Disappointing that EoD Legendary Weapons can be bought and sold on the TP

On 1/21/2022 at 4:30 AM, AusarViled.7106 said:

I do not mind if it’s buyable, a casual player like me who gets 130 gold a year cause I pvp, do not get much gold. I was struggling to get gold to buy the griffin mount- why I made a post about it-  a legendary that cost 4500 gold….. never gonna happen.

therefore it matters not that it’s sell able. As people who would buy the legendary because they can’t craft it, won’t have the gold anyway to buy it.

and people who can craft it, likely already have legendaries so would not buy one anyway  the result is only whales who are new to game, which from my knowledge do not exist.  

tldr: if does not matter one bit. 

Doubt it's about what you're describing here, but rather about the fact that it allows to substitute ANY required gameplay to get "legendary item" with possibility of straight up throwing a credit card at it. 🤷‍♂️ 

On 1/21/2022 at 4:05 PM, Game of Bones.8975 said:

I was rethinking this issue and came up with another reason to allow purchasing Legendary weapons:

I think we have all been assuming each and every player has both expansions and at least 9 character slots (1 per profession). That's not always the case.

A player with the minimum number of characters (and doesn't want any more slots) is limited in the number of Legendary weapons they are capable of crafting due to the need to craft either Gift of Maguuma Mastery/Gift of Desert Mastery. Once a character has completed the "Gift" cycle they can't go back and do it again on the same character; the Hearts, Waypoints, and POIs don't reset. 

If a person DOESN'T have one or the other of the expansions they can't craft half the Legendaries currently listed. 

There's enough content with the core game for casual players to go through without the expansions, if they don't want them, but should they be penalized for not buying the expansions? Or is that just an "incentive" to buy the expansions?

Chances are, if you can affort crafting 10+ legendary weapons, you can also afford another character slot by converting fraction of that gold into gems 😅 (~240 gold no discount, ~160 gold discounted)

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Doubt it's about what you're describing here, but rather about the fact that it allows to substitute ANY required gameplay to get "legendary item" with possibility of straight up throwing a credit card at it. 🤷‍♂️ 

Chances are, if you can affort crafting 10+ legendary weapons, you can also afford another character slot by converting fraction of that gold into gems 😅 (~240 gold no discount, ~160 gold discounted)

Edited by Game of Bones.8975
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Game of Bones.8975 said:

If you would read my post, I said the individual had the number of character slots they wanted. So your comment about buying another slot to create a Legendary is invalid.

I did read your post and what I said is still valid though? The person can "have the number of character slots they wanted", but if they're spamming out legendaries, then they have gold to spare on character slots (in case they don't want any more character, it can really be ONE character slot, designated for re-creating and re-completing gifts for every next legendary they want to make), which simply becomes part of the legendary crafting requirement/experience. Nobody said that after they buy a character slot, they have to change their "main' -if they have one- or even keep playing that character. Not sure what point you're trying to make here.

If you made a weapon and wanted to get a little profit, should I say "No, that skin's too cool, you can't sell it"?

You could if you wanted to, what's your point and how is this relevant to what I've said?

______

And if we want to stick to exactly what you've been saying, then you've also said things like this: "I think we have all been assuming each and every player has both expansions and at least 9 character slots (1 per profession)." -and no, that is not what I was assuming at any point of this thread. Then, even if someone was assuming that for whatever reason, then you still have the answer I wrote about above (in this and previous post), which is a direct response to that.

And then there's this "take":

On 1/21/2022 at 4:05 PM, Game of Bones.8975 said:

There's enough content with the core game for casual players to go through without the expansions, if they don't want them, but should they be penalized for not buying the expansions? Or is that just an "incentive" to buy the expansions?

I mean if I want do play the game, but I don't want to pay for it, should I be penalized for it?

Yes, if the player wants to play/use expansion content, having to buy said content seems preeeeeetty normal to me. 🙄 

edit: the contents of the post I've just quoted seem to be gone now.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

On 12/3/2021 at 3:58 PM, EnemyCrusher.7324 said:

According to today's legendary weapons announcement (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-closer-look-at-the-guild-wars-2-end-of-dragons-legendary-weapons/)

This is sorely disappointing. Putting in significant time and resources toward a long term goal while other players whip out a credit card and get it instantly just feels bad.

