Disappointing that EoD Legendary Weapons can be bought and sold on the TP

According to today's legendary weapons announcement (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-closer-look-at-the-guild-wars-2-end-of-dragons-legendary-weapons/)

the precursors and weapons themselves can be put up for sale on the Trading Post

This is sorely disappointing. Putting in significant time and resources toward a long term goal while other players whip out a credit card and get it instantly just feels bad.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 26

I agree. The 1st gen being purchasable through a credit card was a major fault of the game at launch and set up this pattern of rewards consistently being undermined by those willing to swipe their way to a reward. It is hard to attract people to the game when they learn that pretty much anything can be bought with real money. "Guild Wars 2 reveals new legendary weapons that can purchased with your credit card" is hardly a headline the game needs right now.

That being said, the variant skins look to be obtained through actually playing the game and I think it would be neat to have a title or something for collecting all the variants. That would be a nice reward for the completionists and devoted achievers.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 9

This is a pleasant surprise. Players who want to work towards a legendary, or are not willing to buy from other players, are free to make one on their own. I never buy the legendaries I use. Players who are willing to spend gold can buy legendaries from other players who earned them and want another method of earning gold. Selling gen 1 legendaries is my main source of gold in this game and now, I have another option should I buy EoD.

I can kind of understand the argument that legendaries should be earned. However, legendaries are not gem store items. Every legendary created has been earned by the player who made it. It is up to that person what he does with the legendary he earned. It is nobody else's business whether some other player using the legendary earned it himself.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

On 12/4/2021 at 7:58 AM, EnemyCrusher.7324 said:

According to today's legendary weapons announcement (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-closer-look-at-the-guild-wars-2-end-of-dragons-legendary-weapons/)

This is sorely disappointing. Putting in significant time and resources toward a long term goal while other players whip out a credit card and get it instantly just feels bad.

I am glad. This is a smart business decision and ANet IS a business organisation after all. There is NO SUBSCRIPTION FEES here and this is a way to increase their revenues and besides I bet many players will be happy to make more legendaries as another source of  gold income. Except for those elitists, of course. They love to brag and want everything only for themselves.

I could say the opposite too. It would be sorely disappointing that we used hard earned real money to support ANet over all these years and yet many of the good stuff in game are unreachable but only for players who pay very minimal to support the game and many even refused to pay a single cent to support ANet. Yes, they get to enjoy the contents and earned all the account bound stuff, plus they can buy EVERY gem store items with the gold they farmed without paying with real money.

If we are going one way why not have items in the gem store that can only be bought with credit cards? Just like the many shiny stuff in the game that can only be earn by spending endless hours in the game? It has to be two ways.

Without players willing to pay real money to continue to support the game contents and stuff, do you think GW2 can last till today? We will end even before HoT. On average, I spent $80 every month for years and I bet there are many like me or spent even more. We have commitments in life besides gaming but we want pretty stuff too.

I know this forum is no lack of elitists , so go ahead happy flaming.

Edited by Mil.3562
typo
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

49 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

The prices will be through the roof at the start. I don't think it is an issue if people are willing to pay for it. It isn't going to represent accomplishment for most players anyway.

Well, if they didn'tsell it on the TP and made the path to getting the different skins, the weapons could actually represent accomplishment. It's a question of design.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

Just now, lokh.2695 said:

Well, if they didn'tsell it on the TP and made the path to getting the different skins, the weapons could actually represent accomplishment. It's a question of design.

You get a precursor from doing Return to Living Story. The prestige is non-existent. Unless your point is somehow the difference between the precursor is substantially different than the legendary?
You can buy gen 1 precursor and gen 1 legendaries. You can't buy gen 2 precursors directly.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Svarty.8019 said:

This is good, it means the game is in the LUXURY sector, rather than Entertainment. Right, bankers?

You would be right... if the gen 3 legendaries can only be obtained by purchasing from Anet with gold/money. Except that is not how it works, at all.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

If it is the player's trading post and not the gem store, I see no problem with it. Anything that can be crafted or collected - should be available to sell.  That is part of the player crafting system.  The prices will likely be through the roof, and I have no interest in buying them at any price, but for those that want them... not an issue. 😎

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Flapjackson.1596 said:

I agree. The 1st gen being purchasable through a credit card was a major fault of the game at launch and set up this pattern of rewards consistently being undermined by those willing to swipe their way to a reward.

TBH, i'd really like to know how many players, percentage wise, obtained their legendaries that way. Personally i'd not be surprised if those players turned out to be only a small minority among all gen1 legendary holders. I'm pretty certain most players that bought theirs from TP, used for that the gold they earned ingame.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Nobody’s impressed by your in-game shinies even if they aren’t tradable, so why not allow them to be traded?

That crowd in Lion’s Arch oohing and aahing over your accomplishments in a video game? They only exist in your head.

I view the matter as less of a internet bragging right and more as a matter of "advertising". A new player enters a game and sees a cool shiny reward a player has. How did you get it? I did X content. You are giving your players attractive billboards to encourage people to do content in the game. If the answer is always "I swiped for gems then converted to gold and bought it", people will be turned off from the game as they view it as an illegitimate and unsatisfying way to get rewards. This turns reward-driven and achievement-driven people away from your game.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7

2 hours ago, EnemyCrusher.7324 said:

Then whip out your credit card and save yourself the mind numbing, pointless tedium that is gathering "10,000 of X resource"

This isn't WoW/FF14 where the most prestigious gear is earned through hard team content

This is GW2 where the most prestigious gear is earned through dumb luck, TP bots, and hundreds of hours of repetitive manual labor

Oh and hard cash since 99% of cool gear is Gem Store/BLC releases anyway

Edited by Substance E.4852
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, EnemyCrusher.7324 said:

You always could swipe the credit card. Even for legendary armor, just have to buy enough gold for carries.

Most of the timesink in the Gen 2 legendaries is not the collection, but the massive gold sink worth of mats, which again gets swiped with the credit card.

• Like 5

It's a game. Why do I care how other players got an item. Why do they care how I got one. Play the game and pay attention to what you are doing. There is literally no reason why another player's methods of acquisition should impact your gameplay. All items should be tradeable. This accountbound, soulbound and tradeable stuff is needlessly confusing. Keep it simple.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, EnemyCrusher.7324 said:

Why do you care so much what other players do? I think it’s good that they can be sold. Will I sell the legendary I craft? No, but I don’t mind if others sell theirs. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Well the good news and the most important thing, is that, unlike gen 1 at launch, you can earn it without feeling like swiping the credit card is the most reliable way of obtaining it.

You can complain that gen 3 legendaries are not like gen 2 but let’s be real for a second, many steps of gen 2 and especially gen 2.5 legendaries were achievable with a credit card.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Mil.3562 said:

I bet many players will be happy to make more legendaries as another source of  gold income.

Yep, that's indeed worth a thought. I am glad you get the option as I am only going to get one dagger for myself - if I decide I want to experience the other weapons' journeys as well, I then can sell the items.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2