of the franchise and certainly do not speak for me. I do not want them to spend any additional time or effort on GW1 because, as a fan, I enjoy GW2 and would prefer Anet to spend their resources on the current game.

Guild Wars 1 isn't taking any development time from GW2 at all. The devs that do work on it do it in their free time (they have mentioned this repeatedly).

I am not in favor of a remaster since GW1 is perfect as it is, but I am completely in favor of updates to GW1 wherever they can be justified because I still play GW1 far more than GW2. No joke, the recent storage and AI update they did is one of the best updates in the game's history, and they've teased even more awesome stuff to come. They said it's unlikely due to time/resource constraints (see: free time/pet project), but if they could manage the long-awaited Paragon rework (or at least some desperately-needed buffs [healing chants are so bad right now]), that would make me one happy camper.

Since they do all of this off the clock, it's nothing you should object to.

And actually, with that storage update they added more storage panes to the store and a new GW1 bundle with all campaigns and EotN for $40 (previously EotN was separate). Anet getting some cash on the side for these guys' free work should make you happy.

• Leablo.2651Leablo.2651 Member ✭✭✭

Bringing GW1 up to modern graphics standards would involve the same issues that GW2 has run into with regard to threading optimization. I don't foresee any remaster of GW1 while GW2 is still on a threadbound engine. As it stands, I'd rather have a downgrade option for GW2 if it meant the ability to preserve frame rates.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.