Disappointing that EoD Legendary Weapons can be bought and sold on the TP

At most they should make the materials aquired from eod content such as map ebents and fishing tradeable so their value is ensured in the long term.

Making the whole weapon sellable however is bad and devalues their legendary sense, that problem was identified with gen 1 so why are we going back on that change now?

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

10 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Nobody’s impressed by your in-game shinies even if they aren’t tradable, so why not allow them to be traded?

That crowd in Lion’s Arch oohing and aahing over your accomplishments in a video game? They only exist in your head.

I dont quite care what others think but i like when i do smth, making the achievement of making it entirely ignorable lessen my enjoyment of the process.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

25 minutes ago, zealex.9410 said:

Making the whole weapon sellable however is bad and devalues their legendary sense, that problem was identified with gen 1 so why are we going back on that change now?

Probably because what some players thought of as problem, others saw as a positive feature.

There was never a consensus about whether gen1 being sellable was a good or bad thing.

• Like 12
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Probably because what some players thought of as problem, others saw as a positive feature.

There was never a consensus about whether gen1 being sellable was a good or bad thing.

There was a publicly state opinion by many players that the legendaries being tradeable devalued their legendary status while the same im not sure can be argued for the opposite opinion.

There were alot of olayers who liked that gen 2 wasnt gonna be in the tp.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

Since whales do a considerable part of the income for most online games, Anet has to make sure that whales can whale. So the decision is understandable.

Personally im more concerned about the time itll take for the other dragon sets to be released. I hope we arent looking at a gen2.5 magnitude of padding there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, zealex.9410 said:

There was a publicly state opinion by many players that the legendaries being tradeable devalued their legendary status while the same im not sure can be argued for the opposite opinion.

There were publicly stated opinions by many players to that end, indeed. What you're omitting is that every single one was contested by other players. And of course there were players that didn't like gen2 not being sellable.

It's better to present a whole picture.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Jojo.6140 said:

Since whales do a considerable part of the income for most online games, Anet has to make sure that whales can whale. So the decision is understandable.

Personally im more concerned about the time itll take for the other dragon sets to be released. I hope we arent looking at a gen2.5 magnitude of padding there.

This^

i get it. It’s upsetting, but I get it, because I want ANet to keep making this game at a quality level, just as they do

i am against this particular decision, but yeah- I get it. I still put forth that those first few Gen2 weapons were the perfect sweet spot of gold sink/player achievement investment 

I have the opposite opinion. I play this for fun, and don't feel very competitive about it, because in RL I did a lot of competitions in some domains. I never wanted to grind for a legendary since obtaining ascended is easier and you can get so many of them for the price and time you spend on a legendary. Buying selling will make them more available and lower the prices in a while.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

Time is the only currency.

Whether you spend it in-game or IRL, you are spending time to get anything in this game and for some it is far more efficient to just work some overtime and buy items they like and then just play what they want, rather than grinding out stuff for many hours. 

What's the point of playing a computer game if you'd rather be at work? 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

What's the point of spending 20 hours in-game farming for 600g when I can buy that with 1 hours overtime at work?

Then I can just spend those 19 game hours playing content I enjoy.

You're spending 1 hour of your life at work to give the money to game developers for making 19 hours of content you don't find fun so you can get an imaginary weapon. You can pay a graphic artist with your money to make these for you, exactly to your specifications, without even playing a game at all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

I’m repeatedly amazed by how much weight some players give to the name, “legendary”. 

We’re all okay with “rares” not being rare and “exotics” not being exotic, but “it’s not worth being called ‘legendary’” is somehow considered sufficient argument over how they are designed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

Only the uber rich are gonna be 'lol I bought all of them on the TP. I'm rich you know.' you know this right?

Also we have no details at all right now how they will function on the TP. The precursor is just like the other precurors(one skin), however the legendaries have different appearances. So let's think this. Each weapon has 6 appearances. Aurene's will probably be the base appearance. However, there's no mention on that post if you have to lock in that weapon (ie add it to your armory) to get the other appearances. So until we get that info on how that goes about, the safest conclusion is gonna be, that the only ones on the TP are gonna be Aurene's skins until we are told differently. NOW:

If we follow the logic that the one appearance that will ever show up will be the base appearance because to get the other appearances you will have to add the legendary into your armory, that would draw the conclusion that there will still be time and resources sunk into the legendary for the person to get the appearance they want. So even if I swiped a card or got gifted gems on my birthday or some kitten, I'd still have to invest time into playing the game, as the posts says you won't have to spend a ton of resources remaking each weapon. It DOES NOT SAY what the mat/time sink is for each appearance. For all we know, it'll have a collection style achievement like the other legendaries where we have to do a combination of a bunch of stuff on top of some fractals. We also don't know if they are releasing the appearances all at once or spacing them out, like how they did with the gen 2 legendaries. Verdarach being released in Living World Episode 3, etc. From the post:

Finishing the story journal in Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons will unlock the ability to learn to craft all of this generation’s precursors.

Which leads to further questions on if that really will be the case that the next living world episodes may be based on each dragon. Until then, all of this is still speculation because again, all we got is a skritt shinies! post.

