New Thief Elite - The Specter

Graeaw.6329

1 hour ago, Doggie.3184 said:

yeah I was wondering about that but don't feel like logging in to see if I can target allies from the party UI.

I literally don't remember if there're easy ways to single target an ally cuz there's no reason to.

I wonder if they can add a hot key option to target certain allies?

31 minutes ago, Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

Borderline worthless to a thief as it doesn't help their main mechanic.

There are more things to thief than just initiative, like siphon and the wells that grant the boon in the first place. And take note, Shadow Shroud takes a lot of weight off of initiative use since all of the shroud skills have short regular CDs so your initiative will be recovering while you continue to attack. Your traited wells will also reduce all of your CDs out of shroud so you can gain more shadow force from the same trait and get back into shroud sooner.

• Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, Acheron.4576 said:

I'm kinda curious how this e-spec will manage as solo in pve compared to the others.

From what has been shown, aside from DD dodge spam, it's the most easy mode you can get with thief. One of the traits implies that SS acts like a second health pool. You won't get much out of invigorating precision but tormenting runes can make up for that.

• Like 2

The targeting specific allies means I literally won't be able to play the spec.  It should work like every other support in the game and do AOE around you or your target.

It's an accessibility issue.  I can't use a mouse/keyboard and I use an alternate input device.  I have to play with action camera and I can't target/click allies or enemies.  I can only aim in the general direction.

I'm a thief main and I'm going to be stuck playing Daredevil for the rest of my days apparently.

Edited by Will.9785
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Will.9785 said:

Not to you it doesn't.  Watch the video again.

How about you try watching the vid and maybe upping the resolution a bit. Because Endless Night hits 7 times.

EDIT: Misread, and you're right. But that isn't the point of a support spec. I personally think its awesome.

Edited by Zacchary.6183
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Zacchary.6183 said:

How about you try watching the vid and maybe upping the resolution a bit. Because Endless Night hits 7 times.

It pulses 7 times to 3 targets and you aren't one of them.  You go watch the video.  It's 22:30 into it.

Edited by Will.9785

Just now, Zacchary.6183 said:

That's because its a support spec. If you want self quickness, stay on deadeye.

Also, I edited my last reply.

Support skills that can't buff either yourself or 5 allies are bad.  You won't be able to fill the quickness role in PVE squads because 40% of the sub won't be covered.  So where exactly is this skill going to fit in the current meta?  It won't.  Unless it's meant to be used in PVP and WvW... which a skill designed for those modes again seems like a bad skill.

• Like 2

this single target support thing is not a great solution. 

When the teaser was released i kinda felt like this espec was going to be good, and in terms of the raw potential it is - dont get me wrong - but it is a lackluster AoE Support which also means you cant buff/support yourself so this spec is too reliable on constructed group play.

Hope i am wrong and proven better, but so far it might be a dead spec in openworld, WvW or solo PvE.

Also i can already hear people crying out loud that they didnt receive the thiefs healing from the same guys that are constantly complaing about stealth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Will.9785 said:

Support skills that can't buff either yourself or 5 allies are bad.  You won't be able to fill the quickness role in PVE squads because 40% of the sub won't be covered.  So where exactly is this skill going to fit in the current meta?  It won't.  Unless it's meant to be used in PVP and WvW... which a skill designed for those modes again seems like a bad skill.

The beam affects everyone in it. So if you are going to buff multiple allies, aim far and maneuver the rest inbetween.

5 minutes ago, Will.9785 said:

Look at the traits. Traversing Darkness in particular. "Heal allies in the area around you when you shadowstep. Gain shadow force for each ally in the radius. Wells grant alacrity on their initial impact." 4s Alac on that, 4/6 Wells have a 20s cooldown. It's going to be VERY easy to give Alacrity, and Well of Bounty gives every boon you DON'T have on you. 5 Allies total can be hit.

2 minutes ago, Tails.9372 said:

I don't think that attacks from your targeted ally count as they're not your "pet".

Not from the targeted ally, AT the targeted ally. Scepter skills can affect allies so I am wondering if hitting them will proc SoM passive. Because if that is the case, Thief can get some real sustain for themselves.

1 hour ago, Acheron.4576 said:

I'm kinda curious how this e-spec will manage as solo in pve compared to the others.

Solo against trash ... probably IS trash ... or to be fair, simply can't compete with DE. I believe this spec does offer a less gimmicky option for harder, single target mobs that I've seen people talk about. I welcome that. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Will.9785 said:

dropping this allied targeting on a commander in WvW could be powerful in zerg fights

3 hours ago, RyuDragnier.9476 said:

Look at the traits. Traversing Darkness in particular. "Heal allies in the area around you when you shadowstep. Gain shadow force for each ally in the radius. Wells grant alacrity on their initial impact." 4s Alac on that, 4/6 Wells have a 20s cooldown. It's going to be VERY easy to give Alacrity, and Well of Bounty gives every boon you DON'T have on you. 5 Allies total can be hit.

I know.  I'm talking about the quickness skill specifically, though.