Painful few dozen hours to start having fun in WvW

The Boz.2038

Not really getting the purpose of this thread. New players don't start with ... anything. Is that some unreasonable thing now? Do we just throw new players a full set of Ranks and Legendary gear and say "go at it because you're a NEW player"?

I mean, if Anything the game is very accommodating because it allows you to jump into WvW with your PVE gear.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

I have finished 99% of the achievements because they too were reduced. What now? Achievement are also fluff goals that are pretty meaningless to me in the first place, a bunch of titles that you can't even display in wvw and only see when you target someone? whoopdeedoo. Title I'm using these days isn't even from wvw.

I don't think they should be gating 3 QOL things in wvw, the mount, gliding, autoloot. That I think we can all agree on.

So they should strip out rank masteries for qol, siege, rewards as in pips? mistforged skins?, legendary backpiece?

What's left? legendary pieces that people clamoring takes too long too?

What rank do you guys think people should be done with wvw altogether? 350? 500?

Whatever I'm going back to read mode.

Sounds like your opinion on this is a lot stronger than mine, because I honestly don't care. I was just giving my two cents because I empathize with the new player experience, and I get where OP is coming from.

I don't think carrots are what WvW is about. As far as I'm concerned, the vast majority of people that are WvW mains aren't there for any long term goals. But this forum and people in game have proven me wrong time and again, so maybe I'm being too optimistic thinking anyone cares about community and socializing.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Are the pve masteries hilarious too? maybe we should just ask anet to take out all masteries cause it's a hilarious inconvenience to you.

Lol, you know a lot of people would say yes to this. Until a few months ago, I had only several PoF masteries (canyon jumping and high vault) and really had little trouble.  And even now I'm proudly bottom  25% percentile (for players 4k hours or more) on gw2efficiency for mastery points. I got pretty sick of it after the 1st expansion.

The mastery system was a pretty giant meme when HoT came out. Not only did we have autoloot gated behind an expansion, but there were plenty of people complaining that masteries were locked behind other masteries and to this very day people still complain about HoT even after it was made easier.

Compared against PoF, where most of the masteries are optional, and then there's IBS.... which is the other extreme of HoT, where they seem really underwhelming.

Also it's not like never touched WvW ability points either.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/upgrading-world-vs-world-upgrades/

• We reduced the total number of ability ranks of Guard Killer and Defense Against Guards from 10 to 5.
    • The Applied Fortitude and Applied Strength effects have been removed.
    • Ability lines that increased percentages from 1% to 5% now increase percentages from 2% to 10%.
    • We reduced the total cost of specific siege weapon lines from 75 points to 60 points.
    • We reduced the total cost of the Supply Capacity line from 300 points to 145 points.
    • The Supply Master and Mercenary’s Bane lines remain at 15 points.
    • We normalized all ability progression tracks of five ranks per line to 35 points.
    • We normalized all ability progression tracks of four ranks per line to 15 points.

First, we wanted to reduce the costs of ability lines to make them feel more attainable, even to the majority of WvW players with a world ranking under 300. Second, we wanted to rebalance specific ability lines that felt either too weak or too mandatory.

It's not unreasonable to take another look after 6 years.

Also on this topic as a whole, I'm pretty sure everyone in this topic already maxed out everything and has a bigger issue with excess points. So why is this such a big deal lol? I think it'd be nice if that ram gets built when there's only several of us.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1

I think it would make a lot of sense to set the 'ability point cap' at 1000 and adjust ranks accordingly. When new masteries are added (IE Gliding or Warclaw) others should be adjusted so the maximum stays the same. It's not like anyone playing WvW for a while suddenly has new masteries to earn, they're sitting on a fat stack. And it makes little sense to 'extend' the progression for players who are new.

And is stated elsewhere in the topic, 1k is approximately what you can get in a year of seriously playing WvW if you use boosters smartly, and that doesn't feel like to much work. The only thing I might adjust is things like warclaw mastery needing 166 points but QoL like Mercenary's Bane and Repair master costs 15. That seems backwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, God.2708 said:

I think it would make a lot of sense to set the 'ability point cap' at 1000 and adjust ranks accordingly. When new masteries are added (IE Gliding or Warclaw) others should be adjusted so the maximum stays the same. It's not like anyone playing WvW for a while suddenly has new masteries to earn, they're sitting on a fat stack. And it makes little sense to 'extend' the progression for players who are new.

And is stated elsewhere in the topic, 1k is approximately what you can get in a year of seriously playing WvW if you use boosters smartly, and that doesn't feel like to much work. The only thing I might adjust is things like warclaw mastery needing 166 points but QoL like Mercenary's Bane and Repair master costs 15. That seems backwards.

Current max is 1226 points. It's not much different from 1000 is it? And if we count "basic" masteries "needed" for flexible solo/smallscale and zerg gameplay, no QoL redundant stuff (such as speed boosts for doing stuff) and max them which isnt even technically needed except for warclaw/gliding/catapult and maybe arguably supply capacity:
Catapult mastery: 60
Flame Ram Mastery: 60
Guard killer: 35
Defense Against Guards: 35
Provisions Master: 55
Siege Bunker: 35
Siege Might: 35
Supply Capacity: 145
War Gliding Mastery: 60 
Warclaw Mastery: 166 
= 686 ranks

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, it's really just the addition of the  Warclaw (166) that caused the disruption. It should have been closer to War Gliding (60, but you really only need 20 in practice). 

We could even keep Warclaw the same amount of points, but move lance down to 4, the group speed boost to 6, and the chain at the very end. (heck buff the useless chain a little if you want). Also make the group speed boost work in pve for memes since there's no way reason to ever use it in pve.

Siege might probably works fine with just 3 points so nbd.

I've never liked Supply Capacity since day 1, but we can always keep that as is. It actually is kinda high impact in small scale.

Flame Ram is one of the few pieces of siege operable without full mastery. Maybe swap 4 and 5?

Also add another ability for 5000 points that lets me always shoot Christmas presents from catapults. Now that would be progression. 🙃

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Current max is 1226 points. It's not much different from 1000 is it? And if we count "basic" masteries "needed" for flexible solo/smallscale and zerg gameplay, no QoL redundant stuff (such as speed boosts for doing stuff) and max them which isnt even technically needed except for warclaw/gliding/catapult and maybe arguably supply capacity:
Catapult mastery: 60
Flame Ram Mastery: 60
Guard killer: 35
Defense Against Guards: 35
Provisions Master: 55
Siege Bunker: 35
Siege Might: 35
Supply Capacity: 145
War Gliding Mastery: 60 
Warclaw Mastery: 166 
= 686 ranks

Except it doesn't reflect the sample size we have on gw2efficiency whatsoever. Half of players over 4K hours don't even have 686 ranks.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Also add another ability for 5000 points that lets me always shoot Christmas presents from catapults. Now that would be progression. 🙃

Now that's a fun idea. But also kinda surprised seige cosmetics aren't a gem store thing...well not really surprised but yeah.