The infinite many problems with the most recent design changes and philosophies revealed by Anet and Gw2 for EoD.

4 hours ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

Buy 20 accounts from a website and log in daily. Easy way to earn 1k gold a month without even playing the game. Otherwise it wouldnt be possible anyways. A legendary requires 404 MC each. Thats almost 7 months of daily logins and strike mc for a single legendary. Just the mc timegate... The other solution is obviously buying them off the tp from those login script exploiters.

The true endgame gonna be not playing the game.
ANet devs are disconnected from their own game.

• Like 7
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I find it quite funny that people have been complaining about mystic coin acquisition since it started getting way overpriced(this helps the gold trading/bot  sites LOL) , and Anet with all their wisdom decided lets nerf the supply even more. Mystic coins are the new bitcoin. I like how they are using the blog post to gaslight people. It is also interesting that they do not consider the currencies as something of value, funny since it is the biggest investment TIME, so flushing mystic coins in the mystic toilet is better investment since the discount is not real discount.
The more annoying thing is that they want to funnel people away from fractals to strikes by nerfing mystic coin acquisition, I play casually PVE and kittening dislike when the game manipulates me into grinding the same thing over and over and over and the whole change makes you grind strikes instead of fractals.

Here is a dumb solution just add a dailly kill x strike/fractal/raid bosses to get x mystic coins you get to finish it faster the harder the encounter so you do Dhuum CM and you finish it in one go and you just rotate the special do it quick bosses dailly, tiered achievement like the wintersday dailies so you get something on the way and maybe you get bonus for finishing the whole thing. Now it would at least not make you bored and spice up the daily routine.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

Too much speculation in the OP thread. The bottomline is that Anet is making the changes to promote more content to a wider audience, which is contrary to the premise of the OP. 

Yup, certain groups are collateral damaged, even if that damage appears to contradict Anet's goals ... but the things they are changing were already in contradiction to their goals to begin with ... so it was inevitable.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7

25 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Too much speculation in the OP thread. The bottomline is that Anet is making the changes to promote more content to a wider audience, which is contrary to the premise of the OP. 

Yup, certain groups are collateral damaged, even if that damage appears to contradict Anet's goals ... but the things they are changing were already in contradiction to their goals to begin with ... so it was inevitable.

The problem is that Arenanet has always been consistently inconsistent and when they kitten up something with a grand change they do not backtrack on it even if they know it was a mistake, they just plop a new shiny thing on top of the broken mess bellow. Little use of common sense could really help them notice that maybe they should not put some grand paragraph that says "We want to promote all content" and then do the opposite two sentences later. The big issue here is that they are putting all their marbles on one thing yet again and if it sucks , like DRMs(idea good, execution terrible), and it is needed for another type of content it will give them Net negative in the long run.
There is also that some statements kinda reek of World of Warcraft failed concepts and maybe since I have worked in mobile game development there are some statements that just pop up as red flags and feel really "mobile gammy tricks" to say.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Vancho.8750 said:

The problem is that Arenanet has always been consistently inconsistent and when they kitten up something with a grand change they do not backtrack on it even if they know it was a mistake, they just plop a new shiny thing on top of the broken mess bellow. Little use of common sense could really help them notice that maybe they should not put some grand paragraph that says "We want to promote all content" and then do the opposite two sentences later. The big issue here is that they are putting all their marbles on one thing yet again and if it sucks , like DRMs(idea good, execution terrible), and it is needed for another type of content it will give them Net negative in the long run.
There is also that some statements kinda reek of World of Warcraft failed concepts and maybe since I have worked in mobile game development there are some statements that just pop up as red flags and feel really "mobile gammy tricks" to say.  

Yup ... but it's too late to fix that. I mean, the current game is an unsolvable mess, so they have to do the best they can with it. Of all the choices, the changes they are making are probably some of the least bad ones. 

What we are seeing from Anet is what you call a lack of strategy and 'plan B'. They just went full bore with HoT, it wasn't inline with the game at the time and the result is a messy recovery.  That's a deep scar that just won't ever disappear. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Re Part 1: Why should we pretend that this move is for anything other than the fact that it takes far less development to make a room with a boss in it (strikes) than to develop a fractal path.  Fewer players playing fractals will result in less demand for more/new fractals.  While ANet's stated reasons may have entered their thinking, the fact is that money is always going to play the prime role in development decisions, and reducing the resources needed to produce harder instanced content and thus freeing those resources to produce other content to appeal to the large numbers of players who don't do harder instanced content is likely to promote retention among the latter group.

Re Part 2: While it is the developer's prerogative -- or maybe even necessity -- to "shake up the meta," I question the ANet assumption that what players want is to just play their favored profession.  It's my experience that what players want is to play their favored profession and build.  Why do I think this?  Inclusivity complaints over the years have been mostly about playing a build (i.e., not having to play a meta build).  If I'm correct, then the proposed change will not address that inclusivity concern in the slightest.  I believe the OP is correct in saying that the changes will reduce the number of party slots wherein one can play one's chosen profession/build by reducing the number of DPS-only slots in efficiency groups.  A side effect is that laissez-faire groups (who don't adhere strictly to a meta) will have less access to the given boons.

