In which role should the New e spec fit in? (Power dps, condi dps, support....)

SeTect.5918

What do we need?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What type of role should the New e spec fit in?

• Power dps
    • Condi dps
    • Boon support
    • Healer
    • Tank
    • I don't care
    • Something different

Multiple choice question. 

For the ones that are interested in my humble opinion: 

Imo Engi always needed a condi spec. Holo is power melee, scrapper is power/tank/support melee and the weapon leak seems to be melee too. So imo it would be horrible if we get 3 power melee specs. But thats just my opinion, i am interested in urs. 

Edited by SeTect.5918
  • Like 1

We desperately need a condition spec.

If we want to play condi dps, we are still forced into a 3 kit setup (flamethrower, bombs, grenades). Holosmith changed this for power dps builds by giving us powerful power damage skills outside of the kits, but we got nothing for conditions to this point basically all our condi damage is from kits.

So please give us some nice condition damage utility skills which deal damage good enough to replace some kits from our bar. Holosmith and scrapper being heavily power focused also would make it terrible to give us a third power spec.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

what i dont want:

- another power dps orientated spec, we already got two

- another melee weapon... we already got two...

- another "transform" mechanic like holosmith. I never liked holo because of that kit lockout for 6 sec

- cheap tradeoff like -180 vitaly on scrapper

- super high tech skills like holo, that just doesnt fit visually

what i want:

- condition orientated spec

- able to bring some unique group support, maybe like banners or spirits. Or just some boon and barrier support

- maybe a new way to use or combine kits as mechanic. or a condi spec that doesnt even rely on kits

- mace as main and offhand, that would give great possibilities

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

I currently mostly play condi scrapper because skill misfires in power builds will tank damage on slower systems.  I think the new elite must have a strong condi option, but it should NOT just have a strong condi option.  The new elite should be viable for multiple roles.  Above all, the Engineer elite needs versatility and needs to provide a plethora of choices... to make up for the narrowness of the Core class.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm 100% on team: It gotta support condition playstyle. 
We really really need to get a elite spec that supports condition dmg. I don't want anything big or fancy like holosmith. I just wish for something that interact well with our core trait lines and core utility skills.

On a personal PvP noteI wouldn't mind one the "trait rows" focused the build around CC and interrupts in combination with condition dmg. I feel like that's a very fun playstyle and would be interesting to play around with.
I also hope it's not a melee weapon we get or pure melee weapon at least. some skills in the 600-900 range would be very welcome.

Also please no pets/AI or "mecha" suit transformation...

Edit: Also I hope we get buffs to our Pistol MH and OH so they get up to speed with the current state of the game and that they will be valid options to use if you don't wanna use the new elite spec weapon

Edited by Amadeus.5687
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Amadeus.5687 said:

On a personal PvP noteI wouldn't mind one the "trait rows" focused the build around CC and interrupts in combination with condition dmg. 

In pve this doesn't work well tho. Conditions on interrupt often dont work on blue Bars. Like the condi trait (bleeding, immob) on druid and the slowness on interrupt trait on chrono. 

The traits just dont trigger on blue Bars.

If u mean sth like this. If not, i am sorry.

And i agree with every other thing u daid tho. Especially with the pistol thing. A lot want main and offhand mace, but if the spec is condi, i hope its only mainhand. I dont want that pistol will be totally useless. Tho they could do the mainhand mace condi focused and the offhand one cc or support or whatever focused.

Or just make weapon swap available. 

However u get my like bc i agree with most things u said.

1 hour ago, SeTect.5918 said:

In pve this doesn't work well tho. Conditions on interrupt often dont work on blue Bars. Like the condi trait (bleeding, immob) on druid and the slowness on interrupt trait on chrono. 

The traits just dont trigger on blue Bars.

If u mean sth like this. If not, i am sorry.

And i agree with every other thing u daid tho. Especially with the pistol thing. A lot want main and offhand mace, but if the spec is condi, i hope its only mainhand. I dont want that pistol will be totally useless. Tho they could do the mainhand mace condi focused and the offhand one cc or support or whatever focused.

Or just make weapon swap available. 

However u get my like bc i agree with most things u said.

Yeah I get you and you understood me correctly 🙂
And I know interrupt builds ain't really a thing that function on bosses break bar and that it ain't worth it on the weaker PvE mobs.

But I think there could be room for it if it only were one of the three trait rows, like upper major and grandmaster that were centered around interrupting. Would still leave space for something more PvE focused in the others
I guess they could do some PvE/PvP splitting and make it so the traits that focus on interrupts in PvP, makes your CC do more breakbar dmg in PvE? I dunno.
It's not a must for me either, I just think it would be a fun thing to have for PvP and WvW 🙂

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Amadeus.5687 said:

Edit: Also I hope we get buffs to our Pistol MH and OH so they get up to speed with the current state of the game and that they will be valid options to use if you don't wanna use the new elite spec weapon

I agree about no pets/AI.  I like collecting the Ranger pets but in combat they are too often annoying.  I would like a Mech suit transformation in the age of Mounts, where you can still play fashion wars, but the Engineer is actually mounting up for combat.  Engineer has no in-combat weapon swap, so why not give Engineer a form of in-combat mount(s)... that being Mech Combat Mounts.  If Anet does that, all those players who never bothered making an Engineer will be buying character slots... and future xpacs and GW3 will have a proven game technology that will make them more popular.

