Specter is basically what Catalyst should have been

Tabootrinket.2631

I don't see it.

Wells would have been really nice as utilities, especially if they were combo fields. That I can agree with.

Apart from that? Scepter we already have. Giving out barrier would be nice, but Tempest more or less fills the role of keeping people alive. Shadowstepping on the wells isn't really an Ele thing either. A 'Shroud' skill like Necro is weird to implement on Ele. The closes to that would be the 'Arcane Attunement' the community comes up with regularly, but it wouldn't be much different from a 5th attunement.
Apart from that we don't know too much about Specter afaik.

Catalyst is badly designed, that's something I can agree with. I don't see however how Spectre is doing something we want from Ele.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Bleikopf.2491 said:

I don't see it.

Wells would have been really nice as utilities, especially if they were combo fields. That I can agree with.

Apart from that? Scepter we already have. Giving out barrier would be nice, but Tempest more or less fills the role of keeping people alive. Shadowstepping on the wells isn't really an Ele thing either. A 'Shroud' skill like Necro is weird to implement on Ele. The closes to that would be the 'Arcane Attunement' the community comes up with regularly, but it wouldn't be much different from a 5th attunement.
Apart from that we don't know too much about Specter afaik.

Catalyst is badly designed, that's something I can agree with. I don't see however how Spectre is doing something we want from Ele.

well of course not literally.

But a sustainable class that can actually provide and make use of combo field —-> specter, not Catalyst.

• Like 4

I'm jealous that Spectre has a much better energy system and visual AI then catalyst does. You can barely see Catalyst's energy bar! Plus, energy has no purpose besides casting F5.

But Spectre on the other hand builds energy, creates a whole new kit of skills, and then has its own mechanic of support which ties it all together like a nice little bow on a present.

I'm not saying nerf/destroy Spectre, but where was that investment and creativity in making Catalyst? 

Edit: And untamed get a minor trait that boosts HP just cause they're a melee spec?? Um, Elems have been asking for that for years! Catalyst is getting literally the same weapon as Untamed and there is no thought process of increasing their HP. 

Edited by Stallic.2397
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

It's quite amazing the difference in effort. 

Take a look at Engineer even, their mech has traits that customize how it works what skills it has etc. And catalyst with their stationary 1 dimensial holo field. Yeah, I am hoping that this is just showing how much more polished classes can be with more time.

• Like 6

I know what you mean. Looking at Specter's traits and comparing them to Catalyst...you realize just how uninspiring Catalyst traits are. Basically 7 out of 9 major traits are just stackable boons/stat boosts that are granted in a niche situation (and being stackable just means more hoops to jump through to get the most out of a boring mechanic), compared with Specter where they have so many traits that unlock legitimately interactive ways of playing the spec.

There are just so many things wrong with Catalyst.

• Like 8

On 10/22/2021 at 9:59 PM, Xephir.7635 said:

Everyone shadowstepping and cata is on downstate

exactly my thought after last spec live xDDD
Also: everyone gets shadowstep, Catalyst can blow himself down a hill. XD
(tbh i love that skill)

Edited by kurosy.1384
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, kurosy.1384 said:

(tbh i love that skill)

It's a cool skill. I'm just not too sure how useful it turns out to be. It would make more sense to knock the enemies away instead of down or yourself away, but it's obvious why ANet decided against it (to not mess with your party).

It would probably be more useful if we had more ways to engage instead of Cata's one (1) leap skill.

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, kurosy.1384 said:

(tbh i love that skill)

Imagine if there was an expansion where lots of classes got absurd mobility. Then you had this one class that had this anti-mobility mechanic, where you get forced to stand in one place with no reward to show for it. No way that would ever happen, right? 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Ganathar.4956 said:

Imagine if there was an expansion where lots of classes got absurd mobility. Then you had this one class that had this anti-mobility mechanic, where you get forced to stand in one place with no reward to show for it. No way that would ever happen, right? 🤣

Hey, what can go wrong with giving the squishest class in the entire game a melee weapon that is slow af and wonky to use without any mobility skills, additionally giving only half of utility skills available most of the time unless you'll use them in perfect attumented jade well?
But atleast we've got fancy 20% stat increase! It's something I guess. (ง ͡ಥ ͜ʖ ͡ಥ)ง

• Like 3

On 10/24/2021 at 12:55 AM, Serephen.3420 said:

It's quite amazing the difference in effort. 

Take a look at Engineer even, their mech has traits that customize how it works what skills it has etc. 

As an engi main i dont understand why thats good. Nearly all engis are not happy about this.

All traits are wasted for the mech skills. And your mech is going to die so hard in wvw zergs and pvp. 

Aside from that your mechanist is a worse core engi if the mech dies. It has even a 100 sec CD. 

Its not good that all traits are wasted for mech skills. We get 0 stuff for the player, no dmg reduction, no dmg increase, nothing. Just stuff like: your mech gets xx and has now xx.

And in they said we can customize the mech as we want. But in reality its not possible. You have 3 trait variants: 111, 222 and 333. 

Just take a look to the engi forum.

• Like 1

The difference is Ele players came to the conclusion after playing it in the beta. Engineers have not. 

Now if these comments are heard after the beta then sure, 100% there with you.

The idea and concept at the very least of how you can customise your mechanic with the traits like that is what I would have liked for the catalyst holo toy.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 12:29 PM, Bleikopf.2491 said:

It's a cool skill. I'm just not too sure how useful it turns out to be. It would make more sense to knock the enemies away instead of down or yourself away, but it's obvious why ANet decided against it (to not mess with your party).

It would probably be more useful if we had more ways to engage instead of Cata's one (1) leap skill.

No, they let ranger lb4 exist. Give me a huge knockback and let me join content with untamed and see how they like it!

Edited by Mogsterfortytwo.6712