Edited by IndigoSundown.5419
clarity
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Yup ... but it's too late to fix that. I mean, the current game is an unsolvable mess, so they have to do the best they can with it. Of all the things, the changes they are making are probably some of the least bad choices. 

Could have just reduced the mystic coin drop rate instead of nuking it, maybe even added it to all intenced content and pop a cap on how many you can get, so at least you have the option to do variety of content instead of grind the new shiny mode till we decide we are bored of making it. They have huge amount of content that they have that is not obsolete but they choose to funnel people into grinding the new thing.

I do not do fractals much, i pop in to play around from time to time yet the change is pissing me off, not because i give a kitten about the coins but because they are actively making the game worse and more annoying to play when they could have made it way way better.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Vancho.8750 said:

Could have just reduced the mystic coin drop rate instead of nuking it, maybe even added it to all intenced content and pop a cap on how many you can get, so at least you have the option to do variety of content instead of grind the new shiny mode till we decide we are bored of making it. They have huge amount of content that they have that is not obsolete but they choose to funnel people into grinding the new thing.

I do not do fractals much, i pop in to play around from time to time yet the change is pissing me off, not because i give a kitten about the coins but because they are actively making the game worse and more annoying to play when they could have made it way way better.  

Could have done lots of things. I don't know why they didn't do any of the thousands of things they could have done but I know they chose one of those ways for whatever reason they had. The problem here is that it's likely all those ways, whatever they are, none of them are really good options to achieve what they want. 

I mean, does anyone actually think it's a bad choice that Anet wants to funnel people into the 'new thing'? I don't see that as unreasonable or unexpected at all. In fact, it's weird to expect anything BUT a change that would make people more likely to do 'the new thing'. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I think it all far apart when you have classes that cant give out one of these 2 boons even if they are dps aimed classes. We are about to see some of the highest dps classes added to the game yet that come with support quickness and support alacitry something we do not see from all of the support classes and for sure not from dps classes.

15 hours ago, Shenkopp.6317 said:

Part 2: Since class balance also relates to player count.

PvE class balance. Here is an example of where diversity isn’t always a good thing. I don’t understand what the point of changing specs and target caps are. I think Anet is completely missing the ball. Here’s why.

Just a excuse to wreck old well stablished builds.

like they did to warrior in the past messing with warrior burst.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

who cares what Anets "goals" are if they are wrong? the point of my post is to try to get them to realize that they are not thinking about the bigger picture. I think if you reread my post it's very clear how I explain why collateral damage groups is not a good decision and why the changes they are making do not promote a wider audience. Even by definition, they are not promoting a wider audience? isn't it speculation to say everything you just said as well? I love the optimism though. I personally could not convince myself that everything is shiny on the other side of the unknown. According to you though, anets making all the right decisions. Oh wait... you're speculating just as much as me

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Shenkopp.6317 said:

who cares what Anets "goals" are if they are wrong? the point of my post is to try to get them to realize that they are not thinking about the bigger picture. I think if you reread my post it's very clear how I explain why collateral damage groups is not a good decision and why the changes they are making do not promote a wider audience. Even by definition, they are not promoting a wider audience? isn't it speculation to say everything you just said as well? I love the optimism though. I personally could not convince myself that everything is shiny on the other side of the unknown. According to you though, anets making all the right decisions. Oh wait... you're speculating just as much as me

that wasn't even their goal, they comment on their goals in the article. "With Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons, we’re adjusting existing reward systems to make it clearer how they fit together, to ensure they’re exciting and have long-term appeal, and to give them a role in crafting legendary equipment." where do they say they are trying to reach a larger audience. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

I play Fractal CMs regularly and must say that this is a great change. It makes MCs accessible to far more players. So the criticism here against this decision is wrong and unfair to the majority of players. 

U missed the whole point. Nobody said they shouldn't make MC more available through other game modes. It's about nuking them from fractals while doubling the price. Before I could get my 14 clovers/week alone. Now I can't even get enough to convert my clovers. I actually have to buy from others. Do you even follow?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

8 minutes ago, George.9745 said:

U missed the whole point. Nobody said they shouldn't make MC more available through other game modes. It's about nuking them from fractals while doubling the price. Before I could get my 14 clovers/week alone. Now I can't even get enough to convert my clovers. I actually have to buy from others. Do you even follow?

No. It’s toxic behavior from an elitist minority. Thankfully the majority of Fractal CM players is not like that. This is a good decision for the majority of players. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 8

2 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

No. It’s toxic behavior from an elitist minority. Thankfully the majority of Fractal CM players is not like that. This is a good decision for the majority of players. 

What is elitist about wanting rewards for harder content to be better? Ppl use that word this day for anything. Oh you log in 4 times a week? You must be an elitist.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

4 minutes ago, George.9745 said:

What is elitist about wanting rewards for harder content to be better? Ppl use that word this day for anything. Oh you log in 4 times a week? You must be an elitist.

