New Thief Elite - The Specter

Graeaw.6329

28 minutes ago, Asum.4960 said:

While Tormenting will almost certainly be the way to go for solo play, I can't stop thinking about quirky things like running Lich/Ogre/Privateer/Golemancer Runes, Tethering to your pet and pumping it full of Might, Healing and Rot Wallow Venom while it tanks for you. 

Unfortunately the attack rate and general power level of rune summons, especially Jagged Horror's from Lich runes which are the only condi runes with a Pet, is way too low to make good use of those Venom stacks and such though. 

Ambush unfortunately doesn't exist anymore either.

Bit of a shame. 

But who knows, Runes of the Specter could come with a summon Shadow Ally kind of thing.

you forget thieves guild exists...and applying torment with an ally of your own should also proc the healing factor of torment runes...not to mention if they are your ally it SHOULD, by mechanics, share rotwallow venom to them too...thus resulting in YOUR venoms proccing lifesteal on the venoms. as well as the torment rune healing too...

37 minutes ago, Asum.4960 said:

But who knows, Runes of the Specter could come with a summon Shadow Ally kind of thing.

If we get a new rune summon it will just be as weak as the other ones and even if it isn't they will make sure that it's going to be.

If you want to make a build based on supporting your summons then the best thing to hope for is that they rework thieves guild to work more like the neco skill summons which IMO should be the standard for all summon ally skills.

Edited by Tails.9372

-Test out if the Alacrity Well works in reducing the CDs with shadow shroud skills since they’re not initiative based 

-Test out barrier stealth capability (sanctuary runes) also test out if these sanctuary runes can barrier you in shadow form

-Test if merciful ambush can range stealth a down ally when you instant revive them using your siphon and if barrier applies

-Test out steal stealth (hidden thief trait) with new steal and whether or not steal needs to have target to activate

-Test out tether on thieves guild and wallow venom on thieves guild 

-See if tether can work on mini

-See if tether works on summons from Runes

-Try out rune of warrior synergy and quick pockets trait

-Try out signet of malice heal on barrier synergy

Weapons: S/D & SCP/P synergy

Weapons: D/D & SCP/P

Weapons: S/P & SCP/D

Weapons: See if there’s any synergy involving Shortbow and any Wells

TR/ SCP/ SA 

D.A/ SCP/ SA

CS/ SCP/ SA

Acro/ SCP/ CS

Acro/ SCP/ SA

Edited by AikijinX.6258

11 minutes ago, AikijinX.6258 said:

-Test out if the Alacrity Well works in reducing the CDs with shadow shroud skills since they’re not initiative based 

-Test out barrier stealth capability (sanctuary runes) also test out if these sanctuary runes can barrier you in shadow form

-Test if merciful ambush can range stealth a down ally when you instant revive them using your siphon and if barrier applies

-Test out steal stealth (hidden thief trait) with new steal and whether or not steal needs to have target to activate

-Test out tether on thieves guild and wallow venom on thieves guild 

-See if tether can work on mini

-See if tether works on summons from Runes

-Try out rune of warrior synergy and quick pockets trait

-Try out signet of malice heal on barrier synergy

Weapons: S/D & SCP/P synergy

Weapons: D/D & SCP/P

Weapons: S/P & SCP/D

Weapons: See if there’s any synergy involving Shortbow and any Wells

TR/ SCP/ SA 

kitten/ SCP/ SA 

CS/ SCP/ SA

Acro/ SCP/ CS

Acro/ SCP/ SA

oh brother you KNOW my thief guild is gonna be on this crap all week right ? lol

11 minutes ago, Tails.9372 said:

If we get a new rune summon it will just be as weak as the other ones and even if it isn't they will make sure that it's going to be.

If you want to make a build based on supporting your summons then the best thing to hope for is that they rework thieves guild to work more like the neco skill summons which IMO should be the standard for all summon ally skills.

Don't get me wrong, I have no hope of it being "meta" or even good, but Spec Runes rarely are. 

A Torment/Condi based summon Rune that let's players explore the specs Tether mechanic in solo play at least could be interesting and fun though, more so than gain some barrier when struck at x% Health etc. at least.

5 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

But I can see multiple specters camping in a tower applying RV to a LB SB channeling their attacks through them. Imagine being hit by an arrow that also applies 30 stacks of torment.

One high stacking condi is pretty easy to cleanse for most people though. Unless they can keep covering it up with other condi spamm.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kash.9213 said:

It's what it's designed to do, not sure what you're on about.

