DirectX 11 Graphics Issues

Last few days i keep getting black rock models (especially in Gyala Delve) and sometimes the platforms at the end of the first meta are missing. Also from time to time during meta's certain effects from spells and the particle effects from mounts also turn black. Also a few times that my mount is completely invisible and that's not happening due to a spell. I problem i never had before. edit (posted it here since i have seen a few other threads in the past about dx11 seemingly be the cause of it)

Edited by asuran.2178

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Meiga.8537 said:

Oh my goodness .... a big cry 😭

The trick of voodoo.7412, adding -9dx to gw2 shortcut, doesn't work anymore. Blurry graphics are back again by starting the game in the "normal" way. 

Any solutions? Please help!

I also have the problem of blurry fonts and extremely saturated colors, to the point that they hurt my eyes.  It's only GW2, not any other games.  I know about turning off postprocessing in the graphics options, which helps a little but not much.  Please help!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Meiga.8537 said:

Oh my goodness .... a big cry 😭

The trick of voodoo.7412, adding -9dx to gw2 shortcut, doesn't work anymore. Blurry graphics are back again by starting the game in the "normal" way. 

Any solutions? Please help!

Disable any display or font scaling. Disable AA or select a different anti-aliasing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Okay, after the newest patch, i can say that the solution with the creating a shortcut and putting "-dx9" doesnt work anymore.. at least for me. And this pisses me off so much, it was all fine, but today it gave me a crash report, it doesnt even want to start the game from the shortcut.. and not gonna mention the normal client where everything is so shady and black, its just unplayable as hell! Please if someone has a solution for that, continue the topic.. :(((((((((((((

Unfortunately this also doesnt work and the game remains the same unplayable. Thank you for your tip anyway!

7 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Disable any display or font scaling. Disable AA or select a different anti-aliasing.

Here is my crash report:

*--> Crash <--*
Assertion: No valid case for switch variable 'grInterface'
File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Arena\Engine\Gr\Windows\GrWindow.cpp(1084)
App: Gw2-64.exe 
Pid: 2744
BaseAddr: 00007FF662FC0000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 148760
When: 2023-07-19T09:30:22Z 2023-07-19T12:30:22+03:00
Uptime:   0 days  0:00:11
Flags: 0
DumpFile: Crash.dmp

Edited by SimonMVP.4097
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Same here! I sent the whole crap of files to support.

It's a free lasering of my eyes. I don't need my glasses after a couple hours of playing. The game is totally oversaturated.

Please Anet help us out!!!!

Edited by Meiga.8537
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

I have the same issues, I am now looking into getting a different monitor to see if that changes anything (for the better), otherwise I will not be playing anymore as being nauseous all day long is not what I consider a pro for my gaming experiences.

Edited by cosyfiep.9081
been should be being silly typo
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

So, following your announcement of discontinuing support for-dx9, how do you suggest we deal with the DX11 issues that so many people are reporting of extremely oversaturated colors, blurry fonts, etc.?  I have turned off postprocessing, turned down gamma, adjusted shaders -- does not help.  The colors are so extreme that they make me nauseous.  I play MANY computer games and GW2 is the only one with this issue.  If there's no fix (a new graphics card or a new rig is not in my budget), I will have to stop playing.  You knew this was an issue back in April when the same thing happened yet we could use the -dx9 command line.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

So, following your announcement of discontinuing support for-dx9, how do you suggest we deal with the DX11 issues that so many people are reporting of extremely oversaturated colors, blurry fonts, etc.?  I have turned off postprocessing, turned down gamma, adjusted shaders -- does not help.  The colors are so extreme that they make me nauseous.  I play MANY computer games and GW2 is the only one with this issue.  If there's no fix (a new graphics card or a new rig is not in my budget), I will have to stop playing.  You knew this was an issue back in April when the same thing happened yet we could use the -dx9 command line.

me too. right now I can play for a few minutes and then I have to stop (today I took a 2 hour nap to make it stop--cant do that all the time). Guess they really did not think this one through. Many of us can not afford to buy a new computer or even a new graphics card ---they probably dont think we add much to their coffers??? They have offered no alternatives to this either so for a goodly number of us this means the end of the gw2 line and they have had since April to come up with something (and the something they came up with was cutting us off????)

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, cosyfiep.9081 said:

me too. right now I can play for a few minutes and then I have to stop (today I took a 2 hour nap to make it stop--cant do that all the time). Guess they really did not think this one through. Many of us can not afford to buy a new computer or even a new graphics card ---they probably dont think we add much to their coffers??? They have offered no alternatives to this either so for a goodly number of us this means the end of the gw2 line and they have had since April to come up with something (and the something they came up with was cutting us off????)