It’s not about that. Fractal CMs will still be rewarding. It’s about not wanting other players, the majority, to have access to MCs. That’s toxic and elitist. This behavior hurts the community and the game. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 4
  • Confused 4

7 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

It’s not about that. Fractal CMs will still be rewarding. It’s about not wanting other players, the majority, to have access to MCs. That’s toxic and elitist. This behavior hurts the community and the game. 

Nah.

Nobody said that MCs shouldn't be available from other sources. People are just saying that they shouldn't be removed from fractal CMs. Those are two distinctively different statements.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Raizel.8175 said:

Nah.

Nobody said that MCs shouldn't be available from other sources. People are just saying that they shouldn't be removed from fractal CMs. Those are two distinctively different statements.

That's what I told him and he told me I am an elitist lol.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

My only real dislike of these changes is the removal of 10 target skills.

Personally I think this is something that should be left upto player choice.
We should have the freedom to choose our target caps with higher caps coming with the trade off of lower individual damage.

I have long been a fan of adding more options to weapon skills rather than forcing us to take what we get with each weapon.
I don't really see a reason why we can't have a second set of weapon skills per weapon that we can pick and choose from to customise our weapon skills.

For example I'll just name a few random skills and what their potential second options could be.

Ranger Longbow 5: increases the target cap to 10 targets and has a slightly larger AoE radius but deals less damage than the base Barrage.
Ranger Axe 1: Gains a melee chain that inflicts bleeding and cripple conditions.
Ranger Axe 2: Throw a fast horizontal spinning axe at your target catching them off guard and inflicting vulnerability.

Warrior Greatsword 2: deals less damage but can now be used while moving.
Warrior Sword 1 chain: Removes bleeding condition from the first 2 skills and improves power damage.

Necromancer Axe 1: Gets a 3 skill melee range chain that cleaves and does increased damage overall.
Necromancer Axe 2: Becomes a short range Melee AoE skill similar to Revenants Vengeful Hammers.

Elementalist Fire attunement staff 5: Becomes a ground targeted single Meteor strike that deals big damage to upto 5 targets and knocks them down, also leaves a fire field at the impact location.
The Meteor impacts the targeted location around 2 seconds after casting.

So yeah basically just bringing more choice and freedom to weapon skills.
Some weapon skills gaining or loosing conditions at the cost or benefit of power damage.
Some weapon skills gaining or loosing range function, a trade of survivability for more damage.
Some weapon skills increasing or lowering their target caps in exchange for  less or more damage output.

I think having choices like this wold not only make build crafting and combat in Gw2 more interesting and diverse, but also more fun as well.
Not to mention it could make all weapons on all classes potentially more appealing in more areas of the game. Plus  it would allow you to double on weapons and use them in different ways on your weapons swaps.

Like a Warrior running 2 greatswords to take advantage of mobile hundred blades and then swapping to stationary hundred blades to hit a stunned boss target super hard.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Regarding the original post -

Well you have good points, and I agree on most. A lot of ppl have also pointed out things that are fair and true.

In my opinion you have another problem ppl dont talk about.  That is the mc log in reward. I would say that we need more mystic coin and clover sources, which this change is intended to give. However, instead of removing mc from CM. They should remove it from log in rewards.  It is stupid that you get mystic coins from login in, you should earn them by PLAYING the game. Not because you have 25 accounts that you log in to everyday to get those sweet coins. I know the acc-farmers will attack me for saying this, but it is true and not healthy for the game at all.

This is a big issue and I belive it needs to be resolved. By removing the X coins from log in reward, and keep them in frac CM and also maybe add them in DRM or spread them out. Would be better. I dont mean that we should lose the amount of mc that log in rewards give you. All I am saying is that we should move it to playable content instead of just logging in. The end chest can be there, it is nice and a good incentive, but the mc should be moved out, better to just give X gold or something else. Maybe gems or, black lion key or a randomized item/loot etc.

And as a final note, Anet needs to actually start playing their own game again. It feels like they are a mile away from the player base. Stop introducing new systems, keep these and refine them. Plz evolve fracs (150 - 200 etc), use DRMs for causal play with good rewards, let strikes become the new raids. But let it be really hard or have different tiers (normal, challenging, legend or something). But plz... please stop adding things. Buckle down and refine these systems.

Sry for any grammar errors or bad english, not native.

Edited by Nochtum.5893
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, vares.8457 said:

I would really like some data on wich you base the assumption of this outcry coming from a "toxic minority". Bold statement, to say the least.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Imba.9451 said:

I would really like some data on wich you base the assumption of this outcry coming from a "toxic minority". Bold statement, to say the least.

You just have to read the posts and the outcry here. At least be honest about your motivation. This change benefits the majority of players. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 6

38 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

You just have to read the posts and the outcry here. At least be honest about your motivation. This change benefits the majority of players. 

So 20 forum posts, wich most of aren't even toxic, reflect the majority of players? There are several things wrong with your obsevations here.

Also, it does not benefit most players, as the coin price to exchange them for clovers doubled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3