Anyone else really, really bad at sticking to one character?

Arklite.4013

I currently have 4 characters with 25% of a set of full ascended and world completion. I’m really bad at committing to a single character as my main and constantly flip-flop around between these characters and never get anything done as a result. Whenever I see someone playing one of the classes I’m not playing I’m like “kitten, that looks cool. Mad respect for that guy for playing that class” and then I go do it. I have a serious MMO identity crisis and I’d like to solve it but have no idea where to start. I know that there’s no inherent problem with playing a bunch of alts (especially in this game) but I live in constant envy of people who are able to dedicate time and resources to a single character

TLDR unable to stick to a character as a main, never complete any goals as a result

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to Altaholics Anonymous! My name is Mossmere and I have the same serious issue! 😄

In all seriousness, there are both advantages and disadvantages to multiple characters. 

• Pro's: 
    • You will learn the strengths and weakness of each class you play (huge for pvp and wvw)
    • you can get achievements with more ease (ex: jumping puzzles, mesmer! speed: ranger, mesmer, thief! survivability: necro, guardian etc.) (these probably aren't the best examples but you get the picture I hope)
    • You can try out all styles of play, classes and races. Never bored!
    • In time, you will have at least one of everything ascended! Lots of choices at your fingertips!
  • (there's probably more pros but just wanted to get some general stuff out there)

I won't bother listing con's, as you've already experienced some of them. 

Some peeps have one main, some of us have many. 🙂  Having many mains just means it takes us a bit longer to acquire everything but we end up with more of everything too.  Perhaps try setting goals? I have to finish map completion on this character before I let myself switch. Or every Monday I switch my character, I can accomplish x amount in that time. Or just keep switching, have fun playing and you will accomplish lots of a period of time in a more relaxed way.

Some tips: As for gearing. All the weapons and trinkets can be switched between characters. Have one set of power, one of condition, one of healing that you can use back and forth. Armor can be switched only between wearers of the same type, so if you have two light armors and one medium that you use, focus on light first and just let the other guys use exotic. It won't hurt them. 

Also, a long term, I must have lost my mind, solution is legendary items. These take a long time and crazy materials and grinding to get. However, legendary armor, weapons and trinkets stay in your equipment panel so they don't take up room, can be used on any lvl 80 character (armor within its armor class,) each time you equip it you choose what stats it will have and what sigils, runes and infusion go on it. All those sigils, runes and infusion also stay hidden in your equipment panel and can be popped onto any other legendary item too! Nevermind the bling bling. LOL 

May you find peace with the I can't pick a main. Honestly, you don't need to. 😉

Edited by mossmere.9503
fixed spacing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

One approach I've taken in order to get through map completion and other tasks is to assign each character a particular region or task to focus on, and usually working on that particular task when there's a related daily (or when I just happen to feel like playing that character). Once any given character finishes a task, I move it to another one.

Means that while it can take a while to get that first map completion, the second and third might not be too far behind...

• Like 1

Tbh i've been in the same boat too..

I struggled to find one proffession and switch around continously.. however think i might of finally cracked it. I havent been impressed by any of the new elites.. but how annoyed i got at untamed has kinda shown me i care about ranger the most and get moved the most by it.. so prolly going to become a Ranger main.

• Thanks 1

Yes and no if I am to be honest. I have for the most part stuck with Engi and Thief as my mains, but I also have geared and played around with all the others as well. But I think I might finally stick to one which is the Harbinger. Basically, I love guns in games. Yes, I am one of those people who some hate who wants guns in their fantasy world even though guns still count as fantasy. Anyways, as I was saying though,  the fact Harbinger has a main hand gun and it looks like that weapon might be meta makes me want to play it and main it if I really like it.

Now, I have done p/p condi on my Engi, but the problem with that is I am tired of the kit piano. I kind of want a class where it is just the weapons and no piano play. And P/P Deadeye is a joke damage wise, so that one is also out sadly.

On 10/26/2021 at 3:25 PM, Arklite.4013 said:

I currently have 4 characters with 25% of a set of full ascended and world completion. I’m really bad at committing to a single character as my main and constantly flip-flop around between these characters and never get anything done as a result. Whenever I see someone playing one of the classes I’m not playing I’m like “kitten, that looks cool. Mad respect for that guy for playing that class” and then I go do it. I have a serious MMO identity crisis and I’d like to solve it but have no idea where to start. I know that there’s no inherent problem with playing a bunch of alts (especially in this game) but I live in constant envy of people who are able to dedicate time and resources to a single character

TLDR unable to stick to a character as a main, never complete any goals as a result

I wish I would have planned out 5 characters of each of the 5 different races at the start... better to just plan on doing one of each race from the get go!