Evade Evade Block Immune Evade Block Miss Miss Immune Evade etc

Toad.4619

As a new player I have to ask. Is.. is this suppose to be fun? The pvp in this game often feels like I'm attempting to swat a fly out of the air. I've seen multiple players gang up on one enemy, only for that enemy to continually cycle through evade/blocks/immunities until they've walked all the way back to their keep. And I'm fairly certain the two months I've been playing I've never seen a single thief die in wvw. It's just getting tiresome and I've only been playing this game for a couple months.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Toad.4619 said:

As a new player I have to ask. Is.. is this suppose to be fun? The pvp in this game often feels like I'm attempting to swat a fly out of the air. I've seen multiple players gang up on one enemy, only for that enemy to continually cycle through evade/blocks/immunities until they've walked all the way back to their keep. And I'm fairly certain the two months I've been playing I've never seen a single thief die in wvw. It's just getting tiresome and I've only been playing this game for a couple months.

You describe an ele or possible a mirage then throw "thief" in there for what?

Also, this is pvp forums.

You are new, play the class that wasn't easy to kill, come back with video reporting the results.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

This is a PERFECT EXAMPLE of why anet should have just balanced around the old hundred blades Warrior instead of giving ranger/mesmer/guardian "high skill cap" (/sarcasm, those classes were always brain damaged since the beginning) evades/block spam/blind spam and INSTEAD of Necro instant cast double HP bar z-axis teleport fear chains and not keeping it in check.

How do you expect a new player to be able to get into a game with badly executed patches? You literally have to count so many evades and cds on this bad game before someone dies on most "meta" specs.

@OP you would have enjoyed the game more at launch to be honest back in 2013. There were less of this garbage that you see nowadays (with the exception of ranger, mes, guardian which still functions similar back in 2013).

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, BlackTruth.6813 said:

This is a PERFECT EXAMPLE of why anet should have just balanced around the old hundred blades Warrior instead of giving ranger/mesmer/guardian "high skill cap" (/sarcasm, those classes were always brain damaged since the beginning) evades/block spam/blind spam and INSTEAD of Necro instant cast double HP bar z-axis teleport fear chains and not keeping it in check.

How do you expect a new player to be able to get into a game with badly executed patches? You literally have to count so many evades and cds on this bad game before someone dies on most "meta" specs.

@OP you would have enjoyed the game more at launch to be honest back in 2013. There were less of this garbage that you see nowadays (with the exception of ranger, mes, guardian which still functions similar back in 2013).

Even back then there was plenty of kitten. Hambow, bunker banner warrior, mm necro and ranger petting zoo meta, engi being a superclass for years, s/p thief, acro s/d thief, thief in general deleting mesmer as a class, turret engis topping the leaderboards, ele literally being unplayable for over 2 years, braindead PU mesmer, and more that I forget. I don't think I want to go back to all of that thanks.

23 minutes ago, eksn.7264 said:

Even back then there was plenty of kitten. Hambow, bunker banner warrior, mm necro and ranger petting zoo meta, engi being a superclass for years, s/p thief, acro s/d thief, thief in general deleting mesmer as a class, turret engis topping the leaderboards, ele literally being unplayable for over 2 years, braindead PU mesmer, and more that I forget. I don't think I want to go back to all of that thanks.

I think there was always some kind of aids.
HoT happened and then you had bunker Chrono that was unkillable and many other broken kitten.
A-net takes far too long to fix such obvious problems...

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, eksn.7264 said:

Nobody said go back completely to hambow or turret engi or cele d/d ele era, but yes I do agree that ANET has made a lot of anti-fun eras even then.

I also should've been more clear and just said pre-HoT 2015 is the best as it gets, like just balance around pre-HoT 2015 minus the other cheese. And that they should be applying principles from things that have counterplay such as the old frenzy hundred blades/telegraphed attacks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crab Fear.1624 said:

You describe an ele or possible a mirage then throw "thief" in there for what?

Also, this is pvp forums.

You are new, play the class that wasn't easy to kill, come back with video reporting the results.