Without further information upon how they plan on having the legendary sold on the TP with the appearances, I'd rather hold off on judging if it's disappointing or not until I get more than a 'look new shinies' post on the news feed. I have a strong feeling that only the foolish will be selling their things early on in the expansion, hoping to make a quick buck. Anet will get a boost in revenue which will make the shareholder/investor dingbats happy as they don't care where the money comes from a release just as long as it makes money. And probably a majority (myself included) will be sitting there playing fashion wars in the wardrobe at the bank to see what goes well with what. If I'm gonna invest into a time sink, I'm making kitten sure that at the end I have the skins to make me look good.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

19 hours ago, Bingus.4236 said:

You're spending 1 hour of your life at work to give the money to game developers for making 19 hours of content you don't find fun so you can get an imaginary weapon. You can pay a graphic artist with your money to make these for you, exactly to your specifications, without even playing a game at all.

Not sure how you've arrived at this, but you've got it all wrong.

I'm spending 1 hour at work so I can pay game developers for an imaginary weapon that I can then use to play 19 hours of things I like. As opposed to playing 20 hours of things I don't like for the imaginary weapon.

This is just a more efficient use of my time. YMMV.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

Not sure how you've arrived at this, but you've got it all wrong.

I'm spending 1 hour at work so I can pay game developers for an imaginary weapon that I can then use to play 19 hours of things I like. As opposed to playing 20 hours of things I don't like for the imaginary weapon.

This is just a more efficient use of my time. YMMV.

There are 2 people

Person1: They play 20 hours of gameplay they enjoy and spend no extra money

Person2: They play 1 hour of gameplay they enjoy, pay extra money that they have to spend an hour extra in work.

There's nothing efficient about what you do, you are paying more and getting less. If you want to get imaginary weapons in games for no "effort", it's more "efficient" to buy unity assets,

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, Bingus.4236 said:

There are 2 people

Person1: They play 20 hours of gameplay they enjoy and spend no extra money

Person2: They play 1 hour of gameplay they enjoy, pay extra money that they have to spend an hour extra in work.

There's nothing efficient about what you do, you are paying more and getting less.

Do the math right.

The second person actually has two choices:

they can play 20 hours of gameplay they do not enjoy and spend no extra money, or

They can alternatively play 19 hours of gameplay they enjoy, and work one hour for money to buy stuff they like from the content they would not have enjoyed had they played it.

The fact that the first person actually enjoys 20 hours of grind does in no way factor in the choices of the second person, because they happen to like different things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 3

On 12/4/2021 at 7:17 AM, zealex.9410 said:

I dont quite care what others think but i like when i do smth, making the achievement of making it entirely ignorable lessen my enjoyment of the process.

Let's see, atm I have a full set of heavy and light leggy armor as well as one piece of medium leggy armor and am working on the second medium piece now. All of that comes from playing WvW, a game mode I enjoy. When I finish my medium set of armor, I'll work on the WvW backpack and then the rings. The only trinket I have now is the leggy amulet from doing the Return To stuff.

For weapons I have The Bifrost, The Dreamer, 2 Bolts, and The Juggernaut, all of which I bought. As I type this, I have 1,300 gold saved toward my next leggy weapon. Some of the gold for all that did come from converting gems to gold. If there is something in the gem store I want, I'll buy the gems to get it and will then convert any leftover gems to gold. Most of the gold though comes from playing the game. 

The reasoning behind all this is simple for me. I'm getting the leggy armor doing something I enjoy and gather the gold for the leggy weapons doing things I enjoy. Trying to get the armor while crafting the weapons at the same time would be too much for me. Obtaining the leggy armor then crafting each leggy weapon would take forever. Getting the armor and the trinkets while saving up gold for the weapons is doable.

Zealex, I'm sorry that my buying the weapons lessens your enjoyment of the process. In all honesty though, that doesn't mean that I'm going to stop buying them. Heck, the next leggy weapon I need is a greatsword and as I don't like any of the Gen 1 greatswords, I will probably just wait to buy an EoD one.

Edited by Chichimec.9364
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If I stand in my backyard grilling a hamburger and you roll up with McDonalds, my burger's still going to be delicious, so I actually don't mind this decision.

Gen 1's have been on the market for ages, and I'm glad they're there as a option for those who want them - I've never been able to afford one nor have I had the inclination to save up, but I can appreciate the time and effort that goes into crafting a legendary and then putting together the gold to list it for sale. More power to the people that enjoy doing this and happy trails to those who buy from them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

If I stand in my backyard grilling a hamburger and you roll up with McDonalds, my burger's still going to be delicious, so I actually don't mind this decision.

Way more delicious, in fact.

Unless you're the worst hamburger griller on the planet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/3/2021 at 4:58 PM, EnemyCrusher.7324 said:

According to today's legendary weapons announcement (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-closer-look-at-the-guild-wars-2-end-of-dragons-legendary-weapons/)

This is sorely disappointing. Putting in significant time and resources toward a long term goal while other players whip out a credit card and get it instantly just feels bad.

How's this any different from the original Core Legendaries? And like anything else that can be bought, why does it matter. You have two paths, time and effort, or money.

Edited by Faridah.8431
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1