I'm sorry you are feeling sick from the graphics too.  I did find something that helps a tiny bit -- I have an Nvidia card, and I can go into the Nvidia Control Panel (NCP) and turn down color saturation.  But that doesn't help with the blurry fonts, plus it makes every other game and application look bad, so if I want to play GW2 I'll have to go back and forth every day with the NCP.  Far from ideal.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I too have issues with this... colours over-saturated regardless of what suggested adjustments made.    The over-saturation literally triggers my migraines so really makes playing the game next to impossible.    This has nothing to do with my computer as this system was just purchased a couple months ago.   Gw2 is the only game that is giving me issues, so the problem lies with the game and the terrible choices the devs made pushing this through.    Are they trying to get people to quit the game?   its really the only reason I can see why they keep making these terrible decisions.    I had zero issues running the ~dx9, but now the game looks like kitten.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

They're too busy changing the content and payment model to benefit themselves more financially (and frequently) than to start acknowledging bugs they've routinely abandoned for over a decade. Outside of story content, every other single aspect of GW2 has been heavily neglected for too long.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you: a business.

I do have a suspicion (regarding the DX11 bloom issue), and I'm not a developer myself, that since DX9 bloom worked just fine when turned on (not excessive) and DX11 didn't, that perhaps it is doubling the value of bloom in every environment under certain hardware configurations?

This is another reason why the effects in the graphics settings should not be bundled under a singular label. Granted, it is an old game and was designed a very long time ago.

More likely, it's because the team that will be fixing these issues is the same team responsible for converting gw2 to dx11, and it's a team with limited resources and staff... it's understandable the priority would be to finish the migration (which includes the cleanup these last few months), then allocate resources and devs to the biggest problems.  And, I do think that this is one of those big problems... not only is it preventing a minority of current and future players from enjoying the game, but it's a potential ticking pr nightmare should those with a soapbox like influencers who've never played the game before run into this issue first play. 

This bug caused me to take a look around at other mmos, something I haven't done in a very long time, and I'm rather disheartened at how much even the most popular ones are lacking in comparison (predatory monetization, archaic subscription requirements, vertical progression grinds, etc). So, I continue to hope I can return soon.  Been playing off-and-on for 10ish years... and I always seem to miss certain festivals because of circumstances, breaks, and whatnot... and Fo4W is one of the remaining two I've never tried (Wintersday is the second). 😞

~EpWa

Edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tiviana.2650 said:

Im trying to sus out if this is related to dx11 or not last night part of the crafting area in LA looked like water, but also you could seethe map underneath.

https://imgur.com/a/0gfVMsx

That'd be because Lion's Arch is water. All the kitten you're walking on is just a layer above it. In that photo, the top layer has glitched out in classic Bug Wars 2 *We-Spent-Your-Support-Money-Elsewhere* style.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2023 at 8:50 PM, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

So, following your announcement of discontinuing support for-dx9, how do you suggest we deal with the DX11 issues that so many people are reporting of extremely oversaturated colors, blurry fonts, etc.?  I have turned off postprocessing, turned down gamma, adjusted shaders -- does not help.

If you are on nVidia, you should use the Control Panel and check your settings there (global ones and those for the game). I do get the oversaturation when using post-processing, but the blurry fonts etc should not be there.

• Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I do get the oversaturation when using post-processing

The oversaturation they are getting isn't the same one related to post-processing.  It's something to do with gamma being turned up too high (above 1), as if something is ignoring the correct gamma setting.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I now wonder whether the cause of the problem, oversaturation, is the same for everyone. 

I have:

• post processing off
  • shaders and shadows highest option
  • lower gamma from 1.75 to 1.40

And yes, that is acceptable for me concerning the oversaturation.

In the meanwhile I figured out something else ... monitor ghosting .... solved that too and it's okay for me now so case closed.

Anet asked for input so ......

Edited by Meiga.8537
Anet asked for input
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/5/2023 at 9:57 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

If you are on nVidia, you should use the Control Panel and check your settings there (global ones and those for the game). I do get the oversaturation when using post-processing, but the blurry fonts etc should not be there.

I have used the nVidia Control Panel to check my options, I have tweaked postprocessing (off) and gamma (turned down) in GW2's options.  Problems remain -- colors are insanely oversaturated, and fonts are all jagged with some very faint/thin and others bold/thick.  It's headache-inducing, it's a literal pain.  I can hardly play.  And I play tons of other games, none of which have these problems.

Please oh please has someone found a real solution?  Thanks to those who have tried to help.

Edited by Witch of Doom.5739
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I've been lucky so far, used to use -DX9, no problems with over-saturation so far, the problem I've had is that over the last month I've noticed the edges of tiles on flat surfaces and other places like nodes in home instances. Only posts I found on Googling are from 10 years ago, this guy had the same problem as I have now ..

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Wierd-Lines-on-Floors-Graphics-Bug

The lines

https://imgur.com/6GNGYud

On an older system, Win 10, i5-6600k CPU, Radeon RX-580, AMD Adrenalin 23.7.2.

Anyone else having this display problem ?