To be fair, Thieves are excellent classes at escaping an infinite number of players, multiple ports and stealth being the most broken mechanic in the game. And this person was talking pvp aspect of wvw, but yes wvw damage is nerfed so hard and escapes are so easy for some classes like those 3, that it happens often on the pvp side of things. 

People love running away 🙂

• Like 1

they have to make overpowered class skills, because this is the only thing that will keep players playing, because they have no content for pve,pvp,wvw. making braindead overpowered class skill is cheaper to keep players.

most real pvp people quit after HoT release, that's basically when the game started block, evade block, invul, block,evade chains

instead of dodging key skills..which is boring and not fun

Edited by Lighter.5631
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lighter.5631 said:

they have to make overpowered class skills, because this is the only thing that will keep players playing, because they have no content for pve,pvp,wvw. making braindead overpowered class skill is cheaper to keep players.

most real pvp people quit after HoT release, that's basically when the game started block, evade block, invul, block,evade chains

instead of dodging key skills..which is boring and not fun

Eh? Game is in much better spot than during Pre-HoT Celestial meta.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Morwath.9817 said:

Eh? Game is in much better spot than during Pre-HoT Celestial meta.

disagree. any meta during pre-hot has more fun to watch and play and more diverse.

i'm pretty sure that's why pvp scene is so much more alive and active now compared to pre-hot /sarcasm

Edited by Lighter.5631
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lighter.5631 said:

i'm pretty sure that's why pvp scene is so much more alive and active now compared to pre-hot /sarcasm

It's the same, if not better. Pre-HoT NA was dead, only Abjured was there stomping any opposition. Meanwhile EU had 2-3 teams based on time. We got more teams LATER post-HoT due to pro league. If you look at Teapot tournaments more teams compete with each other than they did during Pre-HoT tournament era.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morwath.9817 said:

It's the same, if not better. Pre-HoT NA was dead, only Abjured was there stomping any opposition. Meanwhile EU had 2-3 teams based on time. We got more teams LATER post-HoT due to pro league. If you look at Teapot tournaments more teams compete with each other than they did during Pre-HoT tournament era.

Can you atleast write truth instead of just cherry picking?
The facts are that in pre-HoT there was 0 reason to be "competetive" in PvP since there weren't really any rewards to do so. You kinda wrote about it being more popular post-HoT thanks to so called "pepe-league" that died so swiftly because it was impossible to watch for viewers (INSERT HERE POWERCREEP AND KITTENLOAD OF SHINY EFFECTS ON WHOLE SCREEN).
More people take part in that circus "tournaments" because there are "rewards".
Get your facts straight:
- Pre-HoT - No rewards = no reason to tryhard play = less people in tournaments but somehow more players were playing
- Post-HoT - Rewards = reason to tryhard play = more people in tournaments but somehow less players are playing

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

Can you atleast write truth instead of just cherry picking?
The facts are that in pre-HoT there was 0 reason to be "competetive" in PvP since there weren't really any rewards to do so. You kinda wrote about it being more popular post-HoT thanks to so called "pepe-league" that died so swiftly because it was impossible to watch for viewers (INSERT HERE POWERCREEP AND KITTENLOAD OF SHINY EFFECTS ON WHOLE SCREEN).
More people take part in that circus "tournaments" because there are "rewards".
Get your facts straight:
- Pre-HoT - No rewards = no reason to tryhard play = less people in tournaments but somehow more players were playing
- Post-HoT - Rewards = reason to tryhard play = more people in tournaments but somehow less players are playing

Cherry picking, or simple stating facts? You mistake "truth" with cause and effect relationship. Everything I said is true in post you quoted and I wrote in response to  @Lighter.5631 post, who wrote "PvP scene" was more alive pre-HoT than post-HoT, which was simply untrue.

It's nice you notice that scene being more or less alive is rather tied to rewards, than quality of gameplay. Since you got that yourself, you know as well that you can't decide if gameplay was better pre-HoT or post-HoT based on "pvp scene being more alive" making entire argument used by @Lighter.5631invalid (despite it being untrue as well).

