Berserker to Marauder?

Roche.7491

36 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

The same way you stat change any other armor or weapons:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stat_changing

- exotic marauder insignia/inscirption (or equivalent item used to craft the exotic version of the stat)

- 5 ecto

- Anthology of Heroes

- old item

Was it really so hard to google "gw2 ascended stat change"?🤨

I can’t seem to find exotic marauder in the market. I only see berserker.

Edited by Roche.7491

1 hour ago, Roche.7491 said:

I can’t seem to find exotic marauder in the market. I only see berserker.

Ah okay, in this case:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marauder_Intricate_Gossamer_Insignia

Maurauder insignia and inscriptions are account bound. You need to craft them yourself. Just be careful not to craft the ascended ones by accident, the exotic ones shouldn't be to expensive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

Why even bother? 

Just have some vitality trinkets on swap alongside your berserker gears.

WvW i imagine? And honestly to learn raids full Marauders isn't a bad idea either. Game is way powercrept you can meet the checks in the first like 4 wings easily without everyone playing glass.

Even for open world i wouldn't advise full Berserker either, i always run Marauders/valks or even Commanders on some builds for it. Just makes it less annoying as if i'm messing around in the openworld i'm probably not in a tryhard mood anyway.

Cele is also smooth sailing on some condi-heavy builds in openworld.

I actually hate how every guide online is like "play Berserker all the time or else !" Its such a new player trap.

Edited by Ashgar.3024
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 2/13/2022 at 3:01 PM, Ashgar.3024 said:

I actually hate how every guide online is like "play Berserker all the time or else !" Its such a new player trap.

Actually I think it's better to try to push new people to use berserker IMO. It's one of the easiest stat combinations to get, it always has been part of the meta with no indication that it will change any time soon (as far as I can tell judging by my couple of months experience with the game), and every profession has a build that works with this stat combo, so if you figure out that you don't like the profession you picked, you can use the same gear on new chars.

Also things like celestial are the actual trap. The moment you get into raids, you will either have to tank or get kicked. So now you have to get a new set and spend more time grinding instead of doing what you wanted to. This of course doesn't apply to marauder, so it's less of an issue there, but I'm glad I went with berserker rather than celestial, commander's, trailblazer or whatever other stat combo with toughness that is considered good for open world. All of those are nice to have once you know what you're doing, but as the first set it would be locking people out of content they might want to do.

What really could use some change is the description of professions both in beginner guides and in the character creation screen, because my choice based on those was very wrong. But that's a different discussion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Sindust.7059 said:

Actually I think it's better to try to push new people to use berserker IMO. It's one of the easiest stat combinations to get, it always has been part of the meta with no indication that it will change any time soon (as far as I can tell judging by my couple of months experience with the game), and every profession has a build that works with this stat combo, so if you figure out that you don't like the profession you picked, you can use the same gear on new chars.

Also things like celestial are the actual trap. The moment you get into raids, you will either have to tank or get kicked. So now you have to get a new set and spend more time grinding instead of doing what you wanted to. This of course doesn't apply to marauder, so it's less of an issue there, but I'm glad I went with berserker rather than celestial, commander's, trailblazer or whatever other stat combo with toughness that is considered good for open world. All of those are nice to have once you know what you're doing, but as the first set it would be locking people out of content they might want to do.

What really could use some change is the description of professions both in beginner guides and in the character creation screen, because my choice based on those was very wrong. But that's a different discussion.

I dont think we should incentivize more people to play tryhard gear.

On 2/12/2022 at 10:26 PM, Cyninja.2954 said:

The same way you stat change any other armor or weapons:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stat_changing

- exotic marauder insignia/inscirption (or equivalent item used to craft the exotic version of the stat)

- 5 ecto

- Anthology of Heroes

- old item

Was it really so hard to google "gw2 ascended stat change"?🤨

The " Was it really so hard to google "gw2 ascended stat change"?🤨" was unnecessary and you know it.

