Untamed is OP

Paradoxoglanis.1904

The hammer skill's cooldowns are shared between unleashed and normal, so it's not the equivalent of two weapons.

The elite, if I remember right, was purely defensive in nature while SotP is more offensive for granting might and fury instead. They don't do the same thing besides having similar cooldowns and granting stability.

...also...it isn't even out yet. 🙂 

Edited by magic fly.2041
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Wtf is with hammer basically being 2 weapons? Instant pet teleports into tailswipe, an elite thats just a better version of SotP, a bunch of insane traits. Ranger is already the strongest core class that can almost do everything, and now untamed is getting boon rip, corrupts, teleports...

IT HAS BEGUN!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

16 hours ago, magic fly.2041 said:

The hammer skill's cooldowns are shared between unleashed and normal, so it's not the equivalent of two weapons.

The elite, if I remember right, was purely defensive in nature while SotP is more offensive for granting might and fury instead. They don't do the same thing besides having similar cooldowns and granting stability.

...also...it isn't even out yet. 🙂 

Where is the consistency? Why should hammer get 9 skills while every other weapon set except for elemenalist has 5? How does this make sense with other ranger weapons? Memes aside, it seems like a really weird feature for the elite spec that doesnt fit with the class whatsoever.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Where is the consistency? Why should hammer get 9 skills while every other weapon set except for elemenalist has 5? How does this make sense with other ranger weapons? Memes aside, it seems like a really weird feature for the elite spec that doesnt fit with the class whatsoever.

Actually it makes sense but not with current implementation: While one side does apply movment imparing conditions and CC the other side applies the burst damage to enemies under those effects. Keep in mind in competitive CC skills do 0 damage. 

Sadly the hammer is missing the movement imparing so the only tool it can use is Hammer#5 to apply the knockdown. Once it is on unleashed state no much CC is available, maybe one every 30 seconds from canines. Most skills will not get the extra damage benefit. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Actually it makes sense but not with current implementation: While one side does apply movment imparing conditions and CC the other side applies the burst damage to enemies under those effects. Keep in mind in competitive CC skills do 0 damage. 

Sadly the hammer is missing the movement imparing so the only tool it can use is Hammer#5 to apply the knockdown. Once it is on unleashed state no much CC is available, maybe one every 30 seconds from canines. Most skills will not get the extra damage benefit. 

yes i get that you are meant to set up combos with your pet. but why make hammer this special weapon? Im assuming the other ranger weapons dont have 9 abilities as well. No other elite spec has a weapon that stands out so much compared to their core weapons.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

yes i get that you are meant to set up combos with your pet. but why make hammer this special weapon? Im assuming the other ranger weapons dont have 9 abilities as well. No other elite spec has a weapon that stands out so much compared to their core weapons.

You got a very good point there. I cannot say, maybe is because of balancing reasons and avoid any power creep.

any change that impacts all the core ranger weapons can be a headache for very long time. 

core weapons benefit from the traits in any case and those are dependent on the ranger state, so there is some interaction in there 

3 minutes ago, anduriell.6280 said:

You got a very good point there. I cannot say, maybe is because of balancing reasons and avoid any power creep.

any change that impacts all the core ranger weapons can be a headache for very long time. 

core weapons benefit from the traits in any case and those are dependent on the ranger state, so there is some interaction in there 

According to the stream it was to avoid power creep since the other weapons weren't balanced with an Unleashed mode in mind. Initially they were considering giving all weapons' auto attack a stronger Unleashed version but realized that'd be pure power creep so refrained, but they still aren't certain they want to keep Unleashed skills to just the hammer or not.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Ehecatl.9172 said:

According to the stream it was to avoid power creep since the other weapons weren't balanced with an Unleashed mode in mind. Initially they were considering giving all weapons' auto attack a stronger Unleashed version but realized that'd be pure power creep so refrained, but they still aren't certain they want to keep Unleashed skills to just the hammer or not.

If buffing the Ranger's pretty weak auto attacks would be power creep I'd love to know what they think Specter and Mechanist is.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

It's not really 9 different skills, because cooldowns are shared. And even if there where separate skills, how would it be different from something like CA or Holo Forge or other class mechanics that replace weapon skills with different ones (other than being tied to a specific weapon, which is not an upside)?

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Why does there need to be consistency? Consistency means less variety or options in this case. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Lemme spell the words for rangers who cannot read:

In both versions of the hammer the only hard CC is the knockdown in Sealed 5. That will do no dmg. All the other skills will, including the super strong Sealed Hammer 4 with the double daze. 

PvPers really do want every attack to only do 1 damage.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/23/2021 at 3:13 AM, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Wtf is with hammer basically being 2 weapons? Instant pet teleports into tailswipe, an elite thats just a better version of SotP, a bunch of insane traits. Ranger is already the strongest core class that can almost do everything, and now untamed is getting boon rip, corrupts, teleports...

Whether or not your complaints are accurate or valid, ever think its in anet's best interest to give stronk new stuff so people playing any game mode are motivated to buy it and splash the cash? Why would anyone who only plays competitive game modes buy it unless... 

Edited by Chips.7968

On 10/23/2021 at 9:09 PM, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Off the top of my head? Deadeye's Rifle has 11 skills if following the same metric.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mistsim.2748 said:

Depends on the damage coefficients in PvP. It will absolutely dominate in spvp with its current kit, and possibly challenge the DPS meta in WvW.

I think people might be overblowing the hammer, all the "aoe" it had, is 120-180 range on the first hits, which is aoe in all but name, and the skill follow-ups looked stantionary cast too, I think people just might be able to walk away from the aoe.
It might lead to some clown, running in circles on a node gameplay lol

EDIT
what I ment with stationary is something like holo shockwave ( but with 180 and not 300 range )
And its not all that easy to land, right holo players?

Edited by Leonidrex.5649
  • Thanks 2

On 10/23/2021 at 3:13 AM, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Do u remember when we said this about Willbender? Lmfao.

Ranger isnt the strongest core proffession... lol

• Thanks 2