DirectX 11 Graphics Issues

For some reason yesterday I could play the game in fullscreen but today after trying different option, it stays in windowed fullscreen even though fullscreen is selected and even after restarting the game, unfortunately that breaks text font for me as I mentioned above and its very hard to read for me

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2023 at 3:55 AM, voodoo.7412 said:

add a shortcut to gw2.exe right clic on the shortcut then proprities on target add -DX9 (...../...../Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe" -dx9) then start the game from that shortcut

worked for guild m8s who have that issue.

it worked for me, ty for your help.

Hope Anet will fix all graphic iusse on DX11 soon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

With the Nvidia GTX 950M, I'm having an incredibly eye-tiring gaming experience.  I tried everything and no improvement.  this is truly devastating.  Now I understand that this game;  12 years is what made it playable directx 9. i started to spend less time every day directx 11 is the worst option i have ever seen in my life

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, WolfkhaN.5032 said:

With the Nvidia GTX 950M, I'm having an incredibly eye-tiring gaming experience.  I tried everything and no improvement.  this is truly devastating.  Now I understand that this game;  12 years is what made it playable directx 9. i started to spend less time every day directx 11 is the worst option i have ever seen in my life

Dude, it's a GTX 950m from the year 1893.

• Confused 3

10 hours ago, WolfkhaN.5032 said:

Updated the Nvidia driver?

Is the problem with the post-processing being on despite setting it to none?

I really hope they fix the resolution quickly. Game is literally unplayable with weird looking font if I play in windowed fullscreen and since tuesday actual fullscreen doesnt work. And it has been a week....

Edit: It also makes text like names or players, npcs, objects not bright enough as it used to be so its even harder to read

Edit2: I managed to fix it but I have to run game in directx9 again, once I do that I can change resolution to whatever I want and font is just as it used to be.

Edited by Cernoch.8524

For 2 weeks game pushes my 1060GTX to the max, GPU and fan is blasting at 100%, lower setting a mix and medium and high, still blasting, all settings on low and it will occasionally blast at 100%, all drivers are up to date,  even NVME has latest firmware.

Ryzen 3700x

16gb ram

1060GTX

Game is on Samsung 970 pro

Prior to 2 weeks ago, I could max all the settings, GPU and fan speed wouldn't even reach 70%.

Your game is actively trying to kill my GPU, it's true i need to upgrade but kitten Anet fix this.

• Haha 1

I liked Ben Dunkin's post. I expected something like "we know it causes crash to some players, but it's only few people, we'll go ahead". Instead they'll monitor the situation/how many crashes they have, which is good. But now I'm torn between keep using -coherent -dx9 (and playing like before) or using the standard launcher (and having continuous crashes during metas or pvp arenas. Yesterday while I was simply using the tp). Will these options (-coherent -dx9) be available also in the future? I don't mind losing the links in the launcher.

Isn't it amazing how the developers tell users it's time to move on from DX9, cause it's been out for a decade.

But they haven't been able to use that decade to actually develop a playable game client.

The irony is beyond reproach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

The Dx9 command line is still working. Is this because Dx9 is still in the game code as they've mentioned in the spring update or is it drawing that from the OS or from Dx11? I'm having issues with the visuals in 11 and it's making me sick and dizzy. My card is a few years old but absolutely compatible with Dx11. Anyone know?

Edited by sunlightandroses.8490
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, sunlightandroses.8490 said:

The Dx9 command line is still working. Is this because Dx9 is still in the game code as they've mentioned in the spring update or is it drawing that from the OS or from Dx11? I'm having issues with the visuals in 11 and it's making me sick and dizzy. My card is a few years old but absolutely compatible with Dx11. Anyone know?

More likely the option is still a part of the CLI launch options and just either is ignored or redirects to DX11. Pretty common practice in all of tech... usually as a way to roll back changes if necessary until they are sure they don't need the option at all anymore.

Also usually done so that a deprecated/discontinued option doesn't break someone's launcher/scripts/Steam launch options/etc when the option is removed

Edited by EagleDelta.4726
clarification

4 hours ago, EagleDelta.4726 said:

More likely the option is still a part of the CLI launch options and just either is ignored or redirects to DX11. Pretty common practice in all of tech... usually as a way to roll back changes if necessary until they are sure they don't need the option at all anymore.

Also usually done so that a deprecated/discontinued option doesn't break someone's launcher/scripts/Steam launch options/etc when the option is removed

Interesting. They are going to dismantle dx9 code in the game so they don't need it anymore. It is doing something though. It allows the game to run on true full screen instead of the windowed full screen we get in Dx11. I'm just hoping it remains the same after the code is removed.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Swamp.9206 said:

I never used to have issues with DX11 had it on since it was beta but recently over past couple weeks i've been getting horrendous texture tearing/screen tearing all over the place when moving the camera. FPS is irrelevant (appears at way below my monitors refresh rate and way above) it just appears in some areas and not others (pavilion is the worst while mistlock is a non issue, Dragonfall fine but auric basin awful etc.) turning vsync on fixes it mostly but makes everything laggy as hell and it never used to be a problem before. Doesn't show on recordings or screenshots so had to record on phone.

I saw here how to swap back to DX9 and its perfectly fine on that same areas same settings no issues at all so it has to be a DX11 problem that's sprouted up out of nowhere. No other game I play I get this issue. All drivers upgraded, repaired client etc.

You got vsync on?  Fullscreen or borderless?

Edit: Sorry, just saw your mention about vsync.  Have you tried Nvidia's adaptive vsync?  You can try having vsync off but capping FPS to 60.

Edited by Chaba.5410

On 4/18/2023 at 10:55 PM, voodoo.7412 said:

add a shortcut to gw2.exe right clic on the shortcut then proprities on target add -DX9 (...../...../Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe" -dx9) then start the game from that shortcut

worked for guild m8s who have that issue.

Thank you very much, it seems to work fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently came back to the game and immediately noticed input lag through mouse/keyboard. Turns out the -dx9 startup command solved this issue. But now it's hard to ignore the smoothness dx11 brought to the gameplay. I've checked vsync settings both in-game and through Nvidia's control panel yet input remains sluggish with these off. I don't have this issue with any other game running dx11. For now I will continue to run dx9 due to its responsiveness and snappy movement, but hopefully this can be looked into by development.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone crashing with bsod by Memory Management error code?
Was happening only with GW2, the problem is simple, the game was trying access more memory of my gpu than what was available, this is happening with some games using DX11 and GPUs with 4GB VRAM. Idk if is a issue with the game and the engine  but is what was crashing here like the old 32-bits client, now looks like the issue happening too with GPUs.

• 2 weeks later...

Resolution with dx11 still not fixed, fullscreen still runs game in windowed fullscreen, blurry text even though I use same screen resolution. It works just fine when I run the game with dx9 and fullscreen works...why is it not fixed after so many months after forcing players to play with dx11?