OH pistol and OH shield need to be revamped... Engineer weapons need more CC as well.  I get rolled eyes when I say I play condi scrapper with rifle, but in mostly-solo PvE I find that rifle CC necessary, and I can't swap into and out of rifle when I need that CC.

• Confused 1

Considering this could be a mech/golem espec, I dont see how we cant have all 3 roles filled.

Look at it from a borderlands 3 skill tree perspective, when it comes to moze. Could have 3 different trait lines that builds our mechs for different roles.

Power => Golem weapons are rockets/machine guns.

Condi => Golem weapons are elemental sprays.

Tank/Support => Golem weapons are melee and pulses boons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, iKeostuKen.2738 said:

Considering this could be a mech/golem espec, I dont see how we cant have all 3 roles filled.

Look at it from a borderlands 3 skill tree perspective, when it comes to moze. Could have 3 different trait lines that builds our mechs for different roles.

Power => Golem weapons are rockets/machine guns.

Condi => Golem weapons are elemental sprays.

Tank/Support => Golem weapons are melee and pulses boons.

The problem with this is it gives very boring build crafting inside the elite spec and it can end up sucking big time in some gamemodes because you can't specialize it.

Harbringer were an example of this making it kinda bland.
Top were power, middle were boon sharing and bottom were condition dmg...  It just makes the elite spec a more boring tbh.
Not that I'm against elite specs that can fulfil more then one thing, I just rather want it to no be all over the place. 

Edited by Amadeus.5687
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Amadeus.5687 said:

The problem with this is it gives very boring build crafting inside the elite spec and it can end up sucking big time in some gamemodes because you can't specialize it.

Top were power, middle were boon sharing and bottom were condition dmg...  It just makes the elite spec a more boring tbh.
Not that I'm against elite specs that can fulfil more then one thing, I just rather want it to no be all over the place. 

Imo the engi spec should focus on (little) support and condi dmg.
I mean why should it have any power traits when the other 2 e specs are already filled with a lot strike dmg traits. I dont get why the 3rd e spec needs power dmg.
Just let it be condi with a little bit support or self boons. No need for this to go in the role of power dps if we already got 2 power focused e specs. Also if we put all 3 roles in 1 build this will end up in very low build varienty. So the thing u said with harbinger.

I really dont get it why some are so excited about a third power dps melee e spec.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Amadeus.5687 said:

I think this way would offer more chance to use different core trait lines so the variety could be actually a lot larger then say if it was just a condi spec where wed have to take firearms and alchemy for the most optimal way to use the spec for example.

This way if say we were to get the variety pack of boring traits we could atleast have 3 potentially different ways to play our new spec. But interms of having different ways to focus on a specific damage type, these could just be tied to either just our tier 1 traits or tier 3 traits with melee being a default till one of the others are chosen. 

It could offer more unique specializing imo.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, SeTect.5918 said:

Imo the engi spec should focus on (little) support and condi dmg.
I mean why should it have any power traits when the other 2 e specs are already filled with a lot strike dmg traits. I dont get why the 3rd e spec needs power dmg.
Just let it be condi with a little bit support or self boons. No need for this to go in the role of power dps if we already got 2 power focused e specs. Also if we put all 3 roles in 1 build this will end up in very low build varienty. So the thing u said with harbinger.

I really dont get it why some are so excited about a third power dps melee e spec.

Yeah my point exactly 🙂 I rather wanna let our two power elite spec focus on that part.

6 hours ago, iKeostuKen.2738 said:

I think this way would offer more chance to use different core trait lines so the variety could be actually a lot larger then say if it was just a condi spec where wed have to take firearms and alchemy for the most optimal way to use the spec for example.

This way if say we were to get the variety pack of boring traits we could atleast have 3 potentially different ways to play our new spec. But interms of having different ways to focus on a specific damage type, these could just be tied to either just our tier 1 traits or tier 3 traits with melee being a default till one of the others are chosen. 

It could offer more unique specializing imo.

I get where you are coming from, but I disagree. I think the varity in builds you hope for will be a illusion, cause they won't be able to balance all 3 roles. In no way will I see it be both strong enough in condition dmg and yet viable enough in power dmg to compete with holosmith. So what will happen is the same we saw with Habringer; Condition being the superior option and the weapon given also supporting that playstyle over the other more.

Which will lead to the build crafting being less interesting, cause we end up with dead traits. 

Also I want meaningfull choices in my traitlines and not just "If you wanna play condition dmg pick the top row". I want option and the opportunity to nerd around with  the trait to find the build just right for the job.