Do better to those asking for help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

The " Was it really so hard to google "gw2 ascended stat change"?🤨" was unnecessary and you know it.

Do better to those asking for help.

and yet my comment helped more in the context of this thread than yours. Funny how that works out isn't it?

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

On 2/13/2022 at 4:06 AM, Vilin.8056 said:

Why even bother? 

Just have some vitality trinkets on swap alongside your berserker gears.

Vitality trinkets would mean either Valkyrie or Soldier's. Both will radically reduce certain damage stats compared to Marauders,;mixing three-stat sets is usually less efficient than using four-stats.

To match Marauder's, you'd need Berserker's, Assassin's, and Valkyrie's all mixed together.

Edited by Hannelore.8153

4 hours ago, Sindust.7059 said:

Calling Celestial a trap ignores the builds where it is actually good.  Suggesting Berserkers is best ignores all the builds that get no value from it, such as anything Condi.  Marauder's does have a place in this game, both in casual and meta builds.

• Like 2

Compared to berserker, marauder trades 10 % less damage for 20 % more sustain, because 4 attribute gear has 10% more attribute points. So it is significantly better than just mixing in some defensive trinkets.

Celestial: since ANet buffed this gear recently, it is viable on anything: power builds, condi builds, hybrid builds, support builds because the attribute numbers are ~80% (!) higher than on 3 attribute gear. Even if your build has no use for one or two of the attributes, it is still good. If you can only afford one attribute combination: take this one!

Berserker: 3303 attribute points (1381 + 2x 961)

Marauder: 3612 attribute points (2x 1173 + 2x 633)

Celestial: 5751 (!) attribute points (9x 639)

3 attribute gear is mandatory for min-maxxing. For everything else it is pretty bad.

• Like 5

Use berseker in expensive ascended armors and weapons and get from almost no cost ascended trinkets from Bitterfrost Frontier and Dragonfall maps from their currencies with more tanky stats; once you get used to play with more aggressive stats gradually replace those trinkets with very low effort.

Also, start grinding a legendary armor (PvE, WvW or PvP, or split pieces) ASAP, since they are the most valuable quality of life items in the entire game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

Calling Celestial a trap ignores the builds where it is actually good.  Suggesting Berserkers is best ignores all the builds that get no value from it, such as anything Condi.  Marauder's does have a place in this game, both in casual and meta builds.

Pretty good at getting sat down by your raid leader to tell you that you have to pick a different set, or if he's not that nice, kicked from the raid without questions asked. Sure, there are builds that work with it, which is why I said it should be done when you know what you're doing. Most if not all of those builds are support builds (or pvp, but that's irrelevant because you don't need to craft anthing for it), they don't work on most professions, and they would still mess with aggro in raids, so it can't be your only option. And as a new player one doesn't have full legendaries to swap stats at will. So yeah, celestial is very much a trap, because it locks you out of content.

7 hours ago, KrHome.1920 said:

Compared to berserker, marauder trades 10 % less damage for 20 % more sustain, because 4 attribute gear has 10% more attribute points. So it is significantly better than just mixing in some defensive trinkets.

Celestial: since ANet buffed this gear recently, it is viable on anything: power builds, condi builds, hybrid builds, support builds because the attribute numbers are ~80% (!) higher than on 3 attribute gear. Even if your build has no use for one or two of the attributes, it is still good. If you can only afford one attribute combination: take this one!

3 attribute gear is mandatory for min-maxxing. For everything else it is pretty bad.

Celestial makes you mediocre at everything, and not really good at anything, except for a few support builds that actually take advantage of all but 2 or 3 of those stats (Condi alacren and hybrid firebrand, maybe chrono tank? Can't imagine a use for a warrior, thief or ranger with it, not sure about the rest). But even if you do happen to find a cele build that is actually good, have fun tanking or getting kicked.

So no, only take celestial if you know what you're doing. And the same is true for anything with toughness on it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sindust.7059 said:

And as a new player one doesn't have full legendaries to swap stats at will. So yeah, celestial is very much a trap, because it locks you out of content.