I get the reference you're making to the point guard in basketball. I understand the type of supporting a thief would do in the previous post you made. I'm just saying that's more of supporting in a PvP environment whether that's sPvP or WvW from my own experience, given that I don't do much sPvP or WvW I wouldn't know better honestly. From a PvE perspective in end game group content that's not exactly how you would support. You don't go around jumping from player to player in the group dropping blinds or a projectile block and covering fire, at least not from my experience in raids/strikes & fractals. Usually supports have those specific roles like guardian & mesmer reflects on Matthias and there isn't a reason for a Thief player to improvise support unless some of the group aren't doing what they're supposed to. Like for example I've used the steal skill from Vale Guardian and Sabetha in w1 to save downed players that got downed in the wrong place. Sure you cna say you're "supporting" them by doing stuff like that but its not exactly the support role players talk about when it comes to raids/fractals.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Xukavi.4320 said:

I get the reference you're making to the point guard in basketball. I understand the type of supporting a thief would do in the previous post you made. I'm just saying that's more of supporting in a PvP environment whether that's sPvP or WvW from my own experience, given that I don't do much sPvP or WvW I wouldn't know better honestly. From a PvE perspective in end game group content that's not exactly how you would support. You don't go around jumping from player to player in the group dropping blinds or a projectile block and covering fire, at least not from my experience in raids/strikes & fractals. Usually supports have those specific roles like guardian & mesmer reflects on Matthias and there isn't a reason for a Thief player to improvise support unless some of the group aren't doing what they're supposed to. Like for example I've used the steal skill from Vale Guardian and Sabetha in w1 to save downed players that got downed in the wrong place. Sure you cna say you're "supporting" them by doing stuff like that but its not exactly the support role players talk about when it comes to raids/fractals.

You're literally going to do exactly that... because that's how it's designed. The mechanics are the same in all modes. Your Initiative will be cut and staggered around the new resource, being active with one to feed the other or let regenerate, so you'll need to send something to tick if you want to do damage during phases with scepter range or when you Shadowstep to people to keep them up. This Elite is built to improvise around the situation. 

Edited by kash.9213

On 10/23/2021 at 3:51 PM, HotDelirium.7984 said:

This type of elite spec (similiar to the new Sage from FF14 but whatever) would shine when supporting a tank.....but this game doesn't have a lot of modes where there is just one tank to support. Maybe in Raids but when you have specs that give health to the tank being targeted AND others to a degree this spec might not be as viable.

Yeah I have to admit... I'm wondering where this speccs gonna fit in. 

I think daredevil will still be the better option in PvP 

I can only see this being the meta PvE specc because it has some form of support unlike the others. 

I could see it being a good tank though in itself. So maybe that will be the role it's gonna fill with off support to those around him. 

Such as barriering a player who's rezzing etc.... 

But yeah I think its gonna be the next PvE Tank specc. Otherwise I ain't seeing much use for it. 

9 minutes ago, Daddy.8125 said:

Yeah I have to admit... I'm wondering where this speccs gonna fit in. 

I think daredevil will still be the better option in PvP 

I can only see this being the meta PvE specc because it has some form of support unlike the others. 

I could see it being a good tank though in itself. So maybe that will be the role it's gonna fill with off support to those around him. 

Such as barriering a player who's rezzing etc.... 

But yeah I think its gonna be the next PvE Tank specc. Otherwise I ain't seeing much use for it. 

It's going to be more tanky than daredevil due to shadow shroud as well as stronger teamfight presence in terms of support. In a small teamfight similar to 3v3 or 2v2 it's perfectly fine to support one player, usually someone being focused or hard CCed. It's only going to fall behind in largescale, such as WVW due to targeting problems beyond just targeting a commander.

Probably will play similar to the difference of no barrier viper scourge / wizard scourge before 2020 damage nerfs vs core carrion condi necro.

1 hour ago, Infusion.7149 said:

It's going to be more tanky than daredevil due to shadow shroud as well as stronger teamfight presence in terms of support. In a small teamfight similar to 3v3 or 2v2 it's perfectly fine to support one player, usually someone being focused or hard CCed. It's only going to fall behind in largescale, such as WVW due to targeting problems beyond just targeting a commander.

Probably will play similar to the difference of no barrier viper scourge / wizard scourge before 2020 damage nerfs vs core carrion condi necro.

Well yeah but when you gonna want Ur thief to be a teamfighter or a side noder with how powerful roaming thief is? 

Also that's if it doesn't get repeatively nerfed like scourge does. Scourge ain't that great in SPVP anymore 

In 5v5 I think daredevil will remain superior in all honesty. Thief can already made pretty sustainable builds without losing a ton of its mobility. 

Edited by Daddy.8125

On 10/23/2021 at 4:50 AM, Grebcol.5984 said:

Good~luck to targeting healing in a big WvWvW Fight where u often don't see anything. This Spec looks bad af. 

use the squad feature and target commanders. Ask squad to place targets on the commander for easy healing. 

• Confused 2

I feel like out of the bunch the specter has the biggest potential to be either stupid OP or absolutely nonfunctional.  No middle ground.

The one thing i dislike thematically is that I feel they crowbarred in TOO much of necromancer rather than giving specter a unique identity.

Edited by mortrialus.3062
  • Thanks 1