The more I think about it the more I hope for traits that will:
- Interact with interrupts, like conditions applied on interrupts

- Interacting with Daze and Stun, maybe applying stacking condition dmg modifier or something else.

- Interacting with our soft CC, we have a trait that makes protection go form 33% dmg reduction to 40%. Maybe Cripple we apply makes people even slower and it does more breakbar dmg?
- Giving us boon corruption or atleast more boon removal. Necromancers got out elixirs, let us have some of that juciy boon corruption

What I'm trying to say is they have sooo many things they could work into a trait tree that centers around condition dmg that it would be far more interesting to interact with it 🙂

I also feel like we on the support side are pretty set with Scrapper, great healing, quickness and condition removal. I rather it gets tuned perfectly.
If anything we might get Alacrity support on this one if anything, but I feel that's more likely to happen on Thief that lacks a support option and I feel that would be a great fit and more likely (also more fair)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Kusumura.8642 said:

We need a decent Boon Support that actually puts out what end game content requires (Might/+/Alac) and we also need a good condi spec. Those are the things we're lacking - we ARGUABLY have the condi, though it's not as fun and enjoyable as people make it out to be.

I rather they buff Scrapper enough to be our boon support with: Fury, Quickness, stability and protection. So the role Firebrand mostly fills atm. Would be fine with two of these.

But I would be okay with the new elite spec being a Might + Alac support, I just feel as said previously that Thief deserves a support spec

• Haha 1

Definitely condi dps. Would have liked short bow to shoot modified arrows that either explode into a big fire aoe on floor, another one creating noxious gaz, another with an electric field, to end with a shrapnel one and a glue one. The special skill could be charging an energy bar to trigger a powerful shot like, you shoot a spiky harpoon on long distance that cripple, bleed and, torment and burn everything it touch, because, the spikes on the harpoon can be energized jade shard something like that. About utilities can be revolving around lasers or alchemy. You can like, throw drugs and go in them to gain boons while foes are confuse or stun by them.

I like holosmith animations, thats why I liked a lot the bladeworn too. I definitely want that eod spec to feel high tech, and not fantasy or medievalish.

Edited by hugo.4705
  • Sad 1

On 9/27/2021 at 8:32 AM, Amadeus.5687 said:

I'm 100% on team: It gotta support condition playstyle. 
We really really need to get a elite spec that supports condition dmg. I don't want anything big or fancy like holosmith. I just wish for something that interact well with our core trait lines and core utility skills.

On a personal PvP noteI wouldn't mind one the "trait rows" focused the build around CC and interrupts in combination with condition dmg. I feel like that's a very fun playstyle and would be interesting to play around with.
I also hope it's not a melee weapon we get or pure melee weapon at least. some skills in the 600-900 range would be very welcome.

Don't be so sure look at warriors with bladesworn which is another power spec and some folks were upset because they wanted a support spec.

2 minutes ago, Axl.8924 said:

Don't be so sure look at warriors with bladesworn which is another power spec and some folks were upset because they wanted a support spec.

We already got 2 pure power weapons with the first 2 elite specs. Not getting something supportive is one thing, but it would be absolutely ridiculous if Anet dares to give us another power based weapon again and would showcase that they don't give a single kitten about the engineer community, since we were begging for a condition damage elite spec for years now....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

We already got 2 pure power weapons with the first 2 elite specs. Not getting something supportive is one thing, but it would be absolutely ridiculous if Anet dares to give us another power based weapon again and would showcase that they don't give a single kitten about the engineer community, since we were begging for a condition damage elite spec for years now....

Sometimes i get the feeling they don't listen, since they touch the wrong things. I heard scrapper went unchanged for a long time.

Other times i think they get so caught up in flavor they focus less on how useful it is.

Warrior has some very strong moves but on other times yeah it makes no sense that it doesn't work like holosmith.

Vindicator has a healing trait thats small but it competes with herald and its inferior to herald.

I'm concerned about what the weapon abilities will be like sustain moves mobility, target hitting melee or ranged, because last few weapons from some classes had little to no mobility.

Edited by Axl.8924

3 hours ago, hugo.4705 said:

I definitely want that eod spec to feel high tech, and not fantasy or medievalish.

Please no. We already have one purely asuran espec that feels and looks more like some Green-Lantern stuff rather than a true engineer. This is why I hate Holosmith - because it is not an engineer.
Please, no more sci-fi flashy nonsense with lasers and forcefields. Give us good ol` rockets, black powder, steampunky devices and alchemical madness.

2 hours ago, Bomboed.5697 said:

Please no. We already have one purely asuran espec that feels and looks more like some Green-Lantern stuff rather than a true engineer. This is why I hate Holosmith - because it is not an engineer.
Please, no more sci-fi flashy nonsense with lasers and forcefields. Give us good ol` rockets, black powder, steampunky devices and alchemical madness.

Holo is actually zephyrite tech not asura tech. But generally i would be down for alchemical madness.