It locks you out of content? 

I get you are focused on raiding but, I would believe the conversation should be "What profession do you want to play, this is the recommended gear and build".

Because:

16 minutes ago, Sindust.7059 said:

Pretty good at getting sat down by your raid leader to tell you that you have to pick a different set, or if he's not that nice, kicked from the raid without questions asked.

If a raid leader is going to pick apart your build, maybe even kick you, it doesn't matter what gear you are running if you aren't running meta gear.

Celestial has it's applications, in raiding and in other game modes.  Just as Marauder and other stat sets.  Making blanket statements about gear stats in this game is foolish by any stretch.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

the conversation should be "What profession do you want to play, this is the recommended gear and build"

So basically you're agreeing with everything I said about celestial. Now fight it out with this guy saying this about celestial:

9 hours ago, KrHome.1920 said:

If you can only afford one attribute combination: take this one!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sindust.7059 said:

So basically you're agreeing with everything I said about celestial. Now fight it out with this guy saying this about celestial:

You called it a Trap.  I disagree with this.

You can choose to agree with me, and that is fine, but I do not agree with most of what you said in this thread.

11 hours ago, KrHome.1920 said:

For me (uber casual) in my ignorance I saw celestial stats and was thinking OMG why doesn't everyone have that for everything? Understanding builds I do get why its not the absolute best for strictly a DPS build but I used my celestial set on almost all professions (maybe thats lazy I dunno) but I've been pretty happy? Sure I'm not killing a foe in 1 sec but I'm sure not in downstate a lot either. I then just pick sigils, runes, food and utility per the build I'm more focused on like strike dps or condi dps.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

I do not agree with most of what you said in this thread

I said that celestial is a pick for people who know what they are doing. You said that it's about knowing which stats work with which profession. That's the same thing. You're not disagreeing on content, you're disagreeing on the characterization. The people I'm responsing to made blanket statements (which you criticized), not me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/15/2022 at 2:19 PM, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

It's not bad advice per se.  It's simply specific to certain types of content and certain types of builds.  If, for instance, a new player is struggling with survival in open world/story content and isn't particularly interested in raids, there is nothing wrong with running something like celestial (if it's build appropriate).  Why would you advise such a player to run berserker?

On the other hand, some players are trying to get into content like raids as quickly as possible.  I would expect such players to have done at least a little homework before showing up here to ask questions, but if they really didn't know a thing about appropriate stats for raids then advising them to grab a set of berserker gear is probably the right call (assuming power DPS, of course).

Now if the argument is that celestial makes players lazy or develop bad habits, that's just laughable.  You still benefit in celestial from dodging properly.  Besides, if anything it's raiding that makes you lazy and develop bad habits.  You don't have stability, aegis, and insta-heal-to-full in solo play the way you do in group content.  There are some things that need to be avoided, but a lot of it your supports will "avoid" for you while you just stand there and roll face.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

For me (uber casual) in my ignorance I saw celestial stats and was thinking OMG why doesn't everyone have that for everything? Understanding builds I do get why its not the absolute best for strictly a DPS build but I used my celestial set on almost all professions (maybe thats lazy I dunno) but I've been pretty happy? Sure I'm not killing a foe in 1 sec but I'm sure not in downstate a lot either. I then just pick sigils, runes, food and utility per the build I'm more focused on like strike dps or condi dps.

For new or otherwise less-skilled players who aren't fast-tracking to raids I think the celestial freebie gear update was one of the most impactful changes they've ever made.  You'll be tankier and deal better damage on any build you try than the soldier stats they used to hand out.  I think it's been a huge QoL improvement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

advising them to grab a set of berserker gear is probably the right call (assuming power DPS, of course).

I don't think you even need to assume power DPS. Just statistically, when asked "I wanna get into raids, what gear should I use?", answering "berserker" will be the right answer more often than any other answer. Viper close second, but is less applicable in OW, and a tiny bit harder to get.

• Like 1