New elite spec silhouette yay: thief?

hugo.4705

1 minute ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

An emotional attachment to class fantasy is a failing of yours, not the game's.

No maybe im just sick of every new elite spec being melee oriented. Wheres the variety? Where are the casters? Not everyone wants to play melee hur. Its lazy design to just toss everything in a dogpile with the same kinds of move little variation.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Maybe because thief gets to be more magical caster than ele. I know it depresses me.

How does the thief get to be more magical caster than ele? Because it will unlock possibility to wield the scepter? Are you enjoying your spellcasting with staff daredevil too? 😄

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

If you hit people with your scepter, what you really wield is a mace.

It’d make no sense to make scepter a melee weapon.

If you've planned to hit people with staff, which is predominantly a magic-oriented weapon (along with the reskins for it), might as well grab a greatword or a hammer. If you planned to zap people with lazor, why would you do it with a greatsword as a mirage? Overally people should already learn that just seeing the type of weapon the espec gets doesn't necesarily mean it will do what you'd expect it to do in other games.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

5 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

If you've planned to hit people with staff, which is predominantly a magic-oriented weapon (along with the reskins for it), might as well grab a greatword or a hammer. If you planned to zap people with lazor, why would you do it with a greatsword as a mirage? Overally people should already learn that just seeing the type of weapon the espec gets doesn't necesarily mean it will do what you'd expect it to do in other games.

Says the person who thinks they can’t make thief more magical than ele.

None of the other weapons have a clear analog. A staff is very different from a greatsword or hammer.

Absolutely, ANet has proven they can think outside the box. But I stand by that thunking  someone with a scepter is really just thunking them with a mace. No point in choosing scepter if that’s the plan.

It’d be like if  we already had athame as a magical caster weapon in the game, and they gave a new espec athame to run around slicing people with. It’d just be a dagger.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Says the person who thinks they can’t make thief more magical than ele.

And where exactly did you get that from? I was responding to someone who already stated that thief "gets to be more magical caster than ele", not that maybe it can potentially be due to the only thing we know about its new espec, which is the type of weapon it gets.

Which, considering the remaining kits of these classes, still leaves it highly improbable for the thief to be "more magical caster than ele" unless the espec reworks the whole class and it's previous skills. So the whole "it gets to be more magical than ele!" is just baseless. We know for a fact Ele gets 20 weaponskills that cast magic along with having 4 fields, but I guess it doesn't count as casting magic, because the class wields hammer?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

21 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

What people are saying is scepter has always been a casting weapon it makes no sense to bonk someone over the head with one, might as well give them a mace or club. If they keep true to scepter then it will be a magical casting weapon ie caster thief. It just dont make sense, they can do it but it dont make sense when we have mace. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

What people are saying is scepter has always been a casting weapon it makes no sense to bonk someone over the head with one, might as well give them a mace or club. If they keep true to scepter then it will be a magical casting weapon ie caster thief. It just dont make sense, they can do it but it dont make sense when we have mace. 

Cool and greatsword was always a slashing weapon and yet mesmer lazor-beams from it because magic. Fact remains that we have no information about the upcomming espec other than the type of the weapon it uses and yet you're already complaining about it being "more of a magic caster than ele", because scepter will give the class 3 skills to use (what skills? Nobody knows, but it's scepter, so it's suddenly "more of a caster"). Not only that, but scepter might be preferred over mace due to theme of the espec, which -again- we still know nothing about. Even if we decide to baselessly agree on it being a true caster-type weapon, it still most probably won't be more of a caster than ele, who just got 24 magic skills in its arsenal while wielding a hammer. Hope it's clear enough now.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Cool and greatsword was always a slashing weapon and yet mesmer lazor-beams from it because magic. Fact remains that we have no information about the upcomming espec other than the type of the weapon it uses and yet you're already complaining about it being "more of a magic caster than ele", because scepter will give the class 3 skills to use. Not only that, but scepter might be preferred over mace due to theme of the espec, which -again- we still know nothing about. Even if we decide to baselessly agree on it being a true caster-type weapon. Even considering scepter will do what YOU want it to do, it still won't be more of a caster than ele. Hope it's clear enough now.

Yeah because ele got another bruiser spec flashy effects do not a good spec make. We needed mobile ranged caster instead we got a slow clunky fragile bruiser that is rooted in close range yeh wvw will eat cata alive. And im not the only one that sees this the ele forums know whats what.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Yeah because ele got another bruiser spec flashy effects do not a good spec make. We needed mobile ranged caster instead we got a slow clunky fragile bruiser that is rooted in close range yeh wvw will eat cata alive.

Ah, so now if it's not specifically a "mobile ranged caster", it's not considered "magical caster"? Someone started moving the goalposts here.

And im not the only one that sees this the ele forums know whats what.

Profession's subforum filled predominantly with players spamming that one class keeps complaining about their "pick" being weak, what a surprise. I guess that's supposed to automatically make every "buff pls" request correct and reasonable.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

Ah, so now if it's not specifically a "mobile ranged caster", it's not considered "magical caster"? Someone started moving the goalposts here.

Thats right because ele didnt need another in your face spec! Ill move all the goalposts I want because cata is bad and all the cutesy flash wont change that. Ele needs a good ranged spec there are little to no options in this game for a true caster, its mostly melee, magic melee, its tiresome. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Thats right because ele didnt need another in your face spec!

You misspelled "I didn't want it!".

Ill move all the goalposts I want

Yes, I see. Doesn't make your previous posts any more reasonable for the reasons I've previously explained.

Ele needs a good ranged spec there are little to no options in this game for a true caster, its mostly melee, magic melee, its tiresome. 

Mid-range isn't exactly melee. And just because you want to nuke people from 1500 range doesn't make it good for the game, let alone "needed". 

Anyways, explain to me how exactly -based on the information we have- thief is (or will be) "more of a magic caster than ele".

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

I can see them making it work like ele's lighting whip.

On 10/3/2021 at 2:56 AM, Asum.4960 said:

I wouldn't even be surprised if it was marketing that came up with the 3 beta 3 specs each scheme to keep up buzz, drawing lots for the specs to be featured in each (with player feedback being a bonus), with that just happening to be the 3 medium specs at once in the last one (and separating the professions by armor type is largely arbitrary anyway). ...

I kind of think there is a method to their madness.  The first group was mostly single target classes,  the second were aoe type fighters, the third... pets?

• Sad 1