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Morwath.9817 said:

Cherry picking, or simple stating facts? You mistake "truth" with cause and effect relationship. Everything I said is true in post you quoted and I wrote in response to  @Lighter.5631 post, who wrote "PvP scene" was more alive pre-HoT than post-HoT, which was simply untrue.

It's nice you notice that scene being more or less alive is rather tied to rewards, than quality of gameplay. Since you got that yourself, you know as well that you can't decide if gameplay was better pre-HoT or post-HoT based on "pvp scene being more alive" making entire argument used by @Lighter.5631invalid (despite it being untrue as well).

That's what you want to believe though, facts are facts, delusions are delusions.
People were massive quitting this game after they've witnessed clown fiesta and ignorance of A-net to balance that kitten properly.
Fact is that pre-HoT was more alive than post-HoT, just because there was a tiny spike of interest in that post-HoT is only because of overhyped powercreep that lasted quite short and pepe-league bringing some people.
Reality is: if A-net has focused on pepe-league from the very start of the game and actually cared about it, it would be 100x better than clown fiesta post-HoT release.
Another fact is: even though A-net has added rewards to PvP the people still were quiting game, the reason for that is "quality of gameplay" and negligence of the gamemode itself. There would be also massive difference in playerbase if the reward system of post-HoT in PvP was in the game from the very release date.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like how you like to push your opinion as facts. However, I've to agree with some parts. Both HoT and PoH were poorly balanced in regard of old specs vs new specs at release. Both added too much visual mess to the game. And yes, I agree it would be better if sPvP would be properly supported since beginning. Yet, I've to disagree that pre-HoT was better than now. More classes are viable and multiple of them got more than one playable build.

22 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Yo I love this comment so much

OP, how many people is "multiple"? I need to know how funny this is. 

I've often seen 3-5+

I guess this game isn't for me then, which is a shame. I gave Anet some extra support through their store during the few months I played, but I guess us nubs are just far too much of a joke for the 8 year veterans. Oh well, onwards to other games.

Yes guys this is called the problem of beginners. And the whole point is only that the balance is built around builds (meta-builds), not specializations  and awareness of the maps among 5 people. For some, this awareness is already 9 years old.
The awareness of some builds already knows no bounds and they are meta. Some meta builds are 6 years old, let's be honest this is just a fiasco.

As long as there is a quick reaction to builds or to the capabilities of the map and the number of people in the current realities, which will differ in experience in pressing the keys, with a difference of 9 years, 6 years, 4 years, etc., most likely we can not see the difference in whether or not the newcomers need it. Some beginners are bright, they understand what's going on.

P. S. I'm a beginner myself.

Edited by DomHemingway.8436
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Toad.4619 said:

I've often seen 3-5+

I guess this game isn't for me then, which is a shame. I gave Anet some extra support through their store during the few months I played, but I guess us nubs are just far too much of a joke for the 8 year veterans. Oh well, onwards to other games.

All games have mastery curves and this one is no exception to that, especially in the pvp/wvw scene. You will not learn in two months what players have mastered over the course of years, but how you approach that disparity can directly impact how much fun you have. 

Beginners are not a joke objectively, but what -is- funny is when players put another in an incredibly unfair situation, fail to capitalize on it due to not being skilled, then imply that the player on the receiving end of that onslaught managing to not die wasn't entertaining for them or survived by unfair means, thereby robbing the group of their "fun". That's like fighting a boss you don't know the mechanics of, dying, then claiming the game is unfun because it didn't let you win by button mashing. 

It would have gone better for this post if you were asking questions about class x, or how to beat class x as class y, but it doesn't appear you intended to do that at any point and were here to complain about a situation that didn't turn out the way you expected.

If I am mistaken about that, prove it. What class interactions feel like you're trying to swat a fly? How many of them have you fought? What class do you play, how long have you played it? There's 8 year veterans here that can probably give you tips for counterplay if you don't vaguely gesture. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Thanks 3