We were given a free precursor though just for [re-]playing the story...

7 hours ago, Bristingr.5034 said:

We were given a free precursor though just for [re-]playing the story...

There is a story? I have played PoF before I played bass game and HoT.  But most of the story is in the living seasons, which I do not have.  It is one of the biggest problems with GW2 vs eso or swtor. If you want to play the story it’s going to cost you like 400$.

it’s why I think for story no one really cares about it, it’s just there for pleasing  sake of being there. People who play for the story do not play Gw2 

Edited by AusarViled.7106
Spelling error
  • Confused 11

42 minutes ago, AusarViled.7106 said:

There is a story? I have played PoF before I played bass game and HoT.  But most of the story is in the living seasons, which I do not have.  It is one of the biggest problems with GW2 vs eso or swtor. If you want to play the story it’s going to cost you like 400$.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Return

Aside of LW being free for active players (or """active""", since you need to log in once every ~3 months to unlock new episodes), whole LW s2-s5 was given for free over the last ~half year 🤷‍♂️ 

42 minutes ago, AusarViled.7106 said:

it’s why I think for story no one really cares about it, it’s just there for pleasing  sake of being there. People who play for the story do not play Gw2 

Weird take. You don't need to choose one aspect of the game you "play for".

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I did read your post and what I said is still valid though? The person can "have the number of character slots they wanted", but if they're spamming out legendaries, then they have gold to spare on character slots (in case they don't want any more character, it can really be ONE character slot, designated for re-creating and re-completing gifts for every next legendary they want to make), which simply becomes part of the legendary crafting requirement/experience. Nobody said that after they buy a character slot, they have to change their "main' -if they have one- or even keep playing that character. Not sure what point you're trying to make here.

You could if you wanted to, what's your point and how is this relevant to what I've said?

______

And if we want to stick to exactly what you've been saying, then you've also said things like this: "I think we have all been assuming each and every player has both expansions and at least 9 character slots (1 per profession)." -and no, that is not what I was assuming at any point of this thread. Then, even if someone was assuming that for whatever reason, then you still have the answer I wrote about above (in this and previous post), which is a direct response to that.

And then there's this "take":

I mean if I want do play the game, but I don't want to pay for it, should I be penalized for it?

Yes, if the player wants to play/use expansion content, having to buy said content seems preeeeeetty normal to me. 🙄 

edit: the contents of the post I've just quoted seem to be gone now.

My last post on this topic:

It seems ANET wants people to have Legendaries and they are finding ways for people to acquire them easily and as cheap as possible (at least for the latest, GEN 3). The new Armory, a full set of trinkets, sigils/runes, and armor...how much space is saved in inventory?

I found them to be kind of addictive, once I made my first (Nevermore) I looked to craft more.  Either the story required for the Precursors or stat swapping were my favorite parts. 

I crafted Binding of Ipos, Chuka and Champawat (my Renegade main), Eureka, Nevermore, Pharus, and Rodgort. I purchased the Predator early on (yes, for my Deadeye) and Sunrise (cheaper than Twilight). 

I have been grateful to those people who crafted and sold me those two and use them with as much pride as the ones I made on my own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, Game of Bones.8975 said:

It seems ANET wants people to have Legendaries and they are finding ways for people to acquire them easily

If they wanted legendaries to be "easly acquired", then they would be made easy to acquire. Lets not pretend that allowing to fight for them with your wallet is a company "wanting something to be easaly acquirable", lol.

and as cheap as possible (at least for the latest, GEN 3).

I wonder where did that information come from? Do you have the recipes for gen 3 legendaries that you're able to make this claim? Share it, please or stop pretending you know more than you do?

The new Armory, a full set of trinkets, sigils/runes, and armor...how much space is saved in inventory?

This is something that's already here for quite some time and has nothing to do with gen 3 or expansion, so not sure why you're trying to somehow pin it on this gen/thread.

I found them to be kind of addictive, once I made my first (Nevermore) I looked to craft more.  Either the story required for the Precursors or stat swapping were my favorite parts. 

That's great and I agree. But I'm not sure how that's a response to anything here? Like, which part I wrote about somehow changes its meaning or validity because of this response? I really don't know.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

When I first started playing I was impressed when people linked their legendaries. Its just not at all impressive anymore its so common because you can buy through it. A pinnacle reward of a game should be received from actually having to do the entire line and crafting to get it. Not just bought.  I also believe they should all be account bound, people already skip a lot of the game. Making it so people dont have to do anything but sit in LA and buy them is wrong for the health of the game.

Edited by Tiviana.2650
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

Decision that will benefit whales and tp barons. Again a design that makes the game little worse and removes the sense of accomplishment from the game.

Tell me what is making "the game a little worse" . 

Tell me what removes the sense of accomplishement from the game.

I fail to see what is the difference between making a legendary from scrap and gathering 3-5k gold from scrap. If purchasing a legendary using the TP removes the so called "accomplishment", then I would gladly accept those gold. I mean according to these people gathering such a large amount of gold isnt an accomplishement so I guess it should be easy enough for them to casually give players their gold. 

And if someone wants to buy a legendary using their credit card...well it's their money. The conversion gem-->gold is so bad anyway, I know personnally I wouldnt do that. But some people are so successful in life they can afford to casually throw money on gem and convert them into gold despite the garbage ratio. 

9 hours ago, Tiviana.2650 said:

When I first started playing I was impressed when people linked their legendaries. Its just not at all impressive anymore its so common because you can buy through it. A pinnacle reward of a game should be received from actually having to do the entire line and crafting to get it. Not just bought.  I also believe they should all be account bound, people already skip a lot of the game. Making it so people dont have to do anything but sit in LA and buy them is wrong for the health of the game.

What tells you people who linked leg in chat crafted their item from scratch ? Gen 1 leg could and can still be purchased from the TP. Yes legendary are commons nowaday because almost everyone own one. The only thing that is legendary in a legendary thing is the stats change and I suppose the skin. 

Also why is it bad for the health of the game ? What part makes it bad exactly ? Legendaries are not gamebreaking nor OP stuff, however they are very convenient and it becomes addictive.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 1/26/2022 at 5:47 AM, AusarViled.7106 said:

First, Living World Seasons don't cost that much, if you were unlucky and didn't log in during a chapter's release, in which case, it's completely FREEE, and,

Secondly, I can't imagine how one can compare GW2's paying model with ESO's Crown store predatory tactics: paying for new expansions, aka chapters, paying for DLCs, who offer just a new dungeons and a trial, paying even for bloody flaming firelogs to place in your house's fireplace, because... "we are kittening greedy." Not to mention the loot boxes with the exclusive shinnies, the mounts (and not just skins like GW2 offers in the gem store), the crafting motifs and styles, or, the bag for your crafting materials, which you can't have without subscription.

They don't play ESO either, but FFXIV.  ESO is just a copy/paste of all the previous TES single-player titles in one package -problem is this copy/paste was badly done and served as the pretext for establishing a very predatory online store.

And that's my opinion.

• Like 2

Now, on topic.

I don't understand all the fuss being made about EoD legendaries be sold on the Trading Post.

I have personally crafted three legendary weapons so far: Incinerator (from generation 1), and Chuka and Champawat, and Nevermore (from generation 2).  The materials needed for each legendary are too many, and humanly impossible to gather and obtain them all by yourself. At some point, and in order to keep your sanity, you have to buy materials from the Trading Post, which means you buy materials other players have gathered. How is this different from buying a precursor and continue the crafting? 

Or, if you have the gold why not buying it from the Trading Post? The second Incinerator I got was bought from the TP.  Why is this such a big deal?

13 hours ago, Tiviana.2650 said:

A pinnacle reward of a game should be received from actually having to do the entire line and crafting to get it. Not just bought.

Legendaries are a pinnacle reward of grinding for materials.

I know that out of the three legendaries I crafted I am only proud of Chuka and Champawat because its story was amazing and very touching; it was funny to do some required activities while carrying a baby tiger on my back too.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1